TCD is Thankful for Thanksgiving @ The Fort 2012

5000th Post!!!!!!!!

I figured I would place it here for a couple reasons.

1. TCD is gone until Monday and my 5000th post could be used to start a thread hijack

2. Looking for TCD's trip reports is how I discovered Fort Fiends in the first place....therefore this post pays homage to the gentleman from Florida who's TRs brought me here......so blame him okay?

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK- I cry uncle!!! I am from Missouri - but Oklahoma was close. Our family had been in Pizza Planet at DHS when we saw you (my daughter noticing your girls first), everyone had to go to the bathroom

Send your daughters on Operation Beefcake for me!

"I think I might know something about this secret Hidden Mickey you mention. On one of our recent visits to the new Little Mermaid ride, there was an off duty CM walking through the queue with us. S

What could possibly go wrong? As long as he crashes with you or some construction site on property afterward...i'm all set.

Well one thing that works is that he will leave when the beer is gone.

But watch your camera and your KTTW card.

Work has been crazy busy lately. Your Christmas decoration pics thankfully provided a reality check that a fun time is just around the corner.

I wish I could transport you to the Fort so you could sit in a rocking chair and listen to some banjo Christmas tunes.

That would put you in a better place.

I am going to invite a pre-school class or two to the lazy river when it is complete.

Excellent idea.

I am also working on plans to provide transportation from the Fort pool to the Four Seasons for all the locals on the weekends.

Rumor has it they didn't bring back the thankful board this year because there were some unthankful people spouting off about steak fries on it the past couple of years. If there's one thing that IM do not like, it's unthankful french fry eaters.

Now I, on the other hand, am very thankful. I am thankful for a spankula pic. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...like I'm filled with Holiday spririt.

Yeah. I know. There were also constant complaints about dodge ball.

I took that spankula picture specially for you. I am glad you liked it.

why does the wagon go around in the morning? I thought that was a nighttime thing?

That's not normal.

I think they were training the drivers or horses or both.

5000th Post!!!!!!!!

I figured I would place it here for a couple reasons.

1. TCD is gone until Monday and my 5000th post could be used to start a thread hijack

2. Looking for TCD's trip reports is how I discovered Fort Fiends in the first place....therefore this post pays homage to the gentleman from Florida who's TRs brought me here......so blame him okay?

Congratulations on 5K.

And I'm honored that you posted your 5K post here.

Well done!

So does TCD work M-F and only do updates at work?

Something like that. Plus, I have better things to do on the weekends.

Like go to WDW or football games. Or both.

This weekend, though, is all about Christmas decorations. It's going to be like the MK at my house . . . all the decorations go up in one day like magic. Only there isn't any magic. Just me.

TCD

Your RMOG group were our neighbors. When I saw that kitchen set up I could not believe my eyes. They invited us to breakfast one morning, said he was cooking for so many, we may as well join. They took up at least 15 sites. They came over and asked about our sign. I told them to come over and introduce themselves on the boards. She said she would. They are the Wolf family, so she said their name would be wolfpack.

Begin hijack:

One thing that was not my fav this trip was all the darn groups. Great for them, Im sure they all had a great time, but it got a little crazy. We tried to loop through 1500 to check out the sites that sat empty all weekend that we couldn't have and, no joke, the group that had taken up the whole loop were doing a group aerobics class in the middle of the road. Hard core. Like they didn't want to move out of our way b/c they were taking it really seriously. In the middle of the road. First you reserve the entire 1500 loop and then you reserve the entire road. Not cool 1500 group, not cool.

Dear Fort Management, If you must reserve 20 sites all together, could you maybe not do it in 1500? Cause that is all the sites.

End of hijack. I feel a little better.

Your RMOG group were our neighbors. When I saw that kitchen set up I could not believe my eyes. They invited us to breakfast one morning, said he was cooking for so many, we may as well join. They took up at least 15 sites. They came over and asked about our sign. I told them to come over and introduce themselves on the boards. She said she would. They are the Wolf family, so she said their name would be wolfpack.

