GDF and Z Ditch Daddy and Dash to Disney

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great start to rope drop day! Z can't be tied down to just one lady. He's a young man still. :rofl2: I mean it's not his fault if the princesses can't resist him.....unless he gives them the smolder.

When we left off, we’d just ridden Barnstormer twice without exiting the ride. The next moment made me a little upset… Dumbo was a walk on. I asked Z if he wanted to ride, and he said NO. My boy is to

As always, what a fantastic trip report. I feel like I was there. Still more to come, yes?

Great updates, Kelly.  I love the selfies!

The selfies were a great way for me to remember what we did. And Z thinks they're fun. 

This really makes me want to do a mommy son trip

Beckers, I was a little (but not too) worried about the days it was just us, but it was SO MUCH FUN. It was great bonding time, and we laughed so much that day. I know he might not remember that day in the MK later in life, but I will remember it always. 

When I get around to my 4th of July TR, you will see that you made a good choice heading away from Main Street. You think you were crowded? Wait until you see how things were on Main Street.

TCD

Really? I can't imagine it being more crowded! I really hope you get to finish your older report and start the 4th ASAP! 

I meant to comment about how your MB's didn't work at Splash.

We have had this happen a few times now- a ride closes because of weather or another issue and you can't use your FP+. The way it's supposed to work is that you're supposed to get an email telling you you can return after your time window or choose another attraction. But, about half the time I haven't received that email. One of those was for the Mine Train, and I got the dreaded blue light. I had to do the same thing- explain the situation to the CM, and she let us on. But, that's not how it's supposed to happen, and that CM could have declined to admit us. Another of the many glitches in the My Disney Experience mess.

TCD

Those crowds look insane....but I'd try it once for the experience.  

It was worth it once. I think I'll watch from outside if I'm ever there in the future. 

Great updates Kelly.

Nice work with the rides and meets post fireworks.

I would go crazy in those crowds.

My husband would too. It's a good thing he wasn't there. The crowds were only REALLY bad that day after the parade at noon. I had easy waits in the morning and later at night. There's a reason we usually leave the park midday. 

I agree with Aaron... I would go crazy in those crowds as well, especially with a stroller and the concern of people hitting/running into my kid.  

So happy that the two of you had a great time though :)

No one really ran into him. I was a little surprised by that. We really did have a great time. It was worth it. 

I tried it once, never again.

I think I'm with you. But like I said, the morning and late night weren't bad. 

I meant to comment about how your MB's didn't work at Splash.

We have had this happen a few times now- a ride closes because of weather or another issue and you can't use your FP+. The way it's supposed to work is that you're supposed to get an email telling you you can return after your time window or choose another attraction. But, about half the time I haven't received that email. One of those was for the Mine Train, and I got the dreaded blue light. I had to do the same thing- explain the situation to the CM, and she let us on. But, that's not how it's supposed to happen, and that CM could have declined to admit us. Another of the many glitches in the My Disney Experience mess.

TCD

I'm glad you brought this back up. I was expecting an email. It never came. I checked throughout the day. I'm glad it worked out for both of us, but I could see it being a problem. Z would have been devastated to be turned away from Splash a second time. 

On Saturday, the 5th, we slept in! Parents of other young children, don’t hate… Z knows how to sleep! Since we stayed up much past his bedtime, I believe he woke up at 10:15 the next morning. Ahhh…. That was nice. I had a text from my friend, Elena, letting me know that they were close.

After getting them settled, we headed to the bus stop. We had FP+ for Soarin, Nemo, and the Character Spot. I figured we wouldn’t need Nemo, but you have to pick 3, so I did.

Before too long, our bus arrived.

IMG_7632.jpg

Bus selfie

IMG_7633.jpg

Some pictures from when we arrived at Epcot. Our boys are only a couple of months apart in age.

wd070wdw201418694341803.jpeg

wd071wdw201418694341804.jpeg

Whooo Hooo! In a couple of months, we’ll be posing like this without our kids!

wd002wdw201418694341807.jpeg

I’ve mentioned this before, but Elena is allergic to gluten. I’m not sure if she likes to meet me at Disney because we’re such good friends or if she gets excited about all her food options. Maybe a little of both! J We headed to Sunshine Seasons for some lunch. We had Soarin FP+ for a bit later, and I figured SS would have some great options for everyone.

