Being a Florida resident I am used to the discounted rate of between 65.00 to 72.00 rates for the preferred sites, I was going to book my next trip for the week of March 26 and found the florida resident rate was 110.00 per night, basically no discount, am I spoiled or is the Mouse getting greedy?

Is the mouse getting greedy, probably yes - but....

Pricing is set just like everything else, supply and demand.  The dates you are looking for are in the middle of "peak season" due to spring break visitors.  There is a lot of demand and very little supply.

You are not being given a discount, those are full rack rates.  Peak season runs Feb 21 - April 16 with base pricing (no tax) for a Preferred site is $102 per night during the week and $105 Friday/Saturday nights.

You can always do what I just did and stay off site and go and visit fiends at the Fort.  You get what you pay for and it is a bit of a hassle, but if you are on a budget/or you like to go more often and can, it might just be an option.

Thousand Trails has weekend packages as does several other DVC type places, even though they are "owned" resorts and they are close by.

This topic is what started the ball rolling for me getting banned on some other site - somebody asked if staying at the fort was worth it, and I said no.  I believe the mouse is approaching that price where it just isn't going to be worth it to stay at FW anymore.  If neighboring camgrounds are smart, instead of raising their fees to that level, they will keep the prices down and offer more activities to attract campers.  If the mouse sees revenues falling and empty campsites during "peak" season, maybe they will rethink things.  Either that or Bobby will use it as an excuse to shut it down and expand the proposed DVC resort.  Amazing that during this recession, Disney has done nothing but raise prices.

I don't think it helps that "spring break" for the school districts varies greatly this year. Pretty much of all April is going to be high..and the same goes with February, so many have Presidents week off.

It does make you wonder though, as they are offering discounts for summer rates for the resorts...(although, they raised the prices for this year considerably first)..So, again you're not getting that same bang for your buck you were getting before if you waited for a discounted rate.

When we were there the first week of Feb, I was amazed at all the empty sites.  I took a pics of the vast supply of empty sites (which will be in a future ride report).  And all the while I wasn't able to get a reservation for those dates other than a popup.  As I assumed, when I showed up they put me right into premium at my request and we got the best site we've had so far!  I believe I paid just under 70 bucks for the mid week days.  I did have some sort of discount that they had sent me in the mail though. 

And yes, it's getting expensive.  I hope Disney isn't reading this, but it hasn't reached my threshold.  We only go once a year, and only stay for seven days.  The price per night isn't what makes me re-consider the trip, it's the 6 mpg and 3.00-4.00 gas prices.  But that's my problem....

Our lousy school board just took away our weeklong breaks in Sep and Feb.  So what does any good Fiend do?, find some other time to go to FW.  I did have a discounted ressie for Sep but Feb was atrochious! :rofl2:

I think that the week of Thanksgiving is actually pretty reasonable.  Upper $60's for a full hook up.  If you can do the whole week, plan parks first part of week and then hang at the Fort from Turkey day onward.  Parks normally have extended hours starting the first weekend.

I am with Jim...looking for offsite places and will be visiting Fiends more often.  (just not where I was last weekend)

I agree with you on the offsite locations, but if I was going to do that I might as well stay home as I only live 15 minutes from Disney and the Fort.

It just isn't the same, I actually do not like going to the Park when i am not staying there, I am sure a certain amount of therapy might help with that.

It seems that not long after the first part of the year, Disney goes from Peak Season to Regular Season and completely skips the Value Season that used to exist from after Easter to about the 2nd week of June.

As much as I like going late May, I will probably need to curb my appetite for it & start sticking to the Fall vacations.

When we were there in January, thanks to Rhonda, we got AAA rates and they were around $60 (prefered) with tax.  I think that is a very good rate compared to some private CG we've stayed out.  The KOA in Wildwood, which is a DUMP was $40.

I actually got a discount rate for Mar 28 - Apr 1 ... not that $87.50 for a full hook up spot is a great deal.  :-\

I would be happy with that! when did you book, I have tried since last week and no discounts

Booked it Feb 11 using the FL Resident Discount ... that ended on the 13th, I think.

We are going to be at a big pet trade show for 4 days in mid March. I had originally booked FW, which is my heart's desire, but then I started thinking about what we would be doing for 2 full days and it was not Disney related so why pay Disney prices. For what 1 day at FW cost us we are staying at Turkey Lake for 5 days.  Not as nice, but we kept dinner ressies at Ohana and will do Epcot on Saturday.  I am booking in May which I think was less expensive.

I am with Jim...looking for offsite places and will be visiting Fiends more often.  (just not where I was last weekend)

I agree with you on the offsite locations, but if I was going to do that I might as well stay home as I only live 15 minutes from Disney and the Fort.

It just isn't the same, I actually do not like going to the Park when i am not staying there, I am sure a certain amount of therapy might help with that.

ok, I don't have your "problem" with mileage :heart:

You know though every time I rationalize to myself that the money is not worth it and we stay elsewhere (either at a Disney resort, or offsite), I go visit the Fort and literally KICK myself the entire time for not just biting the bullet and stay at the Fort.  I feel so lost when not staying there.

ok, I don't have your "problem" with mileage ;)

Yes it is a burden that I must bare, I mean with traffic and all it takes almost 20 mins. to get there. I do get some weird looks from people when we tell them where we live and why we are at the Fort every 5-6 weeks. I think Hilda and Judy have the right idea, living at the Fort separates you from the real world, there are now sirens, police helicopters, crime ( although last week someone stole someone's beer cooler) you just don't have to deal with anything but mouse prices, I prefer spending 10.00 per pack for smokes rather than leave the fort if we run out. I guess I have talked myself into the 110.00 per night rate haven't I?

Hey, stop your belly aching. How is Disney supposed to pay me my huge salary if they don't charge you outrages prices.

Think of it as helping out a fellow Fiend.

Now see, if this was posted on the other board, I'd have to say that I was just kidding so that some no nothing moderator wouldn't wag her finger at me and tell me I was being disrespectful.

Hey, stop your belly aching. How is Disney supposed to pay me my huge salary if they don't charge you outrages prices.

Think of it as helping out a fellow Fiend.

Now see, if this was posted on the other board, I'd have to say that I was just kidding so that some no nothing moderator wouldn't wag her finger at me and tell me I was being disrespectful.

They pay you to drive the Bus? I thought they were run by college interns.