From Moscow to Mickey – My Little Girl’s Journey to the Fort (DaveInTN and Family Spend Thanksgiving With The Fiends!)

It's a sad day when I have to fetch my secret password book because it's been so long since I've been on here and can't remember it!

I've been meaning to talk to you about that young lady.

I'm a little miffed Lou has never butt dialed me!

Me too because Liv should be before Monique on my contacts list. Maybe I have you as Olivia?

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, got the video on youtube. Will try posting here...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pei4x-yXMs&feature=youtu.be

Wow, you are good. I even want to camp with your family.

The Beginning January 16, 2008. The dead of winter in St. Petersburg, Russia. The sun rises around 10:00am and sets by 3:00pm. It is a cold and dark day. (How do I know this? They’re ALL cold and d

Loved the video! Stella is going to be a movie star! Can't wait for more. :)

Boy, I hope not Cherie. I don't care for movie stars. Can she grow up to be a Fiend? I like Fiends!

My namesake did an awesome job on that video!

I'm gonna have to buy stock in Kleenex or Puffs before this TR is over ...

Most Gwen's I know, and I don't know that many, are awesome people! It's a strong name.

I have a bike rack like that on top of my camper. I can load it pretty much while standing on the ground. Sometimes, I have to use a step-stool.

I cannot imagine loading the bikes on top of the chuch van fun bus. Seriously, you could get hurt doing that. I thought folks with TT's just throw their bikes in the trailer. Couldn't you have done that?

That would be too easy.

But seriously, it's not that bad. I have a great, lightweight aluminum step ladder that goes in the storage compartment of my trailer. And the bikes don't weigh that much. I have placed bikes into the trailer before, but don't like to do that on long trips when we will be overnighting. I would have to move them all outside overnight to get to our beds, and then back in in the morning. And they tend to leave grease marks on the carpet and fabrics, plus if they jostle around too much they mark up the place or can put holes in the furniture.

How's that for an argument? :rofl2:

So what's the deal on the fries at the Plaza restaurant? Do they have steak fries there?

So far, the only place we have found that hasn't been converted to Disney Fries is the Fish and Chips stand in Epcot.

Ed already answered your question...but yes, the Plaza has great fries. Not quite as thick as the old steak fries at TE, but still very good. I have more pics of them coming up later in this report.

Probably the night before you got your limp fries, I got a lone rider (enough food for 3 people, btw) and mistakenly chose the fries. They weren't limp, but they were so salty even someone like me who loves salt couldn't handle them. I ended up throwing them out. Loving the TR so far!

Salty wasn't an issue the night we went. In fact, they didn't taste like they had any salt on them at all.

LOVE the video!!!! To cute!!!

Also love the pics with the girls playing checkers on the porch........we love to sit on that porch and relax...........boy, I miss that porch.........

I know Heidi. That porch is one of the best places to relax on the planet.

pickey pickey I must be the only one who likes the fries, at least the only one who will admit it anyway.

oh and I didn't like the old six pack or six gun or six whatever in the show either, there I said it, I said it and I am at peace with that!

oh and great report

You are insane.

Loved the video it looks like the girls enjoy the ride down as much as being at WDW

Not all our rides go smoothly, but this was an especially easy trip.

Love the video

Thanks Lorna!!

Love the TR, love the video, love seeing families enjoying each other and WDW, esp. FW! :heart:

Thanks for reading along, Marty!

Next time you visit Chick-fil-a, you need to try to spicy chicken biscuit or sandwich! Yuummmmmm! And if you are really, really lucky, you might stop at one of the Chick-fil-a's that has Sweet Potato Fries! Super yummy and much better than those floppy fries you got at TE. The CFA in my town doesn't have the sweet potoato fries, but the one in my DD's town does. I have to get them every time I am in town, unless it is a Sunday...CFA is closed on Sunday. :(

I LOVE the spicy chicken biscuit Holly! In fact, I think that's what I got that morning. I am thinking that, because when the manager was talking to us about the upcoming tortilla soup, it was because he mentioned that they will finally have a use for the spicy chicken they cook that does not get used in biscuits. The regular chicken patties are "de-breaded" and used to make the next day's chicken salad. But the spicy chicken doesn't work for chicken salad. Hence, the tortilla soup.

It's a sad day when I have to fetch my secret password book because it's been so long since I've been on here and can't remember it!

