Cheating on Fort Wilderness... A Confession.

We've stayed at Fort Wilderness approximately 5 times in the past few years but I remember when I strayed. Our first stay was in the cabin and we loved it. We loved everything about Fort Wilderness. For whatever reason, we decided to stay in a "regular" resort the next year. The trip was fine until about night 4. On night 4, we had reservations to our first ever Hoop De Doo Review. I drove my family through the campgrounds and dropped them off near Pioneer Hall and then went back out to park. The drive in and out cemented it for me. I missed the Fort horribly. The sites were decorated for Christmas. Ugh, I felt home sick. As soon as I got back to my family I said "We have to stay here again." And that's the only place we've stayed for the past 4 trips.  Glad I found this place. Us fanatics need to stay together! Now for me to collect the funds to buy my own RV instead of renting! haha

DH and I went to WDW together for the first time in 2000.  We did a 7 day land/sea package and stayed at the Beach Club.  A great trip, but we figured we were "Disney-ed out" for a while.

In 2002 we stayed off-site near DTD for a week.  Another good trip but again... we were good with the whole Disney thing for a while.

2004 we found ourselves with a camper that we didn't need (long story) and decided that before we sell it in the spring, hey why not take it to WDW for a couple of weeks with the dogs?

Well that was fun!

That actually hooked us on camping and started us on the road to a camper van, and eventually 2 years later, a hybrid that we owned for 5 years before our current TT.

2006 we stayed 2 weeks in the 500 loop on a very last minute trip.

2007 we stayed in 300 for 2 weeks, and before the end of our first week we were plotting how to make it 3 weeks the following year.

And so it's been every year since.

The Fort will get ya' that way.  8)

My husband works so hard and then when we vacation he continues to work hard because he is the primary driver when we are towing the trailer. I can tow it just fine but being a former trucker he just isn't comfortable not being in control. We always vacation with the trailer because it's cheaper than two hotel rooms. So now that the oldest has moved out we are down to just 6 of us. Six is a magic number at Disney, it means we could do one hotel room. We've looked at flights, they aren't too much for round trip. It's a 20 hour drive down to Disney for us, we end up staying in a campground on the way down. We are really, really, really considering a non-fort Disney trip and staying in one of the family suites and just eating at Disney for all our meals which my kids would love. We would probably spend a little more, but we would only go if we could go during free dining. But I am worried, I am worried that we will be miserable in one room, I worry that the kids and I will miss the peace and relaxation of the Fort. But seriously I want my husband to be able to go on a trip and relax. I am so torn. I've even considered sending him on a plane and me driving down with the kids and renting a trailer so all the set up is done. Please tell me I am not the only person who ponders all this crap? 

You are not the only one. 

And kudos (from a husband) for you thinking of this.  As the designated driver in our family, I would feel good that the thought is there, but am OK with the drive.  As long as my CDs are being played, and not the kids, and my snacks and diet pepsi keeps coming, I would rather drive.  It is worth it to have all the advantages of the camper and the fort.

Just my $0.02!

We often cheat on the Fort...... so we can visit the Fort and those fortunate FL residents Fiends that get to visit more than we do.

We stay at the Fort on vacation, at least a week!!

It is no longer worth it to us to pull the camper all the way down there for less than that.  For our spontaneous weekend trips, we drive just the truck and stay offsite.  Half the fuel and FREE hotel rooms.

... I've even considered sending him on a plane and me driving down with the kids and renting a trailer so all the set up is done. Please tell me I am not the only person who ponders all this crap? 

You definitely are not!  You wouldn't believe some of the harebrained schemes I've come up with over the years (well, you probably would).

My best one was the year I didn't want to miss a WWW tea party so I figured I'd drive the trailer down by myself with the dogs 2 weeks early, work from the Fort those 2 weeks, then DH could fly down with the in-laws for vacation.

I was dead serious and I actually do most of the driving anyway, so that part wasn't such a big deal... the problem was mostly that DH just about had an aneurysm at the mere suggestion of me driving 1400 miles alone.

...oh and the little part where he doesn't fly.

:rofl2:

You definitely are not!  You wouldn't believe some of the harebrained schemes I've come up with over the years (well, you probably would).

My best one was the year I didn't want to miss a WWW tea party so I figured I'd drive the trailer down by myself with the dogs 2 weeks early, work from the Fort those 2 weeks, then DH could fly down with the in-laws for vacation.

I was dead serious and I actually do most of the driving anyway, so that part wasn't such a big deal... the problem was mostly that DH just about had an aneurysm at the mere suggestion of me driving 1400 miles alone.

...oh and the little part where he doesn't fly.

:rofl2:

Me driving 1400 miles alone?   :rofl2:   I can't drive an hour without having a panic attack.  It would take me days to get there, and we're only 620 miles from the Fort.  There's no way David would agree to that.  And I'm happy he feels that way.

I do too, when DW drives to Atlanta by herself. And she's not driving a humongous SUV pulling a TT. Plus it's only 475 miles.

He just about blew a gasket when TurkeyPants and I drove to WDW in May by ourselves. And were just in a car.

We made it better by texting him every hour.

All. night. long.  :rofl2:

Backing in with a moho doesn't bother me ... it's just the getting there.

I once tried to back in our boat trailer into my BIL's driveway ... it took me 45 minutes to get it into the driveway.  And then I couldn't back it around the tree in the middle of the driveway.  The entire time my FIL was standing on the back porch laughing at me.  He was such an evil man.  

Ir's a good thing David didn't introduce me to his parents before our engagement.  Otherwise I probably wouldn't have agreed to marry him.

As long as I don't have to back it in anywhere, I'm good.  I drive the majority of our 1400 miles (each way) anyway.

I figured I'd sort the backing up part out when I got to the Fort.  :rofl2:

My mother was like that.  We all rode horses growing up so she would drive all day pulling a horse trailer but when we arrived she would get out and make me or my sister back into the spot.  It's not that she couldn't do it, she just hated doing it in front of an audience.  lol  I can't blame her for that either!

WBI