The TCD gang Pops over to WDW

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vinylmation and Monorails combined, my dream has come true.

I can't read this. I'm way too busy.

I'm feeling nauseas.

I could prolong the suspense and let more people guess about where we ended up having dinner on Friday night.

Or I could go ahead and post the next update.

I aim to please, so we will go with the next update.

When we got to the MK, it wasn't raining, but the clouds were still hanging around.

The weather "experts" on the news had told us all that big storms were yet to roll in.

So, I wasn't keen on taking the boat over to the Fort.

On rare occasion, they suspend the boats because of weather.

If this ended up being one of those rare occasions, then that wouldn't be fun.

So, we hopped aboard the monorail and headed to the Poly.

There was a nice family with two kids eating kids meals hogging half of the chairs at the sushi bar, and the other chairs were occupied.

So we had to sit at the adjacent bar which overlooks the monorail station.

We have never sat here, and it ended up being kind of cool. We got to watch the impressive and cool monorails zip efficiently by as we dined.

The Avenger monorail was on the resort track. So, we got to see it go around several times. I don't usually pay attention to these things, but we kept track of the colors of the monorails as they passed so we could impress onlookers by saying that the Avenger monorail would be arriving next. There were four monorails on the resort track that night, and I was surprised by how often they came and went.

Since we were in Hawaii, well sort of anyway, I enjoyed a nice Mai Tai:

IMG_0701.jpg

That is the view we had- the monorail station is right outside. We could also see the walkway below leading to the lobby. Great people watching here!

It still amazes me that I eat sushi now. My whole life up until just recently, I was they guy who would joke about people eating sushi going to the Bait Shop. But, my oldest DD started to eat it with her friends, and then the younger ones joined in, and finally we all started to eat it.

Here at the sushi bar, you can also order off of the regular Kona menu. Twin #2 wanted to try a noodle dish they have on the menu there, so that is what she had:

IMG_1290.jpg

I ordered the California roll. The twist they include here is that they put some pineapple in it:

IMG_1291.jpg

Twin #1 went all in and ordered the spicy tuna roll:

IMG_1292.jpg

Yes, that is raw tuna. And the pink stuff around the tuna rolls is a spicy shrimp salad. And those little orange things are fish eggs.

Maybe I wasn't far off with that Bait Shop comment.

We enjoyed our meal thoroughly.

As we were finishing up, the luau let out, and there was a long line for the monorail.

We decided to take a look in the gift shop and do some wandering around until the line died down.

I saw something in the gift shop that made me think of my good buddy, Lou.

It would be the perfect gift for him.

It combines two things I know he loves- Vinylmation and Monorails.

Look:

IMG_0702.jpg

Here's the Mater one:

IMG_0705.jpg

Lou would love this!

Soon enough the line was gone, and we headed over to the MK.

The girls and I got some Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom cards, and off we went.

We spent quite a bit of time playing that game.

It is really growing on me.

One thing that I really enjoy is seeing all of the geeks who are really in to the game. They walk around with little books holding all of their cards, and really seem to be in to the whole thing.

It was recently announced that the Orange Bird character has been re-introduced at the Sunshine Tree Terrace quick serve location in Adventureland. While we were in the area, I decided to check it out, and here are some pictures of that bird, for anyone interested:

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

If you want one of those cups, you will need $6.99 plus tax. The menu doesn't say, but that price includes the cup being filled with a drink:

IMG_0706.jpg

We didn't get any Orange Bird cups.

But I have a feeling that we might some day.

We had no intention of watching the Main Street Electric Parade, but it came by while we were near, and there was plenty of empty space to watch, so we did.

Mr. Smee was having some kind of problem that night. He usually rides solo, but tonight he had a helper:

IMG_1302.jpg

Dopey was fine, though:

IMG_1305.jpg

The weird-o known as Pete was babbling about how many apples he and his dragon had eaten as he rode by:

IMG_1311.jpg

My favorite float:

IMG_1318.jpg

We hadn't intended to watch Wishes, either, but we did.

