This life is just a test .... Now pass me a beer.

Even though we went back to WDW in May 2011, I’ve really been planning this trip since our last trip to the Fort in March 2010. That report is back over on voldemort, but in a nutshell it was my dad and wonderful stepmom (Paw Paw and Buddy), my step-sister Marie, her husband Daniel and their oldest Ryan; my brother’s oldest child Evan; my step-brother’s oldest son Brad; and my two DDs (Danielle and Jody) and me. That was a great trip, but we were missing several key players.

Ever since that trip, I’ve been looking forward to our next big family trip to FW, but really hoping we’d be able to fill in the gaps in the family of people who weren’t there last time. My amazingly Disneyfied DH Ray needed to come; plus my brother, whose real name (believe it or not) in our family is Tiger, and Tiger’s youngest Elise (6 years old); plus Brad’s dad (my stepbrother) Michael, Michael’s wife Susan and their youngest John; and finally the youngest member of this extended family, Stephen, who is the youngest son of Daniel and Marie. If you’re paying attention, you’ll find grandparents, parents, children, grandchildren, aunts, uncles, step-relatives, half-relatives, and all other sorts of combinations we can put together.

So, believe it or not, we did it! All 4 children of Buddy and Paw Paw, plus all spouses of those children, plus all 8 grandchildren made it this time. 17 of us in all. :P

So, here’s the cast of characters:

My family – Ray, Danielle (15), Jody (13, but taller than her sister (and me too)), and me: (Ray and I were actually going to get a picture with just us, but the girls decided to photobomb us – love it)

Photo0024FourBySix.jpg

Tiger and his kids, Evan (9) and Elise (6) (dimples run strong through some portions of this family):

disney-Les096.jpg

Marie and Daniel and their sons Ryan (7) and Stephen (4):

Photo0022FourBySix.jpg

Michael and Susan and their boys John (5) and Brad (17):

Photo0129FourBySix.jpg

And most importantly, the ones that this trip wouldn’t have happened without, Buddy and Paw Paw:

disney-Les268.jpg

Finally, about the name of this report. My dad, for reasons unknown to me, spent much of this trip saying at random times, "This life is just a test. Otherwise, we would be told what to do and where to go all the time." This was usually said sometime in the afternoon or evening, when his theme park day was over and his drinking day had begun. I'm really not sure what he meant, but it sure seemed profound. I was struggling about what to title this report when I remembered that refrain of his. So, there you have it.

There you go with the introductions! Next up, lots of travel!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even though we went back to WDW in May 2011, I’ve really been planning this trip since our last trip to the Fort in March 2010. That report is back over on voldemort, but in a nutshell it was my dad

Here’s a video bonus – this was taken around dinnertime Sunday while Ray and I were at dinner. This is the kind of fun that I love about going to WDW. I call it the “Cousin Song”: http://youtu.be/Hl

Maybe I should read this TR.

How cool that you got to travel with the family. I would love to do that, but I'm positive that someone would get hurt and or arrested. :))

I would love to hear how your brother was named Tiger if you'd like to share.

Your girls are really growing! Weren't they the ones who always made the silly faces in photos?

Looking forward to the fun.

Yay! I have readers! I'm always scared no one will read or comment when I start one of these. :ph34r:

I'm not talented enough to reply to every comment, but I do have to answer a few questions:

Donnie, I couldn't believe I didn't see you this time! It just didn't seem like the trip was complete without a visit with you!

About my brother's name, we honestly don't know how it started, other than he pretty much came home from the hospital from being born with the name. Growing up, I was never "Leslie", I was "Tiger's sister", as in "Oh, I know you - you're Tiger's sister". ::) Ever since I went off to college, he has been one of my best friends in the world. It didn't look like he was going to be able to come on this trip but at the last minute, he figured out he could come. I was so happy he was there!

Finally, Brandy, you're not the first one to want to be adopted by Buddy and Paw Paw. If you ever had one of Paw Paw's meals, you'd want to be adopted even more!

More soon! Thanks for reading!

First, Happy Easter everyone!

