DaveInTN's Christmas 2012 Extravaganza (AKA 700 Photos Of Anna and Food)

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great update, Dave! I loved the safari commentary. I think you should become a driver for the safari. You are a lot better than what they have there now. It's funny that you mention stopping to see sh

Don't forget Anna has LOTS of Aunts and Uncles. I think we could arrange an evening or afternoon for 2 :)

Hey Carol, for further clarification, I asked Anna. Her response was "это отстой обезьяны окурки".

1. I caught the glass blower or not comment? ????

2. Anna is beautiful in her Princess attire. My Princess declared it.

3. The rope around the tree is just a shame, pure laziness. If you put it up there, then get a ladder and take it down..

Thanks for the comments, Bo! Glad you caught my odd glass humor. :)

Never dis the MPR. MPR saves lives. True story.

Great updates! A DaveInTN TR has it all!

Yes, my trip reports DO have it all....except timely updates. I will get back to updating this report soon, hopefully tonight. Work has been a bit tough lately. But we still have a fair amount to cover here and I need to get to it.

There has been a lot of drama in my life lately....at work and here online. What do you say we get back to some good, old fashioned trip reporting??

She Must Be Getting Verklempt

Our plan for the evening was to hang around at DHS long enough to see the Osborne Lights. We had seen them a couple of years before, but can you ever have too many Christmas lights?

After riding TSM, we wandered over toward the Streets of America, and this is what we found.

DSCN1664.JPG

Cool! We had made it before they threw the switch for the evening.

Mulch, Sweat and Shears was playing a set. We watched them for a few minutes, and we all decided it was time for a snack. So I got in line for hot pretzels.

While I was in line, they did the count down, threw the switch for the lights, and turned on the snow machine. The scene changed remarkably in just one minute!

DSCN1665.JPG

What a difference from the first picture above to the second one, eh?

It was festive scene for sure! So festive, that I changed my mind on getting hot pretzels....and decided to get hot pretzels AND beer!

Disney sure has a way of making you feel like you just WANT to open up that wallet. "It's so beautiful! What a wonderful day. We need beer!".

Here are the ladies...with INC drinking my beer.

DSCN1671.JPG

It's amazing...even though it was snowing we were quite comfortable.

Have you seen enough Osborne Light pictures in the past couple of months? Well too bad.

DSCN1666.JPG

DSCN1667.JPG

DSCN1668.JPG

DSCN1669.JPG

DSCN1670.JPG

The lights really are beautiful. I am definitely pro-Osborne Lights. They most definitely do NOT SMB.

We spent some time under the canopy.

DSCN1672.JPG

DSCN1674.JPG

DSCN1675.JPG

Anna loved all the lights, and it really wasn't terribly crowded, so we got her out of the stroller to do some dancing.

DSCN1676.JPG

DSCN1677.JPG

DSCN1679.JPG

DSCN1680.JPG

Probably enough lights pics.

We left the lights and began wandering toward the park exit. We hadn't had dinner yet, and were not interested in eating at DHS that night.

Near Pizza Planet, we found this guy.

DSCN1681.JPG

At around this time, the girls decided they wanted to ride Star Tours again. The line wasn't bad, so the older girls and INC went to do that, while I took the others toward the park exit to hit some shops.

I had never been in Sid Cahuenga's One Of A Kind Shop, so in we went.

This place had some pretty cool stuff!

If you've never been in, they have some actual artifacts and props used in movies. Stuff like this.

DSCN1683.JPG

That was worn by Dick Van Dyke as Burt in Mary Poppins.

I think the wild womenz need to break into Sid's some night and steal that jacket. MPR and all. Or, they could just buy it. I think it was $6,500.

They also sell a lot items from Hollywood celebrities homes. Like Lloyd Bridges' nail clippers (not really), Susan Sarandon's old toilet seat (not really), and some overpriced crap from Barbra Steisand (really).

DSCN1682.JPG

Oh, what's that? You noticed that Barbra's crap items are marked down?

Gee, it's hard to believe no one wanted to pay $350 for Barbra's nail file. It probably still has ground up fingernail residue on it. And that's Barbra's fingernail residue! Heck, if you are a Barbra fan (I'm not) wouldn't you gladly pay $350 for her old fingernails?

Apparently no one would. So it was marked down to $250. And still it sits at old Sid's shop.