Elena had sushi, but I don’t have a picture.

I had the Mongolian Beef. It was good and very large portion. I was hungry but couldn’t finish it all.

IMG_7636.jpg

Z had the grilled chicken Caesar. That’s not the best picture of him, but do you see how large that is for a kid’s meal? He also got 2 sides (grapes and a cookie) and a drink. I think it was $6.99. I tried it, and it was really good. I will be ordering the kid’s grilled chicken Caesar next time!

IMG_7637.jpg

Cheese!

IMG_7638.jpg

I like Sunshine Seasons. We’re usually still in Future World at lunch. There is lots of seating and options, plus… free refills!

We still had a few minutes before our FP, so we hoped on Living with the Land. It was about a 5 minute wait.

IMG_7639.jpg

IMG_7640.jpg

IMG_7642.jpg

I know some people think that ride is boring, but I love it. And if you do too, I also recommend the Behind the Seeds tour.

Next up was Soarin. It was D’s first time riding it and a favorite of Z, so both were excited. But I don’t have pictures. Fail.

After that, we headed to Nemo, and I was right… no FP+ needed. I changed it to Maelstrom, but the time was late in the day. I wasn’t sure we’d still be there, but that was OK.

IMG_7644.jpg

Z finds these jelly fish very cool for some reason.

IMG_7645.jpg

We walked around the aquarium for a bit. I can’t help it, but I really liked when it was supposed to be an underwater station.

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7647.jpg

Then it was time to meet some characters at the Character Spot! But apparently, I haven’t uploaded those pictures yet, so that will be the next update.

I am so far behind on the FF reading.  Work has been rough since my return from vacation.

A few comments:

That was a lot of Turkeys you posted in one of your updates.

Nice job on the TCD hippie pic.

Those crowds are not for me, tho I love firewotks.

Tink is a female.

I wish Living With The Land was a 5 minute standby when I was there.  We passed.

Great set of updates.

Okay... I have eaten the kid's Caesar salad for lunch and I too really like the Living with the Land ride :)  I always want to go home and plant things (that I would, quite quickly, kill but hey... at least I want to try ;) ).

That salad was awesome!!! They made it fresh in front of me, asked if he liked cheese, and when I said he liked it a lot, she added more. 

I'm a Living with the Land nerd. Do the tour if you haven't. It's cheap!

I am so far behind on the FF reading.  Work has been rough since my return from vacation.

A few comments:

That was a lot of Turkeys you posted in one of your updates.

Nice job on the TCD hippie pic.

Those crowds are not for me, tho I love firewotks.

Tink is a female.

I wish Living With The Land was a 5 minute standby when I was there.  We passed.

Great set of updates.

Work is not an excuse. Get you priorities right. We've learned that there is a lot of Thanksgiving in the 1500 loop and that TCD is a hippie. I am also anti crowd, but as I said... YOLO. 

That was definitely Tinkerbell and not Tinkerbill. Thank goodness. 

I have to try the kid's Caesar salad for lunch.  We like Living with the Land too.

I will be ordering it next time! So much food for a very good price. And like I said above, it was fresh tossed. YUM

We all love the Living with the Land ride also.....never done the tour but I would like to at some point.

Do it!!!! They'll have your kids help, and they'll like it too. 

We love the ride and did the tour our very first trip in 2006.  It was worth the price for us, we loved it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I thought I might be. 

Wow! I am so impressed with your salad eating little man.  Even our eldest, who will try most any vegetable and is a great eater, will not eat salad.  Our youngest? Won't even stand near a vegetable.

We do like Living with the Land.  Back in January when we took the kids out of school a few days for marathon weekend, our eldest's homework included lots of 3rd grade geometry.  We took pics of the greenhouse ceiling and spaceship Earth and taught him about geodesic spheres.  We also took pics of the hydroponics area and emailed them all back to his teacher.  He got to do a show and tell when we got home.