Begin hijack:

One thing that was not my fav this trip was all the darn groups. Great for them, Im sure they all had a great time, but it got a little crazy. We tried to loop through 1500 to check out the sites that sat empty all weekend that we couldn't have and, no joke, the group that had taken up the whole loop were doing a group aerobics class in the middle of the road. Hard core. Like they didn't want to move out of our way b/c they were taking it really seriously. In the middle of the road. First you reserve the entire 1500 loop and then you reserve the entire road. Not cool 1500 group, not cool.

Dear Fort Management, If you must reserve 20 sites all together, could you maybe not do it in 1500? Cause that is all the sites.

End of hijack. I feel a little better.

I am with you on this 100%

They did the same thing last Thanksgiving.

Must be the same group.

I say put the groups on 2000.

And, they need to start enforcing the 10 person per site rule. That is already generous enough, but some of these groups take advantage of it.

It's why I cough up the extra money for a premium site on holidays- it can be awful on 1500 when a few sites get taken over by a huge group.

And Wolfpack, if you're reading, welcome. But stop draining your dishwasher on the ground. That is gross. Just because the idiot Fort managers don't say anything about it doesn't make it right.

TCD

Rancocas Hospital?

My brother and sisters were born there!

My mom was an RN there.

It wasn't bad then, I'm sure.

TCD

They have changed the name a few times. Now it's Lourdes. I was born there too. They stopped delivering babies there about 3 years ago. A lot of the local Ob/gyn pulled out of there because it is now a Catholic hospital and they won't tie women's tubes and no one wanted to deliver there if they wanted their tubes tied because then it would be an extra surgery. We actually used to drive past it to go to another hospital because its so awful.

Great update!

Good to see that the hop scotch has been repainted. That has been there forever.I remember playing on that when I was 9-10. I'm 45 now, so its been there a longgggg time. I always think that they will replace that walkway and the hop scotch will be gone like so many other things that are only but a memory at the fort.

Looking forward to more on Monday!

Heidi

I’m pretty sure dish water is gray water, but that’s still pretty bad. I can’t believe they allow that. How do they haul in all those appliances?

Those teepees are crazy. Is it a scout troop or adults?

You are making me want to come for Thanksgiving now! And there are lots of Fiends there during that time. We’re already doing Easter 2013, so maybe I can talk Jason into Thanksgiving 2014. Wow, that seems like a long time away.

I’m disappointed you didn’t take any pictures of CKCK’s Georgia cart.

Have a great weekend, and thanks for cheering for the Dawgs! As far as Saban's crying about UF going to the Sugar Bowl, well, at least he got to play for the national championship without winning the SEC last year. UGA got screwed in 2007. I'm hoping karma is on our side.

An armadillo with leprosy... I had no idea. Good to know. We'll make sure to keep our distance. ;)

Hence the importance of wearing gloves when you clean your armadillo, and cooking thoroughly. Never eat rare armadillo.

And Wolfpack, if you're reading, welcome. But stop draining your dishwasher on the ground. That is gross. Just because the idiot Fort managers don't say anything about it doesn't make it right.

TCD

Agree. It's as I've said many times before -- the Fort management lets the inmates run the asylum. It's pretty much do whatever you want...except burning a campfire in one of these safe fire pits with a metal mesh cover on top:

41rJFzkkSkL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

If you DARE do this, one of those Fort "rangers" will most certainly show up and douse your fire with the hose.

Everything else, though, is fair game. Like driving against traffic down one way roads, ten-year-old children driving golf carts, golf carts equipped with diesel train horns that get blown over and over and over and over again, and allowing your children to have light saber duels with flashlights on the screen of the campfire movie while the movie is going on.

Hey! It's a free country! Do whatever makes you happy!

Great update!

Good to see that the hop scotch has been repainted. That has been there forever.I remember playing on that when I was 9-10. I'm 45 now, so its been there a longgggg time. I always think that they will replace that walkway and the hop scotch will be gone like so many other things that are only but a memory at the fort.

Looking forward to more on Monday!

Heidi

I didn't know that hop scotch court had been there that long. That's cool that you remember it from when you were a kid.

I'm glad that they repainted it instead of letting it disappear, like they have allowed so many of the old special things to do.

Did someone say hops... and scotch? Be right back....I'll get my glass

A true Fiend!

I’m pretty sure dish water is gray water, but that’s still pretty bad. I can’t believe they allow that. How do they haul in all those appliances?

