• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Give Mike all your specs and he'll tell you whether it would work or not.  I would trust him completely....he wouldn't build or sell you something unsafe.  

We currently tow our Wrangler 4 down with a Blue Ox, not sure if we could use the same system with the Mighty Hauler. But according to Dave, the Mighty Hauler might not work for us. UGH.... guess we will rent forever. 

Yes, you can use your Blue Ox with the Mighty Hauler.  I think whether it would work with your Class C depends on the weight of your RV and the accessibility for welding to the frame.

We previously had a car hauler that we towed behind the moho, but we got rid of it for two reasons.  One, the length of the trailer was a problem at the fort.  And they always wanted us to leave it in the overflow lot, which we refused to do.

Our second reason is that we've encountered campgrounds that don't allow trailers or tow dollies.  There is one in particular that once David gives up his part-time job we could potentially be spending quite a bit of time at.  

My friend brings his Jeep wrangler as golf cart with him on a car hauler trailer. It has tie downs and ramps for the jeep and the same ramps he hooks on the front(side) of the trailer to drive his cart on to. I found this one on Craigslist, brand new for $2650. It has ramps and two 3500# axles.

Problem solved. Except where to put the trailer at your campsite.

image_zps9f52df7b.jpg

That's a nice trailer.  I wonder what it weighs?  Combined with the weight of the jeep and GC, I imagine it would exceed 5,000 pounds.  

My friend brings his Jeep wrangler as golf cart with him on a car hauler trailer. It has tie downs and ramps for the jeep and the same ramps he hooks on the front(side) of the trailer to drive his cart on to. I found this one on Craigslist, brand new for $2650. It has ramps and two 3500# axles.

Problem solved. Except where to put the trailer at your campsite.

image_zps9f52df7b.jpg

This type of trailer would work well. I just sold one just like it. It pulled great.

But I have seen how much stuff the dawgfamily takes with them in these TR's ;-) I would go with an enclosed car hauler with a front side load door for the cart. You can really pack those things full and keep everything safe and secure. Parking it at the Fort wouldn't be an issue. I've hauled an enclosed to the Fort before. Use a good quality tongue lock plus a cable through the wheel spokes and a thief would really have to work to take it.

That's a nice trailer. I wonder what it weighs? Combined with the weight of the jeep and GC, I imagine it would exceed 5,000 pounds.

Idk. A two door jeep wrangler weighs 4000# and I bet my electric golf cart weighs about 500# - 600# at least. And the trailer another 500# - 600#. So your estimate is pretty close.

Did you ever stop and compare the cost of owning and renting. Unless you have a purpose for a cart when not camping it is probably cheaper to rent one. Plus no upkeep and storage. For the price of a decent cart, $2500 and up, plus the expense of hauling it plus upkeep comes to a hefty amount and you still have to store it when not using it. 

Did you ever stop and compare the cost of owning and renting. Unless you have a purpose for a cart when not camping it is probably cheaper to rent one. Plus no upkeep and storage. For the price of a decent cart, $2500 and up, plus the expense of hauling it plus upkeep comes to a hefty amount and you still have to store it when not using it.

And this is a conversations we've had too. We would use it some when not camping. And some places we camp don't have rentals. But I'm still not sure it's worth it.

Idk. A two door jeep wrangler weighs 4000# and I bet my electric golf cart weighs about 500# - 600# at least. And the trailer another 500# - 600#. So your estimate is pretty close.

Your low. I talked to Mike (Doodle) about the one he built it was 1,600 with an open floor. My dolly is 1,000.

These are the reasons I was asking.....I know Kelly already expressed concerns about the weight so she and Jason are aware of their motorhome's towing limitations.  It's the same as when we had our gasser Class A.....it had a 5,000 lb towing limit, so I had to be very careful in what toad I bought that could still seat 6 (in those pre-Anna days).  I'm not seeing viable options for Kelly to do what she wants, unfortunately.  

These are the reasons I was asking.....I know Kelly already expressed concerns about the weight so she and Jason are aware of their motorhome's towing limitations.

Fortunately the KODIAK chassis has a higher tow rating the issue with the "Mighty Hauler" is the direct weight hanging on the rear of the chassis (tongue weight) due to the rear overhang that you don't find on a pusher. I have had 7,000 behind mine with no issues. With a trailer you could use equalizers if needed. As was stated, where do you store a 22' trailer?

These are the reasons I was asking.....I know Kelly already expressed concerns about the weight so she and Jason are aware of their motorhome's towing limitations.  It's the same as when we had our gasser Class A.....it had a 5,000 lb towing limit, so I had to be very careful in what toad I bought that could still seat 6 (in those pre-Anna days).  I'm not seeing viable options for Kelly to do what she wants, unfortunately.

