Globetrotting: to Disneyland Paris and back with TCD

Those extra MB's are no good to use online to make FP+ reservations- they don't have tickets associated with them.  But they do work at the park kiosks once you're in the park.  

So they don't have to be on your account to make the FP+ at the park?  Does the FP+ at the park require you to log into your account or is it a separate system?

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is comforting to me that even though I have been gone from FF a lot, and have missed out on so much, your selfies still suck.  The familiarity of it makes me feel right at home.   Carry on.

I agree with Dave. I bet salami and cheese were on the menu. Although if she was waving that stuff around I'm sure you would have accepted. Or maybe she assumed you had already had your horse grill yo

Did you try the cinnamon rolls at that quaint little coffee shop?  

So they don't have to be on your account to make the FP+ at the park?  Does the FP+ at the park require you to log into your account or is it a separate system?

The MB's are linked to your account, but they don't have to be to use in the parks.  There is no logging in at the kiosks- you just scan each band you want to use.  Now here's something I didn't mention- once those FP+'s are created, they show up on your MDE account, and you can change them just like any other FP+.  I never mess with that, as it's a pain to log on to MDE from the parks, but it is something that you can do if you want.

TCD

It's funny how that works psychologically...or at least according to my psychology. I agree that everything doesn't have to be be castles and fairy tales. In fact, the attractions I like most are the ones that aren't castles and fairy tales. When an attraction is made rustic, rundown, and "gritty" it's OK for something from a different time period. Like BTMRR. I love how everything is rusty, faded, and sort of broken down. But build an attraction based on something contemporary and make it gritty and broken down and it's just an eyesore, to me.

I understand what you're saying, and in some cases, I agree with you.  I don't like the fake carnival theming that you see in Dinoland at AK.  But, I do like Harambe Village, and also the area around Expedition Everest as well.

http://instagram.com/theenchantedbrush

She does amazing paint jobs on shoes. No idea what they must cost, I think I heard her shoes are over $200.

Speaking of idiot parents. I took the kids out for pizza yesterday and there was a dad and his 2 kids. The girl was about 8 and was doing KARTWHEELS inside the pizza place. It wasn't crowded so she had plenty of room and the dad said nothing. She must have done them for 5 mins and only stopped because their order was ready. It was ridiculous.

Cool stuff.  And business must be good, as her IG account says she's not taking any new orders for the time being.

I am afraid none of us have to look very hard to find idiot parents.  They are everywhere.

In tokyo disneyland the people set up little plastic mats along the parade route with their many Disney objects in front of them. I saw a person with at least 50 badges(keychain stuffed toys). Duffy and shellie mae are very common.

Very interesting.

That kid across from us was definitely not Asian.  I wonder if his family traveled to Tokyo and saw this being done there?  Or maybe the kid just really likes Disney figurines, and his parents indulge him.  It wasn't really a big deal, but I could see where on a busy day, some might find it objectionable that the kid was taking up a curbside seat with his toys.

Finally caught up.  

Too much content to comment.

Carry on....

Thanks for reading.  I will carry on.

If you weren't being a slacker and lounging on the beach Sunday, you wouldn't be so far behind....

Ah ha.

The truth comes out.  It always does.

TCD

The twins won't be visiting WDW for 5 months, but what about you?  I'm gonna have severe TCD TR withdrawals if we have to go that long without any.

Well, the oldest DD will be in Miami, which is much closer to WDW than when she was in Auburn for the past two years.  As a matter of fact, WDW will be closer to her than home-so maybe there will be some family meetings there.

And, get this- Mrs. TCD said she'd be down for some low-key visits to WDW.  I know she'd be up for some visits to the Food and Wine Festival.

We will have to see, though.

I'm hoping for at least 2-3 visits to California while the twins are out there.  The oldest DD hasn't been to Disneyland.  So she has to go.  Mrs. TCD hasn't been either.  So she has to go.  And, I haven't seen any of the 60th anniversary stuff- so I need to go.

Bottom line is that there isn't going to be a 5 month lack of visits to Disney parks by me.

TCD

The MB's are linked to your account, but they don't have to be to use in the parks.  There is no logging in at the kiosks- you just scan each band you want to use.  Now here's something I didn't mention- once those FP+'s are created, they show up on your MDE account, and you can change them just like any other FP+.  I never mess with that, as it's a pain to log on to MDE from the parks, but it is something that you can do if you want.

