• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up arrow!   Oliver sucked. Bean sucks. Goober sucked. Shemp sucked. Olivia sucked. Lawrence sucked. Anna sucks.

Simply put, Bean is an opportunist.  He appeared on the scene long after the Muppets became wildly successful.  In my mind, any Muppet introduced after the original run of the Muppet Show is not a rea

I think the gate controversy clearly necessitates a TCD trip to the Fort just to confirm exactly what the proper answer is.  Since asking just one CM will not give a reliable answer, and having TCD sp

The strange part, though, is that there is no reason for that guy to have been there and heading in to the Emporium like that. Those CM's are supposed to stay backstage.

I would say that he was a fur character.  The girls said he was "Goofy Height."  But, there was no good reason for the guy to be there, so that part is a mystery.

TCD

I have no idea how costuming works, but perhaps he had a costume malfunction at one of the monorail resorts, and the easiest way to get it fixed/replaced was to bag it up, and head to a utilidor entrance in the Emporium.

I have actually seen those black bags several times being carried through a park, and one time several of those black bags and people were riding with me on the raft to Tom Sawyers Island at Disneyland (back in 2008). They actually did a show on the island back then.

I have no idea how costuming works, but perhaps he had a costume malfunction at one of the monorail resorts, and the easiest way to get it fixed/replaced was to bag it up, and head to a utilidor entrance in the Emporium.

I have actually seen those black bags several times being carried through a park, and one time several of those black bags and people were riding with me on the raft to Tom Sawyers Island at Disneyland (back in 2008). They actually did a show on the island back then.

Yup- it had to be some kind of a problem or malfunction.  Normally, there would be no reason for a CM to be "on stage" with one of those bags in the MK.  I've seen one before in DHS, but they don't have utilidors there.

TCD

Growing Pains?

Ding! Ding! Ding!

When having little Chrissie Seaver didn't pull in enough folks, they added a homeless teenager with a heart of gold, but even he couldn't keep that show on the air. I think he was in a few movies after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wondering if your girls could do another cameo (remember I'm still waiting on the one about the bracelets) and answer this question. Do the character CMs hang out among themselves? Are they like a clique? I assume college program kids can't be characters, right?

When I worked at Six Flags "entertainment" was the biggest clique of all. Not in a bad way, but they kept to themselves. I guess something about wearing the same sweaty costume bonds you :)

I think the llama gig is the only one I like of Mr. Spade.

I don't even think Mrs. TCD liked him in that role.  I think he's funny, but I'm a fan of inappropriate humor.

Just wondering if your girls could do another cameo (remember I'm still waiting on the one about the bracelets) and answer this question.  Do the character CMs hang out among themselves?  Are they like a clique?  I assume college program kids can't be characters, right?  

I'm sorry, but I don't remember what you wanted to know about the bracelets. Please remind me.

Yes, there are CM cliques.  Twin #1, who worked in the MK, said the MK cafeteria down in the utilidors is like high school, and only certain types are allowed at each table.

CP kids can be characters.  Twin #2's neighbor was a "friend" of Merida's.  Which is really funny, because if you saw her walking around in normal street clothes you would never guess that.  Toward the end of her program, Twin #2 ended up with a new roommate who was a "friend" of some of the characters who worked at Chef Mickey's, including the big guy himself.

With the adding of characters to help shows progress, how bout shows that lost a character? The most famous character gone missing has to be Chuck the older brother from "Happy Days".

Best Regards,

Norm

Chuck.  Whatever happened to him?

Speaking of disappearing characters, what about the young girl who appears in the first scene of the Carousel of Progress, but then is never seen or even mentioned again?

When I worked at Six Flags "entertainment" was the biggest clique of all. Not in a bad way, but they kept to themselves. I guess something about wearing the same sweaty costume bonds you :)

I think it's natural behavior for kids that age- they start in middle school, and are well into their 20's before they realize they can hang out with anyone they want.