Here's the required fireworks photos (all taken by Twin #1-who is the firework photography pro in the TCD gang):

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

Despite the weather, it was pretty crowded in the park.

We wanted to get some ice cream on Main Street, but it was a zoo.

So, we visited some more SOTMK locations. One thing that is very cool about this is that it takes you in to little nooks and crannies around the MK that you may not know even exist. We went in to the room where they have the topping bar for Tortuga Tavern, and saw some very cool things in there. There are restrooms in there too, which I never knew before.

After a while, things finally began to thin out, and we headed over for our ice cream.

The MK was open until midnight, but we headed out at around 11:30.

We were still worried about the big storms that had been forecasted, so we were going to make a kind of early night out of it, and we talked about maybe doing a rope drop in the morning.

So, we hopped onto a Pop bus and made our way back.

When we got back to the hotel, we ran right into someone that I was very surprised to see.

I will pick it up from there in the next post.

TCD

Yes, this was kind of like one of those short summer storms. No big deal.

But, boy the news stations made a big deal out of it.

I think my mother-in-law still has one of those phones. My kids don't remember phones with cords.

TCD

My Mom still has one of those phones too!

As far as your kids not remembering phones with cords.......well our kitchen phone not only has a cord it has a ROTARY DIAL!!!!!!!! Whenever the boys have a new friend over they are so taken with that phone. In fact when my guys were little and had their little friends over, the friends ALWAYS had to make a call home, just so they could use our phone. Its been pretty amusing! However, when we remodel the kitchen that phone will be gone!!!

Heidi

My Mom still has one of those phones too!

As far as your kids not remembering phones with cords.......well our kitchen phone not only has a cord it has a ROTARY DIAL!!!!!!!! Whenever the boys have a new friend over they are so taken with that phone. In fact when my guys were little and had their little friends over, the friends ALWAYS had to make a call home, just so they could use our phone. Its been pretty amusing! However, when we remodel the kitchen that phone will be gone!!!

Heidi

A dial phone?

I'm sure my kids wouldn't know how to make a call on one of those.

My parents still have a rotary dial wall phone, but I think it's hanging in the garage now!

My mother in law just replaced hers.

It's kind of amazing to think about how much phones have changed in just the last 20 years.

Looks like a fun trip so far. We to have several pillow pets.

Yes, but you have a pre-schooler, and I have two almost 17 year-olds.

I have to admit that I enjoy seeing the new ones they have come up with each time we visit.

I was going to guess Poly...but not because of storms. It's because I know how Dads are suckers for the whims of their daughters.

Not me.

It was the storms.

(plus a deal was made which you will find out about later).

Yay - another TCD report. And, it's one that may feature Yuri even! I'm definitely in for the ride, even though I as always am late to the party.

The only problem is that I now have Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go on my mind. Thanks for that. Not.

Yeah, sorry about the Wham reference.

But it wasn't me who brought up George Michael.

It's Dave's Yensid Camper's fault!

And, because misery loves company, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgZ7gMze7A

Oy!

I forgot about the shorts that show up at about a minute and thirty seconds.

Wow.

And, this video was made in 1984.

The same year Splash was released.

Man, I'm getting old.

TCD

Now the weathermen screwed you out of a GAG? Just one more reason for me to dislike them.

Maybe the girls will leave all of their pillow pets when they go off to school and you will never have to camp alone.

On second thought...an old a grown man camping with a bunch of stuffed animals, with a spankula hanging from a tree, might seem creepy.

The mai-tai looks yummy (and expensive :)) ) the sushi, not so much. I don't even eat fish that's been cooked. Yuck!

Now the weathermen screwed you out of a GAG? Just one more reason for me to dislike them.

Maybe the girls will leave all of their pillow pets when they go off to school and you will never have to camp alone.

