DaveInTN's Christmas 2012 Extravaganza (AKA 700 Photos Of Anna and Food)

Dave, I'll bet your neighbors were delighted by the sounds they got to hear that day!

Love the playground pictures. That one with Stella and Anna going down the slide is pure joy. Just like Stella's shirt says, "Love, love love love!!".

I worked for a Cheerwine bottler when I lived in Charlotte. It's big stuff in those parts. SunDrop, too.

I am also from NY state, but the "Southern Tier" area (Binghamton/Oneonta), kind of central/south along the border of NY & PA. We said soda, but all of my relatives in Buffalo said pop. We visited them a lot so I grew up hearing that a lot, also. I remember drinking "pop" while munching on these potato chips that came in a big red, white and blue box at my aunt's. I cannot remember the name, but they didn't sell them in our part of NY and they were SO good.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great update, Dave! I loved the safari commentary. I think you should become a driver for the safari. You are a lot better than what they have there now. It's funny that you mention stopping to see sh

Don't forget Anna has LOTS of Aunts and Uncles. I think we could arrange an evening or afternoon for 2 :)

Hey Carol, for further clarification, I asked Anna. Her response was "это отстой обезьяны окурки".

The Stella thread?

Just a suggestion.

Great pix of the Osborne lights.

We were there that same night. We were right in front of the big switch when they turned on the lights. Dont know how we missed you! (Among the thousands of people there).

Great pix of the park, pool and the burping contest. But if your going to give your kids wine don't put it on the Internet. Give them a coke to drink instead. Any kind will do.

As for Dave's story and TCD backing him up, as my Mother would say:

One lies, and the other one swears to it.

I saw Cheerwine at our Publix just last week!

I am so in for the burp contest with the DaveinTn family. I am the reigning champ in this house. :clint:

You're on! Maybe if you're lucky, I'll perform my "Emperor from Star Wars while burping".

Dave, I'll bet your neighbors were delighted by the sounds they got to hear that day!

Love the playground pictures. That one with Stella and Anna going down the slide is pure joy. Just like Stella's shirt says, "Love, love love love!!".

I worked for a Cheerwine bottler when I lived in Charlotte. It's big stuff in those parts. SunDrop, too.

I am also from NY state, but the "Southern Tier" area (Binghamton/Oneonta), kind of central/south along the border of NY & PA. We said soda, but all of my relatives in Buffalo said pop. We visited them a lot so I grew up hearing that a lot, also. I remember drinking "pop" while munching on these potato chips that came in a big red, white and blue box at my aunt's. I cannot remember the name, but they didn't sell them in our part of NY and they were SO good.

I grew up in Chautauqua County...and had relatives in the Southern Tier near Olean and Salamanca. West of from where you were though.

It's still Coke :)

Ditto

I've never understood that. What if you were drinking Dr. Pepper? It was still Coke?

The Stella thread?

Just a suggestion.

Great pix of the Osborne lights.

We were there that same night. We were right in front of the big switch when they turned on the lights. Dont know how we missed you! (Among the thousands of people there).

Great pix of the park, pool and the burping contest. But if your going to give your kids wine don't put it on the Internet. Give them a coke to drink instead. Any kind will do.

Duly noted.

Oh almost forget. We're you hitting the bottle when you typed Barbara Streisand's wrong several times...Barbra. Or is that a hint into your past and why you don't like her?

She actually spells her name "Barbra". Don't ask me why. But that's not why I don't like her.

I have to be the naysayer.

Cheerwine isn't good. I had friends in college who were all about it.

I didn't get it.

Always naysaying.

btw, I loved the slide video.

Except for your feet.

I'm actually kinda glad you don't like my feet.

My kids prefer to have arm fart and leg fart contests.

No! I did not teach them how to do these things.

That is fun too! Maybe we should do that at Defeated Creek if you can make it.

Dave, I just loved every picture of the girls at the playground. Anna on the swing, Stella in the pool! I had a rough day and seeing those happy girls gave me the smile I needed.

Cheerwine is new to me. Christopher makes fun of me because I cannot make myself burp. I will have to volunteer to be a judge in the contest!

