I meant to comment on this after my day trip to the parks last Saturday.

I saw the scanners at MK and DHS.  They are set up under EZ-up canopies, and appear to be staffed by one worker in one of  the yellow CSC Event Security shirts.  The actual bag check was a little more thorough, but that's not saying much.  I didn't see anyone sent to the scanners.  The guy in the yellow shirt at DHS had his phone out and was texting- not paying attention to the crowd at all.  Maybe the texting was work related, but I doubt it.  Disney CM's are not allowed to have their phones out "on-stage," and I thought the whole scanner set up looked horrible and crappy, and so did the guy standing there texting on his phone.

I think this whole thing was a publicity stunt to let the world know that Disney park guests may have to walk through a scanner.  There certainly is no heightened level of security at the parks.

TCD

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to fire up the iPad to see the photos. work pc blocks photobucket.   It's a very poorly thought out, thrown together system.   And to top it off, they let how may thousands of runners go through

We just walked up to bag check at the MK, no signs of construction. They would have to make some sort of weather proof enclosure also.

There is no way that Disney is going to just suddenly implement airport level security at its bag check lines.   It would cost a fortune and would be a logistical nightmare. There would be no "no bags

Oh how far we have come. I remember as a kid getting a pistol from the pirates gift shop. You would put a cork ball in it (included) and one cap under the hammer. There was a tiny hole under where the cap went that went back behind the barrel. When you pulled the trigger it went off like a cap gun but actually fired the cork. No red tips on the barrels back in those days..

Me too! Kids played with them right in the park and no one thought anything of it. My guess is they don't want accidental shootings from security guards?? It's not the same world and it's a shame in many ways.

Woo-hoo I got randomly picked to empty my pockets and go through the metal detector at Hollywood Studios tonight!

On another note when I was going into the MK Wednesday night around 11 the metal detectors looked shut down for the night (park open till 1 and magic hours till 3).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My boys & I got sent through at HS the other night with no bags.  The next morning at MK just I got sent through.  I had my clear bag (which BTW has been a big hit with the bag checkers).  We got there early enough that I had my pick of bag checker because there was no one at any table, and I was joking around with a couple of them.  Then I got sent to the scanner and told that lady it seems like the friendlier you are, the more likely they are to send you through.

I had my clear bag (which BTW has been a big hit with the bag checkers). 

Good to know!

Does anyone know what the recourse is if you refuse to go thru the scanner?

Will they deny you entrance to the Parks?

Just wondering, wouldn't they have to print the policy on the tickets or on some sort of handout?

Good question.  I haven't seen anything official, but I have to think there's some sort of policy in place, at least internally if not published.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Disney has its own CM's, and not the CSC Event Security folks, staffing the scanners now.

At least they did at AK when I visited there last Friday:

1%208%2015%20019_zpshn9xfjl9.jpg

1%208%2015%20020_zpsvkqbepke.jpg

I was lucky and got chosen "randomly" to be scanned.  One of the portly security guards waddled over to my bag check line and told me that I had been selected to be scanned.  I think it was because I was in the bag check line closest to the scanner.  It's a pain because I had to empty my pockets, and leave my backpack on the table to walk through the scanner- and then go back to retrieve my stuff.  Other guests had to leave their stuff on the same table as mine, with just the not-so-swift security guard watching it while we went through the scanner.  Seems like that would be a perfect time for someone to swipe a phone or wallet.  I don't like it.  Not very magical.

TCD

We entered EPCOT International Gate on Sunday during the marathon.

I had a mesh backpack with a couple of water bottles in it.  Disney Security didn't even open it, just looked thru the mesh.

Then me and a couple of other people behind me were selected for the metal detector.

Like TCD said it's a major PIA.  The table isn't big enough, all they have are ashtray sized containers for your pocket stuff.

I had my backpack, full sized camera, cell phone, then pocket items.

Of course it buzzed because I had a belt on, then the metal button on my jeans.

I wasn't too thrilled either with all my items getting pushed around on that small table.  The one guard did hold my camera the entire time and they both kept apologizing and thanking everyone for being patient.

At least at the airports, I have everything out of my pockets and in my carryon before hitting the scanners and they have tubs to hold all your items together.

They need to improve on this process.

We entered EPCOT International Gate on Sunday during the marathon.

I had a mesh backpack with a couple of water bottles in it.  Disney Security didn't even open it, just looked thru the mesh.

