Carol at the Fort in a Tent!! Are You Nuts!!! YUP!!!

I am a girl of opportunity, and when I have an opportunity to escape everything for a few days I take it!!

This story goes back to May, right before Memorial Day. I was supposed to go to this training seminar in Atlanta for a few days right before the Stone Mountain gathering. I planned to head to Stone Mountain early, commute to Mid-Town Atlanta every morning, then just stay for the big Grand Gathering. Well, I had to move the training session due to work commitments, so, the next training opportunity in Atlanta was July 23-25. (There was an Orlando opportunity, but not till October, and I needed this training before my next annual review in early September).

Now, in mid June, some crazy things started happening at work. Our entire organization restructured, I got a new boss, and my world got really busy at work. However, the new structure is a lot deeper in personnel and we actually share work, I like it!!! Personal time and training time will not have to be constantly postponed.

Every Friday, we are to send an email to our new boss, reminding him of our schedule for the following week. Mine went, training in Atlanta Mon - Wed, travel on Sunday and Thursday, back in the office on Friday.

He came back and said "Take Friday off also as comp time" I was like "COOL"

I got home from work, and told Rick about my day off, he said, go to Disney. I'm like WHAT, that's nuts, plus I'll probably end up working anyway.

I stewed about it Friday night, then finally made up my mind on Saturday, and found a partial hookup campsite at Passholder rate for Thursday - Sunday. I decided to take the tent. I thought about taking the camper for about 30 seconds, but then thought better of it.

I still actually wasn't committed on going, but packed for the trip anyway, and Sunday afternoon 07/22 drove to Atlanta to check into my hotel.

My plan was to see how committed my new boss was in using all of the resources and not pestering those who have time off. If work hit, I could always call reservations and change my reservation to a later date to not lose the deposit.

I'm so glad I didn't take the camper, cause the hotel I was staying at only had garage parking with low ceilings. I would have been in a world of hurt finding a place to park the camper.

I went to my training conference on Mon - Wed, and true to his word, no working from the hotel in the evenings, and no emails rescinding the day off on Friday.

The training was a huge success, great instructor, and was well worth my company's investment.

Wednesday, July 25

Class actually let out early on Wednesday, early enough to consider driving on down to Disney. I got back to the room, called Disney reservations, I was able to add Wednesday night to my Fort reservation, so threw my work stuff into the truck, requested my bill, and got on the road!!! I knew it would be late when I got there, but I do that all the time. It would also be cooler setting up.

I got to the Fort about 11pm, and was assigned site 2040. I am no longer a fan of the 2000 loop, but was told the 1500 loop was full. The site WAS close to the bath house. I decided not to worry. I could always bail to a hotel if any obnoxious groups showed up in the loop.

I had no agenda this trip, except to hang at the campground, play "which bus comes first" for random meals, visit Art of Animation, and go to late night hours at MK.

So I got my tent and awning set up and off to bed. Nighty night!!!

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You succeeded.

Carol, that shot of the monorail is fantastic. How you managed not to catch the parts falling off in the shot is amazing. Not to mention the flames shooting out the back.

Buses arrive about every 20 minutes, so shut up and wait like a good little boy should.

Thursday, July 26th

I slept in pretty late, and slept pretty comfortable, got a little chilly even with the fan blowing on me, but I did find my rear on the ground on the air mattress. Ooops, time for a Wal-Mart run. I was not about to spend my time figuring where and if there was a leak in this mattress. I had also remembered that just grabbing my shower bag from the camper is not enough, there are now a few items that stay in the camper such as my toothbrush, deoderant and hairbrush. I borrowed those items from my work travel kit, and got dressed and off to Wal-Mart.

Now that the new air mattress has been procured and installed, I can relax!! Finally time for some pictures!!

I'm sitting in my chair next to my fan, and four Disney suits are wandering around the sites near me, along with some worker types, pointing at stuff and talking

IMG_0409.jpg

Have no clue what they are talking about, and didn't ask.

Finally get it in gear and decide I want to check out the campground. I had brought Rick's scooter with me to use to scoot around the Fort. Not as fast or as cool as a golf cart, but beats the buses or walking.

I see a couple of interesting things riding around.

Sewer work in the 400 Loop, I think

IMG_0410.jpg

Work on Site 116

IMG_0411.jpg

I also ran around to the 1700 Loop and chatted with Angie and her crew for a few minutes, and also chatted with Pam and her husband for a few minutes.

Then I went back to my campsite and discovered what the suits were pointing and talking about. They had set up a pump to pump mosquito slime water out of the center of the loop into the outer portion of the loop out into the swamp. That silly thing was LOUD!! But I'd rather have that then get eat up.

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

More coming soon

You are a brave woman! My tenting days are long gone.

Looking forward to the rest. :popcorn:

(and before anyone asks, NO, I did not make enough popcorn for everybody. This is mine and I'm eating it all!)

I'm in... I'm in!!!

I'm in too!

I'm in three!!

Thanks for reading all!!!

Wow!

A tent in July.

You rock.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip.

TCD

More coming up!

Yay for bosses who give comp time...that's awesome! Can't wait to hear about your tenting adventure. Tenting is waaaaay outside my comfort zone, so I shall live it vicariously through you!

Yeah, my new boss is awesome! I love my old boss dearly, but our old structure made for some stressfull times.

Love those spur of the moment trips. Been a long time since we have done one. I keep thinking about doing a weekend and ditching the TT for a tent.

I'm sure being Scouters ya'll have tent stuff at the ready just like I do, throw that stuff in the back of the truck and head on down!!!