Like everyone else, I've cried like a dang baby, but thankfully those tears quickly turned into hysterical laughing. Lance asked me if I was crying or laughing. I told him both!

I could say tons, but I'll just say that I'm so glad y'all ate at CfA! I'm not a big fan of Cracker Barrel. I've eaten southern cooking my whole 38 years so it's nothing special, not to mention my parents' southern cooking is a million times better!

Okay, one other thing and then I'll stop. I'm a little miffed Lou has never butt dialed me!

Carry on, bro!

We were never CB fans until somewhat recently. But it works fairly well with the low carb thing.

And I do love me some Chick Fil A!!!

Another great update!! I never had the steak fries, so I can't make a comparison. I just want to know why you didn't get the cowboy beans? ???? Oh, wait... never mind! ;)

You are a wise woman.

Our first morning at the Fort was a gorgeous one. INC and I did what we love to do every morning at the Fort...we enjoyed our coffee outside under the awning. The temps were a bit chilly that first morning, but nothing a sweatshirt or pullover couldn't handle.

I had made an ADR at Kona for breakfast at 9:50. We were up and ready much earlier than that, so we headed down to the Settlement, grabbed another cup of coffee from Trails End, and headed to the resort boat.

P1020458.JPG

P1020460.JPG

P1020461.JPG

P1020464.JPG

P1020465.JPG

We docked at the Contemporary and headed inside. After taking the elevator up to the 4th floor, we caught these CM's decorating this year's Gingerbread Tree.

P1020466.JPG

P1020467.JPG

P1020468.JPG

Now that's remarkable. Think about it. An enormous Christmas tree constructed of gingerbread and other edible items. 17 feet high! The design is inspired by the artwork of Mary Blair, who designed the characters of "it's a small world" as well as the huge mural on the wall of the Grand Concourse at the CR. Remarkable. And only at Disney. Those CM's are not amateurs. They are professionals. They don't come cheap. The materials are not cheap. (Imagine how much 136 pounds of honey costs?) People complain all the time (sometimes rightly so) about how expensive Disney is. I myself complain at times. But it is details like this tree that put that into perspective a bit. All of these things, like the tree, the gingerbread house at the GF, even the beautiful decorations that grace each and every bus stop at the Fort, cost Disney money. And Disney World would not be the same without them.

Ok, so after admiring the tree, we headed up one more floor to the monorail station and took off toward the Poly.

P1020469.JPG

Stella seems to end up in front of the camera often.

P1020470.JPG

We arrived at the Poly safe and sound via the high tech, highway in the sky!

Yes, Lou. I love the monorail. :rofl2:

And I also love the Poly. We seem to find ourselves there several times each trip. I'm not necessarily a fan of the overall design of the resort, with all the dark brown colors (although the Fort is full of dark brown paint and somehow I love it there :unsure: ), but the "feel" of the Poly is incredible to me. And I love the tropical landscaping.

P1020472.JPG

The Kona Coffee Bar always catches my eye. One of these days we are going to sit at the counter and just get pastries from this case.

P1020475.JPG

But to date, we have not done that. Maybe next trip.

We were quite early for our ADR (like 45 minutes early), but I checked in at the podium and they seated us within 5 minutes or so.

And within another couple minutes a carafe of their Kona blend coffee was sitting in front of me. :jumpforjoy

P1020477.JPG

I would love to try the french press pot of the real Kona someday. But INC is not a fan of french pressed coffee. And I don't want to drop $8 on coffee just for myself. But someday. Maybe when we get those pastries.

Anna was enjoying pulling her dress over her head.

P1020478.JPG

P1020479.JPG

I ordered the Steak and Eggs. It was pretty tasty.

P1020480.JPG

Stella and Isabel had Mickey pancakes.

P1020481.JPG

I expected the pancakes to be the standard Mickey shaped ones you see on Kids menus, but they way they did it here gave you a heck of a lot of pancakes! They both were stuffed.

INC had an omelet. She said it was good. We both swapped our breakfast potatoes out for fruit. Didn't want to be too weighed down at this point of the trip. Which is why neither of us ordered the Tonga Toast. Even though we both wanted the Tonga Toast.

We would remedy that later in the trip.

But on this morning, one of the DaveInTN gang did order Tonga Toast.

