Thor has been recreated as a female, it's not that the original Thor is being changed.

It's the latest effort by Marvel and other comic book companies to appeal to females.

Below are quotes from the announcement regarding the all new female superhero.

"There's no sex change nor is it a "Thor-ette" situation."

"a brand new female hero will emerge who will be worth of the name Thor."

"This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it's unlike any Thor we've ever seen before."

"This new Thor isn't a temporary female substitute – she's now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!"

Thor has been recreated as a female, it's not that the original Thor is being changed.

It's the latest effort by Marvel and other comic book companies to appeal to females.

Below are quotes from the announcement regarding the all new female superhero.

"There's no sex change nor is it a "Thor-ette" situation."

"a brand new female hero will emerge who will be worth of the name Thor."

"This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it's unlike any Thor we've ever seen before."

"This new Thor isn't a temporary female substitute – she's now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!"

I could care less but that all sounds very dumb.....especially for Disney. I am pretty sure I saw previews for Thor movies and Thor is a dude. Now people who like and watch Thor are supposed to forget Thor and now accept a different but supposedly same Female one and only Thor. Who came up with this idea? This may be the most preposterous thing I have heard since hearing about Fastpass+ or BluePeopleLand.

I could care less but that all sounds very dumb.....especially for Disney. I am pretty sure I saw previews for Thor movies and Thor is a dude. Now people who like and watch Thor are supposed to forget Thor and now accept a different but supposedly same Female one and only Thor. Who came up with this idea? This may be the most preposterous thing I have heard since hearing about Fastpass+ or BluePeopleLand.

It's totally dumb, but it's about maximizing their return by taking advantage of the name recognition of Thor. It's like Supergirl, Batgirl, etc.

In the Marvel super hero world (i.e., not the movies but the comics) whoever wields the hammer is Thor.  Doesn't matter if it's a male or female.  Rumor has it that the current Thor dude will somehow become unworthy of wielding the hammer, and therefore someone new will be "chosen" to be Thor... this time a woman. 

Green Lantern works similarly.  There isn't just one guy that's the one and only Green Lantern.  It's the lantern that gives someone the power - regardless of who that person is, and that person can change.

...or at least that's my novice geek understanding of such things.  8)

The decision on Thor was made by Marvel for the comic book - they haven't actually said yet if/how this will effect the movie franchise (at least not that I've heard)

In the Marvel super hero world (i.e., not the movies but the comics) whoever wields the hammer is Thor.  Doesn't matter if it's a male or female.  Rumor has it that the current Thor dude will somehow become unworthy of wielding the hammer, and therefore someone new will be "chosen" to be Thor... this time a woman. 

Green Lantern works similarly.  There isn't just one guy that's the one and only Green Lantern.  It's the lantern that gives someone the power - regardless of who that person is, and that person can change.

...or at least that's my novice geek understanding of such things.  8)

The decision on Thor was made by Marvel for the comic book - they haven't actually said yet if/how this will effect the movie franchise (at least not that I've heard)

All exactly correct. and I have a proven much higher level of geekdom.. LOL

Ok...so it may make sense to people who pay close attention and read the comics but how is that going to translate to the casual movie-goer I wonder?

I still havent seen any of these movies since The original IronMan. I dont even know what order to watch the movies in now?

I think I asked Rebelstand when she was still around here but i forget what thread and what the answer was. Does it matter?

Should I watch the rest of them? Are they really that good?

The new Captain America is going to be a black character.

Marvel Comics’ latest incarnation of their legendary Captain America character is a black man, the comic book industry giant announced late Wednesday.

The Falcon character in the “Captain America” series – one of the first black characters in the Marvel universe – has been appointed as the successor to the Captain’s shield. He’ll take over the role in the “All-New Captain America,” the team behind the series told Marvel.com.

Achie is dead. He died a hero protecting a gay friend from am assassins bullet.

Nick Fury is now a black man. He used to be a grumpy white guy when I used to ready the Shield comics. He was a WW2 vet who had his own comic series before Shield.

Batman has changed many times over the years.

Then check this out

When I wrote about this experiment in literary gender-swapping for the Last Word On Nothing website last year, the public response to Girl Bilbo was startling. My daughter had ‘brought the internet’s Tolkien fanboys to their Mithril-padded knees’, in the words of one commenter. Girl Bilbo and her implications, I knew through comments and emails, were discussed at length in science-fiction circles, parenting groups, Head Start classes, and among Swedish devotees of role-playing games.

So a female Thor, Hulk, or Iron Woman isn't out of the question.

Black Widow

Wonder Woman

Storm

Jean Grey

Rogue

Invisible Girl

Astrid from How to Train Your Dragon...not super but a Heroine

Yes there have been a lot of female copies of males

Supergirl

Spiderwoman

Batgirl

TV has been kinder to female heroines

Xena

New Starbuck

Captain Rader

Rizzoli and Isles

Chloe O'Brian

Annie Walker

But hopefully authors/cartoonists/producers will embrace the female side more often in comics and Disney instead of just Princesses

Black Widow

Wonder Woman

Storm

Jean Grey

Rogue

Invisible Girl

Astrid from How to Train Your Dragon...not super but a Heroine

Yes there have been a lot of female copies of males

Supergirl

Spiderwoman

Batgirl

TV has been kinder to female heroines

Xena

New Starbuck

Captain Rader

Rizzoli and Isles

Chloe O'Brian

Annie Walker

But hopefully authors/cartoonists/producers will embrace the female side more often in comics and Disney instead of just Princesses

Sydney Bristow-alias

Max Guevara-dark angel

Kima Greggs-the wire

Carrie mathison-homeland

Tammy taylor-Friday Night Lights

Hermione Granger

Katniss Everdeen

Lara Croft

Just saying....it can be done without changing an existing character. There are good, strong women characters out there and a lot of them are the protagonists in some of my favorite movies/shows.

Next someone is going to tell me Indiana Jones, William Wallace, and Private Ryan are girls though. I am very pro-female. I am just anti-stupidity.