The TCD Gang Jump Starts Christmas: An Early November Fort Trip Report

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll sing Christmas carols cheaper than the $30 for a special band! Dominic the donkey is my specialty.

The TCD gang hasn't camped at the Fort since the 4th of July.   I can't tell you how hard it was to not go for Halloween this year.   But we couldn't.  We already had other plans.   The oldest TCD DD

It's Florida....it thaws quickly. 

Don't worry I would never say anything bad about Swiss Family Robinson, I've always been a huge fan of that one.

As a kid I taped it off of tv, back when Disney showed a movie one night a week, and people had VCRs.  I wore that copy out.  Recently I watched it and saw parts I didn't remember, it never occurred to me that my bootleg copy I watched as a kid had been edited down, I had forgotten all about the snake fight scene.

Oh and I still like to walk through the tree house.  You hear that Troll, I like the tree house!  I guess because I always dreamed of building one like it.

While we're talking about older movies, me and my sister loved all of the old live action Disney movies, not that long ago I made my wife watch In Search of the Castaways, most people don't remember that one.

WBI

You are so young.  Back when I was a kid, there were no VCR's.  We watched Disney on Sunday night, and if we missed it, we missed it.

I don't remember the snake fight scene in Swiss Family Robinson.  I need to watch it again some time.

Let me know when you get that treehouse built.  I'll come and tour it.

As for the one at WDW, Twin #1 sometimes has the job of waking the treehouse at the end of the night to make sure no guests are hiding in it.  So, if you ever want to spend the night, that could be arranged.

Speaking of old Disney movies, I was surprised to see that they played Pete's Dragon one night at the campfire when we were at the Fort on this trip.  I would have gone to watch it, but I didn't look at the schedule until it was too late.

Great family photos on Main Street.  Definitely Christmas card material. 

Yes, maybe.  I wish we had gotten a group shot with Big Al.  That would have been better.

Very nice update!!

Thanks.

And it was good to see you and Rick again at the Fort. We haven't gotten to that part yet.

Great family photos!

And I like that long sleeve tee, was that a special purchase for the Christmas party?

WBI

Thanks.

That shirt is just regular Christmas merchandise. They had them for sale at the Emporium on Main Street.  They're out all the time, not just for the Christmas party. It ended up that all of the girls got one too.

TCD

How great that your whole family got to do the party together!  I think I like the night shot family photo better than the daylight one.  That castle looks so great all lit up!

Now, about Swiss Family Robinson.  I've always loved the treehouse at WDW.  This summer, when looking for something different to read, I decided to try SFR.  Well, it was a chore and a half.  It's written in 1800's english... and 1800's puritanical ideals....  It didn't help that I had an old edition of the book at home, then decided to download a version onto my Nook, but turns out they were vastly different!  I did some research and found out that the original author (the father) never finished the book, and one of his sons did, but then various editors over the years put their fingers into the story themselves as well.  I never could finish the book, but decided to watch the movie, as I never remember seeing it as a child.  The movie improves upon the book tremendously!  And I'll still love the treehouse....

We had stumbled upon a special character meet and greet. 

11514187_zps470db940.jpg

Had to make sure i could quickly get tot he picture of Robin, as 19yo is a big fan.  When she sees that, it will renew her desire to return to WDW ASAP.  LOL

My kids went to a 7:30pm showing of Big Hero 6 the night before it was supposed to open.  They just keep doing that earlier and earlier.  Still, as a mom, I was happy my kids were not driving home at 2am!  Oh, and I saw a huge buck a few miles from our house just night.  Those things can do major damage to a car. By the grace of God, my friend who was driving saw it and slowed way down immediately.

The whole family went to see Big hero Six on saturday and loved it.  I am counting on you to get pictures of the meet and greet, as I want to see which characters they have.  My 19yo would adore being Heny Lemon for a meet and greet.  Finally, a Disney character that is tall and not Goofy or Clarabell.  LOL

Good catch about that boy in the back row.  You're right. There was a scene.  I don't judge parents in this situation, and forgot about it, but it was bad.  That mom and two boys were standing off to the side when we were being assigned our places for the elevator.  The CM went over to see if they were ready, and then put them in their spots.  The smaller boy clearly didn't want to go on the ride. The mom insisted.  It was an awkward situation for the CM.  And for the rest of us.  That kid cried the whole time, and was mad at the mom at the end.

