The Unnamed Trip Report. September 5-8, 2014

I took a walkabout around Saratoga Springs and the Treehouses once myself. I like the idea of the treehouses, but they are awfully isolated. You really need a car when staying there.

Yes I agree but when we stayed there this past New Years and my son said, Dad it feels like we are camping made it all worth it.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll get to it tonight or tomorrow Daniel.   Have a wedding to attend today.   Cory

Pretty cool if you ask me.

You know whats not cool? 

Cutting down trees.

See it there? I seem to have hit the perfect angle that makes it hard to see the tree stump.

I know this has been discussed heavily here, and I’m sure theres a reason. But this just SMB.

Heres some more pics of that tree stump behind site 1446.

And a side view from the entrance to the 1400, behind the tether ball court to the right.

Why did that need to be done? 

Was it struck by lightning?

Was it diseased?

What happened?

It really opens up the back of that site to the main road now. but oh well, whats done is done.

I was there for this and staying in the 1400 loop. That tree had broken in half and half of it was on the ground one morning when we were leaving. I would venture to day it was diseased.

I agree with all the sentiments already expressed about SSR and the Treehouses.  We have stayed at both SSR and OKW within the past year (those two being the same type villa-only resorts, as opposed to a DVC add-on to a regular WDW resort).  SSR just didn't impress us.  It was nice enough, and I will admit that the counter service spot was worlds better than OKW's CS, but the SSR themeing (how do you spell that, anyway?) was just meh.  OKW, on the other hand, was awesome.

But the Treehouses - I'm dying to stay there.  Great atmosphere in that neighborhood and just so cool seeming.  One of these days...

Great report, BTW!  Looking forward to more!

Alrighty Ladies and Gentlemen, time to press on with this TR

We left off with us heading back to our truck from The Treehouse Villas. We were hungry and decided to swing by DTD and grab a bite to eat.

What have we done up to this point?

Looped The Fort - I like that.

Tug went to the dog park - I like that.

Tug went to day camp at Best Friends Pet Care - he liked that.

It rained - I don’t like that.

So now, as I stated above, we have left The Treehouse Villas, and SSR and are headed over to DTD.

I’ve been avoiding DTD for some time now due to the construction mess that is going on with the Disney Springs project.

I made the mistake of going that direction with the camper in tow last time I left The Fort in June.

Said “I’m not going back there until all the construction is complete”

Well guess what?

That lasted 3 whole months.

Oh well

We drive over that way and pull into the first available entrance.

Here is where we parked.

P1010462_zps0463f3d1.jpg

Look at that, I took a picture of people taking a picture of people.

I wonder how often that happens at WDW?

Probably not that much.

So anyway, there is a lot of construction going on with this Disney Springs project.

Look at this building-strip mall-facade thing going up.

P1010464_zps6ef92b7c.jpg

I’m not a fan of all this construction, at least I don’t think so. I haven’t looked into this Disney Springs project too much, so I’m not sure what to expect.

I blame it on my generation. We are the type that want it now. 

You know what I mean?

We install our landscaping, we don’t grow it.

Get it?

Thats why I don’t like the construction.

But hey, I might like this.

P1010466_zpsba9a0d17.jpg

Too bad it won't be real food trucks, but they'll build them to trick my mind........sneaky imagineers.

But I see a FAIL here.

Opening Summer 2014. 

It's September, pumpkin spice everything is out.

Halloween decorations are out. 

I even saw a Mickey pumpkin at The Fort.

It is most definitely NOT summer anymore.

And there are no food trucks in sight.

FAIL.

Especially because they ALWAYS finish on time.

You know what DTD wasn’t that day?

Crowded.

I like that too.

Here’s a shot of the crowds.

P1010463_zpscd6e82de.jpg

And another shot of the crowds.

P1010465_zps1e033c9f.jpg

They have an evil empire Starbucks there.

We were starving, that was the point of this trip to DTD.

But I got distracted complaining about the construction.

So where should we eat?

I left that up to my fiancee. 

She decided on Wolfgang Puck’s Cafe

Good choice.

I knew there was a reason I’m marrying her.

So into Wolfgang’s we go.

IMG_2959_zpsede5f14d.jpg

She had the humus wrap. Big thumbs down from her.