Fortunately the KODIAK chassis has a higher tow rating the issue with the "Mighty Hauler" is the direct weight hanging on the rear of the chassis (tongue weight) due to the rear overhang that you don't find on a pusher. I have had 7,000 behind mine with no issues. With a trailer you could use equalizers if needed. As was stated, where do you store a 22' trailer?

This is why flat towing may be the best even if it means triple towing. They still have there towing weight limits but no real tounge weight on the motor home.

Have you considered a Cricket instead of a GC?  We had a dealer near us last week at RIver Plantation.  Looks like it would work for a while until the kid grows too large...then buy a second Cricket.  You would have to check to see if a Cricket would fold down to fit in the Jeep.  They claim it will fit in a Minivan.

Have you considered a Cricket instead of a GC?  We had a dealer near us last week at RIver Plantation.  Looks like it would work for a while until the kid grows too large...then buy a second Cricket.  You would have to check to see if a Cricket would fold down to fit in the Jeep.  They claim it will fit in a Minivan.

They are so slow.

We were leaving Beech Bend in Ky. yesterday and saw a Charleston class A pulling a Jeep pulling a utility trailer with a golf cart on it. Now I drove tractor trailers for a living and also pulled doubles most of the time and to ME that did not look safe. I am not sure all the legalities on if you can tow like that or to which states do or do not allow it, just do not think I would want to do it. I do know that most of the states on the East Coast ( except Md.) do not allow non commercial double towing.

Okay...so this has got me thinking ;)  We have a hybrid trailer that is 23' when towed and about 1/2 the weight that our truck is rated for.... could we hook a golf cart/trailer to the end of the hybrid?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had the same concerns, we have a 1998 Winnebago Brave (35ft class A gas)  come next year we plan to sell the house and move in full-time.  Hubby really had his heart set on a golf cart and we will need a car with us.  After seeing the cost of tandem dollies I thought we were out of luck but I still checked craigslist every so often.  Well a few weeks ago up pops a tandem for not much more than a car dolly.   the thing only weighs 740 lbs so with a small car and a GC we fall well within our limits for towing.

The tow dolly was set up to hall a motorcycle but that turned out to work fine, a few days later searching carts on craigslist we come across a 1969 Harley Davidson hot rod cart.  The owner full restored it, rebuilt the electric engine, all new batteries.  He is ready for his next toy so we got it for about the cost of the batteries alone.  Don't give up, the answer is out there just may take a while for you to find it.

10364001_10202299741798938_7845575382641

We were leaving Beech Bend in Ky. yesterday and saw a Charleston class A pulling a Jeep pulling a utility trailer with a golf cart on it. Now I drove tractor trailers for a living and also pulled doubles most of the time and to ME that did not look safe. I am not sure all the legalities on if you can tow like that or to which states do or do not allow it, just do not think I would want to do it. I do know that most of the states on the East Coast ( except Md.) do not allow non commercial double towing.

From some of the Legal Eagles:

Forty-seven states and all Canadian provinces have trailer towing laws that observe reciprocity. This means that if your towing set-up is legal in your state, an infraction of the laws of the state you're visiting can be overlooked. So if you're from Illinois and your 8 1/2-foot-wide trailer is touring through Arizona, where state law dictates residents' trailers can't exceed eight feet in width, you'll most likely get a pass. Beware; this is not the case in Colorado, Delaware and Georgia, where you could get a fine for violating state towing laws, even if your towing set-up is legal in your home state.

So all you need to do is avoid GA on your way to the FORT and your home free. Which seems strange since I have seen many MI and others towing their boats behind their FW as we meander down I-75. By the way behind a FW is the only way you can double tow in most states that allow it,

So all you need to do is avoid GA on your way to the FORT and your home free. Which seems strange since I have seen many MI and others towing their boats behind their FW as we meander down I-75. By the way behind a FW is the only way you can double tow in most states that allow it,

I have seen the 5th wheels and boat thing a lot in Oh, In & Mi. plus in Mi. have seen off road vehicles towed double also. The motorhome and jeep with something behind the Jeep I have only seen maybe twice. I did know that the 1st towed vehicle should be a 5th wheel

I have seen the 5th wheels and boat thing a lot in Oh, In & Mi. plus in Mi. have seen off road vehicles towed double also. The motorhome and jeep with something behind the Jeep I have only seen maybe twice. I did know that the 1st towed vehicle should be a 5th wheel

We're in MI right now and I saw at least a dozen FW/boat combinations today alone.