TCD

CP kids can be characters.  Twin #2's neighbor was a "friend" of Merida's.  Which is really funny, because if you saw her walking around in normal street clothes you would never guess that.  Toward the end of her program, Twin #2 ended up with a new roommate who was a "friend" of some of the characters who worked at Chef Mickey's, including the big guy himself.

This is probably a stupid question so bear with me here.  What is meant by a "friend" of Merida or any character?  I've seen it mentioned a few times and am confused...

This is probably a stupid question so bear with me here.  What is meant by a "friend" of Merida or any character?  I've seen it mentioned a few times and am confused...

One of the things that CM's are taught is a concept called "Character Integrity."  When a CM gets a role where he or she is going to be portraying a character, he or she isn't supposed to say "I'm Merida."  Instead, they're supposed to say that they are a "friend" of Merida.  Everyone knows what they're talking about, and character integrity is maintained.  The CM is not Merida.  Merida is Merida.

Joe Dirt is a good (bad) David Spade inappropriate humor movie, we used to quote that move all the time at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FpHIIE9Lois

There's too many funny scenes in that movie so I just posted the trailer. lol

WBI

That movie is hilarious, but that's definitely on the forbidden list at our house.

Another of my favorites is Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star.  I howled at that movie.  Mrs. TCD was appalled.

TCD

Sorry to interrupt the many important topics being discussed here, but I have some more strange TR photos to share.  Although this batch isn't all that strange.

We left off with the end of the parade.

Now we're heading to cash in our first FP+'s for the day.

This is where I will say something nice about FP+.  Here we were on a kind of the spur of the moment trip on the Saturday before Easter.  With just a little bit of effort, I had been able to go on-line starting on Thursday, and was able to line up 5 FP+ reservations for each of us.  For the good rides too.  Which allowed us to arrive in the afternoon and know that we would be able to skip the lines on 4 busy rides and have a reserved place to watch the fireworks later.  In the old days, if we showed up and wanted to ride things after the 3 pm parade, we would have been out of luck.  So, in a situation like this, FP+ is good.  Very good, actually.

We were heading to the Mine Train, and decided to walk right through the castle to get there.  While the hub construction has been completed in the areas further away from the castle, it's still nowhere near complete up closer.  Here we see two tall rectangular scrims with tree camouflage on them on either side of the front of the castle.  These have gone up just recently:

4%204%2015%20116_zpsuvj28lgw.jpg

Those scrims are hiding something that is being built in those spots.  From the concept art, we know that there are going to be two new castle towers built in those spots.  Today, it looks like there is something poking out of the top:

4%204%2015%20117_zps4rgeipld.jpg

This shot was taken from up on the castle, looking toward the old Rose Garden.  As you can see, it's all dug up- and there is some kind of a green pole sticking out of the top of that rectangular scrim:

4%204%2015%20118_zpsmp4znj9o.jpg

As I said, our first FP+ reservation was for the Mine Train. What I didn't mention is that I could only get two FP+'s for this time slot, no matter how hard I tried.  That's the way it goes when you are booking at the last minute.  Still, I was able to get two groups of two.  The twins would get to ride first, and I would ride with one of them later.  One of them would get to ride twice. I left it to them to figure out who.

While the twins rode, I stopped by Friar's Nook and got us some cold drinks. I think most reading this know that you can get a large cup of ice water for free just by asking at any quick serve location.  With the menu they're currently serving at the Friar's Nook, you can usually walk right up to one of the ordering windows and get an ice water right away.  I sometimes feel guilty asking for three free waters and not buying anything, so today I got a frozen lemonade and two waters, and found a spot in the shade to wait the few minutes it would take the girls to ride.  I got myself an nice trash can table and a stool to sit on, and I was good to go:

4%204%2015%20119_zpswdicbygd.jpg

Here's a neat little story- do you see that custodial CM there on the right of that last photo?  I didn't intend to take her photo, but right after I snapped that photo, she came up and checked to see if the trash can I was using as my table needed to be emptied.  She saw my Fort Wilderness t-shirt, and asked if I was camping there.  I told her not on this trip, but that I've been before.  She then shared with me that she had been a custodial CM there for a long time on the "third shift," but had to quit for a while, and when she came back to Disney, she wasn't able to get her spot back, and was on the waiting list to get back there.  She said the same thing that I've heard from many other CM's-the Fort is a great place to work, and there is very little employee turnover there.  Her duties on the "third shift" were mainly cleaning the Comfort Stations overnight.  She said it was the best job she'd ever had and she really hoped to be back there soon.  Just goes to show you that you never know what you're going to hear when you strike up a conversation with a Cast Member.

