It seems even worse at Disney but I think a lot of people just turn off their brains completely on vacation. Having grown up in the tourist business Ive seen it all my life. While 20 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico on a 65ft fishing boat my mom had a man come up to her and ask how far above sea level were they, she looked over the rail and said about 5ft.

:lmao1:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We ran in to a security guard who is am amateur comedian at the MK bag check.  The guest in front of us had a Star Wars backpack.   The guard asks the guest if he likes Star Wars.  The guest says yes.

I usually try and gauge if someone is even going to be receptive to me saying anything, and if so, look for an opening.     True, but I booked our first big WDW trip back in 2000 - way before I ever k

Hey now! Watch it! That was me. After the last time I tried to do the Beers Around the World Crawl. :cheers:

True, but you don't probably drag your family halfway across the country for a couple of weeks and drop 10k on a trip to Six Flags either.

Personally I can't imagine booking that substantial a trip without knowing what I was getting into.

Actually the first time we went to universal studios I researched our trip. I knew about what to see and do. Checked out in property and off property hotels. I planned and thought I had it figured out.

I booked the Doubletree right outside the gate and bought our tickets online thru Universal.

But when we got there I found out that they offer a "FP" for some attractions but you had to pay extra for it.

Try to plan a trip to Disney as someone who's never been there. Pretend you don't know all the ins and outs of Disneyworld.

Or what of you and the family came to Disney when "The kids were young" 5 years ago and remembers the old FP system. So why would he "plan". He knows what to expect.

Before all this FP+ crap I never planned. I may have made a rezzie for the Biergarten but that's about it. Most people don't make spreadsheets for their vacations. I know it's hard to believe. But we don't.

Again us fiends are the exception not the rule.

After BK at Whispering Canyon one morning, we decided to return by boat instead of walking back to the fort.  As we all got off the boat & passed by that little playground across from the golf cart parking, there was a family with a young son who just would not get off those bars and go to the boat to go to MK. Each time one of the parents grabbed the kid he'd go into a temper tantrum.  We all kinda just stopped & watched the "show" for a moment.  As we moved on, I heard the man behind us tell his daughters, "If either of you do that to me, I'll kill you."  David

I found on our last trip that I was turning into that "helpfull" person. If someone is try to figure out how to get someplace or when something is happening I will help if I can. But sometimes I just sit back and shake my head while people do some of the dumbest things.

I usually try and gauge if someone is even going to be receptive to me saying anything, and if so, look for an opening.

Try to plan a trip to Disney as someone who's never been there. Pretend you don't know all the ins and outs of Disneyworld.

Again us fiends are the exception not the rule.

True, but I booked our first big WDW trip back in 2000 - way before I ever knew about message boards.  First thing I did was buy a Birnbaum book so that I had something of a clue. Actually I bought them for our next few trips until I stumbled upon the wonder that is Disney fan sites.  8)

These days the information isn't hard to find out there if you take a little time to look.  And I will say that in my completely unscientific survey, it seems the number of people showing up completely unaware does seem to be less all the time.  But that may also be a function of the fact that most people don't sneeze these days without Googling the best tissue. 

Disney has also stepped up their marketing efforts a ton in recent years.  Given what they send out after you book (and have been the past year or so) unless you don't open your mail, if you're staying on property at least, it would be really hard these days to show up completely clueless.

I can understand the "previous expectations" thing more.  At least there you *had* some baseline for your expectations.

The funny thing is that I've become very much a "wing it when we get there" type of person.  But that doesn't mean I'm not going to arm myself with as much info as possible before I leave the house.

We're bringing a big group this summer and they're all expecting me to make their visit magical...and I will!! I don't use a spreadsheet, but I do have a yellow legal tablet and "My Disney Experience." I always relied on printed guides in the past, and I still pull them out from time to time but I also use all the forums. It's sad to see families wandering around aimlessly with no plan or direction. It costs too much not to do a little research.

And just an F.Y.I. If you make more than two reservations at the same time (I made three), they make it very difficult for you to make dinner reservations.

It's sad to see families wandering around aimlessly with no plan or direction. It costs too much not to do a little research.

Me too. Those poor people spent all that money to come to the world only to find out that it's run differently than any other park.

It reminds me of the first time I went. I didn't know you were suppose to plan. I looked up the rides and what shows were available. Silly me. For not knowing my first time that I was suppose to plan out every meal. I only wish I would have known than what I know now. (Said in my best snarky voice).

Over heard in May 2012, Animal Kingdom, 1PM, "Dad we're too hot, don't you care about us?" Dad - "I just spent $10,000 to bring you to Disney World for more than a  week, of course I care about you!"

Yes, I was the Dad. I made them go back to the Fort and take a nap. Three hours later we were back at the Magic Kingdom.  :lol:

Over heard in May 2012, Animal Kingdom, 1PM, "Dad we're too hot, don't you care about us?" Dad - "I just spent $10,000 to bring you to Disney World for more than a  week, of course I care about you!"