Then me and a couple of other people behind me were selected for the metal detector.

Like TCD said it's a major PIA.  The table isn't big enough, all they have are ashtray sized containers for your pocket stuff.

I had my backpack, full sized camera, cell phone, then pocket items.

Of course it buzzed because I had a belt on, then the metal button on my jeans.

I wasn't too thrilled either with all my items getting pushed around on that small table.  The one guard did hold my camera the entire time and they both kept apologizing and thanking everyone for being patient.

At least at the airports, I have everything out of my pockets and in my carryon before hitting the scanners and they have tubs to hold all your items together.

They need to improve on this process.

Right-

If you look the second photo I posted above- the guy in the sunglasses is picking up his stuff from his table- and the African American guy's stuff is sitting on the table too.  As the African American guy goes through the scanner, his back will be to the table.  What's to stop the dude in the sunglasses from grabbing the African American guy's stuff?  You can see the Security Guard isn't paying attention to what's going on.

Typical.

TCD

Right-

If you look the second photo I posted above- the guy in the sunglasses is picking up his stuff from his table- and the African American guy's stuff is sitting on the table too.  As the African American guy goes through the scanner, his back will be to the table.  What's to stop the dude in the sunglasses from grabbing the African American guy's stuff?  You can see the Security Guard isn't paying attention to what's going on.

Typical.

TCD

I had to fire up the iPad to see the photos. work pc blocks photobucket.

It's a very poorly thought out, thrown together system.

And to top it off, they let how may thousands of runners go through the parks during 4 days without checking them... granted there wasn't a lot they could conceal, but a water bottle could hold some nasty stuff.

That's why the entire bag check, scanner thing is ludicrous.  If someone wanted to god forbid plant a bomb, sandwich containers, metal water bottles, etc could hold plenty of bomb making materials, and spread that out over 5 or 6 people entering separately then joining up later they could make a pretty sizeable one.

A terrorist isn't going to waste time using a knife or a pistol to inflict damage which is all their security maybe can catch now.

I had to fire up the iPad to see the photos. work pc blocks photobucket.

It's a very poorly thought out, thrown together system.

And to top it off, they let how may thousands of runners go through the parks during 4 days without checking them... granted there wasn't a lot they could conceal, but a water bottle could hold some nasty stuff.

That's why the entire bag check, scanner thing is ludicrous.  If someone wanted to god forbid plant a bomb, sandwich containers, metal water bottles, etc could hold plenty of bomb making materials, and spread that out over 5 or 6 people entering separately then joining up later they could make a pretty sizeable one.

A terrorist isn't going to waste time using a knife or a pistol to inflict damage which is all their security maybe can catch now.

I agree-  as I said earlier in the thread, this is nothing but a stupid publicity stunt which allows Disney to say that they are using scanners on guests, when in reality, very few guests are being scanned.

Once again, guests are inconvenienced (and subjected to the possible loss of their valuables on the tables adjacent to the scanners), because the idiots in charge are too stupid to do it right.

You're right- a real bad guy could come up with a thousand ways to get around this so-called increased security.

TCD

It's "security theater" designed to make the sheep feel good about how much Disney cares about them.  Not unlike the TSA at the airports which routinely fail test runs of guns and explosives getting by them.

If you wanted "real" security, it would be politically incorrect like the Israeli's practice, and also would encourage off-duty police and military to carry a weapon while in the park, also like the Israeli's.....

It's "security theater" designed to make the sheep feel good about how much Disney cares about them.  Not unlike the TSA at the airports which routinely fail test runs of guns and explosives getting by them.

If you wanted "real" security, it would be politically incorrect like the Israeli's practice, and also would encourage off-duty police and military to carry a weapon while in the park, also like the Israeli's.....

True.

At least TSA and the government attempt to make it look like they are doing something (besides aggravating everyone).

I agree we should adopt the Israeli methods of airport security, but the Liberal crybabies would be filing lawsuits left and right.

Everything in the US has to be "fair" and sink to the least common denominator.

10 year olds and 90 year olds will be treated the same way as a  25 year old male that can bench press 300 pounds or the skinny guy that's sweating up a storm and won't make eye contact with anyone.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/disney-hire-train-its-own-security-personnel/np4hJ/

Also, just as an aside:

I usually carry a pocketknife. Not some switchblade thing but a normal swiss army knife. Christmas day i forgot to leave it in the cabin and had it in my pocket. I put it in my sunglass case and of course got picked for the scanner. Glasses case, phone and wallet went in the tray. Knife went in to the park. We headed from there to EPCOT and same thing. Sailed through the scanner.