Oh, and look at this- there was a mob of folks trying to get drinks and ice cream from Storybook Treats:

4%204%2015%20120_zpslfnxlesk.jpg

While right next door, at Friar's Nook, it was a ghost town:

4%204%2015%20121_zpswvrmo65a.jpg

I guess no one was feeling like macaroni and cheese with pot roast in a cup on this warm afternoon.

The girls were soon back, and we moved on to Tomorrowland, where we had 3 FP+'s for Space Mountain which would soon be good.

We had some time to kill, which meant we could ride the People Mover.  If you think we ride that a lot, you're right.  After being to Disneyland and seeing the sad remnants of their no longer operational Peoplemover, we have a new appreciation for the Peoplemover here.  It's fun to be up high and circle around Tomorrowland.  You can see all kinds of things along the way.

Here we are looking at the Tomorrowland bridge and the sad dug up remains of the Rose Garden:

4%204%2015%20124_zpst01wahuk.jpg

The winding path that used to be in that area is gone.  As is a big tree that we would often sit under to watch the fireworks- you can see those two tall rectangular scrims there on the right:

4%204%2015%20125_zpsbkuedwi2.jpg

That big tree used to be in the area you see here that is all bare dirt now.  That tree had probably been in that spot since the park opened.  It's gone now:

4%204%2015%20126_zpscfxtnas0.jpg

Now we're passing by the Hashtag Incredibles Dance Party.  They are on a rare break-it seems like that thing is going constantly lately:

4%204%2015%20127_zpsl29mun8s.jpg

For a while, we raced the train side by side.  The train won:

4%204%2015%20128_zps2sh9v1ky.jpg

Here's the Tomorrowland bridge again:

4%204%2015%20130_zpso2pvuqzc.jpg

And the big bare spot that used to be the Rose Garden:

4%204%2015%20132_zpsh4oksdea.jpg

Here's something you may or may not know.  Look at that little opening there in the wall near the Buzz meet and greet-do you see the cars back there.  There's a big parking lot right on the other side of that wall.  On super busy days, they open up that door you see on the right, and use this area as an emergency exit and entrance.  We were forced to travel through that parking lot and through that door after the 4th of July fireworks last year:

4%204%2015%20133_zpsxjtlnq2r.jpg

Someone needs to clean off the roof of this gift shop:

4%204%2015%20134_zpstvahe917.jpg

There's the good old Carousel of Progress.  We all were a bit warm, and the girls agreed with my suggestion that we could use a nice air conditioned break in there next:

4%204%2015%20136_zpsg9dez3yl.jpg

We were about half way back and toward the center of our section of the theater. I would like to get closer and get a better photo of this bulletin board in the final scene- I'll bet there are some funny things on there:

4%204%2015%20143_zpstshstyte.jpg

In case you're wondering, yes, the dad burned the stupid turkey again.  That guy never learns.

Next up, we skipped a 60 minute stand-by line and rode Space.  The stand-by line was solid people all the way from the beginning of the entrance up to the control tower inside.  That was probably even more than a 60 minute wait.  Not for us:

4%204%2015%20147_zpscdgjjvvf.jpg

Our next FP's were for the Haunted Mansion, and then it would be Mine Train again.

The twins suggested that we move the Haunted Mansion FP+ time, and take a field trip over to the Polynesian Village Resort to see the new Trader Sam's Grog Grotto and get an early dinner at Captain Cook's.

That was an excellent idea, and I agreed.