I am such a bad mom.  I know I should feel bad for taking my reluctant 7yo on 4 roller coasters.  I really should feel bad.

The first thing was this little car.  Look at the seats:

11514229_zps74cad316.jpg

Love the car!

While we're talking about older movies, me and my sister loved all of the old live action Disney movies, not that long ago I made my wife watch In Search of the Castaways, most people don't remember that one.

WBI

You have intrigued me.  i will see if my library has a copy I can share with the kids. :)

Your family photo in front of the lighted castle is the best, in my opinion.

I also enjoyed the mine train photo. Mrs. TCD looks like Twin #1 in it. It looks like they're really enjoying their ride. We rode it earlier this month and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised after reading so many negative comments online.

Wonderful family pictures! I sometimes worry that Mrs. TCD doesn't get to do anything fun like the rest of you so it's nice to see her joining you on this trip and it looks like she's having a good time. I couldn't imagine my husband going to WDW with my boys without me, but that may be a factor of living so far away.  The dance party looks like fun and it's nice to see some different characters. Imagine, Disney movies existed before Anna, Elsa and Olaf. My Dad was a big Big Al fan.

Great update and family pictures.

Minor Hijack 

I went on Netflix and watched some of Robin Hood.  I can see why you did not care for it.  It was like a real cheap cartoon that was drawn out way too long.  I was surprised that Disney released the movie.  It sent some inappropriate messages.RobinHood1.png    

While the bear is a male dressed like a female did they really need to do this.  While they were steeling from the royals the bear stuffed his bra and behind, greatly exaggerating the female form. This is not that big of a deal but why?  What was the point. 

\ Hijack off 

How great that your whole family got to do the party together!  I think I like the night shot family photo better than the daylight one.  That castle looks so great all lit up!

Now, about Swiss Family Robinson.  I've always loved the treehouse at WDW.  This summer, when looking for something different to read, I decided to try SFR.  Well, it was a chore and a half.  It's written in 1800's english... and 1800's puritanical ideals....  It didn't help that I had an old edition of the book at home, then decided to download a version onto my Nook, but turns out they were vastly different!  I did some research and found out that the original author (the father) never finished the book, and one of his sons did, but then various editors over the years put their fingers into the story themselves as well.  I never could finish the book, but decided to watch the movie, as I never remember seeing it as a child.  The movie improves upon the book tremendously!  And I'll still love the treehouse....

Thanks.

That's very interesting about the Swiss Family Robinson book.  I've never tried to read it.  It's been a while since I've seen the movie.  I think we need to break out our copy sometime for the holidays.

We had different characters at the Diamond horseshoe, clarabell and some chicken and I forget who the other was.

You can see that chicken in the very first photo I posted from the Hootenanny.  They were doing the Chicken Dance when we entered. I almost walked right out.  Anything but the Chicken Dance!

Prediction:

The twins will not want to work anywhere else and will be full time CMs at WDW after graduating from college.

Very good.

That seems to be the consensus at the moment.  Twin #2 was always onboard with that plan.  Twin #1 wasn't so sure.  But, now they both want to get their degrees and work for the Mouse.

Does any family enjoy WDW any more than the TCD Family?  A busy evening on a full stomach.

Good question.  I think there are a few Fiend families who are in the same category.

Had to make sure i could quickly get tot he picture of Robin, as 19yo is a big fan.  When she sees that, it will renew her desire to return to WDW ASAP.  LOL

Wow. Too bad y'all didn't get to meet Robin Hood. I didn't even know it was possible, but there he was.

The whole family went to see Big hero Six on saturday and loved it.  I am counting on you to get pictures of the meet and greet, as I want to see which characters they have.  My 19yo would adore being Heny Lemon for a meet and greet.  Finally, a Disney character that is tall and not Goofy or Clarabell.  LOL

I have not yet been to the Big Hero Six meet and greet. I think it did soft open on Friday the 7th, but we were busy with our Christmas party plans.

Of course, the twins have been.

You can meet Baymax and Hiro. No Honey Lemon yet:

baymaxhiro_zps0e58c6bd.jpg

The girls say the Baymax character is awesome. He moves around just like in the movie, and his eyes blink.

I am such a bad mom.  I know I should feel bad for taking my reluctant 7yo on 4 roller coasters.  I really should feel bad.

Been there. Done that. It's a tough issue to deal with when you have other family members who want to go.

Your family photo in front of the lighted castle is the best, in my opinion.

