But how do you keep ferry people isolated from launch people and monorail people? You can't pre-screen at every dock and mono station. And you don't just need to keep the people in different lines, you need to isolate them so unscreened people can't hand contraband to pre-screened people. No, controlling at a single-point of entry is the only good solution.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just so I can show off and prove that not only do I have a photo of almost everything at WDW, but can also find the photos when needed, here's a photo of the weapons lockers outside of the MK entrance

TCD I find your level of picture organizational skills top notch.

Heads up for any Fiends on the Scene headed to the parks this week. Lots of reports around the interwebz of really long lines at bag check - partly because of the holiday crowds rolling in and partly

But how do you keep ferry people isolated from launch people and monorail people? You can't pre-screen at every dock and mono station. And you don't just need to keep the people in different lines, you need to isolate them so unscreened people can't hand contraband to pre-screened people. No, controlling at a single-point of entry is the only good solution.

I could be accomplished, for example most of the Mono- stations at the hotels have nice choke points in the queuing areas to get up to the boarding, bag check them there.

for the ferry you could set up a bag check area just before the Ferry queue where you have to make a decision about boat or monorail. just past the ticket windows.

Then its a matter of guests traveling from 4 resorts by boat, and again the queuing areas are good choke points, 1-2 security personnel staffed could cover it for the most part, and they are already there at the resorts

Yeah, screening guests entering the Ferry or TTC monorail would create more problems than it would solve.

As Santa said, how do you keep those folks separate from the bus people?  And what about monorail resort guests arriving via resort monorail and Fort and Wilderness Lodge guests who arrive at their boat docks?

And let's not forget that all those bag checkers have to be paid.  It's cheaper for Disney to pay one set of bag checkers at the park entrance.

TCD

Also, why are you screening me at a dock if I'm not going to a park? I'm just taking the boat to the monrail to go to the Polynesian etc etc.

Best Regards,

Norm

because Terror can happen anywhere....  Imagine this, some nutjob decides he want to sink a ferry via explosive device, there are 600 ppl on the ferry

take the monorail, again same nutjob now over a roadway so not only does he take out the mono, but the cars/ buses below

because Terror can happen anywhere....  Imagine this, some nutjob decides he want to sink a ferry via explosive device, there are 600 ppl on the ferry

take the monorail, again same nutjob now over a roadway so not only does he take out the mono, but the cars/ buses below

Yes it can happen anywhere but if you think the cost of the Fort, the parks or other Disney attraction is high now just wait until they have check at every transportation point there is. Also if someone really wanted to make a statement they wouldn't even need to go through a security line to cause a problem with say the monorail. The parks are the most likely place for an event so it makes sense to do the check there and not bother those guests that are moving around doing other things.

Yes it can happen anywhere but if you think the cost of the Fort, the parks or other Disney attraction is high now just wait until they have check at every transportation point there is. Also if someone really wanted to make a statement they wouldn't even need to go through a security line to cause a problem with say the monorail. The parks are the most likely place for an event so it makes sense to do the check there and not bother those guests that are moving around doing other things.

Even on "normal" days if there still is such a thing, the bag check lines are an issue.

Each guard seems to have their own way of doing the checks, some are much more thorough than others.

People are warned that there is a bag check, but like others have said, they wait until they are at the guard and have deer in the headlights look that says "gee, you need me to take my back pack off, take out the 6 bags from under the stroller, and open my purse?"

These are the same people that wait until their groceries are rung up then decide to dig for their check books, credit cards, etc.

The biggest thing, is that Disney needs more tables set up, and should have guards walking the lines telling people to have their bags unzipped, removed from the storage under strollers, etc.

Or they need to go with the airport type scanners where your bag goes thru the x-ray machine, but then they would have to build some type of weatherproof building to house them.

Sorry, I'm not going to be inconvenienced and searched every time I get on a mode of transportation at Disney while on vacation, it isn't East Berlin. By your theory I have to be searched 4 times on my trip from the Fort to the Polynesian. If you are that paranoid, stay home.

Even on "normal" days if there still is such a thing, the bag check lines are an issue.

Each guard seems to have their own way of doing the checks, some are much more thorough than others.

People are warned that there is a bag check, but like others have said, they wait until they are at the guard and have deer in the headlights look that says "gee, you need me to take my back pack off, take out the 6 bags from under the stroller, and open my purse?"

These are the same people that wait until their groceries are rung up then decide to dig for their check books, credit cards, etc.

The biggest thing, is that Disney needs more tables set up, and should have guards walking the lines telling people to have their bags unzipped, removed from the storage under strollers, etc.

Or they need to go with the airport type scanners where your bag goes thru the x-ray machine, but then they would have to build some type of weatherproof building to house them.

I've always thought, that they should have more canine presence at the parks... both at the gates and inside.  In all the years, I think I've only seen one or two canine officers. 

We bought my son a clear backpack - found it at Office Max.

I see backpacks, tote bags, and even lunch boxes (though not insulated) on Amazon.  Seems like all the buyers are prison employees, NFL fans, or students.

Maybe I'll check around here first. Would like to try it on to test for comfort.

I think that would also be fairly waterproof for certain rides as well as maybe somewhat less time through bag check.

Clear bags do make it easier. I have one for Nascar races that I bought and we used that this year, it helped and we only had to open our cooler.

Best Regards,

Norm

That's what the NFL requests people to use for the games.

I wonder if this is because of the holidays, recent attacks in Paris, and the overall heightened threat level here and overseas. Is there a fiend on the scene that knows if the are paying closer attention at the no bag gates?

It would be very hard/expensive for Disney and annoying for guests to be checked before getting on every for of transportation, especially if taken in several boats or busses to get somewhere. An attach on one of the ferries or monorail would be horrible, but imagine how much worse something happening in/around the hub during one of the parades or fireworks shows.

Sadly there seems no way to be sure of safety these days and as much of an annoyance as it is I'm glad that they are at least trying to be more thorough.

I know there have been times that we have gone through back check that I've wondered why I waited in line for them to just glance at the bag and wave us on.

Clear bags do make it easier. I have one for Nascar races that I bought and we used that this year, it helped and we only had to open our cooler.

Best Regards,

Norm

That's what the NFL requests people to use for the games.

Yes, I have a few Eagle's ones that they sent me as a season ticket holder gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I'm not going to be inconvenienced and searched every time I get on a mode of transportation at Disney while on vacation, it isn't East Berlin. By your theory I have to be searched 4 times on my trip from the Fort to the Polynesian. If you are that paranoid, stay home.

No, not unless you get off and then back on at each stop

No, not unless you get off and then back on at each stop

I get searched at the boat at the Fort, I than get on the monorail and get searched and head to the Polynesian and have breakfast. I than get back on the monorail and get searched and than I get searched getting back on the boat. That's 4 times just to get breakfast at Ohana. Which I obviously have to leave even earlier for because who knows how many people will be at each place to get searched.

Why not build a giant wall around WDW and search people only one time, when they enter the property?  I mean, it can't be that difficult to build a wall, right?

How about an alligator filled moat? The gators are already on site.

We were in the parks Saturday through Wednesday. There were indeed increased security. Bag check was normal holiday busy except for Monday at AK. We stood in line there for 30 minutes! I also noticed that the bag check guys really made eye contact with us and most asked us something - not necessarily security related, maybe just to be gauging how comfortable we were with them. All were friendly but very thorough. Especially at MK we saw many, many more CMs wandering about (those not in any specific uniforms - higher ups?) and standing in ride queues watching people. This was also the first time I saw armed security guards in the parks. Made us wonder too if there had been a new threat