Trading Post, Chuck Wagon, and set-up questions.

I'm still weighing whether to order a grocery delivery. I do not want to end up with a lot of uneaten food as I will probably end up eating most meals out. I figure I can just pick up a few things at the trading post. I can pack muesli/oatmeal for a week and Via instant coffee - I have a mini bodum hotpot that I pack all the time. At the Trading Post, please comment whether the following are available. If you have an idea of cost, that'd be great, too.

* plain, unflavored, unsweetened yogurt.

* milk in quarts or pints.

* half n half.

* hot dogs, what brand.

* buns, what brand.

* fresh vegetables.

* fresh fruit.

Also, does the Trading Post carry the following things I may not want to waste weight on:

* long outdoor extension cords.

* tarp.

* mallet.

* paracord (if I end up needing more than I've packed).

At the chuck wagon, if you purchase a single hot dog to roast at the campfire, does it come with a bun/condiments?

The kid's Mickey check turkey sandwich meal actually sounds good to me, too, because it comes with fresh fruit and veg. Anyone tried it?

Lastly, I have been dwelling a bit on the scenario of rain when I arrive. It seems that statistically November has the lowest chance of rain (33%) - but I want a plan in place. If it's pouring rain, I figure I can sit it out at the Reception Outpost until it eases up. Is this quick tarp set-up doable tree-wise at most sites? I will definitely be in either 1500 or 2000. I could throw this up and set up the tent beneath it.

6d3732c3a5cc52d00b4fd3fb04e21550.jpg

Thanks!

ps The Decades channel weekend Daniel Boone binge is pumping me up! Not Disney, I know, but Fess Parker in a coonskin cap at least!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know a lot of people use a different company, but we use wegoshop.com sometimes and really like them. They shop the sales, and you pay them a fee based on the totals.

I've eaten the turkey sandwich. It's a great value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, does the Trading Post carry the following things I may not want to waste weight on:

long outdoor extension cords.

tarp.

mallet.... look for a rock or a piece of wood, or ask a neighbor if they have one to borrow.

paracord (if I end up needing more than I've packed).  You could always wrap extra around your waist and hide it under your shirt/blouse! :lol:

I've seen extension cords there, but you could buy 10 at Wal-Mart for the cost of 1 there.  If you just have the tent, you should be able to get it fairly close to the utility pole so a 10 or 15 foot cord should be good.  And it you aren't running anything big, a lightweight one should work.

Depending on your site, you might be able to rig up a tarp to look something like your example, but in reality, it'll probably end up looking like some origami project gone wrong.  Most of the trees aren't close or across from each other.

Like others have said, anything you purchase from the Fort stores is going to cost you an arm and a leg.

If you have friendly neighbors, see if they are making an off site supply run, and if they could pick you up a few items, maybe give them some gas money.

Thanks so much for those photos! I Really, really appreciate it! I have plenty of time do decide about a grocery delivery. My main concern is that I have no desire to sit around the site for two or more hours waiting on my delivery window.

I went to a class at REI tonight and picked up an Ice Mule cooler. It is super light (about 2 pounds), quite roomy, and rolls up very small, down to about a 3 inch wide + 10 inch long cylinder. We can use it for picnicking, it'll be perfect to pack for Disney. My rough mental calculations have me at about 30ish pounds, so I guess I will probably buy an extension cord and pack it. An extension cord can be over 3 pounds which is why I considered buying one there. I can pack my second bag to 50 pounds, but that would really hamper my mobility. All I will have to plug in is my phone and maybe a small usb fan. I guess I will pray that it doesn't rain. I'll toss in a tarp so I can at least cover my suitcase and gear on the picnic table while I set up.

Stock image of the cooler.

bd70885d90a650dbbfc21182185eeaf4.jpg

11 hours ago, bhall said:

That cord is a cheap err, I mean economy Home Depot branded cord.  HD sells it for under $10.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-25-ft-16-3-Extension-Cord-AW62601/100661460

With animated/synchronized Christmas and Halloween displays I've come to learn all my extension cords.

I was going to say it looked like Disney went to HD, bought a couple of extension chords and put their own price tag on them.

8 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I was going to say it looked like Disney went to HD, bought a couple of extension chords and put their own price tag on them.

Great minds think alike. 

Looks exactly like they did that. 

