David and Gwen Battle the Spring Break Crowds

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We interrupt this program to bring you a special report. Lou doesn't have a bald spot any more!

I am really enjoying your TR, Gwen. You take wonderful pictures! I'm all caught up now and ready for more!!

Cherie! I've been worried about you because you haven't been posting much lately! Glad you're here!

Still following along and enjoying.

Thank you!

I lol'ed......great report!

Thanks! Glad I could make you laugh.

Awesome MK day!!! Having some "alone" time in a vacation is always good!!

It was so great. I'm gonna have to figure out how to do it again!

Gwen,

Your grandchildren are beautiful! I am amazed on the height of your eldest!!! WOW!!!!

Looks like you had a great time in the Magic Kingdom.

Heidi

Thanks, Heidi, for saying my grandchildren are beautiful. I think so, but you know grandmothers are prejudiced. I'm amazed at his height too. Especially when I stand beside him and don't come up to his shoulders!

What great pictures! Your TR has made my lunch hour much more enjoyable!!!

And with some squinting and imagination (as directed) I could see the dancing ghosts (I could hear the music in my head too).

Ooh, I forgot about the music!

:rofl2:

You don't have to worry about that. I'm just grateful that people are looking at it. Makes the time I'm spending on it more worthwhile.

Don't worry about him Gwen, he doesn't read anyway. One ? I had was did you plan this trip knowing a lot of spring breakers would be there? Would you plan this time again? I went last Sunday and Monday to MK and I was miserable. I have gone from seasonal pass to AP to PAP back to AP and now back to SP because I hate the crowds.

Don't worry about him Gwen, he doesn't read anyway. One ? I had was did you plan this trip knowing a lot of spring breakers would be there? Would you plan this time again? I went last Sunday and Monday to MK and I was miserable. I have gone from seasonal pass to AP to PAP back to AP and now back to SP because I hate the crowds.

Don't let Lou fool you! He may not read every word, but he sure keeps up with what's going on here.

We had planned to make this trip the first two weeks of February. Then my father had pneumonia the first part of January and spent a month in the hospital and in rehab recuperating. We didn't feel like we could leave my parents right after he came home, so we postponed the trip for a month. We knew spring breaks were starting, but we had no idea how bad the crowds would be! I would never make this trip again!

That being said, I'm glad we went. We really needed the time away, and there's no better place to unwind. And we had the added bonus of the F&GF.

Saturday, March 10 – David and I Go Our Separate Ways - Part 2

That afternoon David and Kassie took a nap and I went to AK alone. Thankfully I had a different driver. There was no one else on the bus! Kinda wierd.

20120310Mealoneonbus.jpg

My mission was to see FOTLK.

20120310FOTLK01.jpg

20120310FOTLK03.jpg

20120310FOTLK04.jpg

20120310FOTLK05.jpg

20120310FOTLK06.jpg

20120310FOTLK07.jpg

20120310FOTLK08.jpg

20120310FOTLK09.jpg

20120310FOTLK10.jpg

When I got back to Dolly I had a great surprise!

20120310Spiked.jpg

WE HAD BEEN SPIKED! Lou brought it by. I was so sorry we missed him! Meanwhile David couldn't quite understand why I was so excited. But after I explained it all to him he was very happy too. We have a piece of fort history! Thank you again, Lou and TCD!

After dinner in Dolly we went to MK to get David some ice cream.

20120310MKnightcastle.jpg

The parlor was closed again! (After we got home I found out it had been closed for renovations.) I felt really bad for him … Saturday just didn’t go his way.

So we took the monorail to the Contemporary where he got a cookie and coffee.

We rode a boat back to FW during EWP. Saw it and the MK fireworks from Clementine Beach. This photo is especially for Lou:

20120310EWP1.jpg

And just as the fireworks were beginning:

20120310Fireworks.jpg

My camera battery died! I was so disappointed! I had taken about 275 pics that day without recharging. My fault.

Saturday was a WONDERFUL day for me, a not good day for David.

Don’t tell David I said this … but I had an absolute blast going solo.

I went where I wanted when I wanted and didn’t have to worry about pleasing anyone else.

I stopped for a break whenever I felt like it without having anyone fuming about it.

I forgot all about my problems and demands on my time at home and just focused on what made me happy for awhile.

It was heaven.

Next up … will this rain ever end?

There was no one else on the bus! Kinda wierd.

20120310Mealoneonbus.jpg

After the morning rush and before people start leaving the parks, buses are riding around mostly empty, especially AK buses.

When I got back to Dolly I had a great surprise!

20120310Spiked.jpg

WE HAD BEEN SPIKED! Lou brought it by. I was so sorry we missed him! Meanwhile David couldn't quite understand why I was so excited. But after I explained it all to him he was very happy too. We have a piece of fort history! Thank you again, Lou and TCD!

