8 hours ago, Starbuc71 said:

They are getting old and are filthy. That about sums it up

The shutdown yesterday may have been because of a suicide at the contemporary. Its clear you have a thing with Disney lately but this post may not have been the right place for venting. 

It's an odd story.  None of the Orlando major news channels have the story on their web pages.

The only "real" news outlet that mentions it is Brighthouse Cable TVs own cable news channels in Orlando and Tampa, and that Inquisitr article.

Even if you Google it, the articles are very sparse or all sound like they were taken from that article Jason posted.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that it's odd there is no real news outlets reporting it.

20 minutes ago, Travisma said:

It's an odd story.  None of the Orlando major news channels have the story on their web pages.

The only "real" news outlet that mentions it is Brighthouse Cable TVs own cable news channels in Orlando and Tampa, and that Inquisitr article.

Even if you Google it, the articles are very sparse or all sound like they were taken from that article Jason posted.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that it's odd there is no real news outlets reporting it.

You would know better than I but I saw this one as well later on. Dont know if its a reputable station. 

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2016/3/22/deputies_investigati.html?cid=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Just notice it has the Brighthouse Cable logo on the page. Never mind. 

53 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I saw this on Chip & Co too, but they don't cite their source but the post looks very similar to what's on the Brighthouse site.

It is being reported that the Orange County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a suicide at Disney’s Contemporary Resort.

Monorails were shutdown while the Sheriff’s Office conducted their investigation Tuesday afternoon.

A Disney spokesperson said everything was being handled by the sheriff’s office and that the monorail system was now running.

No other details have been released.

http://www.chipandco.com/police-investigating-a-death-at-disneys-contemporary-resort-232955/

The Inquisitor is a funny thing.  They seem/sound like the online version of the tabloids, like the Inquirer, but they do pick up real news, and sometimes before it's reported elsewhere.  They were the ones that ran the story of the person that jumped off the Disney ship not long ago well ahead of any of the news outlets.

I'm still not seeing any news outlets reporting anything this morning.

If it really happened I feel for the family. Even more so if it was a suicide.

I'm still a little suspect as something like a suicide or falling death would be hard to coverup in this day and age at a place like WDW. With the number of people that are milling around or going through the Contemporary a number would have had to see it and posted on some type of social media. Now if there were an accident at ground level so to speak I could see how it might not get out and could be hidden until Disney decided to announce it. 

We may not hear any more about this. Sadly, suicides are more common than many know, and are usually handled quietly as a routine matter by the police.  Many times, all you hear or read is that someone died "suddenly" or "unexpectedly".

If they choose to do it in a very public manner then, as noted by others above, it will make the local news, but even then it is a quick note as there is still a high level of discomfort when talking about the subject.

When reading the article, it seems to say that the person jumped from the top of the Contemporary and may have landed on the tracks below. If that's the case it may have only been witnessed by a very few people.

I apologize if any of this sounds cold, I dealt with countless suicides in my career, and I was surprised at how many times it happens and goes unreported.....  :(

It's still unclear exactly where this happened, if he jumped from the "top of the A frame" as the story says, that could mean inside or outside. If it was inside, then I agree that it would have been all over social-media.

If it happened outside, I can see where he might have gone off the roof, landed on the track just outside and not been seen by very many people.

IIRC, I don't think there are many places in the Contemporary that look down on the outside where the monorail enters the building.

Again, this is very sad and always is when someone makes that awful decision to take their own life. I am just glad that they didn't hurt or kill anyone else while doing so.

Sometimes distraught people will do things that intentionally or unintentionally harm others while trying to harm themselves. If he had jumped inside the building it could easily have been an even bigger tragedy.   :(

17 minutes ago, Travisma said:

But this was right in the backyard of network TV stations, not out in mid ocean.

Like someone else mentioned, where are all the cell phone pictures, tweets, blogs, instagram posts?

It's just odd, especially in this day and age of instant posting.

True, although that begs the question of how The Inquisitor get their info on the DCL incident too. IIRC we had a similar conversation then, questioning why they were the only ones running the story, and in the end they were right.  So who knows.  If it's true it's sad and tragic. If it's not, well that's just awful...

I just did a quick Twitter search and the only things I'm seeing that cite a source refer to that article or the News 13 story.

Good question. Most local media stays on top of anything the local police and fire get dispatched to.  They monitor the radios pretty closely, I know we couldn't put out anything interesting on a radio transmission w/o having Boston news media calling us to find out what was going on.

That doesn't answer why no one else got the story though.  Either it didn't happen the way it's being reported, or maybe Disney called the local agencies by phone and asked that they respond with a minimum of radio traffic. If the body was not in the immediate public view I can see how this may have been handled relatively quietly.

5 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

The shutdown yesterday may have been because of a suicide at the contemporary. Its clear you have a thing with Disney lately but this post may not have been the right place for venting. 

I would like to apologize for the comment I made in the start of this post. I never click on any of the links, because sometimes it ends up being a virus and it takes me forever to get rid of it. As I went back and looked, I saw the link showed that someone possibly committed suicide at the contemporary.  I thought this was a post like the regular BS about monorails always breaking down. As much is I have a bug up my butt about Disney These days Jason is totally right and I apologize for posting this in this area.  My prayers go out to the family of this person if this is a true story. Once again I apologize 

4 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

That doesn't answer why no one else got the story though.  Either it didn't happen the way it's being reported, or maybe Disney called the local agencies by phone and asked that they respond with a minimum of radio traffic.

That's what I've wondered too.  I'm also starting to think The Inquisitor may have someone on the way-way-inside that feeds them info when stuff like this happens.

4 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I have seen Facebook posts in some groups that people were at Contemporary when it happened and there were police all over but none that say they saw it happen. 

Thank heavens for that.

This is very sad as any death is.

I saw a couple of post talking about the person possibly falling on the monorail tracks. I also wonder if maybe it just happened around or in an area that could have been viewed by a passing monorail and to protect a possible crime scene being disturbed or people being able to see the scene from the monorail it was shut down, maybe not having any actual contact from with the tracks or workings of the monorail. I may have missed somewhere where it said there was.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You may have problems, be sick (medically or mentally), who knows. But why choose a place that could indelible harm that many kids. Maybe I'm just over protective of kids. I can't imagine trying to explain that scene to a 5 or 6 year old.

58 minutes ago, caveat lector said:

You may have problems, be sick (medically or mentally), who knows. But why choose a place that could indelible harm that many kids. Maybe I'm just over protective of kids. I can't imagine trying to explain that scene to a 5 or 6 year old.

Sadly for someone who reaches that point its not so much a decision of where or when or who but now. Luckily I was able to stop Dad. 

23 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

It's still unclear exactly where this happened, if he jumped from the "top of the A frame" as the story says, that could mean inside or outside. If it was inside, then I agree that it would have been all over social-media.

If it happened outside, I can see where he might have gone off the roof, landed on the track just outside and not been seen by very many people.

IIRC, I don't think there are many places in the Contemporary that look down on the outside where the monorail enters the building.

Again, this is very sad and always is when someone makes that awful decision to take their own life. I am just glad that they didn't hurt or kill anyone else while doing so.

Sometimes distraught people will do things that intentionally or unintentionally harm others while trying to harm themselves. If he had jumped inside the building it could easily have been an even bigger tragedy.   :(

It has happened before.  A few years ago, someone (I believe a cast member) jumped from the top onto the monorail track (outside).  There wasn't a lot of coverage back then either, although more than this.