Love these pics Nicki. I've been to all of those places! American History museum was my favorite, Air & Space probably my least.

It's a shame that you missed Arlington National Cemetery. Very moving!!

Because of my "terrified of heights" issue, I did NOT go up inside the Washington monument. I stayed at the bottom and ate ice cream. ;D

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The four of you, who will remain nameless, Cherie, Dave, Bob, and Bill, have taken a perfectly innocent TR and brought it down to the depths of depravity and vulgarism that is beneath even the four of

I think I can help out here. I'm not real strong in my Russian, but I do believe it translates to "hey, the f*ing dog pooped in the trailer and I'm out of vodka."

Looks like a good option also! Thanks!!

Great pictures, Nicki. Mr. Artsy Fartsy did good. I'm sorry your feet gave out on you, I feel your pain. I have never been to DC so this tour was a real treat!

glad you enjoyed it and your feet were spared

If you make it back into DC, here are couple of hints.

1. If you want something cheap and quick for lunch check out the carts outside the Agencies. An example is the USDA had one outside of the main building where you could get a hotdog, chips and canned drink for 2.50. Granted that was 2006, but a killer of a deal back then too.

2. Speaking of hotdogs, try the half smokes, I miss the half smokes.....

3. If you are hading to the National Zoo on the Metro, use the Cleveland stop vs the zoo stop, the cleveland stop is a easier walk.

4. If you are near Dulles, check out the Hazy Center, it is free also, but they do charge for parking. Was $12 in 2006/2007 and there was a McD's in the museum then. If you are downtown and want to check out Hazy, they use to run shuttles from Air and Space on the Mall to Hazy. Not sure if they still do.

5. Check out the Air Force momument if you have time, awesome view of the mall.

6. The Pentagon 9-11 Memorial is breathtaking. Take tissues. Can access it by walking from the AF memorial, Arlinton Cemetary or Metro Yellow or Blue lines.

My son and myself did a tour of DC back in 2005. We took something called Tourmobile. (I think it is run by somebody else now).

For $30 for two days, we rode in air conditioned comfort to all the monuments and a lot of the museums. The bus had designated stops with unlimited on and off.

We started at Union Station the first day, with many stops and worked our way down to Arlington Cemetary.

We started the next day at Arlington Cemetary, and worked our way back up to Union Station.

I remember the American History Museum, the Holocaust Museum (VERY MOVING and thought provoking), the Washington Monument (just outside), a walk by the White House, the WWII Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, and we took a mini tour on a bus through Arlington Cemetary with a visit to Kennedy's gravesite and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

The first day was awesome and the tour worked exactly as it should. However, the 2nd day was VERY hot, and when we got off at one of our stops, we had to wait for about 4 buses to get back on, as folks were just staying on the bus. At that point, we too just stayed on and listened to the narration on the bus.

We were staying at a KOA nearby, (in a Kamping Kabin), but didn't take the shuttle in, we drove the truck to an outlying metro parking lot and took the metro into DC.

good tips to help on our next visit and for those who are planning to go there

Love these pics Nicki. I've been to all of those places! American History museum was my favorite, Air & Space probably my least.

It's a shame that you missed Arlington National Cemetery. Very moving!!

Because of my "terrified of heights" issue, I did NOT go up inside the Washington monument. I stayed at the bottom and ate ice cream. ;D

Well... I don't think Arlington will happen this trip but the kids and I are going into the zoo.

I didn't get to go into the Washington Monument either.. still in good company.

Is that also the reason your short? :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

We are at Capitol KOA. They offer a shuttle for $12.50 into DC. From there you'd have to find another tour. We made the reservations late and they were the closest with full hookups we could find... it's painful the price. However, they do have a lifeguard at the pool, a jump floor, a nice playground, decent laundry...

I would really recommend the tour and to plan for more than one day in DC... just make sure they aren't back to back days.