No pic of that, sorry.

I had the pepperoni pizza.

IMG_2960_zps144f7c85.jpg

It was good.

IMG_2961_zps413e3b15.jpg

She helped me eat it.

Big thumbs up for that, from the both of us.

Since we were here in DTD, we decided to take a nice walk around the place, maybe check out World of Disney.

So we headed that way.

Oh look, another evil empire coffee shop, how nice and convenient.

P1010468_zpsd7d3970e.jpg

Here’s the coolest part, in my opinion, of World of Disney. Look at this.

P1010469_zps7011a10e.jpg

You guys ever see those? There’s one on each side of the entrance underneath Stitch.

Those things are way cool. I want them from my Halloween decorations, I’m the kind of guy that gets sucked into Spirit and Halloween City store. Those Halloween stores to me are like Target to my fiancee.

I wouldn’t mind having this for my Halloween decorations as well.

P1010467_zpsc21a9786.jpg

Damn, forgot where I was....

Ah! DTD in WoD (that the right acronym?)

Does anyone ever go in there and not look at the merchandise?

I feel like most people don’t see all the great decorations.

I mean look at these..

P1010470_zps7f165e9e.jpg

P1010471_zpsa273b4b6.jpg

Cool aren’t they?

Once we left there we walked over towards Rainforest so we could check out Disney Pin Traders.

Shot of the water on the way over

P1010472_zps2d98aa6a.jpg

Has anyone taken a ride on the balloon? 

If so, did you like it? I’ve tossed it around for sometime now but haven’t pulled the trigger.

Nothing good at Pin Traders, so we decided we would head back to the truck.

This Lego fight caught my attention

P1010473_zpsf392c06d.jpg

I bet I could’ve built that when I was younger. Maybe.

We got back to the truck and decided to head back over to The Fort. We were planning on hanging out for a little bit, then hopping on a boat to The Contemporary to check it out and see if we could sneak into Fort Knox Bay Lake Tower. Then catch the monorail around Seven Seas Lagoon and check out The Poly and Grand Floridian.

When we got back to the camper, we sat down for a little just to relax, and there was some rain in the area.  No need to go 100 MPH, we have all weekend.

As we were hanging out, I heard someone outside of our camper say hello. I popped outside and there was this pleasant gentleman to meet me. He asked for Cody, so I knew he must be a Fiend since I had posted our site number in that thread the night before. 

Guess who the first Fiend was that I got to meet? Remember I said he was a “pleasant gentleman”

Any idea?

Lou.

That’s right, Lou.

The snarky bus driver. The cranky bus driver. The Lou.

Well after only being on FF.net for a few months and reading everything you guys have to say about him, this is not what I pictured. He is very nice, and we had short but good conversation. I have no clue what all of you other people are talking about with him. 

I like Lou.

I would like to see Lou again.

In fact, he is so nice that he came bearing a gift for my fiancee and I.

Check this out.

IMG_3075_zpsb1328a33.jpg

Thats right!

I got spiked!

An authentic FWRR spike.

FREAKING AWESOME.

Even better to get it while on a trip when I’m looking for evidence of the FWRR.

This is great, and I’m on cloud 9.

Got to meet my first Fiend, and of all people, it was Lou.

After Lou left, I was full of energy and ready to go back out, so fiancee and I took the golf cart down to the marina to catch The Contemporary boat. As we walked up I noticed a back hoe, some workers, and a pile of beach sand. So I snapped pics. TCD also reported this in his Nothing Fancy TR.

P1010474_zps6ce069bc.jpg

P1010475_zps7c2a52e2.jpg

You know what I didn’t do. Ask what they were doing.

Oops.

I fail.

But I learn when I fail.

Next time.

When we got in line for the boat I looked back and saw a young boy in a pontoon boat by himself. His dad was down the dock with his little sister talking to what I assumed to be a CM.

Heres the scene

P1010476_zps2d1f85c5.jpg

What that little boy did next was hilarious. He found the stereo and cranked that bad boy up to 11. Beverly Hills by Weezer was cranking. 

And that little guy was jamming out. 

Pushing the throttle. 

Ripping on the steering wheel. 

I loved it. 

Everyone in line loved it. 