I took this photo at 5:28 pm on Saturday April 4- it really wasn't too crowded considering it was the day before Easter:

4%204%2015%20149_zpsit6vdwyh.jpg

I snapped this photo at 5:36- we were already on the resort monorail and on our way:

4%204%2015%20150_zps8aizlny0.jpg

This was supposed to be a cool photo showing a monorail, boat on the water bridge, and bus driving under the water bridge, but , as they say, timing is everything , and I blew it:

4%204%2015%20152_zpsbkyf5a1l.jpg

The Contemporary was really busy, and our car filled up with a family traveling to the Transportation and Ticket Center to catch the Epcot monorail.  As we approached the TTC, we got a good view of the new bungalows there, and a look at how close they are to the ferry boats, which probably make a disturbing amount of noise:

4%204%2015%20153_zpsx761fhmg.jpg

When we stopped at the TTC, the family piled out.  But, a kid who was about 8 or 9 realized that he had left his MB in the room, and that he wouldn't be able to get in to Epcot with the family.  So, a not-so-happy dad stayed on the monorail with him for a return visit to the Contemporary.  There's a bad thing about Magic Bands.  I'm glad they didn't have them when my kids were little.  Back in the day, I was in charge of all the tickets, and I carried them. The kids would use them to get in the parks, but they would go right back in my pocket after that.  That really stunk for that kid and dad that they had to go all the way back to the hotel and meet up with the rest of the family later.

Even with all of that, we were soon at the Polynesian.  That was painless.

This was our first time seeing the statue on top of the little fountain in the lobby:

4%204%2015%20155_zpsjmb8saj2.jpg

I hate to admit it, but I don't hate the new lobby like I thought I would.

I really like these light fixtures:

4%204%2015%20157_zpsdygqipqv.jpg

I guess they know what they're doing after all. I liked the big giant waterfall that used to be here in the lobby.  But, the open space is really nice.

Next, we found the door to Trader Sam's Grog Grotto and found out that there was allegedly a three hour wait to get in.  The helpful CM at the door told us we could go around back and enjoy the Trader Sam's Tiki Terrace, so that's what we did.  This new area back here is kind of nice:

4%204%2015%20159_zpsbia5nhr5.jpg

There was a fellow making like Don Ho back here:

4%204%2015%20160_zpseyogufhz.jpg

And he was very good.  it was very pleasant siting back here. And, I think they're not quite done. Do you see those bushes over there to the right in that last photo?  They're hiding what looks like it will ultimately be a waterfall feature.

A server brought us menus, and told us the menu here was the same as they serve inside:

4%204%2015%20161_zpshjp2fjaa.jpg

It's never a good thing when they don't include prices on the menu.

They have some limited food items to order out here too:

4%204%2015%20164_zps7vxcmvbf.jpg

According to our server, the drink called the Spikey Pineapple is only served outside on the Tiki Terrace, and it's made with Dole Whip and rum.  So, I had to order one of those:

4%204%2015%20165_zpstbkogrtv.jpg

Since we had a nice place to wait, I went back inside and got on the waiting list for the Grog Grotto.  We decided to have a drink and some appetizers out here.  Then go in to Captain Cook's and have some dinner. Then, maybe, we could get inside the Grog Grotto.

Here's our pager:

4%204%2015%20166_zpsoutnxrd9.jpg

Up next, I'll have some food and drink photos.

TCD

Oh goodie... pood forn!

As I've said already, if I'm not at the Fort, you know where to find me.  As it is I think we ate at the Poly 4-5 times our last trip, and now we have yummy new things to try.  8)

Silly as it sounds, I could ride the People Mover over and over.

I've been trying for ages to get a good look at what's on the bulletin board at COP but we always seem to get the CM that is serious about "no photography of any kind."

Oh and this comment... this is a whole new level of strange for this TR

in a situation like this, FP+ is good.  Very good, actually.

