Overall experience from recent trip

We just got home from our trip to the Fort and had a great time, but wanted to share a few observations that concern me. I know there are many others who are at the Fort more often than us and can provide more input, but I was somewhat surprised at some of the stuff the Fort is allowing to happen.

We have always had good experiences, but on this trip over Thanksgiving I was surprised at the amount of sites with multiple tents, more than 2 cars, cleanliness of the bath houses and lack of any Disney patrols. It started when we pulled into the 1700 loop and could barely find our way through with all the cars parked right on the road. We only have a Jayco 29qbh travel trailer, but a couple of times I almost could not get by. The worst one happened to be our neighbors who had 3 cars parked on their site and a cart across the street right next to the road. They were all standing outside and saw me coming, but no one offered to move any vehicle. I actually had to drive off the road a little so I could angle my trailer to get by them. Once parked all was good with the site. As we walked around during the week I found many sites with more than 2 cars on the site and many had so many people on the site. Wish Disney would limit the total # of people on a site as 10 is way too many especially in the 1600 - 1900 loops.

On the first night a few sites down from us was having a "party" and had the music blaring and a wide open campfire going. Finally someone from Disney did drive by and shut them down, but it took a while! They were not the only ones who had open campfires! The rest of the trip was a little more quiet, but I found the bathhouses not as we'll maintained as I recall. Is this a cost savings measure? I know the rain did not help, but usually Disney keeps these these very clean. Also I never saw anyone patrolling the loops until the end of our trip. I know the Fort was packed for the Holidays, but I think Disney turned a blind eye especially due tot the parking lot being packed as well.

As I said we love the Fort, but am curious if Disney has let the standard slide.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's it, exactly.   Based on what I've seen, the problem is that there are guests using the Fort as a place to congregate and party- not to camp.  Over Thanksgiving weekend, there were a couple of l

The problem is they have a unique product (campground at an attraction) and they know it.   Now if Universal decided to build a campground, or if KOA built a large one in the area they may start to li

I can solve this problem. Bring beer to my campsite, and I'll take care of the rule breakers who are bothering you. 

I am sorry that you had a bad experience.  Thank you for sharing because it will help some.  There is a cause for concern because people like myself take vacations as an extended family.  There are 6.5 of us on this trip. This is typically the scene wherever we camp (large families).  Or it could be that is just what I gravitate towards.  I think there is an etiquette that needs to be followed and itt evidently wasn't on your trip.  There is an issue with the overflow lot being at capacity due to the nature of camping.  I wish that Disney would offer more parking space.  Even if it is in a distant lot, it would help.  

I would encourage you to write Disney with your concerns.  Unfortunately, they are not best at enforcing rules at the Fort...but I do think that it's important that we pass along our feelings.  Disney is in business to make money, and the fact is... people who do not care, do cause them money.  They will drive away good customers who typically pay more and cost less (because they do less damage).   

I'm sorry some of the magic was taken away :(

I agree there seemed to be a lot of cars at sites and tons of trailers and vehicles in the overflow lot.  I assumed it was because it was a busy week, but I'm also not used to the new rule allowing two cars at the site.

They even setup another parking lot near the unhook area, complete with a big sign saying parking for the dinner show, I thought that was strange.

I was surprised to see a few campers sitting in the overflow lot for a days at a time, unhooked with no tow vehicle.  Are they letting people leave them there and go on cruises? That would be awesome.

WBI

As I said we love the Fort, but am curious if Disney has let the standard slide.

How often do you visit the Fort?  The standard slid a long time ago.

The problem is that Disney makes no effort to enforce the rules, and everyone knows it.

Skateboards are not allowed in the Fort.  But, I see them all over the place every time I'm there.

Only licensed drivers are allowed to drive golf carts.  But you see kids driving them all the time. 

Fires are only allowed in approved fire pits.  The main rule is that the fire pit must have a solid cover on top.  But, you can drive around every night and see campfires in all kinds of fire pits, including ones with no cover at all.

Supposedly, you can't keep a utility trailer at your site unless it fits on the pad, but you can go to the Fort right now and see trailers sitting off to the side or behind sites.

The latest is this stupid rule saying that holiday decorations need to be shut of by 10 pm.  Some guests comply, but many don't, and have their lights and decorations up all night long. 

Oh and quiet hours.  What are those?  Apparently they don't apply in the 2000 loop, where you will feel like you're at a Miami Sound Machine concert if you loop around there at 11 pm on a Saturday night.

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned this, but the problem is that the managers in charge are a bunch of idiots.  What's the use of having rules if they are really just suggestions?

TCD

How often do you visit the Fort? The standard slid a long time ago.

The problem is that Disney makes no effort to enforce the rules, and everyone knows it.

Skateboards are not allowed in the Fort. But, I see them all over the place every time I'm there.

Only licensed drivers are allowed to drive golf carts. But you see kids driving them all the time.

Fires are only allowed in approved fire pits. The main rule is that the fire pit must have a solid cover on top. But, you can drive around every night and see campfires in all kinds of fire pits, including ones with no cover at all.