Even dad loved it, here he is holding little sister and taking a video of his son.

P1010477_zpsa262971c.jpg

Between that and meeting Lou, all within 20 minutes, my day had been made.

Awesome.

While the camera was out, I noticed a bigger pile of sand down the beach.

P1010478_zpsa1c518dd.jpg

Still had no clue what it was for, and I never asked.

A MK boat showed up first, so we decided to hop on that, then catch the monorail over to The Contemporary.

Heres a picture that I made famous in my last TR, the crooked Cody pic.

P1010479_zpsae823145.jpg

I’m artistic.

Theres RC rotting away.

P1010480_zps1f9ed56a.jpg

P1010481_zps0a20dc1f.jpg

And the shipwreck on Discovery Island with a new name plate on it.

P1010482_zps2e8f32b7.jpg

Wondering about the name plate?

TCD noticed it and the mystery was solved over is his TR, check it out.

Barney Fife was busy today, saw 3 of these guys speeding between Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon.

P1010483_zps15df84ad.jpg

As we pulled into the MK, I snapped a pic of the new ferry dock. 

P1010484_zps68e026e8.jpg

Next stop was The Contemporary.

Cody

I think everyone really loves Lou.  I'm not sure why he wants 'street cred', but then I'm not a guy either.

I've never been to Puck.  Might have to try it next time.  We usually cheap out over at the Earl.

Not crowded DTD rocks.

Starbucks SMB!

Meeting the Lou rocks!

Getting spiked rocks.

Rotting RC SMB.

Sounds like an awesome day.

The Lou perpetuates his snarky personality to keep up his street cred. But I think he really likes yelling at kids to stay off his lawn. Lol.

Cody-

Great update.

About the Downtown Disney balloon, GDF from here on ff.net went up in it earlier this year, and posted about it in her trip report:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/9655-reasons-to-celebrate…-gadawgfan’s-spring-break-trip-report/?p=265558

Our Queen of Content, Mo, alerted us to a Groupon deal for the balloon in this thread: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/12045-groupon-deal-on-characters-in-flight-downtown-disney/

That Groupon deal has expired, but maybe there's another one out there.

Congratulations on being spiked. You're a real Fiend now.

TCD

A spike and a Lou!! 

It was pretty cool to experience both. I'm going to have to come up with some way of displaying the spike.

I've never been to Puck.  Might have to try it next time.  We usually cheap out over at the Earl.

Puck was good, I really liked the pizza, good size for 2 people to split. Avoid the humus wrap though. That was a big thumbs down.

Empty DTD, that's nice!!! 

It was really nice for a change. I construction SMB, but the crowds made up for it.

But even though I like it, we've never been to the one at DTD.

You must go, whenever your boycott is over.

Love resort hopping and getting drinks around the monorail line.

I'm starting to think that this resort hoping is going to become a more permanent thing for us. It was nice to not focus on the parks.

Not crowded DTD rocks.

Starbucks SMB!

Meeting the Lou rocks!

Getting spiked rocks.

Rotting RC SMB.

Everything you said there are my thoughts exactly.

Great update!

Thanks! We aren't quite halfway through yet. This upcoming update will mark the halfway point...and hopefully when I get home in October, I will have drug this out long enough to add some bonus content.

Cody-

Great update.

About the Downtown Disney balloon, GDF from here on ff.net went up in it earlier this year, and posted about it in her trip report:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/9655-reasons-to-celebrate…-gadawgfan’s-spring-break-trip-report/?p=265558

Our Queen of Content, Mo, alerted us to a Groupon deal for the balloon in this thread: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/12045-groupon-deal-on-characters-in-flight-downtown-disney/

That Groupon deal has expired, but maybe there's another one out there.

Congratulations on being spiked. You're a real Fiend now.

TCD

Thanks for this info, you rock. I'll keep my eyes out for a deal like that.

It's always a pleasure to meet new Fiends and I would have stopped by even if I didn't have spikes, but the person below is the only reason I get to spike Fiends.

Cody is a nice addition to the Fiend family.

Thanks Lou! Glad you happened by when I was there.

Cody

The Lou and a spike. Winning! 

