From disneys site. I underlined the last couple of words. They probably prefer someone in your party hold the animal but if a solo traveler they must have needed an option to accomodate.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/service-animals/

Service Animals

We value all our Guests with disabilities and service animals are welcomed at most locations throughout Walt Disney World theme parks and Resort hotels. 

At Walt Disney World theme parks and Resort hotels, a service animal is defined as any dog or miniature horse trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability.

Guests who use service animals must retain control of their animals at all times and should keep them on a leash or harness while visiting.

Cast Members are not permitted to take control of service animals. Guests with service animals should follow the same attraction entrance guidelines as Guests who use wheelchairs.

Due to the nature of some attractions, service animals may not be permitted to ride. At these locations, please ask a Cast Member about available options, including Rider Switch with a member of your party or a portable kennel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2017 at 4:15 PM, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Disney supposedly allows service pets on attractions where they can safely ride. I always wondered what happened on attractions where that's not possible. Mystery solved. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I wondered about this as well. I have never seen a kennel at any ride. Even so, I would opt to take turns rather than using it.

I also wonder about having a service dog at that parks at all and what it would do to their paws to walk on asphalt all day long. In the summer, it seems like it would be downright animal cruelty. Even in cooler months, I would think the asphalt heats up from the sun and can't be good for them to walk on. And so many children at Disney that would want to pet the service dog. For a person with PTSD or anxiety issues, this could be a nightmare. The last thing those people want is other people noticing and approaching them. 

As much as the parks would be some of the top places certain kind of services from dogs are needed, I see so many issues with having them there. 

Does anyone here have a service dog? Take them to the parks? Any insight on the things I've mentioned? 

I forgot to post after I asked Twin #2 about this.  She spent the last year working part-time at Peter Pan and Small World.  She said that service animals are allowed on the Small World boats, but not on Peter Pan.  The reason is that if the Peter Pan ride has to be evacuated, there could be ladders and other equipment involved, and it's not safe for the CM's or animals.  That crate Beckers saw is kept backstage and brought out when needed.  Twin #2 said even rides that can accommodate service animals have the crates available as some owners prefer to crate their animals even if they could ride along.

I asked Twin #2 about some of the other rides that service animals are not allowed to ride- and it's pretty much any ride that has a restraint for the guest.  I asked her about the safari ride at AK.  To my surprise, service animals are allowed on that ride, but only on the trucks that have the roll-on set up for wheelchairs. The animal has to sit on the floor, not on a seat.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

... She said that service animals are allowed on the Small World boats, but not on Peter Pan.  The reason is that if the Peter Pan ride has to be evacuated, there could be ladders and other equipment involved, and it's not safe for the CM's or animals.  That crate Beckers saw is kept backstage and brought out when needed.  Twin #2 said even rides that can accommodate service animals have the crates available as some owners prefer to crate their animals even if they could ride along.

I asked Twin #2 about some of the other rides that service animals are not allowed to ride- and it's pretty much any ride that has a restraint for the guest.  I asked her about the safari ride at AK.  To my surprise, service animals are allowed on that ride, but only on the trucks that have the roll-on set up for wheelchairs. The animal has to sit on the floor, not on a seat.

TCD

Great info, thanks TCD!

12 hours ago, Roberta said:

I wondered about this as well. I have never seen a kennel at any ride. Even so, I would opt to take turns rather than using it.

I also wonder about having a service dog at that parks at all and what it would do to their paws to walk on asphalt all day long. In the summer, it seems like it would be downright animal cruelty. Even in cooler months, I would think the asphalt heats up from the sun and can't be good for them to walk on. And so many children at Disney that would want to pet the service dog. For a person with PTSD or anxiety issues, this could be a nightmare. The last thing those people want is other people noticing and approaching them. 

As much as the parks would be some of the top places certain kind of services from dogs are needed, I see so many issues with having them there. 

