Thanks for the reminder - the sound effects, as far as I could tell, were coming from these four 'vents' (which are likely disguised speakers). We heard all kinds of noises, elephant sounds (doing dishes?!?) and conversations coming from them while we were there.

Fun!  They do something similar to this at Universal in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in some of the stores/restaurants.  It's neat if you're paying attention.

Good for you.  I don't have time to upload photos today, but I took the TCD twins to the Skipper Canteen on Sunday night.  The twins just arrived back from California that morning, but we had to go before they head back to school.  Twin #1 just finished a six month gig as a Jungle Cruise Skipper at Disneyland, and expected to not like the fake Skippers working in this restaurant.  Her experience was actually the opposite of what she expected.  She LOVED it. 

...I have some photos to share, and my reviews of a couple of more menu items.  I'll get to that in the next day or two.

Looking forward to it!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about pics and a blog post? https://letsplanwdw.com/2016/07/19/dining-review-jungle-navigation-co-ltd-skipper-canteen/

Well, it looks like the TCD gang gets to claim bragging rights as the first Fiends to dine in the new Skipper Canteen restaurant.   We went on Saturday, December 19th, just a bit after 4 pm.  We walke

We had dinner there last night (Monday) and the server we had indicated that as far as they all were aware there were no plans to take ADR's.  Apparently a number of the guests have indicate they real

Here are a few photos I took of one of the murals in the S.E.A. room at the Skipper Canteen.  I was seated facing this on one of our visits, and some things about it intrigued me.

First, this little detail shows a Nautilus submarine from the old 20,000 Leagues ride being attacked by a giant squid:

12%2029%2015%20203_zpsmbo8uum6.jpg

Below that is a giant mural showing a boat with sailors aboard fighting off a Kraken:

12%2029%2015%20204_zpsoqlxrqgs.jpg

I got a better shot when my neighbor went to the powder room:

12%2029%2015%20206_zpsrwwba6im.jpg

The depiction of the men on the boat caught my eye.  They appear to be older men dressed in 1960's style clothing-not ancient mariners:

men%20on%20boat_zpstmpnhqcm.jpg

men%20on%20boat.2_zpskmyetywg.jpg

I think these dudes on the boat are the likenesses of imagineers ala the Phil Holmes portrait over in New Fantasyland.

Does anyone recognize any of them?

TCD

Here are some more photos I have from my visits.

I've eaten at the Skipper Canteen four times now.  I figure that it's going to be impossible to get ADR's for there once it enters the system, so I've gone as much as I can.

On one visit, we ordered the dumplings again.  After these were brought out, our server brought us an order of the falafels and said there had been an error in the kitchen, and these were on the house:

12%2029%2015%20110_zpsyywfyjnh.jpg

Eating these made me realize that I am not sure what a falafel is.  I guess I've never had one. These were like very moist hushpuppies.  Not bad, but not something I'd intentionally order and pay for.

On this trip, I tried the Pork:

12%2029%2015%20111_zpszeb08hex.jpg

No complaints.  It could have been a bit moister, and the sauce could have been a bit tastier, but it was good.  Notice that same stupid broccoli stalk.  I noticed that the menu calls this Chinese broccoli.  I guess that explains it.

It is very dark in the hallway that leads to the S.E.A room, so I took a flash photo of some of the books in the bookcase:

12%2029%2015%20112_zpsqqaub5qq.jpg

Those are some interesting titles.

On the next visit, I tried the chicken noodle bowl.  There was a noodle dish they used to serve at the Polynesian Resort quick serve, and I was hoping this one would be similar to it:

12%2029%2015%20207_zpsyj6sqbaa.jpg

It wasn't. When I ordered this, our server told me that it was very spicy.  It wasn't.  It was very bland. Like really, really bland.  Basically it tasted like chicken broth.  The fresh vegetables on top were nice, and the chicken and noodles were good.  But, it needed that spice that the server told me about.

I took another photo of a different set of books. These titles are less whimsical, and the book on the right is upside down.  I wonder why?:

12%2029%2015%20208_zpsuf0qs0uy.jpg

On my most recent visit, I tried the Skip's macaroni and cheese. Our server told me that it was something more like a meat lasagna, with a white sauce, than what I might think of when I think of mac and cheese.  She was right:

12%2029%2015%20223_zpst7yw2glj.jpg

This is one of the cheaper entrées on the menu, and I waited until the fourth visit to try it because I thought it wouldn't be special, but it was.  It's very good, and a nice portion, as opposed to the five shrimp that left me a bit hungry.

On this visit, I decided to take some photos of the fez hats they have on display in the bookcase.  There are some interesting names mentioned here:

12%2029%2015%20224_zpsnqgj8ppi.jpg

Dr. Albert Falls, of course, is the founder of the jungle cruise.