Supposedly, you can't keep a utility trailer at your site unless it fits on the pad, but you can go to the Fort right now and see trailers sitting off to the side or behind sites.

The latest is this stupid rule saying that holiday decorations need to be shut of by 10 pm. Some guests comply, but many don't, and have their lights and decorations up all night long.

Oh and quiet hours. What are those? Apparently they don't apply in the 2000 loop, where you will feel like you're at a Miami Sound Machine concert if you loop around there at 11 pm on a Saturday night.

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned this, but the problem is that the managers in charge are a bunch of idiots. What's the use of having rules if they are really just suggestions?

TCD

We are usually at the Fort every couple of years. I agree with what you said as I witnessed all of what you mentioned. That is unfortunate. I still love camping there, but hate to see this.

I agree there seemed to be a lot of cars at sites and tons of trailers and vehicles in the overflow lot. I assumed it was because it was a busy week, but I'm also not used to the new rule allowing two cars at the site.

They even setup another parking lot near the unhook area, complete with a big sign saying parking for the dinner show, I thought that was strange.

I was surprised to see a few campers sitting in the overflow lot for a days at a time, unhooked with no tow vehicle. Are they letting people leave them there and go on cruises? That would be awesome.

WBI

If the Redwood 5th wheel is still parked in the corner it will have been there over 1 weeks now! Of course it is a free for all parking style.

We've been here a couple of weeks now and have seen all that.(as usual) but any semblance of rules goes completely out the window over a holiday.

The 3-4 days over Thanksgiving were waaaaaay worse than the rest of our time here, and it's pretty much back to normal now.

And by normal I mean not so much a free for all, but still plenty of things that, according to the info you get at check in, aren't supposed to happen.

Weekender, I sent you a message.

We had a horrible experience a year ago September in the 2000 loop.  It was as bad if not worse that what you went through.

It was like the wild west with no rules at all.

When I complained to management they passed it off as a busy weekend and their rangers/guards were spread thin.

I replied that your lack of staffing shouldn't affect my stay and that I paid good money to be able to camp and relax without idiots ruining my vacation.

Whats funny is that the Fort has an anything goes attitude on a lot of rules so they don't offend/upset a customer and possibly lose their return business.  just like a retail stores "The customer is always right" creedo.

What they don't take into consideration is that the troublemakers are ruining a lot of other peoples stay and they may just decide to never come back.  There are some first time Fort campers that might just think the place is an overpriced dump the way the small majority of idiots act.

Plus, if they did toss out someone and they never came back, there are plenty of people willing to book that site.

Whats funny is that the Fort has an anything goes attitude on a lot of rules so they don't offend/upset a customer and possibly lose their return business.  just like a retail stores "The customer is always right" creedo.

What they don't take into consideration is that the troublemakers are ruining a lot of other peoples stay and they may just decide to never come back. 

I'm not sure if it's that management doesn't want to ruin anyone's vacation, or that they simply don't have any balls to confront someone. 

I'm not sure if it's that management doesn't want to ruin anyone's vacation, or that they simply don't have any balls to confront someone.

OK, I am probably about to start a firestorm, but what the heck...

I was there for 14 days just before Thanksgiving. 200 loop, which has a comfort station shared with the 100 loop. Several times during my stay every site was occupied in both loops - can't get more crowded than that. If the comfort stations where not up to the "old standards", what the heck were the old standards? Operating room standards? I have never seen cleaner comfort stations in any campground in my entire camping life. EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Yes, the lights were on after 10 in many sites. Looked really cool at night. Did not affect me in my popup in any way when I went to sleep early a couple of nights. Don't really see the issue.

Yes, some folks had several cars parked at their sites. Didn't bleed over to adjacent sites, and they weren't any more an eyesore than my single very large late model pickup at my site.

Yes, some sites had a mess of folks. Horrible people: they were drinking (sometimes alcoholic!!!!), eating, laughing, etc. How dare they?

Now, the people who wouldnt move while RV's are trying to pass are just rude. But some of the rules at Disney are there to prevent excesses, not normal fun.

For example, I was given the riot act by a state park ranger at Red Top here in Georgia for having my dog off leash. A 60 year old man with a Golden Retriever who was sitting on the ground beside me with my hand on his head: at 7am on a Tuesday with no one else on the trail (we were waiting for his car to pass in order to cross the only road on the trail). He slammed on his brakes, got out of the car, and dressed me down like a teenager breaking curfew. Was it against the rules? Absolutely. Was that situation why the rule was written in the first place? Absolutely not.

I think Lou would confirm that they have to keep the "Disney Magic" and it's not that they don't have the "testicular foritude" to do it. (had to keep it more pc than Dave) :rofl3:

Why do so many people use the comfort stations if they have bathrooms in their RV's?  I've camped at the Fort for many years running now and I haven't been in one of the bath houses for years.

No offense to those that had rather use the bath houses, but that's the reason I made sure my TT has a good bathroom, I always hated to have to go to the bath houses when we were tent camping.  I had enough of communal bath rooms when I was in the Army.

