Pre and Trip Report: First time tent campers 8/17 - 8/19

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loving the TR!! And I must say you are a better person than I am for letting the "buddies" tag along. Hell, there are times I don't even want my husband along on my camping trips let alone some rookie

LOL, I feel you on the DH comment, doesnt mean I don't love him, I'm just a little "settled" in my ways when in comes to camping and he dare not question it :) I couldnt camp with a vegetarian, I cons

Arrival and Day 1 DD and I cut school and work on Friday so we could get an early start. DH was going to come after work with everyone’s bikes. The plan was for DD and I to set up our site, and be c

Day 3

We woke up around 7:30 and really wanted to go have a relaxing breakfast at Trail’s End before packing up our site. I knew our camping buddies wouldn’t want to go there due to the prices so we tried to…be…very…quiet as we headed off to the showers.

When I got back, DH was back already and the camping buddies were awake. They decided we would be going off property to a cheaper buffet for breakfast. This was really the last straw for me and the moment that I decided we wouldn’t be sharing a site with anyone else in the future. DH felt like since we were there with them…we should do things together. I would normally agree, but I knew our camping buddies had special eating needs and also were on a different budget than we were…so I thought we had settled all of that pre-camping.

So after watching our still sleepy camping buddies wander aimlessly around the site for over an hour we all pile in DH’s truck and we found a Golden Corral. I have to admit it was pretty amusing watching 3 kids eat nothing but stuff covered in chocolate. Oh and the 5yo also had about 5lbs of bacon, I didn’t know bacon was a veggie either…but now I know and will be eating more of it.

The down-side to this thing (besides the stomachaches) was we had to rush to pack up to get out of our site by the 11:00 check-out. Our camping buddy asked what would happen if we were late…would they charge us? Well…they might charge ME…because it is MY credit card they have…so how about we just get it done? DH helped our camping buddies while DD and I took care of our stuff.

It was definitely not as much fun tearing down as it was putting up!! But I have to tell you again how awesome that tent it. It’s just as easy to take down as put up…and it just rolls up and fits right back into the bag. My one complaint about the sites is the shells/sand that they use for the tent pads. It gets everywhere…no matter what you do to try to keep it under control. We pulled out at 11:15.

It was turning into a really nice, sunny day. We implied we were heading home since we had work/school the next morning. Instead we spent some much needed family time over at the All Star Music.

All in all I thought camping was really fun, and way more comfortable than I thought it would be. I think the family agrees. We will be buying an additional tent so that next time DD can just bring a friend (or maybe grandma, since she is now interested in going after hearing about the trip). I would also like to go for a longer period of time as it seemed like we were always on the move and never really got to relax much.

Someone from work told DH about a campground by Lion Country Safari near West Palm and we are thinking about doing that soon. They say you wake up to the roars of the Lions…sounds pretty cool! Anyone been there?

I am laughing with you on this. I have been there, done that with friends. Why is it when you think you've set ground rules before a trip they get changed and you're the last to know? Sorry you missed out on Trail's End for breakfast but I am happy to hear you ditched the "friend" and got in some nice family time.

Ugh to the coquina!! I hate that stuff! I never could find away to keep it out either so now I do premium sites. Easy for me in a MH not so easy for a tent camper.

Hope to see you go on many more camping trips, and I hope you share them all with us. This has been a great TR!!! :bravo:

Great job!

I love how you are already thinking of buying another tent, and bringing Grandma!

You are right about the coquina (sand) from the tent pads. It does get everywhere. When I was a tent camper, we used multiple door mats, and left our shoes outside. We still do that with the pop-up.

Thanks for taking the time to post your report.

I can't wait to read the next one!

Oh, about that campground at Lion Country Safari- I did look into that once, but decided that it wasn't worth the drive. If you go, please post a trip report from there so everyone will know if it is worth it or not.

TCD

Great trip report...thanks!

I completely feel your pain with others tagging along on your trip. My good friend and I ended up planning a Disney trip for the same dates and decided to spend some time together. I tried to set the ground rules before we left. We were there for 11 days on a campsite...they were there for 7 in a hotel and by the end they were on my nerves! She just never did understand that we had much more time in the World than she did and we didn't want to rush! We also had done Disney with a 2 year old and really weren't interested in doing it again. Never again will I plan a trip like that!

Hope to see more trip reports on here from you and maybe we'll run into you at the Fort sometime.