TCD

So. If I borrow someone's old MB for my next trip. I could use that in the park? Not saying that I would, but could I?

So. If I borrow someone's old MB for my next trip. I could use that in the park? Not saying that I would, but could I?

I think so. But, all of my experiments with this hack have been with MB's that were never connected to a ticket or to a real person for that matter.  One concern might be what effect using someone else's MB would have on any tickets that person has attached to that band. 

And that reminds me of an even better hack- if that friend of yours is a passholder and makes some FP+ reservations for you on that MB, you can use those by scanning the MB at the rides, even if that person never entered the park that day.  You wouldn't even have to stop at a kiosk for that.

The kid had a brilliant plan to get up close and personal with the characters.

That's true.

He got a lot of attention from the parade performers.  And, it looked like he was enjoying himself, too.

My daughter and I both said that kid is a genius.

TCD

Well, it looks like this is it.

The end of the line.

Finally.

These are the last photos I need to add as bonus content for this TR, as they come from June 27, and we ended up coming back to WDW to camp at the Fort for the 4th of July weekend.

The photos from that trip deserve their own TR.

So, let's finish up here, and then I'll work on getting that one started.

We had just finished watching the parade, and we were expecting that the Twins would be back some time soon.  Their main purpose in going to Universal was to see a new animatronic raptor that they have a meet and greet for there.  We had already learned via Snapchat that they were successful in that quest.   But, since it wasn't crowded, they stayed and checked out the new Harry Potter stuff.

So, that meant that DD1 and I had four FP+'s for Space Mountain that we could use.  Our two and the twins'.  We all carry extra copies of each others' MB's, so that meant all we needed to do was scan the twins' MB's for one ride and our own for the second.  And that's what we did.  Then I used our Buzz FP+, and went to the kiosk to get a bonus FP+ on the extra MB's I had used earlier.  They were offering a bunch of choices still, but there was a Jungle Cruise one that we could use right away, so I took that.

To cool off before our hike to Adventureland, we took a spin on the People Mover.  That provided me with a look at the area we once knew as the rose garden, which is still under construction:

6%2027%2015%20063_zpsydsobyzz.jpg

6%2027%2015%20064_zpsc3v43l50.jpg

We headed over to Adventureland after that, and rode Jungle Cruise.  We had a good skipper.  We have all our fingers and toes crossed that Twin #1 will finally fulfill her dream of being a skipper when she starts her college program in Disneyland next month.  We ride the Jungle Cruise whenever we can, so she can pick up any new jokes or ideas she can use.

After Jungle Cruise, we heard from the other girls.  They were ready to head back and wanted to meet up for dinner.  I didn't really expect them to go for it, but I suggested that we meet at Trail's End, and get a Giddyap and Go.  To my surprise, they agreed to that, so DD1 and I headed out of the park and that way.

DD1 did not want fried chicken.  Or anything else that they have for take out at Trail's End.  So we took the monorail to the Contemporary and got her a turkey sandwich at the Contempo Café.  Then we headed down to the boat dock.

It took forever for out boat to come.  And, I had to look at that stupid abomination ruining the view across Bay Lake while we waited:

6%2027%2015%20067_zpsfenor8hu.jpg

Our boat finally came, and we found out why we had such a long wait.  We had the stupid singing boat captain.  The guy can sing, but he's slow as molasses.  He spends way too much time talking and schmoozing with guests and other Castmembers.  Dude, your job is to drive the boat, not work the crowd.

Anyway, this boat ride took us around the far side of Discovery Island, where I was able to snap a couple of photos that I needed.

This one shows the building at the landing where guests used to enter the park after docking at the long dock that used to extend out into the lake.  As you can see, there is no dock:

6%2027%2015%20068_zpsigc62ss9.jpg

There used to be a dock.

