• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello, all, to my latest trip report.  It will start slowly and take some time to complete, but eventually we will get to the end.   First of all, thank you for reading along and especially for commen

Wednesday, October 15 -- The Day the Rain Stopped -- Part 1   It was still raining this morning, so I changed our FP+s to the afternoon.  Went to the Trading Post and purchased our refillable mugs.  I

Wednesday, October 15 -- The Day the Rain Stopped -- Part 2   Our next FP was for BTMRR.             Is that ride getting rougher, or are we just getting older and more sensitive?   As we left th

Great job on the final thoughts.

I hope the time is not far off when you get to see if living at the Fort is too long!

TCD

Me too!  Thanks for reading along and commenting.  That really encouraged me to keep going!

Sniff  :-[ 

Sniffing here ... thank you too!

Great final thoughts.

You had alluded before to not being there again for Halloween and said the loop you were in was insane. If Halloween did not fall on a weekend, would you reconsider? Would you reconsider if you were in a different loop? What were your final thoughts on Halloween at the Fort?

I mentioned before how this trip seemed so different from the one last year. Last year besides constantly being on the go it seemed like David and you were missing out on so many just being in the moment times. This time it seemed like you both had those. Some were shared together and some individually. I think those being in the moment times were my favorite parts of your TR.

Great final thoughts.

You had alluded before to not being there again for Halloween and said the loop you were in was insane. If Halloween did not fall on a weekend, would you reconsider? Would you reconsider if you were in a different loop? What were your final thoughts on Halloween at the Fort?

Those are good questions, Yvonne!  We might reconsider if Halloween fell in the middle of a week.  I think/hope there would be less locals coming in then.  I also think part of the problem in the 700 loop is that it's so close to the Settlement, and that's where many people head because they can trick or treat through several loops quickly.

We only want to be in 700.  Primarily because it's the only loop we've found that doesn't have numerous cypress trees.  The droppings from these trees get in Kassie's hair so bad ... it took us 20-30 minutes to clean her up each time we took her out on our first trip in Dolly (we didn't know any better and allowed them to put us in 1900 -- never again!)  Since that trip we've been fortunate to get into 700 every trip.

Another plus of 700 is not having to take a bus to the Settlement.

I mentioned before how this trip seemed so different from the one last year. Last year besides constantly being on the go it seemed like David and you were missing out on so many just being in the moment times. This time it seemed like you both had those. Some were shared together and some individually. I think those being in the moment times were my favorite parts of your TR.

Last year Matthew and his family were with us the first week.  Those kids ran us ragged.  The next week after they left David and I ran around trying to do all the things we missed out on the first week.

Yes, this year we had many, many in the moment times.  And it was really nice.  I'd make three FP+s for the day, usually in the morning and close together.  We had ADRs for a few meals.  But other than that we just went at a leisurely pace if we wanted to, and if we didn't want to do anything we didn't.  I spent a lot more time sitting under the awning just enjoying the Fort this trip.  That third week really made a difference for us.

Wonderful final thoughts.

I'm with you... not sure how much would ever be "enough" at the Fort :)

I appreciated reading your perspective on the scooter.  Unfortunately my mom has been in pain, almost all of her life (she can remember severe neck pain, as early as the age of 8 ).  As a child, she only knew to call them her good days and her bad days.  Sadly the pain just got worse and traveled down to where now even her big toe has severe arthritis.  I don't know if there is a joint in her body that doesn't hurt.  It stinks.  This last trip mom and dad were able to join us, but mom finally admitted that this will probably be the last time she attempts walking the parks.  It's just getting too tough.  Having said that, hearing your review on using a scooter, I actually wonder if our pushing her in a wheelchair would not be easier (additionally, I would imagine that using a scooter puts a good deal of stress on your arms, shoulders and neck and those are the toughest spots for mom)...but, then again, I know my mom and she'll look at that (the wheelchair) as being a burden.  It's tough when you loose something, especially when you know it's a permanent loss.  It's the reason my mom hasn't used a scooter sooner.  She's told me that she's afraid to, because once she starts she knows that that's it...she'll always need it.  May each of us learn to accept and Praise God for the blessings in our life.  "Simple miracles" such a taking a step or taking a breath on our own...they are a gift.  

Thanks again for all the pictures.  Loved them.   Really looking forward to seeing you again this fall, at the Fort   :)

You did a great job on your report. I loved your pictures, you are a talented photographer! Your final thoughts were thought provoking. I know sometimes we can get impatient with others who may be slowing us down. But we should take a moment to be thankful for what we have as one never knows what lays ahead...one day we could be in their situation. As you said, we don't appreciate what we have until it's gone.

Thanks again for sharing.

• 1 month later...

Just got the call ... my uncle Clyde is dying.  He has just a few weeks to live.

_DSC4906_zps0439e92c.jpg

Just like Dad, he's been on periodic blood transfusions for a few years.  And just like Dad, they have suddenly stopped working.

His doctors have called in Hospice and say he has two weeks or less to live.  And my aunt Jo had gall bladder surgery and an appendectomy yesterday.

Dad's funeral service was two years ago tomorrow.  Clyde is the last of the brothers, and he will soon depart this earth.  Prayers for the Beck family would be appreciated.

Just got the call that Clyde died at 3:06 this morning.  Aunt Jo was by his side, and he slipped away peacefully.  Praise the Lord for that.

It's gonna be bittersweet coming to the fort this fall knowing we won't be able to see him again. 

Here are Clyde (on the left) and my father sitting on the porch at Trail's End in 1989:

10869388_10206358952678558_5058993669621

Thanks, everyone.  

Per Clyde's wishes, there will be no memorial.  His body will be cremated, and his ashes will be scattered at sea.  This is a first for me, and I have very mixed feelings about it.

You don't need to have a public memorial, thereby honoring his wishes... but I wouldn't imagine that a family get together is something he would object to.  That precious time is important.

I'm sorry for your loss, Gwen.

I love that photo from the porch-thanks for sharing it.

TCD

Thank you, Andrew!

You don't need to have a public memorial, thereby honoring his wishes... but I wouldn't imagine that a family get together is something he would object to.  That precious time is important.

Oh, I wish we could have a family get-together!  4 people in Florida, 2 in Colorado, and a handful of us here in NC.  It's been at least 30 years since we've all been together.  David and I can't make it down this spring.  We talked about me flying down for a couple of days, but with my mobility issues it would be really difficult for me to do it alone.  Will just have to wait till the fall when we can take the motorhome down.