I also enjoyed the mine train photo. Mrs. TCD looks like Twin #1 in it. It looks like they're really enjoying their ride. We rode it earlier this month and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised after reading so many negative comments online.

Thanks.

Initially, I was underwhelmed by the Mine Train. I was expecting so much more, but it's a nice ride and a lot of fun. Just too short.

You definitely have some great Christmas card photos in the last update. You should add yourself to the Fort Fiend Christmas card exchange.

Thanks. I am not sure we will actually send out cards this year. But if we do, I will.

TCD

The family pics are great!

Good job on the late ressie and big discount.

Hammock time!

Inability of morons to fix canvas SMB.

Looking forward to more partying!

Thanks, Aaron.

I made sure to include the covered wagon photo for you.

Morons is right.

It's great to see Mrs. TCD joining you!  And great family photos!

I'd forgotten that LTT is family style at dinner.  Try it at lunch some time when they have a menu.  I think you'd like it better.

It is always fun when Mrs. TCD shows up.  She loves Disney, but in smaller doses than the rest of us.

I liked the food at LTT.  I didn't care for our server.  I would go again.  But only if I'm getting a big discount.  Full price would not be worth it.

Love all the characters that come out at the Christmas party!  We're going to do this one, for the first time, next year.... I think the kids (and mom/dad :) )  will really enjoy it :)

The characters are a fun part of the parties.  And, it's really nice that for the most part none of them require long waits to meet.

That's awesome that you're going next year.  it's a fun time.

Oh...also, love the castle pics :)  The one where it looks like it has diamonds on it, is always my favorite.  I wonder what Disney's electric bill is like each month...  :bugeyes:

I wonder about the electric bill.

We had a CM tell us once that since the DreamLights are LED, they only use about as much electricity as a household refrigerator.  Who knows?

Great, great update!

What an awesome family day!

I know it's not a democracy but my vote for family Christmas card is the picture at night in front of the caste.

It really was an awesome family day.  It's rare for us to all be together to enjoy something as a family these days- so that made it extra special. 

It put us all in the Christmas spirit big time.

I don't thnk you would go wrong with either pic.

I agree.  Twin #1 is probably already working on some kind of collage so we can include a lot of the photos.  We shall see.

Wonderful family pictures! I sometimes worry that Mrs. TCD doesn't get to do anything fun like the rest of you so it's nice to see her joining you on this trip and it looks like she's having a good time. I couldn't imagine my husband going to WDW with my boys without me, but that may be a factor of living so far away.  The dance party looks like fun and it's nice to see some different characters. Imagine, Disney movies existed before Anna, Elsa and Olaf. My Dad was a big Big Al fan.

One thing that was special about the night is that going to the MVMCP's is one thing that Mrs. TCD used to always do when the girls were younger.  She loves the parties as much as the rest of us.

Your dad was a smart man.  I may be one of the only people who owns a copy of the Country Bears movie.  I really like it. But, I'm the only one in my family who does.

Great update and family pictures.

Minor Hijack 

I went on Netflix and watched some of Robin Hood.  I can see why you did not care for it.  It was like a real cheap cartoon that was drawn out way too long.  I was surprised that Disney released the movie.  It sent some inappropriate messages.RobinHood1.png    

While the bear is a male dressed like a female did they really need to do this.  While they were steeling from the royals the bear stuffed his bra and behind, greatly exaggerating the female form. This is not that big of a deal but why?  What was the point. 

\ Hijack off 

What the Fort?

Luckily for me, I have no recollection of that scene.

Unluckily for me, you had to share that image.

Man, that looks bad.

I was thinking of digging out a copy of Robin Hood so I could watch it and see if perhaps I had been too harsh with my review as a child.

Now, I think I'll leave it be.

TCD

I have not yet been to the Big Hero Six meet and greet. I think it did soft open on Friday the 7th, but we were busy with our Christmas party plans.

Of course, the twins have been.

You can meet Baymax and Hiro. No Honey Lemon yet:

baymaxhiro_zps0e58c6bd.jpg

The girls say the Baymax character is awesome. He moves around just like in the movie, and his eyes blink.

Very cool!!

Been there. Done that. It's a tough issue to deal with when you have other family members who want to go.