You can see it here in this 2001 aerial photo:

di%20dock%202001_zpsind0oixa.jpg

It was still there in 2004:

di%20dock%202004_zpspyfff4gp.jpg

But it disappeared somewhere between 2006 and 2007:

di%20dock%202007_zpsrd3g7xkf.jpg

The other dock has an old backyard storage shed on it:

6%2027%2015%20070_zpsbmbngacv.jpg

The reason I was interested in checking this all out is that there is a new tour being offered by Disney which suggested in early promotional material that guests would be able to explore the landing on Discovery Island.  I didn't understand how they could dock boats there or where guests would be able to explore.  A different description of the tour on the Disney Parks Blog doesn't mention exploring anything on Discovery Island.  And, I don't think they are going to be taking any guests there.  They really can't.  If you want to know more about this tour, it is being discussed on this thread:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/15761-new-escape-to-walts-wilderness-tour-includes-discovery-island/?hl=%2Bexploring+%2Bwalt%26%2339%3Bs+%2Bwilderness

We got to the Fort, met up and chowed down.

Then we all traveled back to the MK.

We had Wishes FP+'s.

We found our places:

6%2027%2015%20071_zpsfbq1vqwe.jpg

And we found something new here. They have expanded the FP+ viewing area by roping off the new pathway directly in front of the fenced in areas with the fake grass.  You can see what I'm talking about here:

6%2027%2015%20072_zpsettdu3bn.jpg

That's nice if you have a Wishes FP+.  You could take a spot here at the front of the area, and sit on that short wall until the fireworks start, and then stand and turn around and be reasonably certain that no giant man will be hoisting his rotten kid up on his shoulders right in front of you (yes that even happens in the FP+ viewing area) (people suck).  It's not nice if you don't have a Wishes FP+, as this takes away a very big space of prime viewing outside of what was once the more limited FP+ viewing area.

It's kind of cool to be in the FP+ area and observe the common folk struggling to not be stampeded out in the harsh reality of Main Street:

6%2027%2015%20073_zpstpqrrd23.jpg

Tonight, the untrained PAC CM's were at least trying to keep things orderly.  To the extent that was possible with their lack of training and the absence of management:

6%2027%2015%20074_zps1p50qs2v.jpg

6%2027%2015%20075_zpsflufs1al.jpg

All was good for us though.  Here's my best fireworks photo from that show:

6%2027%2015%20088_zpsovhtfyy8.jpg

After Wishes, we hung around the Hub Grass for a while.

After the crowd thinned a bit, I noticed someone who looked kind of familiar.  At least the back of her head did.

I went over to see, and sure enough, it was GDF/Kelley.  And the Z-man.  And one of GDF's girlfriends.  I said hello, and we had a little chat.

Then it was time to go.

We finished the night with a ride on the Mine Train.

And then we were out of there.

And that's all I have for you.

If you've read it all, good job.

If you haven't, do yourself a favor and go back and read what you skipped.

There's some good information in there that you might be able to use.

I guess this is goodbye for now.

Look for a new TCD 4th of July TR coming soon.

TCD

Ah, idiot parents.

Impressive use of FP hacks.

It was great to see you again! I still can't believe you saw us in the crowd. Was it the Georgia stroller? Z made it to midnight that night. He's growing up. After you left, I realized I had a Space parent swap pass I should have given you. Since you had already ridden twice, I don't feel so bad.

Sad to see this great TR ending but looking forward to your July 4th report!

No reason to be sad with a new report on the way.

I'm the first to read it all- what do I win?

Have you ever received a FWRR spike? 

Ok this trip report started in Canada, right? It's been so long I can't remember....Merci beaucoup!

Best Regards,

Norm

I can't remember either.  It seems like there was some French spoken somewhere, though.

Thank you for posting such great trip reports! I can't wait to read the 4th of July camping trip. I'm really looking forward to the twins adventures in DisneyLand! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't post trip reports if no one read them, so thanks for reading along on this one and ones to come.

We are in a place of great anxiety/apprehension about the twins' upcoming move to California.  They are both having their butts kicked in summer school at the moment, and then we will be heading west in just (gulp) 19 days from today!

Ah, idiot parents.

Impressive use of FP hacks.

It was great to see you again! I still can't believe you saw us in the crowd. Was it the Georgia stroller? Z made it to midnight that night. He's growing up. After you left, I realized I had a Space parent swap pass I should have given you. Since you had already ridden twice, I don't feel so bad.

Hey, I know you have used a few FP hacks yourself.