I've never seen the HDX brand anywhere except at Home Depot.

Found this on line

HDX marks the spot

In need of an opening price-point private-label brand that could extend across multiple categories, The Home Depot tapped MSI to design and introduce the HDX brand to the world. Keeping a close connection to the retailer's rich brand name and iconic orange color, the HDX brand was designed and built on a foundation of “Trusted Value,” delivering premium products at an affordable price. The launch included a video to educate store associates and brand guidelines to ensure consistency across a wide range of products.

At least they could've bought a name brand or a different generic brand and not something so obvious to anyone that has ever shopped at a Home Depot.

And it's priced at $9.68 at Home Depot.

Re. Your tarp arrangement.  I probably wouldn't bother.  A good Florida rainstorm will wipe it out or at the very least prove it to be a waste of time.   You need something a little more substantial than a rope between two trees and a tarp held down by two lines.

As far as groceries, some of the trading post prices aren't horrible.  I wouldn't do all my shopping there, but it is convenient for staples that you run out of.  As high as the prices are for groceries, it will still save you a bundle eating at the campsite compared to restaurant prices.

9 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

I noticed that stuff the first time at the fort, the frying pan is from Walmart.  8 wonder who has the job of shopping and bringing stuff back?

As I understand it it's actually an outside vendor who supplies all the groceries and "non Disney" supplies.

2 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

As I understand it it's actually an outside vendor who supplies all the groceries and "non Disney" supplies.

Rite Aid uses Coremark for delivering some of the perishable groceries to our stores, at least in my area. Bread, salads and sandwiches, things of those natures. 

On 4/29/2016 at 0:35 AM, libbylovespluto said:

Thanks so much for those photos! I Really, really appreciate it! I have plenty of time do decide about a grocery delivery. My main concern is that I have no desire to sit around the site for two or more hours waiting on my delivery window.

I went to a class at REI tonight and picked up an Ice Mule cooler. It is super light (about 2 pounds), quite roomy, and rolls up very small, down to about a 3 inch wide + 10 inch long cylinder. We can use it for picnicking, it'll be perfect to pack for Disney. My rough mental calculations have me at about 30ish pounds, so I guess I will probably buy an extension cord and pack it. An extension cord can be over 3 pounds which is why I considered buying one there. I can pack my second bag to 50 pounds, but that would really hamper my mobility. All I will have to plug in is my phone and maybe a small usb fan. I guess I will pray that it doesn't rain. I'll toss in a tarp so I can at least cover my suitcase and gear on the picnic table while I set up.

Stock image of the cooler.

bd70885d90a650dbbfc21182185eeaf4.jpg

I saw one of those coolers for the first time yesterday. Cool stuff.

Wegoshop is a pretty small business. I think the lady would give you a smaller time window if you called. I could be wrong though. I see to remember her calling when she got there, so you could be exploring the Fort and then go to meet her. 

Re. Your tarp arrangement.  I probably wouldn't bother.  A good Florida rainstorm will wipe it out or at the very least prove it to be a waste of time.   You need something a little more substantial than a rope between two trees and a tarp held down by two lines.

Just FYI, I only intended that as a temporary setup to cover me while I set up my tent IF it is raining when I arrive. I am worried about it raining when I arrive.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I saw one of those coolers for the first time yesterday. Cool stuff.

Wegoshop is a pretty small business. I think the lady would give you a smaller time window if you called. I could be wrong though. I see to remember her calling when she got there, so you could be exploring the Fort and then go to meet her. 

I'll check with wegoshop. Thanks! :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, Retired and Happy (Ken) said:

I don't see anything odd about having a HD product.  I also see brand name bread, milk, bologna, and frozen dinners, among other things.

True, but those items weren't branded to be specifically sold at 1 store.

You don't see Publix or Kroger private brand foods being sold at each others stores.

It's just odd...

For the Walmart and HD branded stuff, along with the camping essentials, I bet it is a cast member that got off-site to purchase. Brother in law works at another resort on the executive team and he buys stuff off, and even on, property. We went to Cast Connection with him last november and he used the company credit card to buy about several hundred dollars worth of stuffed toys to give to upset kids at the front desk. A lot of changing Mickey and Minnie toys. Strange there isn't a system in place to transfer them over but he said there is not. Each unit is it's own business.