The Unnamed Trip Report. September 5-8, 2014

Welcome to my 2nd trip report here on FF.net.

I’m not really sure what I want to call it yet, but with some time, I will figure it out.

This trip started coming together back in June when we were there for Father’s Day weekend. (See that trip report in my signature) We had a blast and I wanted to come right back, so the night we got home from that trip, we pulled out our calendars and looked at availability and came up with Sept 5-8.

If you have read that, or if you just backed out of this report to go read that report, you will remember that it rained on us almost the entire trip.

Well with that in mind, take a look at this picture on the way out.

IMG_2933_zps8932a306.jpg

You like the windshield wiper for dramatic effect?

I'm good.

It’s Florida.

It’s summertime.

I get it.

But it sure seems like this has been a pretty wet summer. And it ALWAYS seems to rain the minute I hook up my camper, its like death and taxes, gonna happen.

NO. MATTER. WHAT.

But even rain can’t make this a bad sight.

IMG_2936_zps43027d61.jpg

Ah, look at that. Almost like the Pearly Gates, just so beautiful.....right?

Unless you’re Lou, then that probably means you’re headed into work. Then it might not look as good.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Where was I? ???

OH!

The Fort.

IMG_2937_zps77936472.jpg

IMG_2941_zpsbe5a0000.jpg

The returning guests line was closed, so everyone was going through the check in line. The guard had what looked like a smart phone or something to that affect, and he was scanning Magic Bands at the window of each vehicle. I mentioned this in a response on another thread, but more on the Magic Bands at the gate later.

IMG_2939_zps7f1278e2.jpg

Check-in:

IMG_2943_zps849e48fc.jpg

Ah yes, our adventure will be beginning shortly. I had booked a Preferred site for the simple fact that I’ve never stayed on one before, so I was excited for that. But, as fate would have it, we got upgraded to a Premium at no cost. The explanation given to me was that there was a water main break a couple days before, so they decided to upgrade me at no cost. Thanks to Derek here on FF.net, I was alerted to the Florida resident 20% off promotion they were offering at The Fort, and took advantage of that. 

So a Premium site at 80% cost of a Preferred? I’ll take it. All day, every day.

Oh look! A new roof is going up at The Outpost. 

IMG_2942_zps1c207dd2.jpg

Here is the link to that thread I started: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13703-new-roof-going-up-on-the-recreation-outpost/#entry391266

Love the details, including the “Hidden Mickey”

IMG_2944_zpsd9c1caa4.jpg

IMG_2945_zps3017076e.jpg

IMG_2946_zps24d5e079.jpg

So anyways, it had stopped raining long enough for me to get set up, which was nice. This was our first time at The Fort with our new golf cart, and due to the short bed on my TV, I have to use my fiancee’s truck to get the cart out there. We have to drive separate, but we handle it just fine. I set up the basics on the camper and then left with fiancee’s truck to go to overflow and unload the cart while she set up the inside stuff. 

Unloading went off without a problem. Cart is running great and everyone is happy.

Well I was happy till this happened.

IMG_2947_zps983717e1.jpg

You know that “rule” where you are suppose to pull over in your GC to let a faster moving vehicle by? Well, this was a first for me. See that guy in the white truck? HE was slowing ME down. 

What the FORT? 

My cart is no speed demon, 16 MPH wide open, and we were going way slower than that. It was like this from The Outpost to the 4-way. But no big deal, I survived.

Maybe I was a little too excited to be at The Fort, and thats why I was upset at going slow, who knows?

Here’s our site, 532, all set up:

P1010370_zps0222fe1e.jpg

P1010368_zpsd10beec6.jpg

And our neighbors, FSU fans, I like them, sorry TCD

P1010369_zps865f9976.jpg

This site backed up to the canal, it was nice.

P1010371_zps4f677cc6.jpg

P1010372_zps9605d1e2.jpg

P1010373_zps8fef48dc.jpg

We also had our dog with us for the first time. So off to Waggin’ Trails we go.

P1010375_zpsf812b276.jpg

P1010376_zps431e3f04.jpg

I wish I could keep my grass that green.