As a matter of fact, I did spot that red stroller.  That's awesome Z made it that late.

No worries about the Space Rider Switch.  We had ridden a lot of rides that day, and didn't have to wait for one of them.

TCD

Very interesting post about the wilderness tour thing. While it sounds like a lot of money for what you get, I like the idea that FW is being showcased. Shows the place, in my mind, is still valued in management's eye.

I wonder if the tour of the DI landing is "from the comfort and safety of the vessel"?

I've been very hard on DI over the years, but after re-examining a lot of the old photos posted here of the place, it seems like it had tremendous potential...and maybe I've been too hard on it. There are a lot of cool pictures of walking trails and bridges and such. It would be very cool to see something done with island again. Something fun. Maybe a "Tom Sawyer Island on Steroids" kind of thing instead of a zoo/educational thing. I'd imagine there's still some infrastructure there that could be salvaged.

I have not, but as I tell my wife and kids- "my camper is already overweight!" I'm actually researching new wheels and tires at this very moment.

Though, having a spike would be cool. Maybe I'll hit y'all up in February.

Man, I'm sorry you never got spiked.  I should have made that happen while you were at the Fort on one of your visits this year.  I'll put a spike aside for you for whenever your travels bring you back to central Florida.  February is a good time to visit.

As always, a very informative TR. Looking forward to reading your next one.

Thanks.

Very interesting post about the wilderness tour thing. While it sounds like a lot of money for what you get, I like the idea that FW is being showcased. Shows the place, in my mind, is still valued in management's eye.

I wonder if the tour of the DI landing is "from the comfort and safety of the vessel"?

I've been very hard on DI over the years, but after re-examining a lot of the old photos posted here of the place, it seems like it had tremendous potential...and maybe I've been too hard on it. There are a lot of cool pictures of walking trails and bridges and such. It would be very cool to see something done with island again. Something fun. Maybe a "Tom Sawyer Island on Steroids" kind of thing instead of a zoo/educational thing. I'd imagine there's still some infrastructure there that could be salvaged.

I am not sure what is left on that island that could be salvaged.  There were wooden boardwalks, and the typical wooden buildings that you see around the Fort.  They've been sitting there with no maintenance for 14 years now.  It would probably cost more to try to save any of that stuff than it would to bulldoze it and start over.

I am glad that all of my daughters got to visit Discovery Island several times before it closed.  The twins only have vague memories of it, but my older daughter remembers some very specific fun things that we got to do there.

I agree that they could do something cool with that island.  But, I'll bet the beancounters won't allow it.

As always thanks for taking us along on your adventure. Looking forward to the 4th of July Trip Report.

And thank you for following along.

I'm hoping to launch the 4th of July report later today.

TCD

Great adventure report - it's like being Around the World in Eighty Days -   

PS we're lucky that our kids all got to see Discovery Island too - it's like River Country - still a really good memory.  I even have their paper passes with their photographs on them from when we went in "94.

• 1 month later...

When I started to catch up on trip reports I saved this for last, because with 35 pages I knew it would take me days to read all of it.  I was right!  I just finished page 13 and have been reading a few pages a day.  I love TCD trip reports, you write it so we feel like we are there or as close as possible, anyway. 

About the wine and beer in the park, Walt would not be happy.

Love traveling by train!  The one to DLP sounds wonderful.

Too many other things to comment on, just glad this is here to be read.

OK!  Now on into the park!!  Let's see their castle.

Page 14 here I come.

Finished!  Finally!  Kept getting waylaid by life but always had this to come back to and now it's finished.

A few thoughts, you make me want to visit Dublin and London. 

The train to DLP sounds like fun.  The castle in DLP is beautiful.  From your photos it looks prettier than MK's castle.  But of course not seeing it in person makes a difference.

The dragon under the castle...perfect!

Cool you got a reply from the camplessground management.. sure hope you are able to use the free stuff.  At least they gave you some time to do so.

My DH is a hot dog lover, told him about your Paris hot dogs, he is interested.   The hotel you stayed at was perfect for sight seeing.  I like that you took the tour bus during a rain storm.  And then used what you saw from the bus to visit later.  The animal statues outside the museum are amazing

All your FP+ hacks are good to know.

Thanks for this TR and the many more you have written.