I know we have a recent WiFi thread somewhere but can't find it from my phone.

We picked up a modem lot at the Meadows trading post tonight and the CM said they were told WiFi was scheduled to be in place in the campsites in November. Nothing more specific than that yet. Stay tuned...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Antennas are being installed and wired. They are different from most, antennas on top and bottom.

Here's a picture of the WiFi equipment being installed on site 1422 a few minutes ago. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They've had Wi Fi in the cabins and at the Meadow for a long time! So yup, they have Wi Fi and met their Monday deadline!

Posted Images

I'm probably the only one in the world who is hoping they will still keep the cable modem access after WiFi is installed. Sent from my iPhone

I can understand why. I doubt they are going to pull all the cable wiring already there so at the least maybe you will be able to bring a cable modem?

I can understand why. I doubt they are going to pull all the cable wiring already there so at the least maybe you will be able to bring a cable modem?

Will have to see.  The bank has just started to reverse it's anti wireless policy.  Of course, anyone with a "VP" or "A-VP" behind their name now has wireless access.  Some big conference held in WDW helped facilitate that.  I put my request in as advised by my supervisor and was promptly denied by his boss.  My time off request that I put in for next October was also denied as I have nobody to back me up except my supervisor and he has vacation scheduled as well.  The only nobody but my supervisor can do my job.  I Need that stupid wire if I'm going to be able to make that Fort trip.

I call BS.

I've heard rumors like this for years.  I'm not buying what one CM at the Trading Post is selling.

One of these days, there will be WIFI in the camping loops.  But, I don't think it's going to happen next month.  Or in this calendar year, for that matter.

Thanks for reporting the rumor, though, Mo.  It's always interesting to hear what the CM's are saying.  There's usually some shed of truth in what they say.

TCD

For coverage at the sites themselves, it wouldn't be too hard to do, but not too cheap.

They could take every other sites cable connection, split it, attach a cable modem with wi-fi, and it would probably serve at least 2 sites with adequate coverage.

The biggest hold up would be how they would house and secure the equipment.

Is that the proper or best way, possibly not, but it would be the quickest and they wouldn't have to erect towers or worry that much about trees blocking signal.

The more deluxe way would be to install a wi-fi enabled cable modem at every site, but again the sticking point is how to secure it against the weather and theft.

I call BS.

I've heard rumors like this for years.  I'm not buying what one CM at the Trading Post is selling.

One of these days, there will be WIFI in the camping loops.  But, I don't think it's going to happen next month.  Or in this calendar year, for that matter.

Thanks for reporting the rumor, though, Mo.  It's always interesting to hear what the CM's are saying.  There's usually some shed of truth in what they say.

TCD

I know how these things go and this one in particular. She seemed to be relaying info direct "from above" but who knows. She said they were laying lines in the ground, but to what she didn't really know. We'll see...

The good news is that there will be enough Fiends at the Fort between now and the end of the year that if it does happen, I'm sure we'll hear all about it. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

She said they were laying lines in the ground, but to what she didn't really know. We'll see...

Laying lines in the ground?  For what?

The rumor 2 years ago (also heard from a TP CM) was that the crazy cable TV channel line up at the Fort was because they were about to introduce WIFI in the camping loops "soon."

Two years have come and gone since that one.  But, I have no doubt that this information was shared at a staff meeting, as others heard the same "news."

TCD

Laying lines in the ground?  For what?

The rumor 2 years ago (also heard from a TP CM) was that the crazy cable TV channel line up at the Fort was because they were about to introduce WIFI in the camping loops "soon."

Two years have come and gone since that one.  But, I have no doubt that this information was shared at a staff meeting, as others heard the same "news."

TCD

This is why it's so odd that they haven't had wi-fi sooner.

Every site already has a cable connection going to it, and I'm sure all of the Fort's buildings do also, even if it's just to tie the POS registers together.

The majority of home internet connections come over some type of cable tv connection either partially or all the way.

So, all they have to do to give wi fi to all the sites is like I said earlier install a wi fi enabled cable modem at each site, lock it in a waterproof pedestal and split the cable connection at the post.

Wouldn't be cheap, but less expensive than new cabling, towers, booster, etc.

makes you wonder if they are even trying.

This is why it's so odd that they haven't had wi-fi sooner.

Every site already has a cable connection going to it, and I'm sure all of the Fort's buildings do also, even if it's just to tie the POS registers together.

The majority of home internet connections come over some type of cable tv connection either partially or all the way.

So, all they have to do to give wi fi to all the sites is like I said earlier install a wi fi enabled cable modem at each site, lock it in a waterproof pedestal and split the cable connection at the post.

Wouldn't be cheap, but less expensive than new cabling, towers, booster, etc.

makes you wonder if they are even trying.

Right, and that is how they provide WIFI in the cabins- through the cable.  Every cabin has it.  But, the campsites don't.

It wasn't that long ago that they added cable to all the loops.  So, it's not like it's old.  And, internet works fine with the cable modems they provide.

So, when the CM told Mo that they are getting ready to lay lines in the ground, and then we'll have WIFI, I say BS.

Bottom line is that it will be a substantial expense to add WIFI to the camping loops, and they are raking the profits in just fine without it, so there's no incentive or urgency on management's part to add it.  Like with a lot of things at the Fort, as long as the bottom line looks good, they don't care about improving guest experience.  Sadly, nothing new there.

It's funny that these rumors always seem to originate with the CMs at the Meadow Trading Post, who have the job of checking out the cable modem kits.  They probably hear complaints from guests the most of all CM's about the lack of WIFI, so management feeds them these rumors to keep guests quiet.  Rumors are free.

TCD