Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

Could be.

They could also be somewhere around where the marina is now.

I have read that there was an old lodge/fish camp somewhere along the lake on the property when Disney bought it.  That dock was probably there on the property when they purchased it.

Walt very well may have stood on that very dock.

TCD

Remember there was a family living on DI when Walt bought it and look at all the boats it could be part of the fish camp. I bet Walt was on that dock

After looking myself, the name of the road going to that beach is called Bay Court.  On Bay Court, just off of Reams Rd, there is what looks to be a small collection of mobile homes and utility type buildings.  There is not a gate to get on Bay Court, but the point of view pictures don't go past the collection of buildings, so don't know if you can continue past the buildings to the little beach.  There also appears to be near that beach a floating deck of sorts.

After looking myself, the name of the road going to that beach is called Bay Court.  On Bay Court, just off of Reams Rd, there is what looks to be a small collection of mobile homes and utility type buildings.  There is not a gate to get on Bay Court, but the point of view pictures don't go past the collection of buildings, so don't know if you can continue past the buildings to the little beach.  There also appears to be near that beach a floating deck of sorts.

After further review of the aerial maps, there is a very large gate blocking the entrance to this beach.

Not only that, but they recently added a security gate at the entrance to the town of Lake Buena Vista, I suspect they may have done the same to the town of Bay Lake.

You're out of luck getting into either town unless you know one of the residents, which btw, I do.

I'll present, you decide.

The photo in the top center is a blow up of the castle portion in the photo Todd posted which he says is Space Mountain at WDW. The photo to the left is of Cinderella Castle when viewed from the direction of SM at WDW. The photo on the right is the castle at Tokyo DL when viewed from the direction of Space Mountain at Tokyo DL.

The bottom left photo is of the monorail which runs behind the castle at Tokyo DL. The bottom right photo of a rail or beam structure would have to be behind and to the left of Cinderella Castle as shown in the photo Todd posted. What could that structure be?

Test1_zps9c1d1945.jpg

if you have a tablet or the way to zoom in and look to the right of the structure you will see the Skyway Dumbo's ride 20000 Leagues plus the Grand Prix race track.

if you zoom in to the left of the structure you'll see the loading area for the Skyway if you had wings and mission to Mars

I'll present, you decide.

The photo in the top center is a blow up of the castle portion in the photo Todd posted which he says is Space Mountain at WDW. The photo to the left is of Cinderella Castle when viewed from the direction of SM at WDW. The photo on the right is the castle at Tokyo DL when viewed from the direction of Space Mountain at Tokyo DL.

The bottom left photo is of the monorail which runs behind the castle at Tokyo DL. The bottom right photo of a rail or beam structure would have to be behind and to the left of Cinderella Castle as shown in the photo Todd posted. What could that structure be?

Test1_zps9c1d1945.jpg

Very good, Lou.

I never realized how much the Tokyo Disneyland castle looks like the Magic Kingdom's.

I studied Todd's photo a bit, and it sure looks like the MK to me.

I pointed out a palm tree and some skyway cars in this photo:

smconstruction_zps36c90b51.jpg

But, then I learned that Tokyo Disneyland had a skyway and that there are palm trees there.

One thing that really stands out, though, is all the trees in the background of Todd's photo. Isn't Tokyo Disneyland surrounded by urban sprawl?

TCD

Construction vehicles look more vintage 1974. In addition, if you zoom in on the portapotties, you will clearly see they are Bob's and lack any Japanese script. I believe the construction techniques being followed are more in line with what the US was doing in 1973-74, re. the number of rivets per joint on the steel girders. I can see a worker doing a slump test on the concrete and the technique is definitely western, considering the eastern nations were using a class 23-b cone at the time. What disturbs me is that it appears the concrete has a higher than acceptable moisture content. I hope Disney corrected this, otherwise there may be some serious structural compromise in the final product. WWLD?