GDF and Z Ditch Daddy and Dash to Disney

Once we arrived at the MK, something crazy happened. Elena got some rope out of her bag, tied me up, and dragged me over to the little kiosk in front of the gate. She grabbed our Magic Bands and my purse and forced me to upgrade our 5 day tickets to an AP. I kept waiting for a CM to stop her, to save me, but no one came to my rescue! After the transaction, I kept begging for her to let me go and promised not to run, so she finally did.

So, is Elena available for rent? ummm, I mean, how horrible that must have been for you!

I like Tom Sawyer Island for kids 5 - 10 ish range when there are gaps in the touring plan and they need to run around and explore for a while. And I like watching BTMRR from there. I agree that it would be a good place for a character meet.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great start to rope drop day! Z can't be tied down to just one lady. He's a young man still. :rofl2: I mean it's not his fault if the princesses can't resist him.....unless he gives them the smolder.

When we left off, we’d just ridden Barnstormer twice without exiting the ride. The next moment made me a little upset… Dumbo was a walk on. I asked Z if he wanted to ride, and he said NO. My boy is to

As always, what a fantastic trip report. I feel like I was there. Still more to come, yes?

I always used to visit Tom Sawyer's Island when Aunt Polly's was open.  We'd get ice cream in the afternoon and relax a bit.  Once Polly's closed, the place wasn't worth visiting IMO.  I agree it could be much better utilized.  The issue is access.  The river boat is too tall to build a bridge I would think.  So they have to use the rafts to get to the island, which wouldn't be practical if they built something really worthwhile out there.  Come to think of it, Aaron's idea is perfect.  

I barely remember Aunt Polly's being open. Ice cream over there would have been nice because the boys would have been willing to sit and relax a bit.

I figured you'd agree with his plan. Poor Ariel. 

So, is Elena available for rent? ummm, I mean, how horrible that must have been for you!

I like Tom Sawyer Island for kids 5 - 10 ish range when there are gaps in the touring plan and they need to run around and explore for a while. And I like watching BTMRR from there. I agree that it would be a good place for a character meet.

I hope Elena doesn't traumatize anyone else. That would be awful.  :rofl2:

The boys did really enjoy it. They thought the raft/boat ride was fun, and they felt brave after the caves. 

Alright, so we left Tom’s island and headed to POTC to cash in our FP+.

IMG_7856.jpg

I don’t think I’ve ever used FP+ here. Even with it, I think we waited 10ish minutes.

IMG_7857.jpg

We got sent to the other side. I don’t think I’ve ever loaded from there.

IMG_7858.jpg

Yo ho

IMG_7859.jpg

IMG_7860.jpg

After our adventure in the Caribbean, we boarded the train.

I wonder how many selfies I’ve put in this report? Probably too many. Oh well! Usually I take pictures of Jason and Z, but Jason wasn’t here.

IMG_7861.jpg

We had some time to kill, and we thought Barnstormer and Dumbo could be just the thing. We got off in Fantasyland. I think Barnstormer said it was a 20 minute wait, but they were using the extended queue. It looked like way more than 20 minutes, and I don’t wait that long for rides, especially a 30 second one.

From what I remember, Dumbo was about the same BUT, they have that indoor playground… And that playground has air conditioning. AIR!!! In July!!!

Bless Dumbo!

IMG_7862.jpg

There was barely anyone in here. And it was nice and cool. It was glorious!

IMG_7864.jpg

IMG_7865.jpg

IMG_7866.jpg

In all seriousness, up until now I’ve avoided this area at all cost. But when it wasn’t crowded, it was great. We had seats and AC. Perfection. AND, I tricked Z into riding Dumbo! See, he’s not really too old.

IMG_7867.jpg

I dedicate this picture to Mo and Katman. Keep in mind, I took this picture, so I could laugh about it before the pin was posted on facebook.

I think this is Z and me on most rides.

IMG_7868.jpg

My goodness, he look too grown up here. 

IMG_7869.jpg

The view of sunset here was AMAZING! (you hear that Troll?) Amazing!

Blurry but you get the idea.

IMG_7870.jpg

This one is better.

a4c211f5-d5c3-4be4-9cbb-c2f23f8a1c1e.jpg

Dumbo is also one of my favorite rides at night. But sunset was really cool too.

Next, we went Under the Sea. There was a 20 minute wait posted. You know what that means for this ride, right?

Yep, it was a walk on.