I am impressed with your handling of the MK on such a busy day. Taking the stroller for Z was a brilliant idea. I know there is the thread about when are they too old. To me this is a perfect example of why you cannot put a specific age on that. You were there by yourself with a young child on one of the busiest days of the year. If you did not have the stroller for him I would hate to think of his poor little feet. Well probably more like your poor aching back.

Now that you have mentioned your friend Elena by name in the trip report and posted pictures of her, isn't she suppose to chime in here?

Wow! I am so impressed with your salad eating little man.  Even our eldest, who will try most any vegetable and is a great eater, will not eat salad.  Our youngest? Won't even stand near a vegetable.

We do like Living with the Land.  Back in January when we took the kids out of school a few days for marathon weekend, our eldest's homework included lots of 3rd grade geometry.  We took pics of the greenhouse ceiling and spaceship Earth and taught him about geodesic spheres.  We also took pics of the hydroponics area and emailed them all back to his teacher.  He got to do a show and tell when we got home.

For the record, I didn't eat salad at his age either, but I love that he eats like a mini adult. He'll pretty much eat anything except seafood. 

Love that you used your trip as a learning experience. 

I am impressed with your handling of the MK on such a busy day. Taking the stroller for Z was a brilliant idea. I know there is the thread about when are they too old. To me this is a perfect example of why you cannot put a specific age on that. You were there by yourself with a young child on one of the busiest days of the year. If you did not have the stroller for him I would hate to think of his poor little feet. Well probably more like your poor aching back.

Now that you have mentioned your friend Elena by name in the trip report and posted pictures of her, isn't she suppose to chime in here?

I agree about the stroller. I actually didn't want to bring it for RD, but once I had it, I was glad. 

And Elena actually did join FF.net during her trip. But the lucky lady is back at Disney right now. 

Your waffle looks good we always get one and I can't believe we forgot to get one last week. The emails were coming through last week for down rides.

The waffles are GOOD! 

Okay, I was way behind but am now caught up.  Random thoughts:

I really can't believe how much you got done in one day at the MK.  That's just astounding.

That waffle looks to die for.  Wish I had gotten one last week.

I wish I had known to push back a little bit when we were told we were hours behind on Safari one day last week, when I am virtually certain that it did go down during our FP.  But I didn't get an email and just wound up figuring that they were right and that my  memory of seeing on the app that it was down was wrong.  Could have saved 30 minutes in the standby line.

Glad you got to see TCD and didn't have stupid camera issues.  Like I did.  Ugh.  I'm working on a trip report and will have no proof whatsoever that I finally got to meet him.

Finally, I hate to say that we are not Living with the Land fans.  But I'm glad to hear that so many people are.  I have been pretty surprised that it is now a Tier 1 attraction but it must have a real following.  Having said that, I definitely want to do the backstage tour for that.  One day...

Looking forward to more!

On a plane somewhere between Oklahoma City and Tulsa at the moment, on our way home from our little excursion. Haven't had time to read any of the awesome TR's this week, but now that I do have time while cruising through the skies, I chose this one to start with... I have to say that Z is STILL the man! Kelly, you need to be working on a strategy of how to turn away all of the girls once he starts dating... Great TR as always, and I look forward to more of your adventures!

Okay, I was way behind but am now caught up.  Random thoughts:

I really can't believe how much you got done in one day at the MK.  That's just astounding.

That waffle looks to die for.  Wish I had gotten one last week.

I wish I had known to push back a little bit when we were told we were hours behind on Safari one day last week, when I am virtually certain that it did go down during our FP.  But I didn't get an email and just wound up figuring that they were right and that my  memory of seeing on the app that it was down was wrong.  Could have saved 30 minutes in the standby line.

Glad you got to see TCD and didn't have stupid camera issues.  Like I did.  Ugh.  I'm working on a trip report and will have no proof whatsoever that I finally got to meet him.

Finally, I hate to say that we are not Living with the Land fans.  But I'm glad to hear that so many people are.  I have been pretty surprised that it is now a Tier 1 attraction but it must have a real following.  Having said that, I definitely want to do the backstage tour for that.  One day...

