So a Jersey guy went to college in RI?  How did that go?  Strange, right?

Yeah, that is strange.

Glad you finally made it here.

TCD

Far enough away, but close enough to get home, I also have relatives in Springfield, MA that I could go visit. I just had to put up with people from New York. LOL

Best Regards,

Norm

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up arrow!   Oliver sucked. Bean sucks. Goober sucked. Shemp sucked. Olivia sucked. Lawrence sucked. Anna sucks.

Simply put, Bean is an opportunist.  He appeared on the scene long after the Muppets became wildly successful.  In my mind, any Muppet introduced after the original run of the Muppet Show is not a rea

I think the gate controversy clearly necessitates a TCD trip to the Fort just to confirm exactly what the proper answer is.  Since asking just one CM will not give a reliable answer, and having TCD sp

I would give you 5 up arrows for this if I could.

TCD - the guy on the left is Baldrick. 

4747.jpg

The guy on the right is Black Adder.

(Classic British sitcom - I have the entire series on DVD.)

Wow. There's an entire series that I have never heard of.

I am not a fan of British humor.

Based on my experience, there's no such thing.

Even stranger that I am acquainted with someone who doesn't know Blackadder.   ;)

Yeah, that's strange.

This is sure a strange trip report.

Remove double post.

The ghost of KFK must be voicing her displeasure.

Far enough away, but close enough to get home, I also have relatives in Springfield, MA that I could go visit. I just had to put up with people from New York. LOL

Best Regards,

Norm

Doesn't sound like fun to me.

I left Jersey to go to college in Florida.

And never went back.

I win.

TCD

Let's move on with this strange trip report.

There is just a little strangeness in this update.

We arrived at Epcot, and headed to meet Twin #1 at Ice Station Cool.  It was a warm afternoon, and some free strange Coke products sounded like just the thing we needed.

Seeing people take pictures with iPads used to be strange, but now everyone does it.  Even this old dude here:

3%2014%2015%20042_zpsay5kn1ov.jpg

We all like the Chip and Dale topiaries they've got on display for this year's Flower and Garden Festival.  And that Big Goofy tangled in the hose is good too:

3%2014%2015%20043_zps1nlsrfdd.jpg

Look at these beautiful yellow trees.  Did you know that those trees are right there in the main entry area of the World Showcase?  They only bloom for a short time each year, and we were here to see them in their prime time:

3%2014%2015%20044_zps8r6kpvr7.jpg

We found Twin #1 and enjoyed the cool area and strangely sticky floor in Ice Station Cool.

Then we headed over to Mouse Gears.  The twins started collecting Alex and Ani bracelets during their time as CP's, and a new Cinderella one had just been released the day before.  They each needed one.

We went there and struck out.

All sold out, we were told.

Dang.

But the CM gave us a tip.  She said they also sold them at the American Adventure store.  Who knew?  That meant we needed to go.

But first, we needed to see the Cars playground.  Here's a couple of shots of it:

3%2014%2015%20045_zpsixctpwer.jpg

3%2014%2015%20046_zpsrehjrz0u.jpg

Then we walked the path toward the central Epcot walkway.  I don't remember them having a cactus garden here before, but they do now:

3%2014%2015%20047_zpswfidr7ff.jpg

3%2014%2015%20048_zpsqrj49t8g.jpg

I have always loved the big flower beds they plant along the little ponds between Future World and the World Showcase:

3%2014%2015%20049_zpsjkxkeagf.jpg

I also like those floating flowers they have out there too:

3%2014%2015%20050_zpso1cdvfna.jpg

When we got to the central walkway, I saw the butterfly garden, and remembered that we hadn't been in there yet this year-so we needed to go.

It has a new name and sponsor this year:

3%2014%2015%20051_zpswswymsfe.jpg

In years past, there have been topiaries on display in the butterfly garden, but there are none this year.  And not very many butterflies either:

3%2014%2015%20052_zpscyd9rmhe.jpg

But, there is a stand out back where they are passing out FREE squeeze bottles of that Go Go Squeeze applesauce:

3%2014%2015%20053_zpsl8gsqfwn.jpg

It's cold and it's free.  Get some.