Thanks! That sounds great ! We are hoping to go to DC in September(if our house sells)...planning on a week or more. We have never taken the time to explore the musems. Going to look up the campground right now...I'm sure there will be sticker shock!

I didn't get to go into the Washington Monument either.. still in good company.

From when we were there, the Washington Monument is hard to get into even when it's open. I vaguely remember a lot of places you had to be there early in the morning, (like 7am) and get a ticket (kinda like a FastPass), to visit later in the day. Some tours of places were strictly request tickets from your congressman or senator in advance.

From when we were there, the Washington Monument is hard to get into even when it's open. I vaguely remember a lot of places you had to be there early in the morning, (like 7am) and get a ticket (kinda like a FastPass), to visit later in the day. Some tours of places were strictly request tickets from your congressman or senator in advance.

I am not fussed. Although I did miss the Ranger Led Programs. You learned absolutely nothing about any of the Monuments because there was no one there to talk to you. We did just miss you at the Vietnam Wall.....

In 2006 you could go to the NPS website and pre purchase the a pass for a tour at an alloted time. It was $3 for two tickets. Those that were not prepurchased were first come first served the morning of the tours.

Once again that was 2006, so don't know if applicable when/if the monument is opened back up to the public.

Thanks! That sounds great ! We are hoping to go to DC in September(if our house sells)...planning on a week or more. We have never taken the time to explore the musems. Going to look up the campground right now...I'm sure there will be sticker shock!

Check out Lake Fairfax Park's campgrounds. We're hoping to stay there for a few days before we leave for the fort at then end of June. It's reasonably priced but doesn't have a shuttle that I know of. Everyone I've talked to who's stayed there really enjoyed it and the Water Mine waterpark connected with it is very nice for this area of the country. They're closing loops over the next year to build new comfort stations and update sites so availability will vary after July but they will remain open. Hopefully we'll find a few days to pop down this month before that starts...

http://www.fairfaxco...ax/fairfaxcamp/

Check out Lake Fairfax Park's campgrounds. We're hoping to stay there for a few days before we leave for the fort at then end of June. It's reasonably priced but doesn't have a shuttle that I know of. Everyone I've talked to who's stayed there really enjoyed it and the Water Mine waterpark connected with it is very nice for this area of the country. They're closing loops over the next year to build new comfort stations and update sites so availability will vary after July but they will remain open. Hopefully we'll find a few days to pop down this month before that starts...

http://www.fairfaxco...ax/fairfaxcamp/

Looks like a good option also! Thanks!!

I stayed there last year on business, nice little campground.

100_3103.jpg

100_3102.jpg

100_3101.jpg

100_3100.jpg

100_3098.jpg

100_3097.jpg

100_3096.jpg

100_3095.jpg

100_3094.jpg

100_3093.jpg

100_3092-1.jpg

100_3091-1.jpg

100_3090-1.jpg

100_3089-1.jpg

Another great update....cant wait to see what else is on tap!

Yes, Carol did post a great update. I love the fact that we help each other so much here at ff.net. :heartsmiley: Not only did we get some great recommendations for other RV parks, Carol posted a complete picture update :heartsmiley: for me while I was at the Zoo.... (Frankly wish I'd have found that other campground....)

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Nicki, if I remember correctly, the sites are electric only, but the water fill and the dump station was right across from my site as was the dump station, but it looks like they are upgrading!

Yeah, we couldn't have done that one. Which is probably why I didn't find it.... It appears like we will be upgrading too....

POP QUIZ TIME - Let's test that noodle.

1. How many Civilians died at Gettysburg?

2. How many fought with the soldiers?

3. Which side did they fight for?

4. Approximately how many shots were fired during the battle?

5. How far away could the cannons be heard on the final day of battle?

6. How many days did the battle last?

7. What did the North call the day after the battle?

8. What did the South call the Civil War?

9. What did Lincoln do after Gettysburg and why?

10. How many pages of notes did I have to take?