Hey all,

I just signed up after seeing someone's sign in the 100 loop on Sunday.  Wanted to say hello.  Also I'm looking for some input on a place to stay while heading to and from The Fort.  We generally go down I-75 from KY and stop in Valdosta.  We just got home Tuesday, and I think the DW would be fine if she never saw Atlanta again.  I'm not far behind.  Anyway I think next time we are heading down through Alabama to I-10 then over.  That spits us out onto I-75 at Lake City, is that a good place to stay the night?  How about Gainsville?  I'm not looking for a lot of amenities, just a decent hotel and maybe a fast food joint for us and the kiddo. 

Thanks in advance

Brian

Welcome!!

If you are talking hotel, then just search on various cities in that area with your favorite hotel chain.

Some mid-range chains are marriott, holiday inn, hampton, etc.

If you want campgrounds, there are many that are pretty good in the Lake City area

Atlanta is actually no so bad if you time when you go through there. We try to go through there after 7pm and go straight through downtown.

:thtray:  Welcome!  Glad you're here!

We live in Atlanta and I agree with your wife... I too would be fine if I never saw it again ;)    The drivers here (no, I'm not from here) are horrific.  That being said, not sure that I would make my trip longer, by driving a different route, but maybe the one you mentioned does not do that?  Carol is correct... if you wait until later, it's easier to handle.

We've always driven straight through to the Fort, so I don't actually have anything to add on where to stop (sorry), but I wanted to jump in and say "hello"!   I'm sure some other Fiends will be by closely to say hi and possible offer up some suggestions.

Thanks for the replies! Atlanta is about the halfway point of our trip.  Were hesitant to drive straight through.  Towing the camper would make that a 16hr +/- drive and result in paying for a night at the fort, just to set up and go to bed.  We usually drive 12 hours or so to Valdosta, sleep for the night then finish the drive, set up, and still have a half day to play.  Waiting until late to go through Atlanta would put us at Valdosta until 1am or so.  Anyway, going through Alabama only adds about an hour to the drive, (an hour we're not unlikely to add in Atlanta traffic anyway) and we thought we might give it a try. 

Thanks for the replies! Atlanta is about the halfway point of our trip.  Were hesitant to drive straight through.  Towing the camper would make that a 16hr +/- drive and result in paying for a night at the fort, just to set up and go to bed.  We usually drive 12 hours or so to Valdosta, sleep for the night then finish the drive, set up, and still have a half day to play.  Waiting until late to go through Atlanta would put us at Valdosta until 1am or so.  Anyway, going through Alabama only adds about an hour to the drive, (an hour we're not unlikely to add in Atlanta traffic anyway) and we thought we might give it a try. 

Welcome, you're off to a good start with a double post!  :lol:

Happens to the best of us.

When you click the post button look to the right of it and it should say saving post.

If nothing happens for a while, copy what you just wrote, then go back to the top, click on view new content, and see if your name is the last poster.

If it is, your post took, if it isn't go back into the thread and past what you had copied and try to re-post.

Can't help on your travels, we only live a little over an hour away door to check in.

But when we travel I usually try to avoid Atlanta if we can, or like others have said go thru very very early, or later in the evening.

Thanks for your service.

My daughter was/is a Marine.  She did one tour.  Couldn't be prouder of her.

This is another post to just say Welcome.

I'm with you and your wife, I have not use for Atlanta, or the whole state of Georgia for that matter.  Good idea bypassing the whole nasty place.

Gainesville, Florida is a pretty awesome place.  I'm sure you won't have a problem finding a nice place to stay near the interstate.  There are also some good options just down the road in Ocala.

TCD

Yeah, that's tough. We are 4 hours from Atlanta, so we can easily time going through there. I know that I have to leave my home (Central Time Zone) at 6am, 10am, or 2pm or later to have a good driving window through Atlanta. We then usually drive through if we leave in the morning, but more often than not, we leave after 2pm, and stop around Tifton.

Welcome! Not sure how much help I can be as we live 2 hours south of the Fort. Luckily we always seemed to time our trips through Atlanta to miss the worst traffic, except one time and that was enough haha.