Albert the Monkey is the name of star of the Mystic Manor attraction in Hong Kong Disneyland.  It's interesting he's mentioned here.

On this shelf, we find the hats of Henry Mystic and Merriweather Adam Pleasure:

12%2029%2015%20225_zpsrl0egfnz.jpg

Henry is Adam the Monkey's owner.

Merriweather is the fictional founder Pleasure Island.

There are more shelves and more hats in the bookcase.  I'm interested now in who those belong to.

On our last visit, which was at the tail end of the Christmas break, the restaurant was almost empty for our early dinner.

Word has been out for a while now, and the park was busy.  But, the restaurant wasn't.

When they first opened Be Our Guest, it was swamped from day one.

I'm afraid the menu here isn't appealing to WDW guests.

That's a shame, because I really like it.

I predict there will be some major tweaks,  And soon.

TCD

I think you are right. The menu is hurting them. All they need to add is like 2 plain dishes (how hard is it to add a grilled chicken ?) and a plain appetizer and something on the kids menu and I bet it would be packed.

I am not interested in the menu but it's a shame if they make a total overhaul because I'm sure plenty of people would enjoy it, just not enough to pack the place.

Nice job on the photos. Wish I could have met up with you to pick your brain on some of the items in there.

Re: the noodle bowl:

Look at my photos of the bowl, you'll notice the red thai peppers floating in there.

Trust me, if you get one of those like my unsuspecting wife did, you'd think that noodle bowl was spicy.

I think they do need to tweak the menu slightly, but I also think it appeals to a different sort of park guest. There are a lot of visitors that appreciate not having the same crap on the menu at every meal.

Also, for the curious, falafel is usually made from mashed or ground and spiced chickpeas which is then deep fried. So yeah, I guess you could compare it to a hush puppy. IN NYC you get a couple of them in a pita with some yogurt sauce from street vendors.

Re: the noodle bowl:

Look at my photos of the bowl, you'll notice the red thai peppers floating in there.

Trust me, if you get one of those like my unsuspecting wife did, you'd think that noodle bowl was spicy.

I do see those red peppers in your noodle bowl.  I had none. I'm telling you, mine had zero spice to it.  It was like plain chicken broth.

I wonder if they're experimenting with how the dishes are prepared?  My daughter had the chicken three times, and the second and third time, the chicken had noticeably different seasoning than the first time.

If this isn't being done intentionally, then they have a serious quality control problem.

TCD

I do see those red peppers in your noodle bowl.  I had none. I'm telling you, mine had zero spice to it.  It was like plain chicken broth.

I wonder if they're experimenting with how the dishes are prepared?  My daughter had the chicken three times, and the second and third time, the chicken had noticeably different seasoning than the first time.

If this isn't being done intentionally, then they have a serious quality control problem.

TCD

Did they ask for any feedback on what you thought about the various dishes?  If not, it doesn't make much sense to experiment.

Thanks for the review/photos, TCD!

I actually like falafel but it can often be really dry.  Good to hear this wasn't.

I was really hoping the noodle bowl would be more than fancy chicken soup.  Hopefully that's one of the ones they tweak and get right.  Even if it doesn't end up super spicy, it should at least be flavorful and not bland.

• 3 weeks later...

A neat article from Disney Food Blog...

Disney Dining Details: Skipper Canteen Secret Passageway Bookshelves

Do you harbor a secret dream to become a member of the S.E.A. (Society of Explorers and Adventurers)?

If so, then maybe you’d like to do a little exploring with me today as we step back inside the Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen in Magic Kingdom’s Adventureland, the still-new restaurant based on the Jungle Cruise attraction.

We’ve already taken a full tour of of the Canteen, including its three dining rooms: the Crew Mess Hall, the Falls Family Parlor, and a once-hidden meeting room for the S.E.A. But now it’s time to check out a few more of those Disney details! And with many thanks to my friend Daniel Wanderman who recently dined there, we’ve got some more to share…

In order to enter the S.E.A. Room coming from the Mess Hall, you must pass through a hallway.

Bookcases lining the hallway from the Mess Hall

Bookcases lining the hallway from the Mess Hall

As you pass, you’ll notice the hallway is lined with bookcases.

Hallway Bookcases

Hallway Bookcases

These shelves previously disguised the room entrance back in its hidden days, and this is where we’re zooming in to check out some of the books on the shelves.

Because pretty much every book in the photos below has some sort of joke or nod to a Disney Legend or Imagineer, I won’t point out everything. Plus, part of the fun will be exploring them on your own (and if you’d like to do that from the comfort of your own home, just click any of the images below to enlarge)!

But we’ll start by noting that the punny humor of the Jungle Cruise attraction is in full force with a few of the books. The Illustrated Guide to Radio Broadcasting was composed by the Skipper behind the Voice of the Jungle you hear in the Jungle Cruise queue, Albert AWOL. Also on the shelf is Boat Evacuation Procedures by Cap. Size.