Thursday, March 15 – Saturday, March 17:

Last trip, Buddy and Paw Paw drove the whole way down in one day, got to the Fort after dark, and were really beat up the next day. So this time, they broke the drive up over two days, and I think it worked out much better for them. They spent the night near Lake City, I think. This was the first trip for their new 5th wheel and they were a little anxious to see if everything worked the way they hoped, but happily, it did!

A little reservation background that sounds tedious, but I have a point in saying it: At the last minute, I had given our reservations to Feisty through connections here on FF (thanks, Donnie!). I was a little nervous about it as I have always booked all WDW myself and didn’t know Feisty at all, other than through seeing things here and there about her, but Donnie recommended her highly. Suffice it to say that I am so glad I did! She saved me money by getting a significantly better rate on the cabin than I had been able to myself. Plus, when Buddy and Paw Paw arrived, they were initially given a site in 1100 like I had requested, but when the CM looked in the truck and saw their teeny, tiny dog, they relocated them to 900. Since we had people staying both in a camper and in a cabin, we were hoping for sites in the 1100 and 2100 loops, so the kids could easily move from one to the other. When Buddy and Paw Paw were relocated, Buddy called me, I called Feisty, Feisty called the Fort, and we were immediately put back in the 1100 loop - 1120. :dance: It was a perfect site for them- right by the comfort station, big pad (which came in handy at times with 3 trucks, the 5th wheel and a big Kenny golf cart) and lots of shade. So, thanks to Feisty, we got exactly what we wanted and saved a good bit of money too. Thanks, Feisty!!!

Anyway, Buddy and Paw Paw were the first to arrive at the Fort on Friday, March 16. Once at their site, they got set up and started relaxing and enjoying the Fort. I was still at work and soooo jealous of them already being there. They were able to retrieve the 6 seater golf cart (which unofficially holds a lot more people than just 6) I had arranged with Kenny and do some looping, eating, drinking and chilling.

Meanwhile, a big group started their trip down on Friday. This consisted of Tiger, Marie and Daniel and all their kids. All seven of them shared a big room somewhere along the way Friday night and planned to make it to the Fort by early Saturday afternoon.

Friday night pictures for the travelers:

Picture050.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Meanwhile, I was about to have a fit to get started on our trip. My family usually flies, as I can’t take that much time off work (or at least don’t want to lose a couple of days traveling when I could be playing). I woke throughout the night – too excited to sleep, as usual. We were out the door at 5:40 a.m. and to and through the airport with no problems. Since it was the first day of spring break, the girls ran into lots of their friends at airport heading all over the place. There were many hugs and exchanges of plans for spring break. Even though there were people going to NYC and other cool destinations, I was thrilled to be heading back to the Fort and WDW.

I was accused by Danielle of being a stalker for taking this one of Jody:

disney-Les025.jpg

disney-Les026.jpg

We arrived at MCO around 10:00 a few minutes ahead of schedule. As usual, we had arranged for Sunray to pick us up, and he was there waiting for us right on time. We stopped off at the Publix, where it is amazing how much money can be spent in just 30 minutes ($330!), and then we were off to the Fort!

We arrived before noon, got checked in easily, and got the exact cabin that Judy had promised – 2120. The cabin was ready, so we did a quick unload of bags and groceries, and then headed off to surprise Buddy and Paw Paw.

I found this guy while checking in:

disney-Les027.jpg

Heading from the cabin to the camper, with all the girls’ stuff since they’d likely be staying there most nights:

disney-Les030.jpg

disney-Les031.jpg

Surprise!

disney-Les033.jpg

disney-Les034.jpg

disney-Les035.jpg

disney-Les036.jpg

disney-Les037.jpg

disney-Les038.jpg

After our fun reunion, we had some sandwiches outside on a beautiful day, and then Paw Paw started making noise about taking what would be the first of many naps for this trip. The girls even caught big naps in their hammocks. We were waiting on the next group to arrive, so Ray and I headed off on a ride on Buddy and Paw Paw’s tandem. Happily, there were no wipeouts, though I’m sure I screamed a few times.

