Hi we've stayed in the cabins many times at Fort Wilderness but now that our children are a little older (9 & 6) we feel they are ready for tent camping!  We are looking to purchase an 8-10 person tent so we have some extra space. Can anyone recommend a decent starter tent? We've come across Coleman and Ozark so far. Also, the only campsite available when we booked was full hook up - would a 10 x 14 tent fit on those sand slabs?  I'm sure I'll have many more questions as time goes by but at least I'm very familiar with campgroung itself!

WELCOME!!!!

While we now RV, I do have a suggestion about tents. Make you consider how hard it is to put up and take down. We actually have a huge Coleman tent, but we're about to sell because it's a PAIN to set up. It's way too big and has way too many poles. And my husband is handy and feels the same way.

You might consider have one tent for sleeping and one for gear, clothes, and changing. 

I've also found that name brand tents ARE better. 

1st off I want to say Welcome!!! :camp1:

We have a Coleman Prairie Breeze tent 9 person 14 x 10 ft. We love it and the cots from bass pro fit in it without touching the walls. We are involved in boy scouts so the tent gets used a good bit and we have not had any issues. It gives us plenty of room and is easy to set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjYLFlq4vKk

Oh and yes a tent that size should fit on the pad without an issue. Check out the sites at the fort app on phones done by fiends. you can look at specific sites and see their sizes and then you can put a request in for those specific sites. Its not a guarantee that you will get that site but its always nice to try. Disney tries their best to give you what you want or at least close.

Welcome and as far as tents are concerned, go big.  Its hard changing clothes while lying down or on your knees.  You may also want the room to use air matresses or cots or to keep a cooler in the tent for late night drinks.  Once you zip up for the night you don't want to go out to much because it is an opportunity for Mosquitos to get in.  The best tent I ever owned was a Eureka.  I had a Coleman screened in canopy that I sold for $10 because it was to difficult to set up.  I have seen tents on every kind of site the fort has but you shouldn't need to pay for a sewer hook up unless you plan on standing over the hole.  Maybe its just my impression but the tent sites always seem to have the most kids having the most fun.  The sites with the bigger rigs and more amenities(A/C) have less people outside socializing with each other.  If your going to be there between August 14-20th come by and say hello.  I'll have a sign.  I just don't know what site yet.

Welcome!  Although I did warn you on FB that these people are CRAZY!  I see you chose to ignore my warnings and joined anyways.  

Someday you'll know you should have listened.  

:rofl2:

Wait, you know each other? If he can put up with King Crazy, I think he'll fit in here! 

One more thing... I could be wrong, but I don't think the full hookups have as big of a tent pad as the partials. Just for reference though, here's a link where I show our pad on the 1500 loop. It was VERY big. 

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13221-gdf-and-z-ditch-daddy-and-dash-to-disney/page-3

We now have a small hybrid, but before that used this tent:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-13-x-9-Instant-Cabin-Tent-Sleeps-12/34109034

I think we got it on sale, during the winter, for around $240.  We actually really like this tent.  For such a big tent, it was very easy to put up...took my DH and myself maybe 30 minutes. There are 3 rooms, each one can easily fit a queen air mattress.  In our last tent trip, we had a large (double thick kind) queen air mattress in one room, a twin mattress and pack-n-play (with plenty of room left over) in another room...and the 3rd room (the one in the middle) we had a 3 bin plastic "dresser" and used that area to change.  The ceilings are also VERY high in this tent and there is actually a pocket to add an a/c box :)

Good luck and have fun!! :)

Welcome!

Fellow Fiend MLM5~Judy has the Coleman Instant tent. She actually has two of them and has let me borrow each of them at different times. Lately my youngest and I have used the larger 10 person tent when we have gone to the local Fort Fiend Grand Gatherings. It is easy to put up and take down. There is plenty of room inside to stand up and move around.

Thank you all so much - this site is awesome! We actually looked at that ozark bigger tent but I was afraid it wouldn't fit on their pads! We went with the 14 x 10 Coleman instant 8 person from amazon. Looked plenty big and easy to put up, I would definitely prefer to be in the patial loops with a tent but they were sold out the weekend we planned but I will try for that in the future, I know my kids would have a blast over there! This is just a short trial run. How far in advance should you contact disney regarding certain slabs/loops? I want to be semi close to the comfort station! Thanks again for all your input!

Here is a pic of our setup on a full hookup site, I'd say you won't have any issues fitting that tent on the pad.

This is a 10'x10' easy up behind the camper, and it had plenty of room on either side of it. You can also see the camper is partially over the sand pad as well, at least 10 or 12 feet itself

IMG_4536_zps993f69a8.jpg

Looks like you went with what I was going to suggest, a Coleman instant tent.

We were pop up campers when the kids were younger.  Eventually sold it since we didnt use it because of work/kids schedules.

Started back in camping at the Fort Cabins (yeah I know we were really roughing it).

My granddaughter wanted to do real camping (easy for a 8 year old to say) so last year we got a used 10 person 14x10 Coleman instant on Craigslist for $75.  What a breeze to put up and take down.

We do take tarps to put over it.  Coleman made a couple of different models using similar names, and some say they are water resistant, and some say you need a rain fly.

On our second trip we saw a similar model to ours that got soaked because he didnt have a rainfly or tarp over the top.

We have graduated back up to a pop up, but on our last trip for a week at the fort we used the tent and the popup.  5 adults and 2 kids.

Our first tenting trip they put us on a full site, and we had enough sand to set up on.

And welcome.

First 2 trips we anchored it to trees with ropes.

Took a few adjustments to get it to drain right.

Last 2 trips we used a bigger one and I made poles for it.  The main part is a rectangle then there are 2 wings angled down.

First time it worked better than the second, but i didnt play with it as much the second time.

It pooled water a couple of times, but I just gave it a push and it ran off, and we had quite a bit of rain that week.