Jungle Skipper Canteen Bookshelves

I believe the author of Tiki, Tiki, Tikis of the South Pacific is a nod to Disney Legend and score composer, Buddy Baker. This isn’t the only tribute to Baker in the Magic Kingdom, as you’ll also spot his name on a Main Street U.S.A. window above Harmony Barber Shop.

Again, in this next batch we’re looking at the authors, and among them, J. Lasseter (John Lasseter who is, of course, the Chief Creative Officer of Pixar Studios) is listed as the author of Great Characters of World Literature, while Sklar (in tribute to Disney Legend Marty Sklar) is the author of Meeting Royalty.

Jungle Skipper Canteen Books

And who can forget the classic tome FUZNEWI PDMWH CHF JD U ;) ? It was written by none other than… Albert the Monkey! This isn’t the last we’ll see of Albert, by the way…

A few acknowledgments of the Skipper Canteen’s Adventureland neighbors populate the next group of books; for instance, Native Orange Birds of the Southeastern United States reminds us of the Orange Bird from Sunshine Tree Terrace. It’s written by Dr. Sid Truss. (I had to say that one out loud to get the joke. How about you?)

Crooning Flowers isn’t only a tribute to Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room attraction, but you’ll also spy Sherman and Sherman as the authors (the brothers behind the signature song “Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room” and many other classic Disney songs too numerous to mention, but including “it’s a small world (after all)”. Speaking of Tikis, Prof. Boag — referencing the great Wally Boag, who voiced Jose in the Tiki Room among many other critical points in his storied career — penned the classic Songs of the Tiki Bird. And Bathing with Elephants and The Congo Queen serve as reminder of the inspiration behind the Jungle Skipper Canteen, the Jungle Cruise ride itself.

Check out the angle of The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling. This book is on the moveable bookshelf, the one that would allow entrance into the room. We can only assume that this is the book that members of the S.E.A. would pull to open the wall!

The books aren’t the only details in the mix, though. The society crest can be found on hats belonging to members like Dr. Alberts Falls (the man behind the name of Schweitzer FALLS from the Jungle Cruise and founder of the Jungle Navigation Co.). Next to his hat, you’ll spot one for Albert the Monkey (primate AND famous author ;).

Society Member Caps

Society Member Caps

Henry Mystic has one as well, and anyone who has had the good fortune to visit Hong Hong Disneyland will recognize both Henry Mystic and Albert the Monkey from the Mystic Manor attraction in Hong Kong Disneyland.

Society Member Cap

Society Member Cap

And that brings us to the end of our tour for now. But do you know what the best thing about all this is? It may well be that we’ve barely scratched the surface of all the Disney Dining Details in the Jungle Skipper Canteen!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2016/01/29/disney-dining-details-skipper-canteen-secret-passageway-bookshelves/

43 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Thanks for sharing the link, Mo.

They did a good job pointing out some of the hidden references in those books.  I really like all the details in this restaurant.

TCD

The Disney Parks Blog posted a fluff piece on the Skipper Canteen today:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/02/all-in-the-details-exploring-jungle-skipper-canteen-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Ask a server at Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen where the best seat in the house is, and in true Jungle Cruise fashion, he or she may respond with, “Inside!”

AITD578923-613x409.jpg

All in the Details: Exploring Jungle Skipper Canteen at Magic Kingdom Park All in the Details: Exploring Jungle Skipper Canteen at Magic Kingdom Park

That’s just proof that the witty and adventurous spirit of the guest-favorite Jungle Cruise attraction has spread to the nearby Skipper Canteen restaurant, which just opened its doors in December. The table service eatery features three unique dining rooms, including the crew’s Mess Hall; The S.E.A. Room, a secret meeting room for the Society of Explorers and Adventurers that was once hidden behind a bookcase; and the Falls Family Parlor, formerly occupied by the infamous jungle explorer Dr. Albert Falls. Remember him as the namesake of The Jungle Cruise’s Schweitzer Falls?

All in the Details: Exploring Jungle Skipper Canteen at Magic Kingdom Park All in the Details: Exploring Jungle Skipper Canteen at Magic Kingdom Park

The theming and storyline of the restaurant is really brought to life in the tiny details you can find in each room, which are stocked with treasure troves of mementos that Falls and the other adventurers collected over years of exploration. Disney Parks history buffs will have a blast picking out references to The Jungle Cruise attraction in the restaurant’s wood carvings, and few artifacts have even made their way over from the former Adventurer’s Club at Pleasure Island (now Disney Springs). Can you spot any in these photos?

Another fun element that brings the location to life is the background music. On my latest visit, a friend remarked that she felt she was a million miles away, in a different time, as tunes from the 1930s played lazily in the background. So fun.