Just saying. Not telling anyone there's a loophole but these people weren't looking too hard.

It looks like Disney has its own CM's, and not the CSC Event Security folks, staffing the scanners now.

At least they did at AK when I visited there last Friday:

1%208%2015%20019_zpshn9xfjl9.jpg

1%208%2015%20020_zpsvkqbepke.jpg

I was lucky and got chosen "randomly" to be scanned.  One of the portly security guards waddled over to my bag check line and told me that I had been selected to be scanned.  I think it was because I was in the bag check line closest to the scanner.  It's a pain because I had to empty my pockets, and leave my backpack on the table to walk through the scanner- and then go back to retrieve my stuff.  Other guests had to leave their stuff on the same table as mine, with just the not-so-swift security guard watching it while we went through the scanner.  Seems like that would be a perfect time for someone to swipe a phone or wallet.  I don't like it.  Not very magical.

TCD

If you are pulled out of line to be scanned then they need to be able to handle your bags as well. I guarantee I would be looking for my payday if I was pulled while my bag stayed at my previous location and was stolen. If they can't handle a full search then Disney needs to drop this whole farcical security scanning as it won't catch anything anyway.  

True.

At least TSA and the government attempt to make it look like they are doing something (besides aggravating everyone).

I agree we should adopt the Israeli methods of airport security, but the Liberal crybabies would be filing lawsuits left and right.

Everything in the US has to be "fair" and sink to the least common denominator.

10 year olds and 90 year olds will be treated the same way as a  25 year old male that can bench press 300 pounds or the skinny guy that's sweating up a storm and won't make eye contact with anyone.

Hey I'm a liberal and don't cry nor do I have issues with taking rational steps that are truly effective such  as you see with El Al. In fact as I recall the TSA was founded and set up by a conservative. :P 

Hey I'm a liberal and don't cry nor do I have issues with taking rational steps that are truly effective such  as you see with El Al. In fact as I recall the TSA was founded and set up by a conservative. :P

Liberal huh?  You know you can get treatment for that now, right?  It's never good to suffer in silence.....    KIDDING!       ;) 

And you're right.   I have no idea what the hell W was thinking when he did that. I can only imagine it was pressure from the airlines. They saved a ton of money by offloading security to the taxpayers.....

I'm a fan of what Reagan used to say:  "The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program."    :lol: 

We went through security gates/tables for a month (Dec/Jan) with no scanners imposed.  It didn't seem to matter whether we had bags to be checked or not.   Not sure what the criteria was for checking...so many an hour?  We did see the EZ Ups with the CSC people in their yellow shirts, but very few being ushered towards the scanners.  I did see one family of four get scanned...sorta a DIT looking guy, smiling a lot.

We went to Dollywood over the holidays and once inside the park my husband opened his backpack and took out a pair of scissors to cut open a SD card package to put in his camera.  I said I was surprised he got the scissors through the bag check. Then I realized there had been no bag check, no scanners, no nuthin. One just walks through the turnstile after the employee scans one's admission card.  I guess they know no one messes with Dolly. 

We went to Universal on Christmas Day and then another day the next week. They had a few scanners past the bag checks, but no one directing anyone anywhere.  The first day there were only a few people in line so we just walked by them.  The second day there were long lines at the scanners, so I assumed everyone was supposed to go through and got in line.  I was wrong, people just kept walking by. But since I had been standing in line, I was afraid to get out of it, like that would look suspicious.  :huh:

We went through security gates/tables for a month (Dec/Jan) with no scanners imposed.  It didn't seem to matter whether we had bags to be checked or not.   Not sure what the criteria was for checking...so many an hour?  We did see the EZ Ups with the CSC people in their yellow shirts, but very few being ushered towards the scanners.  I did see one family of four get scanned...sorta a DIT looking guy, smiling a lot.

From my limited observations so far- it seems to me that they are simply choosing the guests who look like they would give them the least amount of trouble going through the scanners.  They must have a certain number they need to scan for each shift, and they take the path of least resistance.  There is no doubt in my mind that they are going to steer clear of anything that might suggest any kind of profiling. 

TCD