On second thought...an old a grown man camping with a bunch of stuffed animals, with a spankula hanging from a tree, might seem creepy.

The mai-tai looks yummy (and expensive :)) ) the sushi, not so much. I don't even eat fish that's been cooked. Yuck!

Yes, those dang weathermen!

You know, when you put it like that, I am pretty creepy. Even with the girls. I am going to have to get Mrs. TCD to start coming with me.

I didn't know you don't like seafood. Mrs. TCD is not a big fan either. But she likes chicken teryaki and that type of thing, so she can usually find something she likes at a sushi place.

The Mai Tai was good. Not the best I've had. And of course it was expensive.

Refusing on principle to watch that video. Gm had better sings and vids

Great fireworks photos

Deal.... What deal?

Good idea on refusing to watch that video. Although it does remind me of some very good times.

1984 was a good year for me.

Life was so simple then.

TCD, The TCD is looking for a few good men (or women) to be full-time ranch hands at the TCD!

http://wdw.disneycar.../?q=wdw+casting

Somebody on here posted that link a while back (Devores).

That would be fun. But, I really don't have a lot of equine experience.

I have had the California Rolls at 1900 Park Fare--they were good. I like the drink in the Pineapple but the Mai Tai looks good. Keep up the good work. :wine:

Yes, I had one of those drinks in a pineapple the last time I was there. I believe it's called a Lapu Lapu.

Over at O'hana, they have a drink called the backscratcher. It comes with an actual backscratcher. I want to try one for that reason alone.

TCD

Good idea on refusing to watch that video. Although it does remind me of some very good times.

1984 was a good year for me.

Life was so simple

TCD

I agree, 1984 was a good year for me too. And I am embarrassed to say that I actually saw George Michael in concert in the late 80's. But I can admit that here because none of you actually know me in my real life, haha. (I'm probably in trouble if I actually make it to the fort and meet some fiends though).

As this is the week that last year's deadly tornadoes tore through here, I am wondering if that is the reason the weathermen were being overly cautious about the storms.

Oh and Stef I agree with you about the Weather Channel and MTV. I mean it's not like there are not hundreds of other channels where they could show these weather related shows and non music video shows.

TCD, Looking forward to finding out who you ran into.

Meanwhile, I guess I should supply the popcorn for everyone since I keep mooching off of everyone else.

This should be enough for all of us.

PopcornBuckets.jpg

Late to the party as always!

I hit High School just right as I joined the Marching Band in 8th grade and was able to attend the band trip to Florida to play in the Magic Kingdom. 5 Years later as a senior I got a second trip to WDW to play in Epcot! Two wonderful experiences I will never forget. There were some great perks to being a band geek!

TCD, as always an awesome report, can't wait to see what Cousin Yuri had to share with you this trip! His visits are always interesting, I hope he didn't steal your beer this time! :beer:

I hit High School just right as I joined the Marching Band in 8th grade and was able to attend the band trip to Florida to play in the Magic Kingdom. 5 Years later as a senior I got a second trip to WDW to play in Epcot! Two wonderful experiences I will never forget. There were some great perks to being a band geek!

I first thought you were going to say...

"One time at Band Camp we...played George Michael's Greatest Hits Hit"

Yeah, sorry about the Wham reference.

But it wasn't me who brought up George Michael.

It's Dave's Yensid Camper's fault!

TCD

Sorry TCD, I just brought up George Michael snarking the CM, you added the song title and the band name---Wham!

BTW, MJ's Thriller came out in 83. I am getting old....

I didn't know you don't like seafood.

TCD

Believe it or not, I like most seafood, just not fish. It's a consistency thing. I don't like anything that my mouth doesn't know what to do with. I want to either chew & swallow, or just swallow. (Please God, let the fairies be on vacation)

Anything that requires 'smooshing around' in my mouth is out. Pudding, jello, bananas...