Poor Barbara. She must be getting all verklempt. No one wants her old crap lovely household items.

Can you tell I'm not a Barbra fan? (I'm not). Barbra definitely SMB. And as far as I'm concerned she can pound sand. Although I did like the Fokker movies. But that's it. Someday after a couple of beers around a campfire, maybe I'll tell you my sad childhood tale of why I don't like Barbra. It's probably not what you think. Although that doesn't help matters.

MOVING ALONG!

We met back up with the ladies after Star Tours. Did I fail to mention that Emma was the rebel spy the first time we rode? I think I did. Well she was. But this time she wasn't. None of my gang was this time. Anyways, we hit the bus and decided that we'd get off at the Lodge to grab some grub at Roaring Forks.

Unfortunately we had a rare DaveInTN pood forn FAIL, and I forgot to get pics until we were finished. But I did get pics of our dirty plates.

DSCN1684.JPG

We saved them, just in case one of the girls is famous someday. Those will fetch a PRETTY PENNY at Sid's.

After dinner, I did have to get one of these ......the wonderful, moist, chewy, out of this world Magic Cookie Bar!

DSCN1685.JPG

And that was about it for December 30.

Which means that the next day was December 31. New Years Eve!

We planned a Fort day. No way was I fighting those crowds in the parks. We hung out....and a secret mission unfolded! That is coming up in the next update!

OMG, when did Barbara die?

Isn't it commonly understood that if something is from the Estate of __________, that the person is deceased?

That is a strange store. I heard somewhere that it's going to be closing soon. I am surprised that it has lasted as long as it has.

I can never see too many Osborne light photos.

Or Anna dancing photos.

I wish I had a Magic Cookie bar right now.

I am really looking forward to the report from 12/31. That's where I come in.

TCD

Love the lights pictures. I have like/dislike relationship with Barb. I like her in certain movies and don't in others. Also I have a brother that LOVES Barb.... one can only take so much of Barb's singing....

I can take her singing over her speaking .

Not a Barb fan either. More importantly I AM a fan of a Dave TR. And magic cookie bars.

Love the Osbourne lights photos. Nope not tired of them yet.

Even better are the TN girls photos. Great family!

Thanks KFK! Babs SMB. Got it.

OMG, when did Barbara die?

Isn't it commonly understood that if something is from the Estate of __________, that the person is deceased?

That is a strange store. I heard somewhere that it's going to be closing soon. I am surprised that it has lasted as long as it has.

I can never see too many Osborne light photos.

Or Anna dancing photos.

I wish I had a Magic Cookie bar right now.

I am really looking forward to the report from 12/31. That's where I come in.

TCD

I'm pretty sure she is not dead. I saw a news report this morning that she is signing on the Oscars telecast this year. Which would be sort of awkward if she were dead .

Anna dancing! Fuego!

Lights. Fuego!

Cookie Bar. Fuego!

Ripping on Babs. Fuego!

Thats four Fuegos out of four.

Nice Update.

Oh yeah.....one more for TCD..........

FUEGO!

FIVE FUEGOS!??! Ay Carumba!!

LOVE THIS PICTURE!!!!!!!!!! :heartsmiley: :heartsmiley: :heartsmiley: :heartsmiley: :heartsmiley: :heartsmiley: :heartsmiley: :heartsmiley: :heartsmiley: :heartsmiley:

Yeah, I wish it were clearer. It looks like she just yelled "Jazz Hands!".

Dave forgot food pics?

Even in my household someone will say "Don't you want to take food pics for Dave?"

FAIL

Your family pics made me forget what a loser you are though. :raspberry2:

Anna & Stella pic is my fave. :heart:

I've never been inside of Sid's. Guess I haven't missed much.

Dave forgot food pics?

Even in my household someone will say "Don't you want to take food pics for Dave?"

FAIL

Your family pics made me forget what a loser you are though. :raspberry2:

Anna & Stella pic is my fave. :heart:

I've never been inside of Sid's. Guess I haven't missed much.

Sid's is worth a 10 minute detour...especially if it is going to be going away at some point. Go see it once.

And yes, I know I FAILED on the RF pood forn. This time at least.

we need a Jazz hands smilie

Oh Mo!!

Sorry, I forgot to say congratulations to Emma for being the Rebel Spy!!!

That's a big deal to the TCD gang.

Oh, and I also liked the Stella/Anna photo.