IMG_7872.jpg

IMG_7873.jpg

For the record, kids love this ride. It could be better, but it’s not as bad as Dave and Aaron claim.

And guess what? It’s almost time… no, not for Delsa… For the real Anna and Elsa. They’re going to get their own post. But here’s a preview of Z in line. He was a little excited.

0bf84454-4b07-4ba9-823c-8183113af3ac.jpg

We meet the Frozen sisters in the next update! 

Your little man is too funny...

Tom Sawyer island, we really need to do this.  Boo is almost 7.5 and I don't think we've been out there since she was 2 or 3 (really too young to enjoy it and soon she'll be too old to like it).  I'll make sure we put that one on the "to do" list for October.

POTC...real question is:  did you loose a finger?

Next, we went Under the Sea. There was a 20 minute wait posted. You know what that means for this ride, right?

Yep, it was a walk on.

For the record, kids love this ride. It could be better, but it’s not as bad as Dave and Aaron claim.

The evidence backs me up.  Any ride that is walk on during a holiday weekend either has enormous capacity (like COP).....or SMB.  

I'm pretty sure nothing has changed since the 80s. 

Au contraire.  Tom Sawyer Island is a shadow of its former self. 

It used to have awesome themed playground equipment, such as this tree stump merry-go-round being enjoyed by the TCD girls circa 1999:

tsi_zpsa0021e32.jpg

I also recall a see-saw type item that looked like a giant boulder.  This was all fabulously dangerous stuff-as playground equipment used to be back in the day.  I distinctly remember the shrieks of a poor child whose fingers were caught under that teetering boulder.  I'm sure that happened all the time.  And worse.  Ah, the good old days.

Also, you had no photos of the barrel bridge or the Fort on the island.  Did y'all not enjoy those amenities?

TCD

Your little man is too funny...

Tom Sawyer island, we really need to do this.  Boo is almost 7.5 and I don't think we've been out there since she was 2 or 3 (really too young to enjoy it and soon she'll be too old to like it).  I'll make sure we put that one on the "to do" list for October.

POTC...real question is:  did you loose a finger?

It's worth a visit, but I'm not rushing back. The boys did enjoy it.

On POTC, you'll never believe this, but I was actually smart enough to keep my hands in the boat. Shocking! 

With the free drinks and all you get that's pretty good

Agreed. 

I love how you went from being on a Disney ban for a year to getting an AP.

You know... my husband once told me (after he made a large purchase) that sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. He should have never told me that. If he hadn't, Elena might not have tied me up and forced me to buy an AP.

The evidence backs me up.  Any ride that is walk on during a holiday weekend either has enormous capacity (like COP).....or SMB.  

So COP doesn't SMB?

Au contraire.  Tom Sawyer Island is a shadow of its former self. 

It used to have awesome themed playground equipment, such as this tree stump merry-go-round being enjoyed by the TCD girls circa 1999:

tsi_zpsa0021e32.jpg

I also recall a see-saw type item that looked like a giant boulder.  This was all fabulously dangerous stuff-as playground equipment used to be back in the day.  I distinctly remember the shrieks of a poor child whose fingers were caught under that teetering boulder.  I'm sure that happened all the time.  And worse.  Ah, the good old days.

Also, you had no photos of the barrel bridge or the Fort on the island.  Did y'all not enjoy those amenities?

TCD

You know what, I don't remember that playground equipment. I was wrong. 

We didn't do the bridge or fort. We needed to get back to our POTC FP+. Plus, we were kind of done with wandering in the heat. The caves had AC though. I could have hung out there a bit longer. 

Me too.  Especially since the APs will equate to more frequent TRs!  :)

In all fairness, my "ban" ends in January. I only have 1 more trip planned before then.  :rofl2: But yes, there will definitely be a Food and Wine report and an Easter report. Whooo Hooo! 

It’s time for the main event. It’s time to meet Elsa and Anna!

If you recall, we had 3 different FP+ times that all overlapped at 9:20. I knew that meant that we could really go at 9:15 since you’re allowed to show up 5 minutes early.

We wandered over that way, and the area was crowded. I’m not sure if it was people about to get in the standby line or people waiting for their FP+ time or Wishes, but it was packed. I saw that they were bringing the FP+ people in the exit at the gift shop, so I suggested to Elena that we get out of the huge crowd and wait at the mouth of the gift shop.

