DW and I were at WDW, staying at the Vacation Villas at Lake Buena Vista, which were located where SSR is now. I remember this because we were getting ready to go to dinner when I heard on TV that Elvis had died.  It's funny how you can remember certain things, even after 37 years. 

Here's a picture of the Vacation Villas from a Disney post card that I've saved.

LBVVacationVillas-1_zps59b7f030.jpg

LBVVacationVillas-2_zps9bede55c.jpg

I remember hearing the news about Elvis too.

I had a job in the WDW Central Food Facility Bakery.  Building no longer used for food prep or baking :( It's where the Christmas decorations are stored. At least that is what I've been told.

Look, across the water, there is the Empress Lilly, named for Walt's wife.  Fun times there. 

I had a job in the WDW Central Food Facility Bakery.  Building no longer used for food prep or baking  :( It's where the Christmas decorations are stored. At least that is what I've been told.

DW & I went on a backstage tour to see the Christmas decorations a few years ago & one of the stops was the decorations storage building behind the MK. They told us it was originally the main food prep facility for WDW. 

Look, across the water, there is the Empress Lilly, named for Walt's wife.  Fun times there. 

We ate there a lot when it was the Empress Lilly. Haven't eaten there since it became Fulton's Crab House. 

DW & I went on a backstage tour to see the Christmas decorations a few years ago & one of the stops was the decorations storage building behind the MK. They told us it was originally the main food prep facility for WDW. 

We ate there a lot when it was the Empress Lilly. Haven't eaten there since it became Fulton's Crab House. 

Cool about the backstage tour.  The bakery section was to the right rear and foods to the left. 

Did you ever see Stratton and Christopher at the Empress?   DH and I think they were called the Saltwater Express.  A couple of funny guys making jokes and singing.

Still remember and use "and it's up against the wall, you redneck mother, mother who has loved her son so well, so well, so well, so what"

I haven't been to it since it changed either.

Did you ever see Stratton and Christopher at the Empress?   DH and I think they were called the Saltwater Express.  A couple of funny guys making jokes and singing.

Still remember and use "and it's up against the wall, you redneck mother, mother who has loved her son so well, so well, so well, so what"

Don't think we ever saw them but I know the song. It's a Jerry Jeff Walker song. I love singing to it in the car when no one else can hear me.  :rofl3:

I was 6 years old.  I lived (where I grew up) about an hour north of Tupelo, MS (where Elvis was born) and about 2 hours from Graceland in Memphis so we heard a LOT about Elvis.   I remember local TV coverage and newspapers showing the mob of mourners.  I remember being amazed at people screaming and fainting over someone that they hadn't even met. 

That seems crazy, cause I have young kids like you two do.....and yet I was 9 years old when Elvis died.  

Me too Dave!  Mine are not quite as young - but I was 11 when Elvis died!  I remember it well because my Dad was a big fan and he was very upset.  My parents had seen him in concert not long before he passed, probably one of his last shows?  I do recall my mother saying something about how heavy he was and that he didn't look good after they went to the concert.

Cool postcard!  Thanks for sharing it.  I had no idea there was something there prior to the resort that's there now.  The villas look like they were very nice for that time period.

I was 8 yrs 9 months old living in California. It was an unseasonably cool day, It looked like it was going to rain any minute.

I had my favorite pair of Levi 501s on a multi colored shirt with a big butterfly collar. I was watching the Electric Company with my brother on the couch with clear plastic cover on it.

When I heard the news.

Ok I don't remember an only the first sentence is true. Lol

I was 8 yrs 9 months old living in California. It was an unseasonably cool day, It looked like it was going to rain any minute.

I had my favorite pair of Levi 501s on a multi colored shirt with a big butterfly collar. I was watching the Electric Company with my brother on the couch with clear plastic cover on it.

When I heard the news.

Ok I don't remember an only the first sentence is true. Lol

I was probably eating a cinnamon roll.  

Great pix of resort and DTD area. It looks like to me that at some point, after this picture was taken, that they expanded Village(DTD) Lake. Am I right? And if yes, when did they expand it?

If my recollection of my reading is correct, they started expanding it when they built Old Key West, Port Orleans and Dixie Landings, then the lake was expanded and and the Sassagoula River was born.