Does anyone here have a service dog? Take them to the parks? Any insight on the things I've mentioned? 

As a dog trainer, I go to many dog events and public, dog friendly events here in the scorching Texas summer.  Most people who have service dogs and performance dogs are very aware of the impact of hot asphalt on their dogs feet.   They generally take paths where they will be in the shade, or the dog has a grassy area to walk in.   If the dog has to hit the hot pavement, the owner will generally go quickly to the next patch of shade, and will otherwise be considerate of their dog's needs.

There are also options such as "Musher's Secret"  paw wax, which actually does help on hot pavement as well.  There are adhesive "paw saver's"  that you can train your dog to wear, or even dog boots if needed.

Now, I will admit, I have met some disabled owners who treat their dogs as nothing more than a tool.   It upsets me when I see people like this.  They do not form a bond with the dog at all,  they don't care about what the dog has to go through to serve them, and they don't take precautions for hot pavement or other dangers.  It's sad. I generally get the feeling that these people are mad they need to rely on anything or anyone for aid,  and are taking it out on the world.   These are the dogs that show up for re-training, because their handlers fail to reinforce them or encourage correct behavior.

For folks that have issues with PTSD and other social anxieties,  I would guess they have to come to terms with whether to take a dog to the parks or not.   There is not a good way to stop kids from wanting to say hi to the dog,  and even adults will approach.   Dogs are a great icebreaker, and human nature just doesn't allow much wiggle room for not acknowledging a great dog.   For those folks, I'd say enjoy the park without the dog may be the better option.

12 hours ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

As a dog trainer, I go to many dog events and public, dog friendly events here in the scorching Texas summer.  Most people who have service dogs and performance dogs are very aware of the impact of hot asphalt on their dogs feet.   They generally take paths where they will be in the shade, or the dog has a grassy area to walk in.   If the dog has to hit the hot pavement, the owner will generally go quickly to the next patch of shade, and will otherwise be considerate of their dog's needs.

The problem is, as the sun shifts, so does the shade. It's hard to tell if the pavement there is just as hot, even though it's currently in the shade. Also, dogs have a fur coat on year round, so it's a lot of time in the sun for them. They need to make ECVs with doggy sidecars with fans on them, to keep service dogs cool and off the pavement. 

Ours will more than likely go to Disney, even though it's a place she is really needed. I just see too many negatives, both for dog and handler. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:16 AM, Roberta said:

The problem is, as the sun shifts, so does the shade. It's hard to tell if the pavement there is just as hot, even though it's currently in the shade. Also, dogs have a fur coat on year round, so it's a lot of time in the sun for them. They need to make ECVs with doggy sidecars with fans on them, to keep service dogs cool and off the pavement. 

Ours will more than likely go to Disney, even though it's a place she is really needed. I just see too many negatives, both for dog and handler. 

I've seen all sizes of companion dogs in the parks, from big GSD size to the 4# sizes.  Most of them are wearing jackets stating they are a working dog.  I think as we see more and more dogs as helpers the questions will be less and we will learn not to pet them. 

Can't remember if I mentioned this before.  At Epcot a few months ago I saw several dogs and a PONY!  yes a pony, at the water splash area on the bridge.  They were in training to be assistant animals, getting use to crowds and weird things...the splash thing. 

On 1/29/2017 at 6:25 PM, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Can't remember if I mentioned this before.  At Epcot a few months ago I saw several dogs and a PONY!  yes a pony, at the water splash area on the bridge.  They were in training to be assistant animals, getting use to crowds and weird things...the splash thing. 

Wow, that would be a site to see! I would think it would be hard to travel with a pony, but still very cool. 

8 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I read before that some religions view dogs as dirty and they couldn't have a service dog because of this but a  pony is okay (and I think they live longer?)

Yes, perhaps twice as long as an average dog....however I don't know at what age a pony is ideally trained to be a service animal so am not sure how many additional years they might be able to serve over what a dog can serve.