It's interesting that the first two comments to that blog post are from guests complaining that they can't make ADR's and wont risk using their Dining Plan credits for that restaurant.  It's weird that they still aren't taking ADR's.  It's hurting their business.

TCD

9 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

It's interesting that the first two comments to that blog post are from guests complaining that they can't make ADR's and wont risk using their Dining Plan credits for that restaurant.  It's weird that they still aren't taking ADR's.  It's hurting their business.

We had dinner there last night (Monday) and the server we had indicated that as far as they all were aware there were no plans to take ADR's.  Apparently a number of the guests have indicate they really like being able to walk in and have a nice meal as opposed to planning months in advance.  Which for me is a real plus because often we don't know what we want to eat until the last minute,

4 minutes ago, lightbikes said:

Apparently a number of the guests have indicate they really like being able to walk in and have a nice meal as opposed to planning months in advance. 

While it would be really nice to have a table service option where you didn't have to book months in advance, I can't imagine this will be the only TS restaurant on property that doesn't take ADRs.  I imagine Disney wants to make sure the seats are full at all times and not leave it to chance.

The falafel looks good as does the Char Siu. Falafel is basically the Mideastern version of a fritter or hush puppy made from ground chickpeas. I usually order some whenever I eat at a local Lebanese restaurant. After looking at the menu I hope they don't change it too much. We don't like eating at quick serve restaurants and when we sit down like to have a variety of options which the current menu appears to have. You could even have decent small plates meal based on what I see on the appetizer menu.

I also like the fact that you can basically walk in the restaurant at any time- but that is only because it's new and the uber-planners and Disney Dining Plan guests have their ADR's for other places.

But, the fact that I can walk in means that they have lots and lots of empty tables- even at peak times.

I agree with Mo- it makes no sense that they would have just this one sit down restaurant outside of the global ADR plan. I don't understand what they're trying to do with this restaurant.

It's sad, because I really like it, but there's no way it's going to survive with its current menu if this is how they're going to operate it.

TCD

7 hours ago, Beckers said:

I wonder if Disney will ever do say walk up for lunch and ADR for dinner ? Doesn't seem like them to do anything that could keep them from making maximum profit.

Now there's an idea!  Although originally BOG was a walkup and even though it's counter service, that didn't last too long.  :wacko:

57 minutes ago, keith_h said:

The falafel looks good as does the Char Siu. Falafel is basically the Mideastern version of a fritter or hush puppy made from ground chickpeas. I usually order some whenever I eat at a local Lebanese restaurant. After looking at the menu I hope they don't change it too much. We don't like eating at quick serve restaurants and when we sit down like to have a variety of options which the current menu appears to have. You could even have decent small plates meal based on what I see on the appetizer menu.

Good falafel is so good.  And bad falafel is ... terrible.

34 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

It's sad, because I really like it, but there's no way it's going to survive with its current menu if this is how they're going to operate it.

TCD

I expect they will tweak the menu some over time.  I just hope they don't tweak it too much so that it becomes the "same old same old."

For anyone interested in a blogger's opinion of the Skipper Canteen, Josh over at EasyWDW posted a pretty thorough (and humorous) review:

http://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/jungle-skipper-canteen-restaurant-review-magic-kingdom/

His opinions seem to be consistent with those posted here- it's a welcome addition to the Magic Kingdom, but it could use some tweaking.

TCD

Thanks for sharing that, TCD!

It occurred to me reading it that it might really just be the kids menu that's holding this place back, most likely because this is in MK.

So in this childless Disney blogger’s opinion, I think Disney does need to do a better job of mixing in some reasonable standbys alongside some more interesting items. The kitchen, which is shared with Liberty Tree Tavern anyway, could easily offer up the Egyptian Mac and Cheese with a note under it that says, “Served Plain – $9.50.” It wouldn’t kill them to add a kid’s turkey sandwich or a hamburger slider, again potentially served up with something unique, but also an easy option to order it “plain” as so desired.

Plunk this same menu at AK and, judging by the majority of food offerings in that park these days, this menu would likely be very popular.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 1:23 PM, Beckers said:

I think you are right. The menu is hurting them. All they need to add is like 2 plain dishes (how hard is it to add a grilled chicken ?) and a plain appetizer and something on the kids menu and I bet it would be packed.

I am not interested in the menu but it's a shame if they make a total overhaul because I'm sure plenty of people would enjoy it, just not enough to pack the place.

I went back in the thread to look at something, and found this post from Beckers.

It looks like she and Josh are on the same page.

2 hours ago, shoreline99 said:

I think that is a great, balanced review.

I agree.

Did you notice how Josh said his noodle bowl was bland and flavorless?  That was my experience too. Yet, the one you reported on was very spicy.  They have a consistency issue.

TCD