We were heading to the Mine Train, and decided to walk right through the castle to get there.  While the hub construction has been completed in the areas further away from the castle, it's still nowhere near complete up closer.  Here we see two tall rectangular scrims with tree camouflage on them on either side of the front of the castle.  These have gone up just recently:

4%204%2015%20116_zpsuvj28lgw.jpg

Those scrims are hiding something that is being built in those spots.  From the concept art, we know that there are going to be two new castle towers built in those spots.  Today, it looks like there is something poking out of the top:

I have some pictures of what the towers actually look like wrapped their green pre-fiberglass..... I'll have several pics of randomness over my work travels the last few months, and will post them with that report.

Here's something you may or may not know.  Look at that little opening there in the wall near the Buzz meet and greet-do you see the cars back there.  There's a big parking lot right on the other side of that wall.  On super busy days, they open up that door you see on the right, and use this area as an emergency exit and entrance.  We were forced to travel through that parking lot and through that door after the 4th of July fireworks last year:

Even more obscure, did any of you know that instead of that parking lot and a backstage area, that area behind the door used to be a theater. I've been to a show during MVMCP in that theater, but never saw it used for anything else before it was torn down.

4%204%2015%20133_zpsxjtlnq2r.jpg

We were about half way back and toward the center of our section of the theater. I would like to get closer and get a better photo of this bulletin board in the final scene- I'll bet there are some funny things on there:

One of the stickies on that board says "Marty called, wants changes" referring to Marty Sklar

4%204%2015%20143_zpstshstyte.jpg

TCD

Oh goodie... pood forn!

As I've said already, if I'm not at the Fort, you know where to find me.  As it is I think we ate at the Poly 4-5 times our last trip, and now we have yummy new things to try.  B)

Silly as it sounds, I could ride the People Mover over and over.

I've been trying for ages to get a good look at what's on the bulletin board at COP but we always seem to get the CM that is serious about "no photography of any kind."

Oh and this comment... this is a whole new level of strange for this TR

It seems like the Polynesian Village Resort is the home away from home for a lot of Fiends. With Trader Sam's there, it's even more of a destination.

I have some pictures of what the towers actually look like wrapped their green pre-fiberglass..... I'll have several pics of randomness over my work travels the last few months, and will post them with that report.

Twin #1 and I saw those green towers in the old STOLport area. Are they behind those scrims now?

Even more obscure, did any of you know that instead of that parking lot and a backstage area, that area behind the door used to be a theater. I've been to a show during MVMCP in that theater, but never saw it used for anything else before it was torn down.

I remember the Tomorrowland theater, but I thought it was to the side of the area depicted in my photo. I remember looking at some aerial photos of the area when it was removed- I will need to find those and look again.

One of the stickies on that board says "Marty called, wants changes" referring to Marty Sklar

Hey, you're right!

carousel-of-progress-2011-02-19-9877-550

Photo credit for that photo goes to Inside the Magic- that photo and more COP secrets are in this article: http://www.insidethemagic.net/2014/12/d-tales-8-carousel-of-progress-hides-disney-history-in-plain-sight-with-amazing-details-and-tributes/

It makes me sad to see the Rose Garden dug up.  That used to be one of my favorite spots in the MK.

Kudos on all the FP+!

Looking forward to the pood forn.

Yeah, I'm going to miss the Rose Garden too.  But, now there's room for all the iPad photographers and the dads who need to put their kids on their shoulders to see the fireworks.

Am o a mean Mommy? I told my kids that once they put their Magic Bands on, they weren't allowed to take them off. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mean? Maybe.

But smart definitely.

No, you're a smart Mommy!

Agreed.

But a little mean, too. Sometimes you have to be.

TCD

Regarding post #155, your peaceful morning at the fort. I felt like you were following me, or I was following you. If you recall that is the morning I passed you on the porch of the Trails end. This is one my favorite times of the day and I really enjoy visiting all the places at the fort while there is so little activity. This TR reminded me of so many things that morning (I am not the picture taker, that is DW's job). I also stopped to watch the crew refill the sand in the GC parking area, witnessed the one legged bird on the railing, and felt like a non-fiend when I attempted to go into the Trading Post before 8am.

Thanks for the pictures and the reminder that early morning is, IMO, the best time at the Fort.