Yes, I was the Dad. I made them go back to the Fort and take a nap. Three hours later we were back at the Magic Kingdom.  :lol:

Smart Dad!  Good way to use the Fort!

We're bringing a big group this summer and they're all expecting me to make their visit magical...and I will!! I don't use a spreadsheet, but I do have a yellow legal tablet and "My Disney Experience." I always relied on printed guides in the past, and I still pull them out from time to time but I also use all the forums. It's sad to see families wandering around aimlessly with no plan or direction. It costs too much not to do a little research.

And just an F.Y.I. If you make more than two reservations at the same time (I made three), they make it very difficult for you to make dinner reservations.

The best planning forum I have found is www.easywdw.com.

"Love" the people who stand near you for ten minutes in the Fort bus stops then have to ask the bus driver if that bus will get them where they want to go.  Those big detailed maps are such a nice decoration...

"Love" the people who stand near you for ten minutes in the Fort bus stops then have to ask the bus driver if that bus will get them where they want to go.  Those big detailed maps are such a nice decoration...

Thank you for reminding me of those times my last trip when I was actually able to help people find the right bus at the Fort.  I felt like such an expert!   :rofl:

The TCD gang popped over to WDW for a day trip on Saturday, January 17.  It was a beautiful day, and it's MLK weekend, so that meant big crowds.  With a little effort and some advanced FP+ skills, we had FP+'s for the Mine Train.  We were loaded right behind a very excited family who had never ridden it before. 

At the end of the ride, one of the kids said to the mom:   "we waited 90 minutes in line for that?"

Ouch.  The Mine Train is a fine with a FP+, but definitely not worth a 90 minute wait.

TCD

We ran in to a security guard who is am amateur comedian at the MK bag check.  The guest in front of us had a Star Wars backpack.

The guard asks the guest if he likes Star Wars.  The guest says yes.  The guard asks the guest:  "What's the temperature inside a Tauntaun?

The guest says he doesn't know.

The guard says "lukewarm."

I had never heard that joke before.  Nor have I ever heard a security guard tell a joke.  That was a good one.

TCD

The TCD gang popped over to WDW for a day trip on Saturday, January 17.  It was a beautiful day, and it's MLK weekend, so that meant big crowds.  With a little effort and some advanced FP+ skills, we had FP+'s for the Mine Train.  We were loaded right behind a very excited family who had never ridden it before. 

At the end of the ride, one of the kids said to the mom:   "we waited 90 minutes in line for that?"

Ouch.  The Mine Train is a fine with a FP+, but definitely not worth a 90 minute wait.

TCD

I can't think of any attraction worth a 90 min. wait. Living close by and having APs I have to really want to ride something to wait even 30 mins.  Been there too many times seeing almost every ride at one time or another being a walk on. But I guess when we move back to Tennessee I will have to learn to tolerate longer lines.  

I wish I could remember more of the comments we have heard.  I here the same comment as TCD a lot at  RNR.  It's a great ride but at less than 90 seconds for the actual ride a lot of guess get off and say we waited all that time for that.  

I have been asked where to catch a bus to Universal.  

I know everybody has probably heard while being in one of the other Disney Parks people saying we are going to Disney World tomorrow meaning MK.  

• 3 weeks later...

Another installment in the popular, and often hilarious series...

http://www.themainstreetmouse.com/2015/02/08/funny-things-overheard-while-standing-in-line-at-disney-volume-4/

Some highlights...

“You’be been bugging me all week. I’m ready to get on a plane and head back home, but then you’d just complain for 18 hours straight there too.” A Grandma saying this to her Grandchild blowing a fit over not getting yet another souvenir at Mouse Gear. Poor Granny reached her breaking point!

“I heard that Disney is buying out Universal, and there will be a long train ride from the Magic Kingdom over to the Wizzarding World of Harry Potter. I can’t wait for that!” Keep waiting, not happening.

And quite appropriate right now...

“The Sorcerer’s Hat is being taken down because too many people protested it being there, so Disney finally gave in.” Oh man, you hear all KINDS of things near the hat deconstruction sight! Too many to name!

This one was in the comments on their FB page...

Shannon Kauffman When we went two weeks ago, I overheard a group of older people talking to each other. The one said to the others: 'Today must be kids' day, there are so many of them here. Ugh!'
Like · Reply · 9 · 8 hrs

More fun ones from the FB comments...

https://www.facebook.com/themainstreetmouse?fref=nf

Jill Yarnot Motz Heard walking from the Contemporary to MK: "We don't bring our kids on Disney trips anymore. Fastest way to screw up your vacation? Bring the kids!"

Keri Bridgman I heard a non Disney tour guide tell his group in Disneyland "over there is the house they used in the haunted mansion movie. they brought it here after using it in the movie and turned it into a ride."

personally, I love it both ways.  I love seeing the excitement and happiness on my kids' faces at WDW.  And I love the excitement and happiness I feel when I am there, with or without them.  But when with them, i feel responsible.  Without them, I feel carefree!