Jody:

disney-Les048.jpg

Danielle:

disney-Les049.jpg

disney-Les057.jpg

disney-Les058.jpg

disney-Les059.jpg

While we were waiting on the driving groups to arrive, I got this text from Tiger:

“Remind me - Which Disney park has a reputation for a high concentration of hot, drunk, divorced women, and will we go there today?” :bugeyes: Yup, he’s single and awfully good looking. Even he, though, wasn’t able to start any short or long term relationship on this trip, though. :flush2:

When Earl, Marie, Daniel and the kids got close, I had to talk them in from DTD to the Fort. Somehow they got completely turned around and probably added most of an hour to their trip after they got to the Orlando area. Finally, they made it!

Tiger and Elise:

disney-Les091.jpg

Evan and Elise

disney-Les063.jpg

Daniel, Stephen and Ryan

disney-Les066.jpg

It was officially time for a swim. Marie started unpacking her family into the cabin while all the rest of us headed to the Meadows pool. It was great. Everyone has stressful lives at home, so it was so much fun to see everyone so relaxed. Earl in particular seemed more relaxed than I have seen him in a long time.

disney-Les077.jpg

disney-Les073.jpg

disney-Les076.jpg

disney-Les080.jpg

disney-Les083.jpg

disney-Les084.jpg

Picture052.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Ray always surprises me at WDW in general and at FW in particular. At home, he’s not much for crowds, lots of kids, noisy places, etc. But, he absolutely loves it there. We had a lot of fun just relaxing at the pool, enjoying the weather and mainly enjoying being with each other. Ray and I were probably even more relaxed than the others since we were the only ones that don’t have little kids. (Sometimes it’s fun being the older guys.)

disney-Les079.jpg

Next, it was time for fun in the 1100 loop:

Picture056.jpg

Picture058.jpg

After hanging out at the cabin a little to get a little more settled in, we headed back to Buddy and Paw Paw’s for a great dinner of BBQ, slaw and corn. (Sorry I have no food pictures of kitties yet, but there will be a few serious food pics for you later.)

disney-Les086.jpg

Picture059.jpg

My favorite part of each meal was watching the parade of kids taking their plates to the trash/recycling area – somehow it cracked me up every time.

disney-Les087.jpg

disney-Les088.jpg

disney-Les090.jpg

After supper, it was time to finally hit the MK. This was a first trip for both Stephen and his cousin John (who was arriving the next day), so it was fun getting to be with Stephen on his first trip to the MK. Buddy and Paw Paw stayed behind, but everyone else there so far went.

First, we caught a beautiful sunset on our way over:

disney-Les093.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Picture060.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Picture065.jpg

Daniel and Marie:

Picture069.jpg

We made it!

Photo0003FourBySix.jpg

First timer and his dad:

Picture074.jpg

Picture073.jpg

It was 8:00 when we got there and pretty crowded, so we just did Monsters Inc. and Buzz, but it was fun. We had an early morning the next morning, so we didn’t want to stay out too late. We got to see a little of the parade on our way out.

disney-Les099.jpg

disney-Les103.jpg

disney-Les104.jpg

disney-Les107.jpg

It was a sleepier ride back than the way there:

Picture079.jpg

Picture081.jpg

Note the loose tooth being wiggled. You’ll see a lot more of this in the days to come. Grossed me out every time.

Picture080.jpg

Got a great view of the EWP at the GF:

disney-Les108.jpg

Each night we were there, a different combination of kids slept at the cabin. This night, Danielle, Ryan and Stephen stayed at the cabin with Daniel and Marie, Ray and me, while Buddy, Paw Paw, Tiger, Evan and Elise slept at the camper. Ryan and Stephen shared the bottom bunk, which was pretty cute.

While I watched the fireworks through the trees from our cabin deck, Ray read a bedtime story to Stephen.

Picture083.jpg

We then watched a little Stacy on TV, had bedtime snacks, got some great free internet, and then everyone sacked out. A great first day, and everyone was excited about tomorrow, when the final group would arrive.

Next up, Hollywood Studios for early EMH plus the rest of our group!