There has been a few posts regarding the free WiFi at the Fort. So today, I did a little war driving to see just how much coverage there is.

For those unfamiliar, war driving is where you drive around with a wifi scanner and look for open networks.

A disclaimer: while performing this experiment, I used my android phone and a simple wifi scanner set for constant scan so it picked up the network and strength in real time. I set an alert for Disney-Guest network and guest wireless (the name of the cabins wifi). I drove every loop and all common areas a GC is allowed and walked those areas where GCs are not allowed. My observations are below.

The 100 loop has some coverage from the cabins there. Depending on the equipment used and how tech savvy the user is, you could possibly have wifi in the sites around those cabins. Again, how many sites from the cabins depends on the equipment used. I was able to get a decent signal within 3 sites on either side and the sites directly across from the cabins. Any further and the signal drops quickly. No other open networks were visable.

The settlement signal was decent in the GC parkingbe, the porch, and in front of HDDR. If I ventured any further than that, the signal dropped. There was no signal near the arcade. The antennas used must be directional and pointed in the general direction mentioned.

The back side of 1100 loop, near the cabins on the 2100 loop, has some signal from the cabins. Again, type of equipment will determine how far you can get the signal and how good it will be.

All cabins have wifi in them and it is accesible (I tested 5 different ones). You just need to "sign in" by accepting the terms of use. So if you are near any of the cabins (beggining of 2000 loop) you may be able to get a signal. I was not able to get one in the 2000 loop, but with the right equipment, I can see it as a possibility.

The outpost signal is the strongest one I found and can be picked up at the bus stop. Not sure why this is the strongest one, but it is. They should make the settlment the strongest as more people use that one.

I did not make it to the cabin pool, but I can assume it has wifi there as well.

The main pool, bike barn, and campfire area is covered pretty well. There was only a few places I was not able to get a signal and they were small. I will cover where I lost the signal as opposed to where I had it.

I lost the signal halfway accross the bridge going to the 600 loop. There were a few places in the 600 loop where I was able to get a faint signal, so it is feasible that you could get wifi in the first half of the loop.

I lost the signal near the bathrooms behind the campfire in the 1400 loop. I was not able to get any signal in the 1400 loop, but again, with the right equipment, it is feasible you could get a signal in the sites near the comfort station.

Bob's dock has a good signal as does the porch of Meadow Depot. I was able to make it to bear rock before loosing the signal.

Standing at the end of the pool furthest from the snack bar is where I lost the signal in that direction.

I could not get one, but I can see where parts of the 1300 could possibly get a weak signal. Id need to drag my directional anntenna and laptop out there to see.

Group camp area I was not able to get a signal at all.

No other loops had a signal.

I think I covered all areas.

Now, if Disney is reading this, installing repeaters or transmitters on the comfort stations should cover the entire loop and give ALL of your guests a free wifi connection. If all cabins have been installed, this should not be too big of a project.

Thank you for doing this! Very helpful. I'll be glad when we don't have to use those ethernet cables any more.

Carol, do you pay 2 monthly fees for your personal wifis? We looked into this a couple of weeks ago. Went to the AT&T store and tried to get it tacked on to my phone plan, and use my phone as the device. But it was like $50 more per month. No thanks! Verizon has a better deal but I have an iPhone that I am not willing to give up and switch to Android and their service. We could have purchased a device from Verizon for around $200, but then would have to pay the monthly $50 fee since we don't have a phone plan w/ them. (if we did, it would be less or maybe free, can't recall).

We tabled the idea for now. Still have the 3G on the iPad and 4G on my phone. We just camp so much, and even in some of the CG's who claim to have wifi, it's so slow or weak you can't do anything. When the college games came on Labor Day weekend, the bandwidth was more than a little stretched! We also use it to get on Netflix and watch movies at night without long pauses that the 4G usually has.

It will be interesting to see just how extensive a wifi system they install. Will it be one that reaches all sites? Or will they always rely on wired access with modems?

Rumor was that it would be regular over the air once it was finished. They may be incorporating the antennas into the new light posts that were dicussed.

Rumor was that it would be regular over the air once it was finished. They may be incorporating the antennas into the new light posts that were dicussed.

Great point and an extremely logical approach.

Yup. This is what I have been thinking too. The new poles will be all around the Fort. It would work.