We arrived there at 9:10, so we had 5 minutes to wait, but we were in the AC and out of the crowd.

The CM working the entrance saw us, and I let her know we had 3 different FP+ times and that we needed to wait 5 minutes until one of them was good. She let me know that you can actually enter 5 minutes early. I thanked her for telling us but let her know that our last FP+ time was actually 10 minutes away, so I had accounted for the grace period when I said 5 minutes. She kind of looked around and told us to come in anyway. She did something to our last band that made it turn green (vs. the dreaded blue). Yay! We were in a bit early. During that whole time, no one else was coming in the FP+ entrance, so they really must not give out many FP+ for the sisters.

Do you remember how excited Z was?

edc0d46a-24a9-446c-9062-2f45a1fcf353.jpg

0bf84454-4b07-4ba9-823c-8183113af3ac.jpg

D was pretty excited too!

Anna was great, totally in character and didn’t rush things.

wd001wdw201418995267320.jpeg

wd002wdw201418995267342.jpeg

wd003wdw201418995267344.jpeg

wd004wdw201418995267345.jpeg

IMG_7876.jpg

wd007wdw201418995267348.jpeg

wd009wdw201418995267351.jpeg

I think D is in awe.

wd013wdw201418995267324.jpeg

wd025wdw201418995267329.jpeg

And then it was time for the lady who might be in the running for wife #3…

wd011wdw201418995267145.jpeg

wd018wdw201418995267148.jpeg

I actually think the picture I took is the best, but I need to fix the color.

IMG_7878.jpg

wd026wdw201418995267152.jpeg

Again, D is in awe.

wd029wdw201418995267335.jpeg

wd032wdw201418995267338.jpeg

Group shot!

wd035wdw201418995267481.jpeg

After that, it was time for Wishes! We were already in back of the castle, so that’s where we watched. I don’t have many pictures, but here are a few.

IMG_7894.jpg

IMG_7896.jpg

I’ve never seen these people around before, but I don’t usually watch from here.

IMG_7897.jpg

I was hoping we could walk on to Buzz at this point, so we headed that way.

This is the FP+ return line for Space. Magical.

IMG_7907.jpg

We went by Buzz, and they were still using the outside queue. Crazy! Oh well, it had been a long day, so we decided to head back to the camper.

Tomorrow is our last day, but it contains a couple of first visits to two restaurants. Both were good and reasonably priced, but one probably makes my top 5 dishes I’ve eaten at Disney, and it contained some special moments I'll never forget. Stay tuned. 

So it looks like they have split Anna and Elsa and kicked Aurora out.  When my DW and DD waited in line Anna and Elsa were together and you ot pictures of them together, then went to go see Aurora.

This will probably make the line go a little bit faster.

So it looks like they have split Anna and Elsa and kicked Aurora out.  When my DW and DD waited in line Anna and Elsa were together and you ot pictures of them together, then went to go see Aurora.

This will probably make the line go a little bit faster.

Yes, Aurora got the boot, and it has apparently helped with making the line move faster. 

Great pics with A&E!

Z definitely looked excited!

It was the highlight of his trip, I think. Although she apparently hasn't made 3rd wife status. Ariel is still #1. 

Love the excitement on Z's face!

It's the best. One of the things I LOVE about Disney. 

Been reading along this whole time.  Looks like you and Z had so much fun together.  Loved his I am excited face before meeting Anna and Elsa.   So cute!   

Thanks for reading! Having special mom/son time was great. I can't wait to do it again. He was just a "bit" excited to meet Anna and Elsa. LOL

Interesting spotting on the fireworks guy!

I've never seen him before. Have you? I'm guessing it's because they shoot some of the fireworks off the roof back there. 

I am all caught up...  I really liked the dessert party and it is much better that the MK version....  Z is awesome.....   Congrats on the AP's ....   I hope the trauma has healed since that scary event.

I've started the healing process. I think the F&W Festival will make me feel a lot better. 

We’ve made it to our last full day. Since our FP+ times were later in the day, we weren’t in a big rush to get to the MK.

I saw this PUP that has an impressive tarp set up. This was actually before the discussion here about using tarps as canopies. I wonder how long all that took.

IMG_7908.jpg

There was more lizard catching… and releasing…

IMG_7909.jpg

It looks like the 1500 loop is getting new water heaters in the bathroom. At least, I think that’s what those are. I’m sure they in by now though.