As TCD mentioned, we did the balloon. I looked back at the link he posted (wow, my Z has grown up!). What I failed to mention there was that I was SCARED. It did move around a bit in the air. I'd do it again, but I'd have a drink beforehand. 

I enjoy resort time too. It's hard to balance Fort time/other resort time/park time. I need to start staying a month! 

Update time.

We were on the MK boat from The Fort. 

Our plan was to land at the MK, board the monorail and head over to The Contemporary.

We were to break into Bay Lake Tower, check it out then make the round back to MK.

I’ve stayed at The Contemporary in another lifetime. On the 7th floor, with a park view.

That WAS my favorite WDW resort, until I found out I could BYOHM to WDW.

You know what that is? BYOHM?

No?

Bring Your Own Hotel Room

Ha! I’m creative.

You like that don’t you?

Artistic and creative.

Quite the addition to FF.net crew, if I do say so myself.

So now my new favorite resort is The Fort. With The Contemporary in 2nd........for now......Sunday might change that for us.

But I need to slow down here, I’m still on Saturday afternoon. 

I’m getting good at dragging out TRs.

So we hopped on the monorail after arriving at the MK and rode over to The Contemporary.

I wish I snapped a pic of the new MK bus stops, but I forgot. They’re nice.

So correct me if I’m wrong, but now resorts that are not in the MK area offer bus service directly to MK right? Rather than the TTC like before? You’ll have to forgive my ignorance on this subject as I hadn’t stayed in a WDW resort in 2010-2012.

Anyway, The Contemporary. I still like that resort, a lot. I’m not sure what it is that draws me to it, but its definitely something. Maybe the monorail through the middle? Maybe the grounds? Maybe the atmosphere? Who knows, but I like it.

When we got off the monorail, I immediately set a course for the bridge to BLT. When we got there, we found an unsuspecting DVC member and followed his lead.

P1010485_zpsf2d007f8.jpg

We walked in like we owned the place. YES!

You know what’s not “YES”? Theres not much over there at BLT.

Nothing to look at, the lobby is bland, the building itself didn’t do anything for me.

This is the one and only pic I took when inside BLT, and it was of another building.

P1010486_zpse03adc98.jpg

Thats it. I was disappointed. 

We headed down to the 1st floor so we could go outback and check it out.

Of course this place is like Fort Knox, so every door to the exterior will lock you out.

Whatever, I wanted to be out of that place anyway.

So outback we went.

Still not impressed.

Only took two pics.

P1010489_zps01c79e0e.jpg

P1010488_zpsfc4810bb.jpg

The pool was locked and I was over it, so back over to The Contemporary we went.

Remember, it all started with a mouse

P1010490_zps987732b9.jpg

We went inside and headed back up to the monorail so we could go over to the Poly.

But first, The Wave.

P1010491_zpsd0ca51b0.jpg

Has anyone eaten there? I want to try it....I think.

Heres a shot from the 4th floor of The Contemporary overlooking Bay Lake and the monstrosity. That thing SMB.

P1010493_zps3fb64d1f.jpg

I snapped some pics of Seven Seas Lagoon while on the monorail over to the Poly.

Water Bridge.

P1010494_zpsf782a916.jpg

P1010495_zps1262e98e.jpg

Those bungalows are coming along nicely. 

You know the story of the old wave machine that used to be just offshore of the Poly’s beach? The one that they stopped using and just left at the bottom of the lake?

You think they removed that when it came time to build the DVC additions?

Hmmmmm..

Once we got to the Poly, we went straight out back to see what we would see.

And this is what we saw.

P1010499_zpse7bd13f5.jpg

Not much to see besides construction.

I do like the new wraps on the construction fences, better than the bland green ones used elsewhere.

We walked over to the marina.

Look, another famous crooked Cody pic, thats artistic.

IMG_2971_zpscc2d9000.jpg

These 2 guys look happy.

IMG_2972_zpsa143f8d7.jpg

IMG_2969_zps387643ab.jpg

Talk about someone whose happy..we came across a small wedding on the Poly’s beach.

IMG_2973_zps9f08ba54.jpg

Good for them. It looked like a nice, small, very private ceremony. And the weather cooperated, big plus for Florida in September.

We made our way over to the Spirit of Aloha pavilion. 

IMG_2974_zps74047ea6.jpg

There were several people there eating, all wearing matching Hawaiian shirts. Not sure what that was about.