P1020482.JPG

And she wasn't sharing! :popo:

After all that food, we were quite sasified heading back to the monorail. For the trip back, we took the monorail to the MK to hop the Fort boat from there.

When you are visiting WDW and not planning on doing any parks, is it cruel and unusual punishment to march your kids right past the front gate without going in? :rofl3:

Regardless, we soon were on a boat headed back to the Fort.

P1020484.JPG

Won't be too long and this boat will be gone forever.

P1020485.JPG

P1020486.JPG

I thought this was a cool looking boat.

P1020487.JPG

And that was that. Our first morning was a hit. We were back at the Fort for some downtime. I spent the rest of the morning/early afternoon decorating the site, and we then awaited the arrival of a guest.

Coming up...I'm A Blessed Man!

Anna was enjoying pulling her dress over her head.

P1020478.JPG

P1020479.JPG

This is the reason why I don't wear dresses! It's cute when Anna does it though.

Love you & Anna in this picture. I think you have an unfair advantage in the TR department, with those beautiful girls. :popo:

I only get pictures of drunken fiends with red solo cups. (Though some of them are awfully cute too) :))

Hey, where's the mom of these six girls?

Oh wait, one is the mom, kinda hard to tell.

Lou must have gotten up on the right side of the bed this morning :)

Breakfast looks delicious! We don't often do breakfast on vacation. It usually turned into brunch by the time we got our acts in gear. But I keep saying I'd like to make it to the Poly one of these days for breakfast. Your pics make me want to seriously put that on the list for the next trip!

Sorry Dave but I see a future movie star here. :heart:

P1020465.JPG

And from Allearsnet. for It's Not Cindy

Recipe

Tonga Toast

Kona Cafe

Polynesian Resort

Ingredients:

2 or 4 slices sourdough bread, cut 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick

1 banana

1/3 cup sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 egg

1/4 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

oil or shortening for frying

whipped butter and/or syrup

Method:

Cut a 1-inch pocket in one side of each bread slice. Cut banana in half crosswise, then split each piece lengthwise. Remove peel and stuff two pieces of fruit in each pocket of bread; set aside. Mix sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Mix together well the egg, milk and vanilla.

Heat about 4 inches of oil in a pan to 350º F. Dip stuffed bread into egg/milk mixture and let it soak a few seconds to let penetrate bread. Fry bread on both sides in hot oil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels or wire rack. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve.

Oh no Lou, you didn't :rofl2:

I had the pancakes at Kona this last trip, and if you know me you know I am persnickety about my pancakes (most places don't know how to make them) well they know how to make them there. I give then my 5 Bobs (in case you care).

I know the feeling about going past the gates without going in, this last trip I didn't go in at all. Soooo close yet sooooooo very far away! Its kinda mean if you ask me!

Ohhh those smiles of the Statz girls!

Sorry Dave but I see a future movie star here. :heart:

P1020465.JPG

And from Allearsnet. for It's Not Cindy

Recipe

Tonga Toast

Kona Cafe

Polynesian Resort

Ingredients:

Awesome...definitely gunna try this. Thanks!

2 or 4 slices sourdough bread, cut 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick

1 banana

1/3 cup sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 egg

1/4 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

oil or shortening for frying

whipped butter and/or syrup

Method:

Cut a 1-inch pocket in one side of each bread slice. Cut banana in half crosswise, then split each piece lengthwise. Remove peel and stuff two pieces of fruit in each pocket of bread; set aside. Mix sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Mix together well the egg, milk and vanilla.

Heat about 4 inches of oil in a pan to 350º F. Dip stuffed bread into egg/milk mixture and let it soak a few seconds to let penetrate bread. Fry bread on both sides in hot oil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels or wire rack. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve.

Oh no Lou, you didn't :rofl2:

I had the pancakes at Kona this last trip, and if you know me you know I am persnickety about my pancakes (most places don't know how to make them) well they know how to make them there. I give then my 5 Bobs (in case you care).

I know the feeling about going past the gates without going in, this last trip I didn't go in at all. Soooo close yet sooooooo very far away! Its kinda mean if you ask me!

Ohhh those smiles of the Statz girls!

Is it just me or does TNBob like the word "persnickety"?

Is it just me or does TNBob like the word "persnickety"?

I think the length of the word has something to do with the speed of his cart. The longer the word, the longer it takes to say, the further you travel in Bob's cart while he is saying it. This way it seems like you are going faster than you are.