Yeah. I'm a freak. ::)

Believe it or not, I like most seafood, just not fish. It's a consistency thing. I don't like anything that my mouth doesn't know what to do with. I want to either chew & swallow, or just swallow. (Please God, let the fairies be on vacation)

Anything that requires 'smooshing around' in my mouth is out. Pudding, jello, bananas...

Isn't the bolded part a line out of an Austin Powers movie? :wave1:

:pc:

There are about three different things the fairies could turn into tags in that one.... can't wait to see what they do!

I agree, 1984 was a good year for me too. And I am embarrassed to say that I actually saw George Michael in concert in the late 80's. But I can admit that here because none of you actually know me in my real life, haha. (I'm probably in trouble if I actually make it to the fort and meet some fiends though).

No reason to be embarassed. George Michael and Wham were considered cool in their time.

But, now that you disclosed this, it can and will be used against you.

As this is the week that last year's deadly tornadoes tore through here, I am wondering if that is the reason the weathermen were being overly cautious about the storms.

Oh and Stef I agree with you about the Weather Channel and MTV. I mean it's not like there are not hundreds of other channels where they could show these weather related shows and non music video shows.

TCD, Looking forward to finding out who you ran into.

Meanwhile, I guess I should supply the popcorn for everyone since I keep mooching off of everyone else.

This should be enough for all of us.

PopcornBuckets.jpg

It's hard to believe that a year has passed already.

My oldest DD was in Tuscaloosa earlier this week on her Grad School tour, and reported that there is still a lot of evidence of the tornadoes.

However, I don't think this was a case of the weather people being overly cautious. It was just a case of a slow news day and a chance to pump up ratings by sensationalizing something. We can't just have an objective report or a truthful statement that they are just making wild guesses. Instead we get over the top warnings that 9 times out of 10 turn out to be dead wrong. The next time a real hurricane threat comes along, there will be problems, because nobody will listen.

I'm withholding any woohoos until TR until TCD recognizes the differences between a band and a string orchestra.

Good grief.

I knew that my insensitive and ignorant comments would bring out a correction from a real band string orchestra geek.

So you're telling me all them kids with the different kinds of fiddles weren't in a band?

I still say they were.

They were going to get together with them fiddles and play some music.

Sounds like a band to me.

Late to the party as always!

TCD, as always an awesome report, can't wait to see what Cousin Yuri had to share with you this trip! His visits are always interesting, I hope he didn't steal your beer this time! :beer:

Are you sure you weren't a stringed orchestra geek?

So, you think I got paid a visit by Yuri, and he didn't steel my beer?

I wish.

Vinylmation and Monorails combined, my dream has come true.

See?

I knew it!

I think we should take up a collection and buy you the whole set.

You can enjoy those until the bus vinylmations come out.

I was sitting in POP Saturday evening waiting for our Magic Express Pickup time and thought I saw the twins. Doh! This close to meeting TCD. Oh well maybe next time.

Really?

What time was this?

We were at the Pop early in the evening on Saturday to retrieve my car.

I wonder if you really saw them?

I first thought you were going to say...

"One time at Band Camp we...played George Michael's Greatest Hits Hit"

Sorry TCD, I just brought up George Michael snarking the CM, you added the song title and the band name---Wham!

BTW, MJ's Thriller came out in 83. I am getting old....

OK, you're right.

My fault.

I started the beard thing which led to all of this.

So, here's the deal: no more GM, Wham or MJ talk in this thread.

Yes, this is quite freakish.

And, not something I think I should discuss any further.

Just one thing about sushi- if you like fried shrimp, try the volcano roll.

Isn't the bolded part a line out of an Austin Powers movie? :wave1:

:pc:

Is it?

There are so many lines from Austin Powers movies, but I don't remember this one.

There are about three different things the fairies could turn into tags in that one.... can't wait to see what they do!

Yes. This one is right across the plate.

TCD