TCD

We were all kinda shocked to see her face up on the screen. Pretty cool!

Behind the butt

in the tiled room

two moose brothers

one moose tune

I awoke on December 31st with those words still haunting me.

Melvin the Moose, at the Country Bear Jamboree a couple of days earlier, had told me about that cryptic message being delivered to him from his brother Melvin. It was delivered by an albino monk, which is odd in itself. I remembered TCD talking about an albino monk in a recent trip report, so it was quite coincidental when he pulled up in front of site 524 that morning to say hello.

I told him about my encounter with Country Bear Melvin, and he was scratching his head over it as well. We talked about the possible meanings, and figured that it HAD to be a clue from Pioneer Hall Melvin about his whereabouts...or about something that would solve the mystery surrounding the abrupt cancellation of the Melvin the Moose Breakfast Show back in the mid-1980's.

Since Melvin was being held captive backstage at Pioneer Hall when we had rescued him last year, we decided to wander over there and have a look around. We figured that maybe there were some clues which would help us decipher the cryptic poem.

We had a look around Pioneer Hall (in only the publicly accessible areas, of course), but nothing jumped out at us regarding Melvin's words. "Behind the butt?". What tiled room?? This was too weird.

Unfortunately, I had had one cup of coffee too many and needed to hit the mens room. As I walked in there, I chuckled as always at the ridiculous mural on the wall.

pickinticks.jpg

That mural always cracks me up.

I bet Disney wouldn't design something like that these days. It might offend someone. Which is too bad. It's funny. Who wouldn't laugh at a bunch of cowboys scratching themselves? Especially the one showing off his butt...which is pretty odd in a men's room. But whatever.

A tiled butt.

Say what?

Holy cow! A butt in a tiled room!

I yelled for Andrew to come check it out. Not the butt. But my find relative to Melvin's message.

"Behind the butt...in the tiled room".

Could it be?

We examined the tile around the section of the mural with the cowboy butts, and the bottom of one of the tiles had a tiny piece of metal sticking out. I tried pulling on it, but nothing happened. TCD had a swiss army knife in his pocket, and he used it to wiggle the metal piece a bit, noticing that it moved slightly to one side. He pushed on it, and the metal piece actually slid to the side, which released the tile with the butt on it, opening it like the door of a safe deposit box.

What the Fort!??!

Inside the little chamber behind the tile was a rolled up piece of paper...like parchment paper used in the old days. We grabbed it, closed the tile back up and got out of there before a CM wandered in. We went back to my campsite and carefully unrolled the paper.

Inside the rolled up paper were 2 perfectly preserved, original Melvin The Moose Breakfast Show kazoos!

What a find!

Here is one of them.

DSCN2001.JPG

Score!

I have ALWAYS wanted one of those. As has TCD. We had just found 2 of them, so we each agreed to keep one in safekeeping. But that's not all.

It turns out the mystery was about to grow deeper. And those kazoos would need to play a role in unraveling it.

The parchment paper included a hand written note. It said:

At River Country

Under A Harvest Moon

Two Moose Brothers

Must Play This Tune

If Done Correctly

An Open Door

Will Welcome You Into

The Treasure Filled Utilidor

Then printed on the page was the sheet music for the Portuguese National Anthem.

Portugal?? Treasure filled utilidor??

At this point, I was lost. And so was TCD. Neither of us knew anyone from Portugal, much less could figure out a connection between Portugal, Melvin the Moose and Buried Treasure.

What could it all mean? I was growing weary of these incessant Melvin related mysteries. We thought about it for quite a while, but couldn't figure it out. It seemed that the note was saying we needed to get BOTH Melvins together in River Country and have them play the Portuguese National Anthem on the two kazoos, which would open up a secret door into a treasure filled utilidor. Could that be? Why was there a utilidor in River Country? Did it have anything to do with the blue pools over there now? Do you have any ideas? We could all be rich if we figure it out.

In the meantime, I plan on making a shadow box to preserve and display some of my Fort treasures...the kazoo, my spike, an actual TCD Ranch horseshoe, and some Fort and River Country pins. Pretty cool, huh?

DSCN2002.JPG

So once again, a trip to the Fort for me resulted in further mystery.

I need to figure out the Portuguese connection.

And I need to hatch a plan to get both Melvins together in River Country.

I'm going to need some help. Any volunteers?