I do understand that when camping with a large group, the bath houses come in handy and perhaps this is why they are used so much.

I'm sure there are many reasons....

Small campers, popups, tent campers, no bath facilities...

Medium campers, tiny showers, small hot water heater, prefer the larger showers and endless hot water at the comfort station...

and as you said, large groups, even in the biggest motor homes, one bathroom, one shower, all can get ready at the same time...

For the bath house Carol hit it on the head for the reasons we sometimes use them. Our hot water heater just cannot keep up with 3 showers.

Overall I am very happy with the Fort and will return, but it just wish Disney would enforce the rules they have in place. If not the good campers will not return and the bad campers will take over. In the end it really is the responsibility of the campers to be considerate of others. I know most of us are, but there will always be those that are not and is probably why the rules were put in place.

In the end it really is the responsibility of the campers to be considerate of others. I know most of us are, but there will always be those that are not and is probably why the rules were put in place.

That's it, exactly.

Based on what I've seen, the problem is that there are guests using the Fort as a place to congregate and party- not to camp.  Over Thanksgiving weekend, there were a couple of large groups on the 2000 loop.  One of these groups had about ten sites.  Every one of those sites had a small U-Haul trailer on it in addition to multiple cars.  One site had two U-Haul trailers.  Why the Fort does anyone need a U-Haul trailer to tent camp?  These folks weren't there to camp.  They were there to party, and the tents were just there for them to sleep it off.

Looking at the bigger picture, the problem with a lack of consideration for others isn't confined to the Fort.  It is engrained in our society now.  One of the reasons that the comfort stations aren't as clean as they used to be is that people have become inconsiderate slobs who make messes and leave them for someone else.  It's not just at the Fort.  You can see it in the restrooms throughout Disney World or at your local mall or movie theater.  Also, have you noticed how there's more trash on the ground at the parks?  Disney used to be much more vigilant about picking it up.  And guests used to be much more considerate about making sure trash was properly thrown away.

If we lived in a society where people were considerate of others, none of the new rules the Fort has implemented would be necessary.  If the idiots in charge would enforce the rules, then maybe some of the inconsiderate guests would take their U-Hauls elsewhere.

TCD

That's it, exactly.

Based on what I've seen, the problem is that there are guests using the Fort as a place to congregate and party- not to camp.  Over Thanksgiving weekend, there were a couple of large groups on the 2000 loop.  One of these groups had about ten sites.  Every one of those sites had a small U-Haul trailer on it in addition to multiple cars.  One site had two U-Haul trailers.  Why the Fort does anyone need a U-Haul trailer to tent camp?  These folks weren't there to camp.  They were there to party, and the tents were just there for them to sleep it off.

Looking at the bigger picture, the problem with a lack of consideration for others isn't confined to the Fort.  It is engrained in our society now.  One of the reasons that the comfort stations aren't as clean as they used to be is that people have become inconsiderate slobs who make messes and leave them for someone else.  It's not just at the Fort.  You can see it in the restrooms throughout Disney World or at your local mall or movie theater.  Also, have you noticed how there's more trash on the ground at the parks?  Disney used to be much more vigilant about picking it up.  And guests used to be much more considerate about making sure trash was properly thrown away.

If we lived in a society where people were considerate of others, none of the new rules the Fort has implemented would be necessary.  If the idiots in charge would enforce the rules, then maybe some of the inconsiderate guests would take their U-Hauls elsewhere.

TCD

Amen!!!

I agree. It is almost impossible to keep anything nice if everyone doesn't do there part. From cleaning up after themselves to not tearing it up in the first place. I hate to see kids playing in flower beds.

People have no common sense or courtesy anymore. 

Example:  this past Sunday evening was the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Franklin, which was one of the deadliest battles of the Civil War.  We went to the battleground to view the commemoration, which included 10,000 luminaries representing the number of casualties in the battle.  To me, this was hallowed ground, and we kept our children by our side and quiet.  A handful of parents let their kids run around through the luminaries like it was a playground.  I thought it was disrespectful and disgraceful.  But maybe I'm out of touch. 

This is a great topic and could go on forever. I do understand that we don't live in a perfect world and rules will always be broken. I agree fort management is useless. I think what is lacking is consistency. Don't yell at me for parking my golf cart off the pad yet allow a rental fleet of uhauls all over the place. I was talking to TCD this past weekend and we both agree the overflow lot is an area that fort management cares nothing about. How long could you leave a trailer there? If your a local, could this be considered free storage? Can I park across 5 spots like I own a Ferrari or something? Things like this will cause people not to follow rules and put numerous cars and utility trailers on their site. The site next to us actually had their tow vehicle and utility trailer parked behind the pad. It gets me so mad because I can be so OCD.

On another note, we went to Ohana one night and the table next to us had an infant in a high chair. The parents put the baby's food right on the table, no plate and the mess on the floor was equal to the mess on the table. The parents thought it was funny the mess the child made. It's not the baby's fault if course but the scum bag parents. No respect or courtesy these days. Can you imagine where that rag has been all night that wiped that table?