Your favorite WDW area grocery stores?

So, last time we were here, we stayed in the cabins and took a friend's advice and ordered from Garden Grocer. It was very cool having an already filled fridge when we arrived! Next month we're road tripping and staying in our pup in the campsites. Didn't think paying the higher prices for GG was necessary this time. So, coming from the North, which is your favorite, easy to get to grocery store before checking in at our campsite? (Or for that matter, easy to get to after we've settled in, and may need to make another grocery run?)

There was a pretty good thread on this topic last year.  Here's a link:

I scanned through it, and most of the information there is accurate.

Personally, I'd wait to make the grocery run until after you're set up on site and unpacked.  You can then go without towing the trailer, and you'll also have a better chance of knowing if you forgot something.

I still prefer going to the Winn Dixie, even though I'm totally a Publix fan at home.  The Winn Dixie is easy to get to, and it's never crowded.  Note that Winn Dixie is one of those places that has lots of sale items that are for members of their rewards program only.  But, you can sign up for that on the spot and get the sale prices.

TCD

7880 Winter Garden Vineland Rd, Windermere, FL 34786 I use this Publix most of the time but I would definitely wait till after you unhook, their parking lot is not really friendly even for our F250 not towing anything.

I also use the Win Dixie 11957 S Apopka Vineland Rd, Orlando, FL 32836 their parking lot is more rv friendly but probably out of the way if your on your way in.

Both can be reached by back roads out of the Fort without having to get on world drive.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Personally, I'd wait to make the grocery run until after you're set up on site and unpacked.  You can then go without towing the trailer, and you'll also have a better chance of knowing if you forgot something.

The Winn Dixie is easy to get to, and it's never crowded.  Note that Winn Dixie is one of those places that has lots of sale items that are for members of their rewards program only.  But, you can sign up for that on the spot and get the sale prices.

TCD

Agreed across the boards.

One thing to keep in mind ... we've found the prices here on most regular items are reasonable, or at least in line with what we see up here in NH.  Everything but the chip/snack aisle where it seems the prices are hiked a bit for the tourists. 

There's also a good ABC Liquor store in front of it (good prices and selection there) and a Walgreens on your way back - in case you need such things. ;)

I'd stock up on non refrigerated items at home and maybe use wegoshop.com for the cold items. Unlike Garden Grocer, you pay the real prices and can choose which store they go to. Then you just pay a fee on top of that. Might be worth it if time is precious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

7880 Winter Garden Vineland Rd, Windermere, FL 34786 I use this Publix most of the time but I would definitely wait till after you unhook, their parking lot is not really friendly even for our F250 not towing anything.

I also use the Win Dixie 11957 S Apopka Vineland Rd, Orlando, FL 32836 their parking lot is more rv friendly but probably out of the way if your on your way in.

Both can be reached by back roads out of the Fort without having to get on world drive.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We really like this Publix store - it has some of the best prices we've found around the area.  The veggie selection is well priced and  their meat selection is really very good.  Plus they have a pretty decent liquor store next door which is owned and operated by Publix so the prices are matched to everyone else around.

Goodings is the closest, just at the end of Hotel Blvd but their prices are astronomical.

Winn Dixie is the closest and like TCD said sign up for their loyalty card, it's free.

There are a couple of Wal Mart super centers that are the next closest stores, followed by Publix.  Publix is pricier but look at their sale ads, they do have quite a few BOGOs.

There is an Aldis down a ways on 192, if you are familiar with them.

19 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Agreed across the boards.

One thing to keep in mind ... we've found the prices here on most regular items are reasonable, or at least in line with what we see up here in NH.  Everything but the chip/snack aisle where it seems the prices are hiked a bit for the tourists. 

There's also a good ABC Liquor store in front of it (good prices and selection there) and a Walgreens on your way back - in case you need such things. ;)

Agree with Mo. I live in the northeast and am a proud Winn Dixie club member, lol.

20 hours ago, XBoater said:

+1 for Publix, and if coming from the north it is very convenient on Rt 535.  Drive is less than 10 minutes from the Fort.  No where near the traffic compared to the local Winn-Dixie or Publix in Celebration.

It's my regular Publix, so easy to get to and seldom traffic to deal with.

FWGuy says Publix.  I never shop anywhere else for food supplies for the 3000 loop.  My endorsement alone should be all you need.

re. Booze.  Your camper fridge should be stocked with icy cold beer at home.  That way after you set up in the Florida heat you can reward yourself right away with a cold one.  From my experience in the 3000 loop, it can take a while for the cold beer to make it down the lines to the tap at your site.  As far as other adult beverages, I have heard the guy who is in charge of the 3000 loop charges way too much.

You'll see a MickeyDs on the left in the Publix shopping center, go pass that, make a U-turn at the next light.  Easy to do.

31 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Publix..

Left out of the FORT on Vista, left on 535 and it's about 5 miles.  Never had any traffic except what's on Vista.

On 7/6/2016 at 4:57 PM, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

The Publix at Celebration is great.

We made a huge miss calculation and were still hooked to our 38' fifth and tried to get into this Publix... DISASTER..

The parking lot is small and very very busy go early in the AM or late in the day avoid weekends..

FYI about the Publix near the Mary Queen Shrine/Lake Bryan (not sure what the street address is offhand) ... it is not uncommon to have a credit card decline there. It's happened to me twice, once with a Chase card & once with a Cap One card. It's due to the high level of fraud in the area & according to the cashiers, happens ALL the time. Thankfully, I had no trouble with my PIN-enabled debit card, or we would have been key lime pie less last week ;) 

and I'll cast my vote for Publix. I love that store. 

1 hour ago, CeciliaKy said:

FYI about the Publix near the Mary Queen Shrine/Lake Bryan (not sure what the street address is offhand) ... it is not uncommon to have a credit card decline there. It's happened to me twice, once with a Chase card & once with a Cap One card. It's due to the high level of fraud in the area & according to the cashiers, happens ALL the time. Thankfully, I had no trouble with my PIN-enabled debit card, or we would have been key lime pie less last week ;) 

and I'll cast my vote for Publix. I love that store. 

My credit card is always put on hold as soon as I try to use it in Florida. We travel a fair amount and Florida is the only state where we have run into this. My credit union told me Visa does it automatically because of high credit card fraud across the state. It usually takes them about 20 minutes to call me to confirm the transaction is ok and release the card.

I make a habit of notifying my credit card companies of where and when I will be traveling to an area, including where I will be making an overnight stop.

1 hour ago, ftwildernessguy said:

I make a habit of notifying my credit card companies of where and when I will be traveling to an area, including where I will be making an overnight stop.

That is what needs to be done by the consumer whenever you travel.  The bank I work for strives to inform our customers that you should notify us prior to travelling with your date and prospective locales where you will be using your debit/credit cards.  Once that's done there's never been any issue of a declined card.  I don't bank at the bank that employs me but I use a credit union and inform them as well of my travels.  Never had a problem anywhere or anytime once I inform them of the dates and locations.  I know Chase and Capital One has this option as well on their websites as I notified both of those companies on their website via my login of when  and where I was travelling.

All of this can be done in less time then it takes to search for and set up an ADR.  If, you can't find the way to do it on their websites, just simply call the 800 number on the back of the card to do it.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

Of course if you won the lottery you could shop at Goodings!

We stopped in a Goodings somewhere near WDW and it was one of the dumpiest grocery stores I had been inside in a long time. You would think with their higher prices they would clean the floors and windows occasionally.