The thing is, i was fine with staying her and letting the rest of the kids go on rides without me.  So I can't blame it on other family members wanting to go.  It was that those were the rides i really wanted to go on.  And i was the one who wrote the aggresive touring plan with no time for rider swap.  But she is not scared for life and really didn't scream that much more than anyone else.  Except on EE.  That was the one where I thought she was going to faint from lack of oxygen - she screamed for about a straight minute.  LOL

Okay, that did not work the way I thought it would, but you get the general idea.

The thing is, i was fine with staying her and letting the rest of the kids go on rides without me. So I can't blame it on other family members wanting to go. It was that those were the rides i really wanted to go on. And i was the one who wrote the aggresive touring plan with no time for rider swap. But she is not scared for life and really didn't scream that much more than anyone else. Except on EE. That was the one where I thought she was going to faint from lack of oxygen - she screamed for about a straight minute. LOL

Like I said- I don't judge other parents in these situations. They know their kids. That mom we were talking about on TOT must have thought that her son was overreacting, and that he would be fine on the ride. She thought wrong. Doesn't make her a bad parent. It doesn't make sense that your 7 year old would be so freaked out on EE. But, kids don't always make sense.

TCD

Your dad was a smart man.  I may be one of the only people who owns a copy of the Country Bears movie.  I really like it. But, I'm the only one in my family who does.

Well count me in as probably the only other person who owns that movie.  My oldest had a weird love/hate relationship with Big Al when she was little.  She liked him in the Country Bear Jamboree but one time we saw the costumed Big Al walking around Frontierland and she screamed bloody murder. If she hadn't been so terrified it would have been funny. 

Well count me in as probably the only other person who owns that movie.  My oldest had a weird love/hate relationship with Big Al when she was little.  She liked him in the Country Bear Jamboree but one time we saw the costumed Big Al walking around Frontierland and she screamed bloody murder. If she hadn't been so terrified it would have been funny. 

I'm sorry your daughter was terrified, but that is pretty funny.

One of the TCD girls didn't like characters when she was younger.  I always said she was the smart one.  Why shouldn't a kid be afraid of some giant creature trying to get a hug?

TCD

Update time.

We left off with us heading to Main Street to search out a suitable fireworks spot.  This was a sold out party, which meant it was a little crowded.  It was nothing like a regular park day, but there were a lot of people who would be looking for good fireworks spots.  Also, we wanted to watch the parade from Main Street, and those spots are always in demand.  The other factor in play is the fact that they have some big areas of prime fireworks viewing blocked off by construction walls.  I thought they would have that all done by the time the holidays got here, but they're far from done.  And, it is causing some real problems with crowding.

The fireworks were at 9:30.  The parade was at 10:30.  That meant we would have a bit of a wait on Main Street, but sometimes that's what you have to do.

It is a well documented fact that I cannot take good fireworks photos, so I just have two to share.

This one shows you our location on Main Street- we were pretty far back from the castle- past the big clock- you can see how many people are in front of us.  We chose to stand back a bit so we weren't squished in:

11514291_zps08aeb100.jpg

Also of slight interest in that last photo- look how one of the lights on that one new wreath did not shut off.  The twins had visited the MK right after those new wreaths went up earlier in the week, and there were some that were not lit up when they were supposed to be.  Technical difficulties already.  They only had a whole year to plan for this.  Sigh.

Here's the other fireworks photo I have.  At the end, for the finale, the Dreamlights come on.  I love that part:

11514298_zpsfc5a5195.jpg

You can see in that last photo that is was around 9:42 pm when the fireworks ended.  The second parade was at 10:30.  There were a few folks around claiming parade spots now, and we knew that we needed to find our spot if we wanted to watch from the front row on Main Street.  We looked around, and decided on a spot across from the Emporium, just past the clock.  We spread out a bit, and saved spaces well enough that the girls could go off in pairs to look at the stores and walk around.  This is the view where we were seated at around 10 pm:

11514300_zpse5925d5d.jpg

The people watching was good from this spot, because there were photopass photographers taking photos right there in front of us.  It was fun to watch people posing.