This fence post is now Tug’s

P1010382_zps816152fa.jpg

More pics of my buddy.

P1010386_zps89fa4e41.jpg

P1010385_zps0bf08a74.jpg

A while back I had asked about the FWRR. Many of you were kind enough to enlighten me on some facts and how to see evidence of it’s existence. I believe it was DIT who told me to look for the berm at the dog park, well he was right, check this out.

P1010380_zpsfb6d5ab4.jpg

P1010381_zpsd8cb68a0.jpg

Never really paid much attention to that before. And here it goes off into the woods.

P1010379_zpsfe924049.jpg

Thanks TCD and DIT for assisting me with the FWRR.

After Tug was done with the park, him and I went for a quick looping trip while fiancee was finishing up at the camper.

The first thing I noticed was how dead The Fort was.

I mean, it makes sense. Kids back in school, Labor Day has passed, it’s well before Halloween. But man, it was empty.

Look at this, this is the 1000 Loop.

P1010392_zps045e6475.jpg

P1010393_zpsb48d0ffd.jpg

P1010395_zpsd3a671ce.jpg

P1010394_zpsf4a2a007.jpg

P1010396_zps90815172.jpg

The loop is M-T. Not one camper in there. 

Wow.

Now I know why they were offering a 20% Florida Resident discount.

The 1100 Loop was almost as bad, only 4 campers in there.

It stayed like that all weekend.

I believe I am at the photo limit, so since I’m a rookie at this, I’m going to abruptly cut you guys off here and continue later.

Upcoming is more Fort pics, an EPCOT trip, some WDW Resort hopping, and I may or may not have met one of the most famous fiends out there.

I might have even got spiked.

Stay tuned for more......

Cody

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll get to it tonight or tomorrow Daniel.   Have a wedding to attend today.   Cory

I'm in!

So how did Tug enjoy his first trip to the Fort? Will you be bringing him back again?

He loved it! His favorite part is golf cart rides. Now when I let him out front at my house he immediately jumps on the golf cart in the garage. Always ready for looping, like me. We took him to Best Friends Pet Care for the day twice and he loved that too.

Dang.

Just missed page one!

Great job so far, Cody.

I'm glad you found some evidence of the old FWRR.

Tug looks like an awesome dog.  Is he a German Shepherd?

TCD

Thanks again TCD for the tips on the FWRR. I saw that you were at the Settlement and Meadow on Sunday. What time were you there? It's too bad we didn't have a chance to met, but with our proximity to The Fort, I'm sure it will happen soon.

Tug is a great dog, he's a rescue from our local Humane Society. He is a German Shepard, Siberian Husky mix. Looks mostly like a Shepard except for his tail, thats all Husky. His hair is normally as long as the hair on his tail, but we just had him groomed for the first time. He was just way too hot.

Cody

500 is my favorite loop. And 532 is one of my favorite sites. And 20% off a preferred rate? BAM!

I'll be honest, when I saw 532 at check-in I was a little disappointed because I really wanted to stay in a Preferred to see how I liked it. I was even more disappointed to stay in the 500 because even though it is my favorite loop, I have stayed in it before, and I would have liked to try another one out. However, when I saw my site, all that disappointment went right out the window. 532 is now one of my favorite sites as well.

Cody

Thanks again TCD for the tips on the FWRR. I saw that you were at the Settlement and Meadow on Sunday. What time were you there? It's too bad we didn't have a chance to met, but with our proximity to The Fort, I'm sure it will happen soon.

Tug is a great dog, he's a rescue from our local Humane Society. He is a German Shepard, Siberian Husky mix. Looks mostly like a Shepard except for his tail, thats all Husky. His hair is normally as long as the hair on his tail, but we just had him groomed for the first time. He was just way too hot.

Cody

I don't know if this will make you happy or sad, but this is a photo I took at around 3:30 pm on Sunday, September 7:

9614178_zpsb8e8d241.jpg

I stopped by to say hello, but nobody was home!

A Shepherd/Husky mix?  That sounds like a good combination.  How old is Tug?  Looks like he's been around a while.

TCD