Hot Fun in the Summertime-TCD's August 2012 TR

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You wouldn't be breaking the" open container law" and he would have to let you on, unless you were visibly intoxicated. For those of you with the Red Solo Cups, unless you have a cover on it, you're n

I sure it has nothing to do with Uranus, BM, hanging chad, or slow movements down a canal. It has to do with the lack of beer, doesn't it?

With statements like that, I'm beginning to doubt that you actually know Bobby.

Hey TCD,

We just returned from our three week western adventure plus disneyland so I am wayyyyyy behind. However, I just finished page three and had to stop to make a few comments.

One of our FAVORITE things to do in all of WDW is to bike on that path from the fort to the lodge!!!! I just LOVE the photos you posted!!! I miss the fort.........

The footprints in the walkways at the Lodge......I have always loved them......guess what they had out at Crater Lake National Park????? Yup, footprints in the walkway....pretty funny! Oh yes, I took lots and lots of pictures of Crater Lake as well as the Lodge, when things slow down this Fall, I will take you up on your offer on telling me how to post them and I'll do a trip report.

I just showed my husband and kids and wait times on the tip board at the Studios.......we laughed.........we just got home this morning from the last leg of our vacation which was five days at Disneyland......get this.....basically no waits at Disneyland except for the new Carsland rides. Everytime we went to the Tower of Terror it said 13-minute wait but was a walk on......Soarin......maybe a five minute wait......Toy Story mania......rode it four times in a row one morning....no wait...the only reason we didnt ride more was because our hands were tired.......seriously no lines to speak of at all out there......I read trip reports about lines and I sseriously dont know what people were talking about.......a few rides had waits in the evening......but compared to WDW they were minimal at best!!!

OK, back to reading!!!

Great to come home to a TCD trip report!

Heidi

Your carl was good.

Pixie Dust just flocks to the TCD Crew

Thank you. The girls said of course I could draw Carl, as it was just like drawing a self portrait.

We do get our share of pixie dust. That's because we give away as much as we can, but we always get more back.

Your "not impressed" face sort of looks like "darn, I forgot my teeth" face. But I'll give you an A for effort. ;)

I want to meet Sully and squeeze him! :bighug:

KITTY!

Does he have a handler? Will I get tackled?

I know. I need to work on my McKayla face.

As for Sully, I should have take a photo of the family that was right in front of us.

They No Habla the English.

At least when it was convenient for them.

There was a pre-teen girl and a younger boy.

When they go up to pose, the girl goes behind Sully, and popped out beneath him, in between his legs.

The handler wasn't paying attention when that happened. Sully was gesturing and trying to motion the girl out of there. It was awkward. The parents snapped away with their cameras.

The castmember finally got the girl out of there.

They were with another family. The next family goes up there, and the girl from that family tries to do the same thing. The castmember tries to tell her no, but darned if that little seniorita didn't get under there too.

The family then vamanosed. The castmembers were shaking their heads. We laughed about it with them. So, it was now our turn. I went up there and acted like I was going to crawl under Sully. That brought a big laugh from the castmembers and the others waiting in line.

So, I would say that if you want to hug Sully, there is a good chance you can. Extra points if you crawl under his legs and pose with your face in your hands.

Bobby says look for soft openings in 2013 for the mine train. But you didn't hear that from me.

It is great that we have FWG here with this inside information. As always, we will protect your source.

Hey, I heard some where that that new high class hotel that is encroaching on the fort is going to have a lazy river!

I'm glad you mentioned that.

I had meant to mention that the new Four Seasons hotel is going to have a lazy river.

So, it's not all bad.

Hey TCD,

We just returned from our three week western adventure plus disneyland so I am wayyyyyy behind. However, I just finished page three and had to stop to make a few comments.

One of our FAVORITE things to do in all of WDW is to bike on that path from the fort to the lodge!!!! I just LOVE the photos you posted!!! I miss the fort.........

The footprints in the walkways at the Lodge......I have always loved them......guess what they had out at Crater Lake National Park? ???? Yup, footprints in the walkway....pretty funny! Oh yes, I took lots and lots of pictures of Crater Lake as well as the Lodge, when things slow down this Fall, I will take you up on your offer on telling me how to post them and I'll do a trip report.

I just showed my husband and kids and wait times on the tip board at the Studios.......we laughed.........we just got home this morning from the last leg of our vacation which was five days at Disneyland......get this.....basically no waits at Disneyland except for the new Carsland rides. Everytime we went to the Tower of Terror it said 13-minute wait but was a walk on......Soarin......maybe a five minute wait......Toy Story mania......rode it four times in a row one morning....no wait...the only reason we didnt ride more was because our hands were tired.......seriously no lines to speak of at all out there......I read trip reports about lines and I sseriously dont know what people were talking about.......a few rides had waits in the evening......but compared to WDW they were minimal at best!!!

OK, back to reading!!!

Great to come home to a TCD trip report!

Heidi

Thanks, Heidi.

I thought of you on this trip.

