The deer and the turkeys are getting as brave as the squirrels...

A couple of years ago we were in 334 and 3 or 4 deer walked right through the back part of the site along the bushes, not 10 feet from where the dogs' pen was.

As for the turkeys... Bz had a staring contest with some last year.  They were walking into our site and just about onto the pavement.  They won. She didn't know what the heck to do with them, so she turned around and walked away.  Didn't hurt that they were almost as big as she is!

The deer and the turkeys are getting as brave as the squirrels...

I agree. In June we had a family of turkeys that lived with us in the 1500 loop and then in October they found us in the 100 loop, along with a deer who we saw every day and a very loud (digging) armadillo that came to say hello every night :) No complaints though...we loved seeing them all! :)

Oh...we also saw two HUGE turkeys up by the outpost a few weeks ago (not the skinny ones we typically see at the Fort). They were so large that CMs were out there taking pictures. Thought these guys were pretty brave...being out and so large that close to Thanksgiving ;)

We actually almost hit a good sized deer with the golf cart one time, just up the road from the dog park.  It was late-ish and thankfully we saw him in time.  He just stood there for a bit, then casually sauntered away.

I think the deer and the turkeys know they're perfectly safe at the Fort.  8)

I asked one of the CM at the front desk about the road between the Meadow group campsite and the marina and why it was marked for authorized vehicles only. He said, "oh, that's a nature preserve area. People ask about it and we tell them that people shouldn't go back there because there are bear and florida panthers sighted occasionally and people go back there anyway. I keep waiting for a camper to try and outrun a bear back there."

I have heard about bear sightings a the Fort, and I have read that there are over 50 human-bear interactions a year in the Orlando area, so I could believe the bear bit. Not so sure about the panther bit.

But on a serious note... I wouldn't want those deer so close to my site and stuff.

Why you ask?

One word...TICKS!

I can say that (knock wood) my dogs have never picked up a tick at the Fort.  And I usually walk Brady out along the 300 canal daily, and the big ol' hairball is a magnet for ticks.

Now those flippin' Florida FLEAS are another story.

My dogs have never had a single flea on them up here in the last 13 years, but they've picked them up twice at the Fort, even though they were on preventative. Granted it was the herbal preventative, but we've never needed anything stronger than that here.

The fleas are the reason my gang now gets a dose of the heavy duty stuff just once a year, right before we leave.