Ok, spill it. What makes BBQ "Lexington style"?

Gwen needs to let me know what it is. We have quite a few BBQ joints around. I just need to track it down.

TCD

For photos and an explanation of Lexington barbecue, see here: http://kevinsbbqjoints.com/blog/2010/12/07/wayne-monk-and-lexington-barbecue-bbq-joint-review/

Pork shoulders are slow cooked over hickory and oak without any sauce. Just salt.

We don't call the liquid a sauce here. It's dip. The dip is thin, vinegar based with a little sugar, some tomato, and spices. It is added to the meat once it's chopped or sliced. It is also used to make the brown coleslaw.

I don't think you will find a true Lexington barbecue outside of my area. And the barbecue restaurants outside NC we have been to don't make barbecue slaw. It's the creamy white coleslaw instead, which IMHO ruins the taste of the barbecue.

When we finally make it back to the fort, I'll try to bring some with me.

I never knew Barbra Streisand spelled her name that way. Nor did I ever care. She's just plain annoying.

Maybe if the people in that store spelled her name right they would sell some of her junk. Lol

LOL! Yes, that's the reason the stuff isn't selling.

Dave, I just loved every picture of the girls at the playground. Anna on the swing, Stella in the pool! I had a rough day and seeing those happy girls gave me the smile I needed.

Cheerwine is new to me. Christopher makes fun of me because I cannot make myself burp. I will have to volunteer to be a judge in the contest!

Maybe y'all could have a belching contest at WWW.

:gaah: I can't keep up! Love the pool photos! There is entirely too much cuteness in that update.

Don't stress out Kimmie!!

For photos and an explanation of Lexington barbecue, see here: http://kevinsbbqjoin...q-joint-review/

Pork shoulders are slow cooked over hickory and oak without any sauce. Just salt.

We don't call the liquid a sauce here. It's dip. The dip is thin, vinegar based with a little sugar, some tomato, and spices. It is added to the meat once it's chopped or sliced. It is also used to make the brown coleslaw.

I don't think you will find a true Lexington barbecue outside of my area. And the barbecue restaurants outside NC we have been to don't make barbecue slaw. It's the creamy white coleslaw instead, which IMHO ruins the taste of the barbecue.

Well, great. Now I'm hankering for some BBQ and I haven't even had breakfast yet.

I've had what they call "East Carolina" bbq in that article and it's not my favorite thing...the vinegar sauce with NO tomato. But the Lexington, with a little tomato and sugar, sounds right up my alley. And I'm a huge cole slaw fan, especially of the German variety my grandma used to make...vinegary. So THAT sounds good too.

Ya think I could make it to Lexington BBQ by lunch time if I drive real fast?

You're on! Maybe if you're lucky, I'll perform my "Emperor from Star Wars while burping".

I have to hear that!

That brought up a great Fort memory for me.

Back in the day, there used to be a weekend every year that we camped at the Fort with a group from my daughters' school.

One day a couple of boys came by our site with 2 liter bottles of coke. They were there to impress the ladies by showing how they could burp the alphabet.

One kid really could to it. The other not so much.

I always thought the kid who could burp the alphabet was going to go places. He also could turn his eye lids inside out, and put lizards on his ears like earrings. I still hope he might be my future son-in-law.

For photos and an explanation of Lexington barbecue, see here: http://kevinsbbqjoin...q-joint-review/

Oh my goodness, that sounds good.

I'm going to hold you to that offer of bringing some with you to the Fort!

Ya think I could make it to Lexington BBQ by lunch time if I drive real fast?

Heck yeah!

Road Trip!

You better leave now!

TCD

I have to hear that!

That brought up a great Fort memory for me.

Back in the day, there used to be a weekend every year that we camped at the Fort with a group from my daughters' school.

One day a couple of boys came by our site with 2 liter bottles of coke. They were there to impress the ladies by showing how they could burp the alphabet.

One kid really could to it. The other not so much.