From here, we headed in to the World Showcase.  The flower beds along the path here are nice too:

3%2014%2015%20054_zps9okzt1tt.jpg

We found a longish line at the Pineapple Promenade, but we had to wait on it for some violet lemonades.  At least the view from the line is scenic:

3%2014%2015%20055_zpsgvxw5k15.jpg

When you've been in line long enough for two monorails to pass, then you've been in line too long:

3%2014%2015%20056_zpsalp9lr5n.jpg

We got the violet lemonades, and then headed out toward the America Adventure.

We stopped at the China food booth, and tried one of these Kung Pao Chicken Steam buns:

3%2014%2015%20058_zpsk3eso29y.jpg

Those are good.  I recommend them.

I haven't had the shrimp and grits yet this year, and wanted to get some as we passed by that booth, but it was packed and the line was in the sun.  We decided to save that for another day:

3%2014%2015%20059_zpsuotb7ryj.jpg

Hey-look who's going to be performing here today.  Pablo Cruise!  I really wanted to hang around to see what these old hippies look like now, but the girls had never heard of them, and wanted none of that:

3%2014%2015%20060_zpspici8rqb.jpg

It was 85 degrees out that day, and we were hot when we got to America.  We cooled off a bit in the gift shop, and the girls found their bracelets!  So, that was good.

This is an artsy photo Twin #1 took of her bracelet later when we got to the MK.  Do you see what she did there?:

aa%20bracelet_zps3eakgv8z.jpg

After the gift shop, we hit up the BBQ booth.  It's one of my favorites.  We had already made it here the week before, and tried a new item they're serving this year called burnt ends hash.  This is what that item looked like the week before:

3%208%2015%20060_zpsaib6vmbh.jpg

So here's the strange thing.  This is the same dish that was served to us on this day, just one week later:

3%2014%2015%20061_zpsxle5r8az.jpg

Strange.

I liked it the first time, but I liked it even more the second.

We also got a pulled pork slider here.  They call it a slider, but it's pretty close to a full sized sandwich:

3%2014%2015%20063_zpsc86o0sr5.jpg

Last year, the service at this booth was terrible.  They couldn't prepare the orders fast enough to keep up with the demand, and that led to really long waits for the food. This year, they have solved that, but I think it's come at the expense of everything being prepared backstage and wheeled out on racks to the booth.  Like this:

3%2014%2015%20065_zps0si4hhtp.jpg

Hey-here's a tip for those of you with kids.  The CM's back here next to the American Adventure gift shop were passing out free crafts for kids to do.  They had a big butterfly and a big bumblebee that kids could color with markers and take with them:

3%2014%2015%20066_zpscvsuzkm1.jpg

After our walk here, we were still pretty hot, and the sun was really beating down.  I knew just what we needed.  A little detour into the American Adventure.

The Voices of Liberty are always enjoyable, even more so on a hot day with the cool AC blasting:

3%2014%2015%20068_zpsoyq8abve.jpg

We then stayed for the American Adventure show.  It's pretty majestic,  But, my experience was marred by the guy next to me who fell dead asleep and was snoring loudly.

Since I was trying to prove a point about the recent proliferation of selfie sticks in the parks, I took this photo- that guy in the red shirt in the back center of the photo has a selfie stick:

3%2014%2015%20069_zpshdcm8joj.jpg

Since it was a hot day, I was thinking about one of those booze lollipops from France, but is was really crowded around the France booth:

3%2014%2015%20070_zpsskdgpt23.jpg

3%2014%2015%20071_zpsw7xba6qg.jpg

From here, we decided it was time to split.  We need to eat dinner somewhere, and then go to the MK, so the plan was hatched to go to one of the resorts, eat there, and then head to the MK.  We discussed this, and settled on Port Orleans Riverside, because it was close, and because they had something we all liked there.