Looking forward to more!

They key to what we did at the MK was getting there well before RD. It's early, but worth it. 

Those waffles are to die for. Put that on your list for your trip that is coming up. 

That stinks that you had to wait in the Safari line when it had gone down. Now you know to be insistent. I thought ours was a fluke case of not getting the email, but apparently not. 

I'm a Living with the Land fan, but I don't understand why it's Tier 1. That's just dumb. You should try the tour. It's pretty cool. 

This is too funny! Twin #1 and I ate lunch at Sunshine Seasons on July 5. My receipt shows we were there at 1:40. We then rode Soarin' and booked back to the Fort to stalk Luke and the Luckows.

TCD

Our Disney brains work very much alike, apparently. I looked back at time stamps. We were eating at 12:50, and we were in front of Nemo around 2:00. That means we were probably exiting Soarin around when you were getting there. 

On a plane somewhere between Oklahoma City and Tulsa at the moment, on our way home from our little excursion. Haven't had time to read any of the awesome TR's this week, but now that I do have time while cruising through the skies, I chose this one to start with... I have to say that Z is STILL the man! Kelly, you need to be working on a strategy of how to turn away all of the girls once he starts dating... Great TR as always, and I look forward to more of your adventures!

Thanks for reading! Z is the man. He cracks me up! I'm scared of what will happen when hormones actually kick in. 

After Nemo, we headed to the Character Spot. Like I said, I was wondering if Z would think it was strange that Mickey didn’t talk there, but he didn’t even mention it.

I love the candids of kids with characters.

wd003wdw201418694479111.jpeg

How cute is this shot?

wd006wdw201418694479116.jpeg

IMG_7676.jpg

Next up was Goofy.

wd009wdw201418694425159.jpeg

wd011wdw201418694425161.jpeg

wd013wdw201418694425163.jpeg

And Minnie

wd017wdw201418694429838.jpeg

wd029wdw201418694430108.jpeg

There are some great places to get pictures done around WDW. This one behind DJD is one of my favorites.

wd036wdw201418694432155.jpeg

wd041wdw201418694432160.jpeg

wd042wdw201418694433481.jpeg

After that it was time for the mommies to get a treat. Can you guess where we’re going?

IMG_7656.jpg

If you said La Cava, you are a smart person who may have read some GDF TRs in the past.

IMG_7663.jpg

Now, I am a pro at making this stop kid friendly, so take some notes. First, you get a coloring thing from the Kidcot station. Then, you borrow a few of their markers.

That keeps the kids busy!

IMG_7657.jpg

Add a nonalcoholic frozen drink for them, and they are in heaven with you.

IMG_7662.jpg

We also ordered the trio of salsa, guacamole, and cheese dip. I should mention that all are fairly spicy. I like spicy, so that’s OK with me.

IMG_7659.jpg

We couldn’t decide which margarita to order, so we ordered 2 different ones. The cucumber is on the left… very refreshing. The pomegranate is on the right… also very good.

Cheers!

IMG_7661.jpg

In the end, we both preferred the cucumber. The muddled basil made it more interesting. Plus, it was hot, and the cucumber flavor was very refreshing.

After drinks, it was time to return the markers and ride the Mexican IASW.

IMG_7664.jpg

IMG_7665.jpg

They’re still beating poor Donald.

IMG_7667.jpg

At that point, we decided we were about ready to head back and get the boys some rest, but first I had to make a stop…

IMG_7670.jpg

Yum!

IMG_7669.jpg

So many choices….

IMG_7671.jpg

I ended up with an apple, caramel corn, and of course… some salted caramels!

The skies were turning dark.

IMG_7672.jpg

We decided it was time to bail. After all, there was rumor that the Fort had some special visitors, including a famous country singer. We needed to check that out.

By some miracle, we made it to the bus station with no rain, but things were looking pretty bad.

IMG_7673.jpg

I remember I was dreading our golf cart ride back to the campsite. You know what though, I can’t remember if it started raining before we got back. I don’t have any notes, and it’s been awhile.

We’ll pick up at the Fort in the next update.