I always thought the kid who could burp the alphabet was going to go places. He also could turn his eye lids inside out, and put lizards on his ears like earrings. I still hope he might be my future son-in-law.

That kid sounds like a keeper.

Crappy New Year!

After resting a bit from our Fortin' day of kazoo mysteries, playgrounds, dog parks and pools...it was soon time to get ready for our big dinner out at Chef Mickey's!

We had eaten at CM's twice before...both times for breakfast. So this was our first chance to eat dinner with Mickey and his pals. The kids were excited!

Stella got into the spirit.

DSCN1728.JPG

A familiar scene to anyone with daughters.

DSCN1729.JPG

We headed down to the marina to catch the resort boat to the Contemporary.

DSCN1739.JPG

We got the boat direct to the CR without having to stop at the Lodge first...leaving us a bit of time to kill. So we got some family pictures.

DSCN1740.JPG

DSCN1741.JPG

DSCN1743.JPG

DSCN1742.JPG

DSCN1744.JPG

DSCN1745.JPG

DSCN1746.JPG

At about this point, a security guard came walking up to us. I thought we were going to be yelled at. But he asked if we wanted to get the entire family in the photo. We said "sure!". I told him that I thought he was coming to tell us not to climb on the ears, and he laughed and said "that's what they are here for!".

So we all got to be in the picture.

DSCN1747.JPG

After that, we headed inside and up to the 4th floor to check in at Chef Mickeys.

Izzy was NOT feeling well, so we declined the family photo opportunity and just sat down to wait to be called. It didn't take long, and we were lead to our table.

Mickey himself was the first to come around.

Anna LOVES her some Mickey!

DSCN1749.JPG

DSCN1751.JPG

Next up....Pluto.

Notice what Anna is doing. LOL!

DSCN1755.JPG

Now at this time, and before we had even eaten anything, poor Izzy became quite ill. She wasn't able to stay, so INC left with her to head back to the Fort, and the rest of us stayed but it wasn't the same.

Minnie came around.

DSCN1757.JPG

Izzy had made up an autograph book with drawings of each of the characters at Chef Mickey's, so Stella made sure that we got all the autographs on her behalf.

DSCN1758.JPG

DSCN1759.JPG

DSCN1761.JPG

Goofy time!

DSCN1763.JPG

DSCN1764.JPG

Duck!

DSCN1766.JPG

With Izzy being sick and having to leave with INC, I didn't get any food pics. Just wasn't feeling it...plus it was so hectic corraling Anna every time a character came by.

By we did get dessert pics.

DSCN1767.JPG

DSCN1768.JPG

So....there you have it. Crappy New Year!

I can't give an honest review of the restaurant under the circumstances. I don't recall the food being all that great, but it's hard to really say.

One nice thing...our server removed the charges for INC and Izzy from the bill, as they never even ate anything. We stopped at the Contempo Cafe afterward to grab a salad to bring back for INC. And that was that.

Coming up...the New Years Eve fireworks....

Didn't I remember Anna going after Goofy the last time you where there? It might just be my memory going bad.lol

I love the picture of the family at the Micky sculpture.

I'm sorry Izzy was sick while you where there. I am glad they didnt stick you with the bill

Oh, man, that was crappy!

Sorry about Izzy being sick!

That stinks!

I love how Anna goes after the characters!

All the girls looked beautiful dressed up for dinner.

TCD

Thanks! It was too bad with Izzy...she wasn't feeling well for a good part of this trip. But she had a lot of fun nonetheless.

Yes, Anna LOVES characters. No fear.

It might have been a crappy night but the pictures are great!! Go Anna and get those characters

Thanks! Go Anna!

Didn't I remember Anna going after Goofy the last time you where there? It might just be my memory going bad.lol

I love the picture of the family at the Micky sculpture.

I'm sorry Izzy was sick while you where there. I am glad they didnt stick you with the bill

I went back and looked at those pics...she seemed to love all the characters, but it looks like she attacked Pluto the most.

P1020736.JPG

Looks like a good evening with the remaining kiddos though!! Anna is a smart one, Mickey is my hero!!!!!

Yep! Mickey is the best.