Betsy

I loved your report! We tent camp on occasion and I could relate to your experience...I have learned a lot on how to be successful at it. Sorry the experience with your vegetarian friends didn't go quite as planned but I could relate to that too!

Loved the report! You are hilarious. And patient. I am a patient person too...but sometimes it is very hard. Sharing a weekend with another family, including trying to mesh differing schedules, is very tough. Did it once. Probably won't do it again. Every family has it's own vibe. Even with people that get along well, those different habits don't get along well. That's one thing about the Fiends we've camped with that works so well. Everyone does their own thing, and spends time together as much as they want. We are early risers. That meant at Stone Mtn we enjoyed some nice morning visiting with other early risers like H and KFK, and Donnie. We'd chat with Bob, Kathy and the kids during the day, and spend time with everyone hanging out at Lorna's site over dinner and into the evening. But everyone runs on their own time. If you want to head off for the day, you go. You will find that most Fiends are the easiest going people you'll meet.

Loved the report! You are hilarious. And patient. I am a patient person too...but sometimes it is very hard. Sharing a weekend with another family, including trying to mesh differing schedules, is very tough. Did it once. Probably won't do it again. Every family has it's own vibe. Even with people that get along well, those different habits don't get along well. That's one thing about the Fiends we've camped with that works so well. Everyone does their own thing, and spends time together as much as they want. We are early risers. That meant at Stone Mtn we enjoyed some nice morning visiting with other early risers like H and KFK, and Donnie. We'd chat with Bob, Kathy and the kids during the day, and spend time with everyone hanging out at Lorna's site over dinner and into the evening. But everyone runs on their own time. If you want to head off for the day, you go. You will find that most Fiends are the easiest going people you'll meet.

I think for me my grandma kinda spoiled me for traveling in groups. Whenever the extended family was together for something and she had plans to go somewhere she would tell us "Bus leaves at (she would insert a time here). If we wanted to go we were ready to go at that time if not no big deal. We all still managed to spend enough quality time together without having to spend the entire time together.

I do believe that is why I am so drawn to this group. It is just like hanging out with family. :heartsmiley: Very often better than hanging out with family. :rofl3:

Great TR! I've done the tent thing a few times and it was great. The one time I invited a friend it was the same thing you experienced. A lot of "let's do this NOW" and the obligation to do EVERYTHING together. It gets tiring after a while and then you add in the exhaustion of parks and heat.

Glad you had a great time and are enjoying the tent. I'm sure someone has already told you, but Carol recommended to a lot of us that we put a disposable paint dropcloth under our tarp under our tent. For me, that kept most of the coquina away from the tent so it wasn't so bad when you broke down.

However, to this day, my Honda still has that stuff in the trunk and I can't get it out no matter how many times I vacuum.

Loved your report...took me down memory lane... my DH used to invite everybody and his brother along on our trips to the lake. I was not a happy camper,took him a bit but he finally get the clue and stopped inviting them. Might have been right after I drove the boat over some stumps while he and his friend were skiing. Funny his friend didn't want to ski after that.

Trish-

Again, great job on this report.

And thanks for posting the same report in two places, because it clearly illustrates something which I think should be important to you and anyone else new to camping at the Fort.

This site, fortfiends.net, is the authority for all things related to Fort Wilderness. And, I think it is way more friendlier than any other Disney related site.

For those reading along who don't know what I'm talking about, Trish also posted her trip report over on a site that claims to be "the internet's largest and friendliest Disney community." The exact same report posted on two different sites. It would be interesting to see what kind of response was received from each, right?

Here on FF.net, as of today, 975 people viewed the report, and there were 70 replies.

Over there, as of today, 1221 people viewed the report, but there were only 15 replies. Fifteen. One Five. And, most of those replies were from poor old Trish, who was basically talking to herself over there.

Maybe that other place is large, but it sure ain't friendly!

TCD

Sorry I'm so late to the ending. I enjoyed the report!

Golden Corral used to be my son's favorite place in all of Florida to eat. When he got a good report card we'd say "Anywhere you want to go for dinner" and he'd pick it every time. I didn't mind, since at the time it was like $6.99 for the buffet.

He's now 22 and 200 lbs, so I know better than to offer "anywhere you'd like to go" :))

I have been to Lion Country Safari, but haven't camped there. The drive-through zoo was really cool though. We had ostriches pecking at our window! I bet the camping would be fun also.

I love the fact that you had fun no matter how many snags you had along the way. Thanks for sharing!