We love to watch the Christmas parade from Main Street, because they have the magical snow falling the whole time:

11514301_zps3d65f87e.jpg

I missed it, but one of the twins noticed that the window there on the left of the Arcade sign slid open by itself as we sat there.  Did you know they do that?  Those are where they hide the speakers for the parade soundtrack:

11514302_zps9a105688.jpg

Here's a blurry photo showing the new wreaths- I like how the candles light up.  The flame part flickers like a real flame:

11514304_zps508bd4a7.jpg

I didn't know there was a little pre-show for the parade, but at 10:25, the Kringle Krew showed up:

11514306_zps7ae39805.jpg

These were dancers who bounced giant white balls.  One of the dancers entrusted the oldest TCD DD with her giant white ball.  That was a good choice,  I would not have followed the instructions to just sit there and hold the ball.  But, unlike her father, she is a rule follower. It's funny how that happened:

11514307_zps4ebdff31.jpg

Some holiday dancing, prancing, and ball bouncing ensued:

11514309_zps01734156.jpg

This photo was not intentional, but I'm sharing it in case anyone was wondering what the female dancers have on beneath their skirts:

11514314_zps10a7dcbd.jpg

The dancers were gone by 10:30.  But no parade.

When they say the parade starts at 10:30, that's true.

But it starts in Frontierland, and takes about 20 minutes until it gets to Main Street.

I took this photo at 10:49.  We could see the parade down by the Hub.  This gives you and idea how crowded it was on Main Street:

11514315_zps1c21549e.jpg

The parade starts out with a bunch of random characters in winter gear:

11514316_zps08a47b72.jpg

There are usually characters that you don't always see out together. Like Pinocchio and Geppetto:

11514317_zps6ba2a161.jpg

Old favorites are included too, like Tigger and Pooh, whom you can see in the back of that last photo.

The characters lined up and walked down the street together, but my flash didn't go off until their back were to us:

11514318_zps58647c1f.jpg

Since this is the Christmas parade, Mickey and Minnie do not get the last spot- that is reserved for someone else. Mickey and Minnie ride on the first float of the parade.  And the ubiquitous Duffy joins them:

11514320_zpsf675c004.jpg

Guess who comes right after the main mice?

Yup.

The Frozen sisters.  I'm surprised they didn't put them first:

11514322_zps2711d152.jpg

That big horse pulling them is from the Fort.

Anna and Elsa, are, of course, followed immediately by the Royal Poopscoopers of Arendale:

11514323_zps6590659c.jpg

I like how it's a two person operation.

I always wonder how these CM feel about being assigned this role.  You get a fancy costume, but you also get a shovel.  And, it's not just for show.

Here's a look at the back of the sisters' cart- or sleigh I should say- it's different from the one they rode on for the processional they did at Hollywood Studios over the summer:

11514324_zps09ea80e5.jpg

If you made it to Hollywood Studios to see that processional, the next part of the Christmas parade will be very familiar to you.

They have the same guys on roller skis:

11514327_zps8bc4478e.jpg

The next float was also used in the summer parade at DHS, but this time, instead of it being mysteriously empty, it has an occupant:

11514330_zps8330d4ac.jpg

BTW- don't miss the lady over there on the curb to the right.  She is putting the iPad photographers to shame.  She is using a whole laptop.  Take that iPad guy.

Here's one more look at Olaf.  His presence on this float led to an interesting discussion among the TCD gang. I'll share that in the update after this one:

11514331_zps140105ed.jpg

I'll bet these dancing ice cutters didn't know they would be dancing and swinging their pick axes for the rest of the year when they signed up for duty last July:

11514332_zps847de74b.jpg

And here comes Kristoff. There's a CM who lucked in to a sweet gig:

11514335_zps9211d27f.jpg

While Kristoff gets that giant float all to himself, Chip and Dale, who used to ride on that float, are now walking behind it with the lowly chefs and gingerbread men:

11514336_zps4d7392a3.jpg

The chipmunks don't seem mad:

11514339_zps707ef89c.jpg

Your basic dancing gingerbread men and Christmas chef shot:

11514342_zpse7fae895.jpg

Wreck it Ralph and the Glitch weren't in the parade last year. But they are now:

11514344_zps941d6096.jpg

I think that used to be Donald Duck's house.

The nerve.  He's probably going to wreck it, too.

Here's the good old Goofy float.  They always find a way to work this one in:

11514349_zps8776af34.jpg

Next up were the seven dwarfs, but all of my photos of them are blurry.  Snow White gets to ride in this parade:

11514352_zps1ba2d8b0.jpg

Next came Cinderella's carriage. Pulled by the ponies who live at the Fort:

11514353_zpse10a57af.jpg

I would finish up with the parade photos in this update, but we're at the photo limit.

Next up, some more parade photos, and we will look at some photos of some of the floats when they were used in other parades.  You may find that mildly interesting.

TCD