You want to know why?

I was reading the book Wild by Cheryl Strayer. It is about a young woman who hiked the Pacific Crest Trail.

One of the highlights of her hike, which was over 1000 miles, was her walk through Crater Lake National Park. She had heard that a common reaction from those seeing the lake for the first time was one of disbelief. She didn't put much weight on that. Then she saw the lake.

If anyone is looking for a good book to read, pick this book up. It is very well written and very thought provoking.

And, Heidi, I do want to see photos from your trip, so I am going to hold you to writing that trip report. Let me know when you're ready for your photo posting lesson.

We have never been to Disneyland. I always wanted to go with the girls before they leave the nest. At this point, it doesn't look like that will happen. I have heard it is a much more laid back atmosphere than WDW. I would like to experience that.

wow, I'm surprised at no waits for TSM out there! Although it was 2008 when I was there!!

Yes, I am surprised too. Especially with how busy WDW was when we were there.

:waiting2-smiley:

Waiting for a midnight update, Bob?

Give him a break Dave. Dont forget the older you get the earlier you get up. In Bobs Case midnight is his 5am.

I know what Bob is waiting for.

And, Bob, you know I wouldn't forget you.

We will get there.

I promise.

TCD

I have an iPad and use it quite a bit. However, I cannot imagine it being part of "park going gear" allotment. At times, it might be good to have, but I like to travel very light. Those folks must be real troopers to haul it around all day while worrying about breakage.

Great update!

I, too have photos of that site in 1800. They'd been there for a while. Did you see the full-size fridge on the patio? That site made me think of the thread on FF about site decorations, and what is tasteful, what is too much, or what is too junky. This one definitely fell into the latter category!

Those stinking cranes. No. Me. Gusta. Thanks, IM's.

I would love to meet Bolt! Love him! (probably more because Travolta does his voice than anything) I need to scroll back through this TR and make note of that post about where to find these rare character opportunities.

Your girls are wrong! You don't look anything like Carl! You don't wear glasses.

FP4

I have an iPad and use it quite a bit. However, I cannot imagine it being part of "park going gear" allotment. At times, it might be good to have, but I like to travel very light. Those folks must be real troopers to haul it around all day while worrying about breakage.

My husband has one too, and I can't imagine bringing it along to a park, either. Also, it's not supposed to be out in the heat for too long so if you're there all day, that could be a bad idea.

I get why people like to use them for everything (love ours!), but the camera thing can be a problem because of their size. We had some parents in front of us once at a school play using their iPad to video it. All of my pictures have that stupid iPad in them, and my husband and I had to lean to be able to see the kids around it!

....my husband and I had to lean to be able to see the kids around it!

That would tick me off and I can guarantee that the inconsiderate filmer would not have an enjoyable evening. Fortunately, your husband sounds like a more patient man. The erosion of social considerations is a bummer.

Sorry about the hijack

That sounded like a TCD cliffhanger.... does bob feature in this report?

Lord help us.

Man you Tennessee people are harsh!

Yes, of course Bob wil be featured in this report.

Just wait, you'll see.

Enjoying your report but Please please please -- do not mention that c word [that would be c-r-a-n-e] again. It's making my head hurt.

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree to that.

I had to see those cranes, and you do too.

There is a silver lining to all of this, though.

There is a surprise feature that will be part of that new hotel that some of you may like.

I don't want to give it away yet, but I'll give you a clue:

It rhymes with Mazie Liver.

I have purchased (so far) three ipads.

Of course, I do not get to use any of them.

We first spotted some joker walking around using his ipad as a camera back on one of the Star Wars weekends this year. We all laughed about it.

But, now, we do not visit a park without seeing a couple of people doing the same thing.

I would say it has become a trend.

And Disney is encouraging this kind of thing by now having free wi-fi in the parks.

Great update!

I, too have photos of that site in 1800. They'd been there for a while. Did you see the full-size fridge on the patio? That site made me think of the thread on FF about site decorations, and what is tasteful, what is too much, or what is too junky. This one definitely fell into the latter category!

Those stinking cranes. No. Me. Gusta. Thanks, IM's.

I would love to meet Bolt! Love him! (probably more because Travolta does his voice than anything) I need to scroll back through this TR and make note of that post about where to find these rare character opportunities.

Your girls are wrong! You don't look anything like Carl! You don't wear glasses.

FP4

No I did not notice the fridge.

You made me go back and take another look at my photos.

And we are about to back this trip report up for a moment because of that.

You don't need to go back and read about how to find the rare characters in Hollywood Studios. Just go to the meet and greet room at the end of the Animation tour at around 5 pm any day when Fantasmic is playing after 7:30. They will bring out a bunch of rare characters. It happens every day that there is a Fantasmic show after 7;30, but it's a secret.

And thanks for saying I don't look like Carl. I see there is some small text typed after that, but I can't read it because my eyes are starting to go. Maybe I need glasses?