Dave (Devores) - thanks for doing this. I have heard conflicting stories about whether wi-fi has been available or not. I did not know that all the cabins had it now.

TCD

• 4 weeks later...

Verizon has a better deal but I have an iPhone that I am not willing to give up and switch to Android and their service. We could have purchased a device from Verizon for around $200, but then would have to pay the monthly $50 fee since we don't have a phone plan w/ them. (if we did, it would be less or maybe free, can't recall).

Verizon has the iPhone. I'm on mine now. And in my area the coverage is way better than my old AT&T iPhone.

We were on site 1724 9/27 to 10/1 - no wi-fi. I had to get a kit from the front desk. I was told I would be charged the $125 deposit & then credited that amount when I returned the kit. I saw nothing on my credit card.

Thanks for scouting things out for us, Dave!

Verizon has the iPhone. I'm on mine now. And in my area the coverage is way better than my old AT&T iPhone.

Yes I saw they have it now. But, I just bought a new phone earlier this year so will hang on to it for a while. They all have their plusses and minuses, I have used both services.

The good thing is my husband was able to add a hotspot to his phone because he has a new job and is traveling a lot more. So, no more clunky FW ethernet box for us!

Yes I saw they have it now. But, I just bought a new phone earlier this year so will hang on to it for a while. They all have their plusses and minuses, I have used both services.

The good thing is my husband was able to add a hotspot to his phone because he has a new job and is traveling a lot more. So, no more clunky FW ethernet box for us!

The only issue I have found with the HotSpot on my phone is that I have a GREAT 4G signal outside the camper at the Fort, but inside the camper, the signal is almost nonexistant. Now most of the time, I don't mind being outside my camper using the internet, but if I HAD to do some work, I would most likely want to be inside.

The only issue I have found with the HotSpot on my phone is that I have a GREAT 4G signal outside the camper at the Fort, but inside the camper, the signal is almost nonexistant. Now most of the time, I don't mind being outside my camper using the internet, but if I HAD to do some work, I would most likely want to be inside.

hmm yes that could be a problem. He has had to have some meetings while we've been on vacation before. Whenever he sits outside in the evenings with his iPad, it is a bug magnet! Might have to look into some kind of screen room, I was thinking about that anyway.

The only issue I have found with the HotSpot on my phone is that I have a GREAT 4G signal outside the camper at the Fort, but inside the camper, the signal is almost nonexistent. Now most of the time, I don't mind being outside my camper using the internet, but if I HAD to do some work, I would most likely want to be inside.

Just replaced my cranky old Droid X with a Droid Razr Maxx last night. Holy cats is this thing speedy - even when I'm not on 4G!

We're on Verizon and have always had really good coverage for the most part. Looking forward to seeing how well the hot spot that comes with it works at the Fort. I had the add-on paid hot spot previously (still Verizon) and it worked ok, but I found much the same as Carol - much better signal outside than in.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had better luck with wifi in the loops since devores OP. Just wondering if they have expanded since then. Don't really want to go the modem route. Last time I needed an ethernet card which I left home. Is this still needed? I have a new lapttop, so maybe not?

Just trying to get things in order as we will need to work on our upcoming holiday trip.

We're in 1326 which is close to the Meadows pool - very rarely, I will see the free hotspot pop up, but is too inconsistent and weak to rely on.

I have a Galaxy Tab 7.7 from Verizon I use for a hotspot and get great service inside or outside the camper. I just changed from a Droid X (third one that died and I wasn't going to accept another one) and got a deal on a Razr Maxx (and they shipped it to me here at The Fort). What a difference!

Has anyone had better luck with wifi in the loops since devores OP. Just wondering if they have expanded since then. Don't really want to go the modem route. Last time I needed an ethernet card which I left home. Is this still needed? I have a new lapttop, so maybe not?

Just trying to get things in order as we will need to work on our upcoming holiday trip.

As far as I can tell, no change from the last report.

I talked to one of the Systems/CATV guys when we were there in OCT. He said they are having trouble getting good coverage because of all the trees/foilage etc (it does block WIFI) No matter how they place the antennas some people would not get a good signal, but they are trying to come up with a solution.

I talked to one of the Systems/CATV guys when we were there in OCT. He said they are having trouble getting good coverage because of all the trees/foilage etc (it does block WIFI) No matter how they place the antennas some people would not get a good signal, but they are trying to come up with a solution.

Cut down more trees.