Okay, I have a related question.  When we stayed at Hunting Island last month, we were in an oceann front site.  There was no comfort station near us.  The closest one was across two "roads" with campsites in between.  Most of the time, we took the road around to get to the CS, but at night, and after i hurt my knee and could barely walk, we went over the ground between two campsites.  We have been in a similar situation before and had people cross near our campsite to get to the CS and never minded.  

But now I am wondering.  Is this an acceptable practice?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the problem is Common courtesy is no longer very common.  If they were my kids they wouldn't be on your site at all.  They would walk to the other by by using the road.  Count me as part of th

If he was actually in a smoking area, that's fine.  I'd have just moved.   If not, I'd have been quite annoyed and probably would have had a "coughing" fit to see if that got any reaction.   If not...

I don't understand parents of young kids these days.   After all we have heard about, how can they let their kids run around unsupervised in a place where they have no idea who might be camping in the

There's only 10 feet between me and the water. They're actually walking right by our fire.

Are they still hanging around? 

Time for some scary ghost stories. Something about a hoard of zombies that sneak up on kids that hang out near the lake after sundown.They are drawn to the heat of campfires and only those within the confines of their own campsites are safe.

Make sure to tell the story loudly and enunciate. 

That should do it!  

Count me in on the cranky crowd. Sometimes with some campground layouts, it is unavoidable. Bt you do what you can to be courteous to other campers and stay clear. In Kelly's case it looks like there is plenty of room for them not to intrude. I believe the hose option is the next best step to take.

I remember at a very young age being taught campground etiquette, you do not walk into someone's site without their permission.  It is plain and simple, no different than if you walked into someone's house or hotel room without an invite.  We have not encountered this problem while at FWC but I would be the first to address the issue with said child and then said parent. 

As far as kids and dogs go - when we walk our dogs I do not let strangers come up to them and pet them (particularly kids)  my dogs probably would not do anything to them, they love kids but I have two huskies (65 and 72 pounds each) that sometimes lose their mind and bring their paws up and their nails hurt.  I have a husky cross also and she is just happier seeing people she knows.  I will verbally stop a child when I notice them trying to advance on the dogs.  I really hate the comments that follow, "oh, they bite people?"  No, they do not bite but I don't want you near them or distracting them.  I actually scared the pants off one kid who was on a bike at our local park.  We were walking the dogs off of the bike path in the grass in order to avoid bikes and strollers, etc.  and this "charming young lad" saw fit to buzz right by the rear of my older husky-cross and he made her jump and shake.  Yep, brought out my best US Army Drill Instructor voice and got the young lad's attention and proceeded to inform him that it was dangerous to buzz by a dog on the bike.  I don't want to get sued because he runs into my dog that he has frightened and falls from his bike and also injures my dog.  His eyes were as big as saucers; probably never realized that a middle-aged woman could holler like that.  He was about 9 - 11 years old and had obviously never been taught proper riding rules either. 

I would love to share the pics of the huskies but how from my flickr? ???  Just a little bit "social media" challenged here. :rofl3:

You need to copy the image source from Flickr.  Once you get to the image page that looks like this...

Flickr.jpg

...you should be able to right click the image - on the Mac it gives me the option to "copy image location" - not sure what it says on a PC.

Then when you're typing your message here, click on the image icon above, the one that looks like a little tree...

Image.jpg

...paste the image location in the box that pops up.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/32485976@N04/14426051890/player/" width="800" height="534" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

I used to be able to get to a screen that looks like the one you posted but I haven't been able to do that now for a couple of years.  I have everything set for public

Looks like it's grabbing source code that includes an iframe (insert technobabble here) - which isn't going to do what you want it to.

However when I go to that link and right click one of the photos, I can do a "copy image source" and paste it here...

14426051890_c0f31a5f9d_h.jpg

Keep in mind I'm on a Mac.  Unfortunately I have no idea how it works on a PC.

When I click your link I get to here

Flickr-photos1.jpg

On that screen, click the arrow thingy in the bottom right and the box with sizes will come up.  If you click "view all sizes" you should get this...

Flickr-photos2.jpg

This is where I right click to "copy image source" and then when I paste here...

5233903263_32b25a3fc9_b.jpg

Ta Dah!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to hijack the thread here since it has been dormant for a time, and this is still on the subject of etiquette.  We just returned from the Fort today, and we encountered something that to me was pretty irritating.  I wanted to post it to see if perhaps I was over-reacting.

In any case, my wife and I headed over to the dock last night to watch the Electrical Water Pageant (sorry Lou) and then Wishes.  We picked out a couple of chairs on the right side (facing the water) behind the boat rental building.  Over time, another couple joined us, followed by a family of a grand mother, kids, grand kids and their dog; all very nice.  Other families gathered and waited along the railing.  About 10 minutes before Wishes, some guy who looks like he thought he belonged on the cover of GQ magazine walked to the edge of assembled crowd, pulls out a huge cigar, lights it, and then walks into the middle of the group to join his family, fumigating everybody around him.  I looked at him as he walked by and said, "Thanks a lot." and he either ignored me or didn't hear; and it was obvious he had no concern about how he was stinking up the place for everybody who was there well before him and his family.  Finally, my wife and I moved to the dock itself to get away from him, and I could see several other families leaving.  

After Wishes ended, I was still pretty annoyed that someone could be so obviously self absorbed.  It had to be obvious that what he was doing was showing a total lack of consideration for other people since he certainly could have waited another 15 or 20 minutes before lighting up.  I grew up with a grandfather who loved his cigars, so it isn't the cigar that bothers me.  It is the fact that many people can't stand the smell, and many are allergic to it (my father was); and in spite of that, this guy couldn't have cared less.

My wife says I should not have let it bother me like that, even though the guy was wrong.  Am I way out of touch with what should be acceptable behavior?  To me this is worse than the people who wade into a crowd in front of people who have been waiting for a long time for a parade or fireworks and then stick their kids on their shoulders and block everybody's view.