My husband has one too, and I can't imagine bringing it along to a park, either. Also, it's not supposed to be out in the heat for too long so if you're there all day, that could be a bad idea.

I get why people like to use them for everything (love ours!), but the camera thing can be a problem because of their size. We had some parents in front of us once at a school play using their iPad to video it. All of my pictures have that stupid iPad in them, and my husband and I had to lean to be able to see the kids around it!

That would tick me off and I can guarantee that the inconsiderate filmer would not have an enjoyable evening. Fortunately, your husband sounds like a more patient man. The erosion of social considerations is a bummer.

Sorry about the hijack

No apologies needed. As I said, this using computer tablets as a camera has become a trend. I don't like it either. Seeing all those glowing screens can be a real distraction at some of the shows. I never realized how bad it was until our cruise last month. DCL has banned all cameras and recording devices from their shows in the theater. It is so nice to be able to watch a show without seeing all those glowing screens.

But, as far as seeing folks using them in the parks, I think this is something that we will be seeing more and more of.

Wow indeed! The first thing I thought when I saw it is "where will they put their TT/RV/tent to sleep? Lo and behold, it look like there is a TT buried somewhere in the back.

Yes. Wow.

And please read my follow up post, which I will be posting shortly, for an even closer look.

I'm sure Mr. Hitech thinks he's being cool.

And to the left of him, it looks like the gypsy looking bimbo is walking while staring at her Smart Stupid phone, gutta love it.

Good point. And, if you look carefully, you can see that one of the gypsies has both her phone and camera out. This is a common sight around the parks. People are running into each other as a result. And the IM's have compounded the problem by putting free wi-fi in the parks.

:thumbsup3:

Hang in there!

TCD

I have to laugh at people that are constantly staring at their smart phones or walking through Disney filming everything so they don't miss anything. Because when you walk around all day staring at your device, you are indeed missing EVERYTHING. It is in the simple details that Disney is best enjoyed.

Agreed. Plus, who is going to watch those videos, anyway? We have a relative who videos family events, and also narrates the proceedings. Who in the heck is ever going to want to watch and listen to that?

TCD

Agreed. Plus, who is going to watch those videos, anyway? We have a relative who videos family events, and also narrates the proceedings. Who in the heck is ever going to want to watch and listen to that?

TCD

Agree. And sometimes no pics and/or video is best. Ask Harry.

There is an update coming.

I promise.

Today, I hope.

But, I have to back up and take another look at that wonderful campsite on the 1800 loop. I didn't give these folks enough credit, or fully appreciate all the work that went in to this.

So, let's take a closer look . . .

Here is a zoom on one of the photos. We can see the set-up much better now. Note the porch swing and home theater. Also the birdhouse and lighthouse collection, and they didn't slack on the wind chimes either:

1800zoom.jpg

As if the birdhouse and lighthouse collections were not enough, check out the Mickey mouse collection and the nice wrought iron furniture. Plus more windchimes! :

1800zoom1.jpg

Also, please do not miss the red papasan chair on the far right of that photo. It is important. You will find out why in a moment.

FP4 asked if I noticed the full sized fridge. No I didn't. But now I see it under the awning here on the side of the trailer (there is also some kind of animal cage there that I missed at first glance) :

1800zoom3.jpg

That full sized fridge got me to thinking.

There are campers who show up every Halloween with one of these carport tents and a full sized fridge.

These campers actually are the ones who were the subject of that contentious thread that FP4 referenced.

Here is a photo of them from Halloween 2009:

FWHalloween2009211.jpg

Let's take a closer look at something they have under their tent:

2009zoom.jpg

Is that a red papasan chair?

It couldn't be.

Could it?

TCD

There is an update coming.

I promise.

Today, I hope.

But, I have to back up and take another look at that wonderful campsite on the 1800 loop. I didn't give these folks enough credit, or fully appreciate all the work that went in to this.

So, let's take a closer look . . .

Here is a zoom on one of the photos. We can see the set-up much better now. Note the porch swing and home theater. Also to birdhouse and lighthouse collection, and they didn't slack on the wind chimes either:

1800zoom.jpg

As if the birdhouse and lighthouse collections were not enough, check out the Mickey mouse collection and the nice wrought iron furniture. Plus more windchimes! :

1800zoom1.jpg

Also, please do not miss the red papasan chair on the far right of that photo. It is important. You will find out why in a moment.

FP4 asked if I noticed the full sized fridge. No I didn't. But now I see it under the awning here on the side of the trailer (there is also some kind of animal cage there that I missed at first glance) :

1800zoom3.jpg

That full sized fridge got me to thinking.

There are campers who show up every Halloween with one of these carport tents and a full sized fridge.

These campers actually are the ones who were the subject of that contentious thread that FP4 referenced.

Here is a photo of them from Halloween 2009:

FWHalloween2009211.jpg

Let's take a closer look at something they have under their tent:

2009zoom.jpg

Is that a red papasan chair?

It couldn't be.

Could it?

TCD

This is why I love your trip reports. You observe the most minute details that I would never ever notice.