Your welcome.

We rode a boat back to FW during EWP.

This photo is especially for Lou:

20120310EWP1.jpg

Thanks for nothing Gwen. Give me back that spike.

You got spiked, how awesome!

I usually get a little solo time each trip while DH and the kids take off to do something....I love it! The kids always feel bad "leaving mom all alone" but DH knows how much I love being alone in the parks (especially Epcot) so he makes sure I get some time to myself.

By the way, your grandchildren are beautiful.

Still following along Gwen.

Lion King is one of my favorite shows. It's great that you had some "you" time, we all need that once in a while.

Keep up the good work!

Yeah what Stef said. I recommend the Lion King show to anyone headed to Disney. I think it is one of their best shows.

You got spiked, how awesome!

I usually get a little solo time each trip while DH and the kids take off to do something....I love it! The kids always feel bad "leaving mom all alone" but DH knows how much I love being alone in the parks (especially Epcot) so he makes sure I get some time to myself.

By the way, your grandchildren are beautiful.

Thank you! It's great that your DH gives you some alone time. We all need it!

I'm glad you had such a great day. Your pictures are awesome, too bad you battery died. AND YAY!! You finally got spiked!!!!

Thank you, Cherie! Yes, I'm so excited about getting spiked! I'm "official" now!

Awesome pics Gwen!! Looks like a nice day for you, and WTG on getting spiked!!!!!

Hopefully David will have a better solo day next trip :)

Thanks, Carol. Not sure if he will try soloing again. Hopefully he will.

What a great report so far! How nice to get to hang out by yourself for a while!

Thank you, Misty!

Yeah what Stef said. I recommend the Lion King show to anyone headed to Disney. I think it is one of their best shows.

I recommend the Lion King show too, but unfortunately David doesn't think it's great. That's one reason he didn't go with me. His favorite show? Nemo! He was blown away by it.

Sunday, March 11 – A Rainy Day

We slept in - till almost 9! It's rare that I sleep past 5 am, especially in Disney World. All that fun yesterday really wore me out.

It rained all day.

We had breakfast at TE again (won't bore you with more pictures -- they all look the same) -- well, I'll sneak in just one picture:

20120311Mickeywaffle.jpg

I broke down and ate the ears off a Mickey waffle! It was so good! So light and crispy! I could have inhaled several of them, but I've been low carbing so long and I know the consequences of a binge. Not pleasant.

And then we visited Family of Bears aka Brandy and her family. They were packing up to leave early because of the rain, so we didn't get to visit long. They are a beautiful family! So glad we met them!

We decided to visit the Disney store at Prime Outlets. It took us over an hour to get there! What is it, two miles off Disney property??? Traffic was unreal!

20120311traffic.jpg

But we did get some bargains -- 5 items for a total of $43 -- retail price over $170! It was soooo crowded at the outlets. Guess everyone decided to shop instead of hitting the parks because of the rain.

Then we drove over to EPCOT. The tram came to pick us up, but we didn't ride it because the seats were so wet. So we made the long, long hike to the entrance. We went back to Norway briefly

20120311Norway2.jpg

20120311Norwayashkerhauswindow.jpg

and then on to China.

20120311China01.jpg

DSCN0484.jpg

20120311China02.jpg

20120311China03.jpg

20120311China04.jpg

20120311China05.jpg

We finished up WS with Mexico.

20120311Mexico01.jpg

20120311Mexico02.jpg

20120311Mexico03.jpg

20120311Mexico04.jpg

We stopped at Club Cool and tried Beverly ... another first.

DSCN0508.jpg

It wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined.

A few more shots of F&GF:

20120311Mickeytopiary.jpg

20120311Donaldtopiary.jpg

20120311Daisytopiary.jpg

DSCN0471.jpg

DSCN0470.jpg

Shopped again at MouseGear and got Cailyn's birthday present. She wanted an Ariel doll.

Stopped by the rest room on the way out to stock up on paper towels to dry the tram seats. We hadn't ridden a tram there in 30 years ... it was an experience.

Hunted for the car and finally found it. Was beginning to wonder if we would!

We stopped by the Meadow Trading Post on the way back to get David a fort sweatshirt, but they didn't have his size. He was disappointed. But I did get my Musket Mickey pressed penny.

20120311Fort03.jpg

20120311Fort04.jpg

20120311Fort02.jpg

20120311Fort01.jpg

20120311Fort05.jpg

What's wrong with this sign?

20120311whatswrongwiththis.jpg

Went back to Dolly, cooked dinner, and stayed in. The rain had stopped, but David yet again didn't feel well enough to go to another park that night. Wish I had gone by myself.

Sorry there aren't more photos. The rain was just too heavy at times to bring the camera out. It's hard to shoot pictures and hold an umbrella at the same time.

Up next? A great day!