Those teepees are crazy. Is it a scout troop or adults?

You are making me want to come for Thanksgiving now! And there are lots of Fiends there during that time. We’re already doing Easter 2013, so maybe I can talk Jason into Thanksgiving 2014. Wow, that seems like a long time away.

I’m disappointed you didn’t take any pictures of CKCK’s Georgia cart.

Have a great weekend, and thanks for cheering for the Dawgs! As far as Saban's crying about UF going to the Sugar Bowl, well, at least he got to play for the national championship without winning the SEC last year. UGA got screwed in 2007. I'm hoping karma is on our side.

Sorry about the outcome of the SECCG. Y'all almost did it.

That group with the appliances have trailers that they haul all the stuff in on.

As for the tee pees- it is a group of tee pee enthusiasts who have camped at the Fort for Thanksgiving week for years. They have a website, but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a couple of years. Here's the link, as it has some of the history and some photos: http://www.tipis.org/lodge_owners.htm

Great report. Keep up the good work. Thanks

Thanks, I am glad that you like it so far.

I am about to crank out another update, so check back soon.

TCD's trip reports made me go from a lurker to a member. Thank you TCD.

No, thank you.

It is always great when someone de-lurks and becomes an active part of this board.

This place would be boring if we didn't have all the active members that we do.

TMI alert!!

Last year I stayed two sites down from this display and every night on the way to the comfort station this Santa scared the pee out of me when he moved. EVERY NIGHT!!!

Guess you didn't need the comfort station after that?!? Haha!

LOL.

The spankula is back!! :jumpforjoy

Everything after that was just a blur. (I'm easily distracted)

Yes, I broke out the spankula!

I'm sorry for distracting you.

Agree. It's as I've said many times before -- the Fort management lets the inmates run the asylum. It's pretty much do whatever you want...except burning a campfire in one of these safe fire pits with a metal mesh cover on top:

41rJFzkkSkL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

If you DARE do this, one of those Fort "rangers" will most certainly show up and douse your fire with the hose.

Everything else, though, is fair game. Like driving against traffic down one way roads, ten-year-old children driving golf carts, golf carts equipped with diesel train horns that get blown over and over and over and over again, and allowing your children to have light saber duels with flashlights on the screen of the campfire movie while the movie is going on.

Hey! It's a free country! Do whatever makes you happy!

Preach it brother Troll!

I guess I am lucky the kids with the train whistle stayed on the 1400 loop.

Those Rangers must have forgot to patrol the 800 loop. There were folks near me with big fires with no cover at all on their fire pits.

And those diswasher people had a propane fire pit, which the Fort rules say are a no-no.

I guess the Rangers just like to pick on Trolls.

TCD

An armadillo with leprosy... I had no idea. Good to know. We'll make sure to keep our distance. ;)

Sunrise over the SW spankula? :rofl2:

The Thanksgiving RMOG recipient is worthy. A dishwasher and full arsenal of appliances. :bravo:

As far as the Sanford and Son site.... I will observe TCDMR also.

It is pretty well established that armadillos can carry leprosy.

Here's a New York Times article on the subject: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/health/28leprosy.html

A few years back, my sister and her kids visited us on a trip at the Fort. The cousins were out on a golf cart ride, and came across a couple of boys trying to catch an armadillo. They watched as one of the boys finally caught it, and carried back to his campsite to show his mom. One of them had a picture of the kid on their phone. It was hilarious. I hope the kid is OK.

Hence the importance of wearing gloves when you clean your armadillo, and cooking thoroughly. Never eat rare armadillo.

Agreed.

Rare armadillo is gross.

Armadillo is a dish best served cold.

Gross.

I have a friend with leprosy. They think he got it from cleaning a wild animal, probably armadillo. It is called Hanson disease now, sounds better, can be controlled, but not cured.

Wow. It's hard to believe that people still contract leprosy and also hard to believe there is no cure.

Stay away from the armadillos!

For these reasons I will stick with the Bleeding Armadillo Cake.... as seen in Steel Magnolias. I have a fear of undercooked armadillo.

Bleeding Armadillo Cake?

What The Fort is that?

I thought you were kidding, but I googled it.