We passed by farmer Mickey and Minnie on the way out- they're new this year:

3%2014%2015%20072_zpsdu28ooom.jpg

And these big butterfly topiaries on the backside of the big golf ball are new too:

3%2014%2015%20073_zpssoeif4di.jpg

Well, we're not quite out of Epcot, but I need to stop here, as we are at the photo limit.

We will finish up with Epcot, and move on to some MK strangeness in the next update.

TCD

The burnt ends hash look nothing alike besides the paper dish. The name also makes me think of a hippie.

Yes, isn't that strange how different those two servings of the same item were- and just a week apart?

I never thought about hippies when I heard of burnt ends.  But now I will.  Thanks.

Love the new topiaries.

The burnt ends looked good.

Booze pops?

I don't remember those from your prior reporting.

Do they have a Cold Snap beer one?

Dude-

Here's the DL on the booze lollipops from an earlier TCD TR:

On the way out of the International Gateway, we stopped by the France booth, and I got a booze lollipop:

3%208%2015%20062_zpstm37mmwk.jpg

The photos I have seen of these things, including mine, don't do a good job showing the size of the push pop.  They are much bigger than the push pops used for the beet lollipops a couple of years ago.   The booze lollipop is a hit- very tasty- but way overpriced.

Aaron, how have you missed the booze pops? They replaced the beet pops. And apparently are delicious.

They are delicious.  I want to have another one before the festival ends.

The booths look like they're getting more traffic.

Snoring sucks.

That was a Saturday afternoon, and yes, the booths were busy.  Not Food and Wine busy, but busier than I would have liked.

I guess that's a good thing though.  They need to stay busy and make them money, or else they'll be gone.

I am not sure. Maybe I blocked it out since I can't have them?

Lucky for you that I saved my plastic apparatus from the booze lollipop. I had the bright idea that I could make these myself at home. Why not?

So, the next time you're at WDW let me know, and I'll bring you one.

TCD

The burnt ends hash look nothing alike besides the paper dish. The name also makes me think of a hippie.

Ha. That didn't even enter my mind although there might have been a time ..... Oh well let's leave it at that.

The second week looks more appetizing to me and appears to fit the name better.

Funny you mention the plastic apparatus of the booze pop.

Now that's strange.

I mean come on. That thing could use some repackaging.

That's all I will say. Because I'm a lady.

But I know I'm not the only one. It's the elephant in the room and no one has said anything.

But again, that's all I will say.

I agree about the American booth the burnt ends were good and the slider was big. As Disney prices go I would call them a value that taste good. And those big Yellow trees were pretty. There not yellow in November.

Now that's strange.

But I know I'm not the only one. It's the elephant in the room and no one has said anything.

Yup, what she said.

It's a male elephant in the room :rofl:

Now that's strange.

My halo and wings prevented me from saying anything.

In late, but I am here!  Miles from Tomorrowland = strange?  Dunno.  After having a generation of kids that grew up with Ren and Stimpy, Invader Zim, Angry Beavers (who comes up with this stuff?), Beavis and Butthead?  I miss Wyle E Coyote and Bugs Bunny.

The yellow trees are tabebuias- they come in yellow, a bright pink and a lavender color. They are only pretty for 3 weeks then they lose all the flowers which look like slime on the driveways and sidewalks and then grow huge seed pods that are ugly. Then the rest of the year they are just a boring green color. I'll take a crepe myrtle over them anyday.

I went to Johnson & Wales for Hospitality Management.

Best Regards,

Norm

Roger Williams U here. Actually College, if I have to show my age. Go Hawks.

TCD - speaking of strange things, ask one of the TCD twins what's up with all the black hair elastics on the rocks at the top of Expedition Everest (or maybe you know already).

I know I'm a few pages late on asking that, but that was a question we all had after riding that last month.