After all of our walking, we were hungry.

Off to Captain Cook’s we go.

We split the pulled pork nachos.

IMG_2976_zps0c01c3e5.jpg

Very good, will go back for those in the future.

While we were eating, we decided we would check up on our pup.  He had 4 hours of outside play time and they told us to check on the website for the webcams during those 4 hours.

So we did. 

And look, Tug is a star.

IMG_2968_zps2d61031a.jpg

He’s on the left side facing away from us, with his tail up.

I count 14 dogs in that shot, all big ones. Pretty cool if you ask me. I bet Tug will be tired by the time we go pic him up.

With full stomachs and a happy dog, we decided it was time to head over to the GF.

Here’s the lobby, which all of us have seen, but seeing again is never too much.

IMG_2977_zpse31b00c9.jpg

Whats the story with the birdcage?

Think there was ever a bird that big?

Or is it decoration?

We went outside next to take a look at the new DVC building and the pool area.

IMG_2979_zps7e3604b5.jpg

Whats that out in the water?

Lets look closer.

IMG_2980_zps2e06f1ee.jpg

Someone lost their beach ball in Seven Seas Lagoon.

Thats two lost balls I’ve noticed today. 

I wonder how many are lost every year?

Lets look at the Poly’s DVC addition from this angle.

IMG_2981_zps20a4a572.jpg

Said lost ball is in this pic as well. Bottom middle between the palm tree and light post.

Do you think theres a lost ball collector for WDW?

Back inside we went and I saw something, and another stupid question came to mind.

Heres what I saw.

IMG_2983_zps54204875.jpg

Heres my stupid question.

How many penny crusher machines are on WDW property, and how much money would it cost to get one from every single machine? Sounds like an interesting research project.

Look, Mickey in the tile

IMG_2996_zpsd37e5109.jpg

We then walked through the lobby and outside towards the marina. 

The grounds here are absolutely beautiful.

IMG_2985_zps706ed881.jpg

IMG_2987_zpse713fad1.jpg

Over at the marina we found the Grand 1.

IMG_2988_zps7b492826.jpg

I would venture a guess that Seven Seas Lagoon is the smallest body of water that particular model Sea Ray resides on.

What do you think they use the radar for? Surely its not for collision avoidance. Maybe tracking weather?

They have boats for rent.

IMG_2993_zpsc31ca290.jpg

Look, just like at The Fort's Bike Barn, these boats are sponsored by TakeMeFishing.org

IMG_2994_zps781b38fe.jpg

Interesting, since those boats would be hard to fish out of.

While we were at the marina, I took a photo of one of Lou’s favorite parts of WDW.

The EWP in storage.

IMG_2991_zps61c82785.jpg

At this point we were happy with what we have seen and decided to head back over to the MK so we could catch our boat to The Fort.

Quick resort reviews:

The Contemporary: Still thumbs up

BLT: SMB

Poly: Thumbs up

GF: Thumbs up

We had FP+ for Maelstrom and Test Track for the evening and we were going to use our TV to go over there, so we could pick up Tug on the way back.

A monorail was pulling in as we walked up to the station, score.

When we got to MK, a Fort boat was rounding the breakwater, score.

Walked right onto both modes of transportation with no wait, score.

BUT, the weather started to look bad.

Heres the view from the boat on Bay Lake looking towards The Fort.

IMG_2998_zpsdfb01944.jpg

Not good.

Would we make it?

Thats in the next update.

Cody

Heres my stupid question.

How many penny crusher machines are on WDW property, and how much money would it cost to get one from every single machine? Sounds like an interesting research project.

If it's a stupid question, we have a stupid answer.

There is an official 27 page document which I'm sure Mo will send you upon request, that shows where all the coin presses are located along with descriptions.

And it's not just for pennies, it's also dimes and quarters.

It's too hard to quote the pic on my phone but that dark cloud pic is crazy looking!!!

And the pressed coins? There a crap ton of them and they are everywhere. My son is obsessed with them. And they add up quickly. I need to start saving up my nice pennies for November.

This site gives you a break down of how many there are.

http://www.themouseforless.com/downloads/DisneyPressedCoinsChecklists.shtml