This must have shown up after I fell asleep watching that movie:

4747870374_91ab909453_z.jpg

That is sweet and nasty!

TCD

Time to crank it back up!

We left off on Tuesday morning as I did a little looping while the girls got ready for our afternoon.

One last look at the canal from behind the 1800 loop. In case you don't know, this is a pet walk area. You can see the poop bag dispenser on the left center of this photo:

Thanksgiving2012277.jpg

From here, I looped around the 300 loop. I was trying to catch Monique and Brian, but no luck. I did get to visit with them briefly when they were out looping one day and stopped by my site.

This Class C was on the last site in the 300 loop:

Thanksgiving2012278.jpg

If the dishwasher guy wasn't in the 2000 loop, this guy would have won the TCD Real Man Of Genius award:

278rv.jpg

I wonder if anyone sleeps in the bunk over the cab?

Some decorations on the 500 loop:

Thanksgiving2012279.jpg

And here we are taking a look at Judy's site on 100:

Thanksgiving2012280.jpg

And the site next to Judy's:

Thanksgiving2012281.jpg

Thanksgiving2012282.jpg

There goes another wagon! :

Thanksgiving2012283.jpg

And here's another Snoopy. Get out:

Thanksgiving2012284.jpg

That's all the photos I have from my late morning looping.

When everyone was ready, we decided to strike out for our afternoon plans.

Our main objective was to eat lunch at the new Be Our Guest restaurant in the MK.

We headed down to the marina. When the MK boat arrived, it had the split red/green flag flying and we were told that the boat would be stopping at the Lodge to pick up guests before heading to the MK. At the same time, the resort boat had arrived, and was about to depart for the Contemporary. We decided to take the resort boat.

And upon our arrival at the Contemporary, we decided to take the monorail rather than walk. That gave us a chance to see the Contemporary's Christmas decorations, including this gingerbread Christmas tree:

Thanksgiving2012285.jpg

Thanksgiving2012286.jpg

This sign tells a little about what this is all about. Note that the sign says there are 14 Hidden Mickeys in the display:

Thanksgiving2012287.jpg

There were some people there trying to find all the Hidden Mickeys.

A castmember pointed out this one:

Thanksgiving20122861.jpg

That's pretty lame.

We only found that one.

And didn't look for any more.

That sign also mentions that the display is inspired by the art of Mary Blair.

Do you know who that is?

Hang on for a minute and we'll get there.

Here we are on the monorail peeking out the window at the Seven Seas Lagoon:

Thanksgiving2012288.jpg

And here's a look out the other window at the big murals in the Contemporary Resort:

Thanksgiving2012289.jpg

Thanksgiving2012290.jpg

Mary Blair is the artist who designed these.

I think she also worked on the Small World ride.

Here we are just outside of the Contemporary looking out over Bay Lake, and the Wilderness from which the Fort and Lodge take their names:

Thanksgiving2012291.jpg

Thanksgiving2012292.jpg

There is just one small problem. Actually, to me it's a big problem.

The darned Four Season resort is sticking up there above the trees:

292zoom.jpg

Boo!

There probably going to put a big Snoopy statue on the roof, too.

For sake of comparison, here's the roofline of the Wilderness Lodge- you see how it blends in with its surroundings? :

Thanksgiving2012293.jpg

There's the WL boat (it has a red flag) :

Thanksgiving2012294.jpg

You can see the construction going on across the Seven Seas Lagoon on the new DVC addition to the Grand Floridian:

Thanksgiving2012295.jpg

Thanksgiving2012296.jpg

And here's a closer look at the construction from the monorail:

Thanksgiving2012297.jpg

Thanksgiving2012298.jpg

Thanksgiving2012299.jpg

There's the new splash area for the Grand Floridian:

Thanksgiving2012300.jpg

Now here we are looking across the Seven Seas Lagoon:

Thanksgiving2012301.jpg

There's the Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower:

Thanksgiving2012302.jpg

Let's take a closer look at that photo-look what is popping up behind Wilderness Lodge:

302zoom.jpg

Sorry for so many Four Seasons photos- but it really bothers me, so I had to share.

Next up, we will finish our circle around the Seven Seas Lagoon and head in to the Magic Kingdom.

TCD