Have you looked for military bases that might have fam camps? When I traveled with my grandfather (retired army) we stayed on a lot of military bases. Some had proper campgrounds some just lots or places to park for the night. If it's an option for you I'd look into it. I know they were much cheaper than a regular campground.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

AuburnChris, that was exactly the plan!  According to Google it only adds about an hour to the trip.  Well worth it if true.  Worth a shot anyway.  Are you familiar with 231?  Is that good road?  It looks like mostly 4 lane, which is right in my 60mph wheelhouse.   

When we are leaving from our home in Alabama, we have traveled the I-65, 231, I-10 route many times.  Hwy. 231 is a decent road and is only congested in the area around Ozark, AL and Dothan, AL.

There is a way to bypass Dothan, but I wouldn't advise someone unfamiliar with the roads to try it, especially after dark.  I can give you those directions if you so desire.

As far as where to stay, we always use Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park in White Springs, but from I-10 that would require you to drive a few miles north on I-75 once you got to the I-10, I-75 junction.  You might want to check out some of the other choices if that's too inconvenient. 

As a alternative route, we also use Hwy. 84 out of Dothan, AL and take I-75 out of Valdosta.  I primarily do this because I hate the traffic, especially trucks, on I-10.  The only congestion that amounts to anything on this route is Thomasville, GA.  I actually prefer this route when we leave from our Alabama home.

When using the I-65 route, make a note on the best way through Montgomery, AL.  When coming into Montgomery, take I-85 and get off on exit 9, Hwy. 271 (Taylor Road) which will take you to Hwy. 231.

Welcome to the board, there are tons of information about Disney and most other subjects here.  If i can help you any further, just let me know.

Welcome!!  I can't be of any help because I live in Maryland, but just want to say welcome. 

Also, my son-in-law is an active duty Marine stationed at Camp Pendleton.  He should be

heading to Parris Island for drill instructor in the spring.  Thank you for your service and maybe

we will run into each other at The Fort!!!

AuburnChris, that was exactly the plan!  According to Google it only adds about an hour to the trip.  Well worth it if true.  Worth a shot anyway.  Are you familiar with 231?  Is that good road?  It looks like mostly 4 lane, which is right in my 60mph wheelhouse.   

Yes (this is his wife) it is all 4 lane.  You will want to go down to Montgomery on I85 and then go to I65 through Montgomery to the Taylor Road exit.  It will say "to 231" on the signs.  It will dead end onto 231 and you take a left and follow 231 all the way to I10.  We are very familiar with Montgomery so PM us if you need any assistance with the route, as it is the way we go down.

Yes (this is his wife) it is all 4 lane.  You will want to go down to Montgomery on I85 and then go to I65 through Montgomery to the Taylor Road exit.  It will say "to 231" on the signs.  It will dead end onto 231 and you take a left and follow 231 all the way to I10.  We are very familiar with Montgomery so PM us if you need any assistance with the route, as it is the way we go down.

Awesome.  That's definitely the plan for the next trip down, except we will take 65 straight down to Montgomery then get on 85 for a couple miles.  And thanks for the offer on the help!  Hopefully you wont "accidently" confuse a left/right turn, seeing as how we are from Wildcat country!!  

:thtray:  Welcome!  Glad you're here!

We live in Atlanta and I agree with your wife... I too would be fine if I never saw it again ;)    The drivers here (no, I'm not from here) are horrific.  That being said, not sure that I would make my trip longer, by driving a different route, but maybe the one you mentioned does not do that?  Carol is correct... if you wait until later, it's easier to handle.

We've always driven straight through to the Fort, so I don't actually have anything to add on where to stop (sorry), but I wanted to jump in and say "hello"!   I'm sure some other Fiends will be by closely to say hi and possible offer up some suggestions.

We drove through ATL last year on the way to Destin and hated it so much we rerouted on the way home to drive across the panhandle to Jax and then north.  Actually bumped side mirrors with a tractor trailer in stop & go (mostly stop) ATL traffic.

And welcome, new guy!