I'm in!

Who woulda thought that Carol woulda snuck off to the fort?

I'm in!

I didn't really sneak..... just didn't know if I was really going or not, so didn't get my hopes up too high

I second that and will even go all caps WOW!

can't wait for more.

If you have the tent "stuff" it's quite comfy!!!

You are a brave woman! My tenting days are long gone.

Looking forward to the rest. :popcorn:

(and before anyone asks, NO, I did not make enough popcorn for everybody. This is mine and I'm eating it all!)

Isn't your camper a hybrid? That has tents, and ya'll set up the screen porch, not much difference :)

I was thinking the same thing. Quite the shock when I first heard she was there. I simply couldn't believe it. :rofl3:

Ya'll know me too well!!!

Better to be in a tent at the Fort than not at the Fort at all. You go girl!

Thanks Kim!!!!!

Try saying that 3 times fast. :rofl2:

I'll pass :)

OK, continuing on. I finished dropping off or picking up whatever it was I went back to the campsite for, and headed for Trails End. I had not been there for lunch since they changed over to full service, so decided to try it.

On my way to Trails End, I got a call from Lorna!! She had read my post about the pump and was wanting to know if I was at the Fort!! Then she told me that Angie had her golf cart, and for me to go get it!! WooHoo!!!! Aren't Fiends the best!!!!

So, here are a few pictures around Trails End

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

and my lunch.... Chicken and Waffles

IMG_0422.jpg

It was pretty tasty, but not sure it's a combination I'd order again. Somehow the flavors didn't mix well for me.

Now I'm heading back to the campsite to drop the scooter so I can go pick up the golf cart.

I took a few pictures of my campsite

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

I left the truck at the site this time cause I didn't have my locking footlocker with me, so needed a way to keep the valuables locked up

Oh, and packing this setup was not difficult at all. One bin has everything I need for the tent AND the tent itself, I have another bin that goes with me even in the camper that has the electric cords, stakes, twinkle lights, decoration flag, etc, I grabbed the awning, the bag with the rugs in it, a couple of chairs, the fan, and tossed some clothes in a duffle. The stuff just stays ready.

Some more of the pump doing it's thing

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

It looks like I was on a new bus, I've never seen this configuration of seats before

IMG_0431.jpg

There was some birds hanging around the mosquito swamp. I'm guessing they won't be too happy when it dries up, but there are plenty of places for them to find water

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

I stopped by the Meadows for an afternoon Slushie and snapped a couple of shots

They had mugs back in stock

IMG_0432.jpg

and these

IMG_0433.jpg

and here I am back at the campsite with the golf cart, which needed charging before I could do any more exploring.

IMG_0437.jpg

And if ya'll think I'm NUTS, I get another call from Lorna, they are now coming to the Fort for the weekend so they can go to EMH with me on Friday night!!!!

I also ran into Donnie. He was setting up a rental in the 100 Loop and was staying in the 1500 Loop himself, this was turning into a pretty good Fiend weekend!!

Yes, my camper is a hybrid, so sort of like a tent, minus full kitchen, bath, surround sound, heated matresses....

Yeah, the same but different . :rofl2:

I agree about your lunch. I like chicken and I like waffles, just not together.

(I'm one of those freaky people who don't like any of my food touching each other on the plate)

Carol! You are awesome!! I am in awe of you. :jumpforjoy (that and I'm REALLY jealous!!)

Well thanks!! No need to be in awe, I'm just a normal gal!!

Yes, my camper is a hybrid, so sort of like a tent, minus full kitchen, bath, surround sound, heated matresses....

Yeah, the same but different . :rofl2:

I agree about your lunch. I like chicken and I like waffles, just not together.

(I'm one of those freaky people who don't like any of my food touching each other on the plate)

I'm just teasing, I did find myself getting irritated to have to crawl in an out of the tent to just grab something. I LOVE my little camper, it sure has made roughing it a lot gentler. I also missed the afternoon nap. The tent was quite comfy at night, but during the day it was a sauna in there.

I am in and all caught up! Can't wait for more Carol!

Thanks for reading!!! More coming soon!!

So you just threw your stuff in the truck and you end up with that awesome set-up?

And a golf cart?

And company?

That Fort is a magical place!

TCD

Yes the Fort is a Magical Place, and the Fiends are what make it TRULY magical!!!!

Enjoying the TR! More please. :jumpforjoy

NOW!

:clint:

Thanks!! Another update coming right up!!!!

OK, after letting the golf cart charge for a bit, decided it was time to find some dinner. I was not picky. As I stated in the intro, meals were gonna be bus roulette this weekend. So I ride out to the Outpost and grab the first external bus that comes along, intending to just stay on to it's next destination.

Waiting on the bus

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

An Epcot bus pulls up

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

Well, fortunately, this particular bus pulled into an empty slot in the commercial bus lane and was heading on break, so I had to get off.

There sits a Carribbean Beach bus, so I head over there quickly and look who I run into!!!!!

Our very own Lou, Mr. Magic Bus

IMG_0445.jpg

I even get a hug!!!

Lou was just getting off this particular bus and a new driver was taking over, but I saw Lou working!!!! How cool is that!!!

So anywho, I head over to Carribbean Beach for dinner at Old Port Royal food court.

Here are a few pics around the resort

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

Dinner was pretty unmemorable, because I don't remember what I had and forgot to take a picture of it, Sorry Dave!!!!

After dinner, took a bus to DTD, then back to the Fort

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

Went to bed right after that, nice refreshing shower, clean dry jammies, nice solid air mattress, slept like a dream!!!! Nighty Night!