Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

Wow, Todd, another cool photo!

That big building in the center foreground had me stumped.

But, looking at the photo, it has to be the America Pavilion.  Look how many floors it has!  I know it's tall, but I never realized how tall.

Here's some purple crayon annotations that show this is the America Pavilion:

epcotconstruction_zpse702fbc6.jpg

TCD

If I remember correctly, they used reverse forced perspective on that building to make it appear shorter.  Looks like lots of office space in the back of that building.

I don't think that American Pavilion is as big as it appears in the photo.  What looks like individual floors may not be.  The appearance in the photo is of individual floors with windows like a typical office building, but take a look at the back of the building currently and you see there are no windows other than some dormers up top.

epcot.jpg

And in relation to the vehicles parked back there, the building doesn't look much larger than 5 stories or so, which considering the size of the theater inside seems realistic. 

You know what those aren't individual floors, that is construction scaffolding on the back there. Now that I look again, but it is indeed the same building.

Yes, but you were right about the reverse forced perspective- that building is 5 stories tall, as Dave says.

They used the reversed forced perspective because colonial buildings were not that tall.

And that photo is still very cool.

TCD

walt-disney-world-under-construction-epc

That is the beam you see today leaving the TTC to EPCOT

I don't think that is right...   the support posts are too close together...  and more importantly the monorail beam is not T-shaped... it has a rectangular cross section...

WDW_Monorail_2006.jpg

The supports/structure don't look right for the people mover either...  Unless this is all inside Space Mountain...

Maybe it's not track at all, but just part of the Space Mountain structure?

--Paul 

Sheesh....can't believe the Disney "experts" are so stumped on this one ;)

That is Space Mountain in early construction.

That's not monorail track...wrong cross section, the monorail doesn't make such a hard curve anywhere like that over there.

That's what I said

I hear it now costs 50 million dollars a mile for space mountain track. A bargain compared to what Lou says a monorail track costs.

My best guess.

The smaller higher platform is the upper support structure for the sloped SM roof. The lower larger ring is the lower outer roof support structure. Preformed concrete roof sections are placed all around supported by both rings, and thats what gives SM it's basic shape.

The 4 columns that the upper platform rests on is also used to partially support the coaster. It intertwines between them.

I think it is the inside of the WDW version of the Matterhorn which was subsequently scrapped when they decided for the infinitely much better attraction called the Carousel of Progress.  There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow.......

(Cue Nicki throwing things at me from stage right)

I don't think that is right...   the support posts are too close together...  and more importantly the monorail beam is not T-shaped... it has a rectangular cross section...

WDW_Monorail_2006.jpg

The supports/structure don't look right for the people mover either...  Unless this is all inside Space Mountain...

Maybe it's not track at all, but just part of the Space Mountain structure?

--Paul 

Sheesh....can't believe the Disney "experts" are so stumped on this one ;)

That is Space Mountain in early construction.

That's not monorail track...wrong cross section, the monorail doesn't make such a hard curve anywhere like that over there.

That's what I said

Good job guys.

I had that thought as well, but since Todd was so adamant about it being the Epcot track, I let it go.

These old photos can be tricky with the camera angles and absence of some familiar landmarks.

This photo confirms for me that that the previous photo is, in fact, Space Mountain under construction:

tumblr_lw7dbah8wP1r1pz1eo1_1280.jpg

TCD

Good job guys.

I had that thought as well, but since Todd was so adamant about it being the Epcot track, I let it go.

These old photos can be tricky with the camera angles and absence of some familiar landmarks.

This photo confirms for me that that the previous photo is, in fact, Space Mountain under construction:

TCD

Off topic....but am I seeing correctly that the Skyway ride did not have a redundant cable?  I thought those things always have two cables in the event that the primary cable were to break. 

Off topic....but am I seeing correctly that the Skyway ride did not have a redundant cable?  I thought those things always have two cables in the event that the primary cable were to break. 

Jeez.  That's a scary thought.  But you're right- it looks like there was only one cable.

Looking again at that photo- there are some other very cool details. 

You can see men walking on what appear to be the tracks for the People Mover.  To the right of that, I think I see the opening for the tunnel under the train tracks which will eventually become the long, sloped, Space Mountain queue.

Also, there are porta potties down at the lower left of the photo.  Those haven't changed a bit in the last 40 years.

TCD

Good job guys.

Good job guys.

That Photo was takem frrom the tomorrow return car

TCD