IMG_7910.jpg

This was a little bitter sweet. We were at Disney and happy to be there, but it was Elena’s dad’s birthday. He’s in heaven, so the day is difficult for Elena. Ever since his death, D has released a balloon on his birthday. Elena had mentioned this a few days before because she was wondering how she could get a balloon, figuring worst case we could get one of the balloon in the MK, even though she didn’t really want to do it there. 

Well, I went to the Outpost to put some gift cards towards my account, and guess what was all over the reception area? Balloons! They were wrapped around the ropes for the lines with individual weights on them. They might be there all the time, but I’ve never seen them there. I asked if I could have one, and they said sure.

I brought it back to the campsite, and Elena was so excited. It was like it was meant to be. We decided D would release it on the beach.

IMG_7911.jpg

And after taking some time to remember him, that’s what they did.

D's balloon going to visit his grandfather in heaven. I think it captures the moment well. 

IMG_7912.jpg

I was honored that I got to share that time with them.

After that, it was time for lunch, and I had planned we’d eat somewhere I’d never had lunch before… Trails End. I’d eaten breakfast there and done takeout there, but I’ve never had their lunch.

That’s when I saw the work on Pioneer Hall.

3080AF28-47BC-49BC-A197-D5BCD3A9F799.jpg

We didn’t have an ADR, but it wasn’t very crowded.

IMG_7915.jpg

Here’s the menu.

IMG_7916.jpg

The boys were being a little bratty, so the moms decided we should have a drink with lunch. Cheers.

IMG_7917.jpg

Per usual, the chef came out to talk to Elena. He was very personable. She was going to order a salad until he told her that he could make a gluten free flatbread for her. Pizza is one of the things she misses the most. So she ordered the roasted veggie flatbread, and I ordered shrimp and grits. Shrimp and grits is one of my favorite dishes. It’s a safe bet that if it’s on the menu, I’m going to order it.

This version was spicy with Andouille sausage. YUM!!!!

IMG_7918.jpg

It was delicious and looked like something that was ordered in a higher end restaurant. I’m kind of a shrimp and grits connoisseur, and this gets two thumbs up from me. In fact, I think I’d place it in my top 5 things ever eaten at WDW. I cleaned my plate. And at $17.99, it’s pretty reasonable for WDW.

Elena was equally impressed with her flatbread.

IMG_7919.jpg

She declared that it was the best thing she’d eaten lately.

Guess who came by our table?

Ms. Josephine!

IMG_7922.jpg

We enjoyed chatting with her. Apparently, she’s famous for her iced coffee. Everyone in there way talking about how good it is and how it’s much better than Starbucks. I’m going to have to have her make me one next time.

We headed out with full bellies. If you haven't made time to eat lunch at Trails End, DO IT! Really. It's a quiet, excellent meal at a reasonable price. 

It wasn't a crowded day at the Settlement.

IMG_7925.jpg

Thankfully not a parking lot yet.

IMG_7936.jpg

Ms. Josephine was outside, and she wanted to show the boys how she could build with the hula hoops.

IMG_7926.jpg

They were amazed. Here are her and Z admiring their creation.

IMG_7927.jpg

Z then decided that he wanted to learn to hula hoop. Since he’s so little, I had my doubts that he could do it. D decided to try too. Ms. Josephine coached them from the sideline.

IMG_7928.jpg

Guess what I found out? Elena is a hula hoop champion! She can hula all day.

IMG_7930.jpg

Ms. Josephine kept encouraging them. She was giving them tips and being so patient. And guess what… Z got it!

IMG_7932.jpg

He was so proud! He’s looking at her with a big smile here. I have a great video too.

IMG_7933.jpg

Isn’t that awesome? That’s one of those moments that makes you realize how awesome the Fort is. And that’s something I’ll remember forever, and it was free!

Next up we decided to take the boys for a pony ride.

IMG_7937.jpg

IMG_7938.jpg

TCD’s favorite sign

IMG_7939.jpg

I never realized they grew pumpkins here. Have they always, and I just missed it?

IMG_7940.jpg

Rides are still $5.

IMG_7941.jpg

IMG_7942.jpg

I love that the parents get to lead the ride.

IMG_7943.jpg

Cutie

IMG_7944.jpg

Another cutie!

IMG_7946.jpg

Both cuties

IMG_7950.jpg

After the pony ride, it was time to head to the MK! We’re going to ride the Mine Train (first time for Elena and D) and go to a restaurant where I’ve never eaten.