It's The End of the World as We Know It-The TCD Gang's Last Fort Trip (BC)

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, TCD and I met in person right in line for TSM!! It was a highlight of my trip!!! I am not kidding, it truly was!!! Four weeks prior to that trip, I had been a healthy "normal" 44 year old lady. I

This thread is a weird combination of a Hallmark channel movie and a tissue commercial. I'm going to go watch monster trucks or something. Then hug my kids and forbid them to grow up.

Do my eyes deceive me? Did I actually make page 1 on a TCD report??

I was going to skip the comments and just plow through to get this report finished, bonus features and all. but this one comment has me scratching my head:

I'm trying to avoid any political comments online, so I'm not saying anything.  You all know where I stand.

Were we discussing politics?

Do you think the Mayor is to blame for the calliope switch-a-roo?

Are you pro wet-butt?

I'm lost.

TCD

I was going to skip the comments and just plow through to get this report finished, bonus features and all. but this one comment has me scratching my head:

Are you pro wet-butt?

I'm lost.

TCD

I was wondering about this one too but didn't want to comment as she was avoiding something

Are you pro wet-butt?

I'm lost.

TCD

I was wondering about this one too but didn't want to comment as she was avoiding something

I'm guessing just posted in the wrong thread

Nope, right thread.  Mo mentioned the title right before me.  Just look at the first part of the title.  It immediately brings politics to my mind.

Nope, right thread.  Mo mentioned the title right before me.  Just look at the first part of the title.  It immediately brings politics to my mind.

i am confused.  the title of the TR is based on an REM song.  thought it might be political (i don't remember) in this case i don't think Mo meant anything political by it

I'm guessing just posted in the wrong thread

That's what I was thinking, too.  Just a stray post.  But, I guess I was wrong.

Are you pro wet-butt?

Depends...

Witty!

Good job with that one liner!

Gotcha.  Thanks for not discussing politics.  This thread is just for fun.

i am confused.  the title of the TR is based on an REM song.  thought it might be political (i don't remember) in this case i don't think Mo meant anything political by it

I am confused too.  But no big surprise there.

How about we just move on with the bonus features?

TCD

No, I don't think Mo meant anything political.  It's just that every time I see your title it reminds me of some political things.  Please just ignore me!

No, I don't think Mo meant anything political.  It's just that every time I see your title it reminds me of some political things.  Please just ignore me!

Why would anyone want to ignore you, Gwen?

And don't worry, when it comes to politics, the only thing you can be sure of is change.  What is going on now is not the end of the world by any means.

see it reminds me of the infernal song.. that plays in my head for the rest of the day!

Yup, that song plays in my head every time I post an update.

Sorry, Nicki.  I didn't even know it was a song title.  Just YouTubed it.  Not sure if I've even heard the song before.  Anyway, I can see why you don't want it playing in your head!

LOL.

It played in my head as soon as I saw the title too; which is why i thanked TCD sarcastically in my first post

Yeah, sorry about it.

But, it's been playing in my head all summer.

TCD

Wow, page 44!

We are getting there.

We left off with our boat ride to the Fort.

And here we are! :

July12013164_zps90dad6da.jpg

As you can see from the small lake around the tetherball pole, it has rained a bit in these parts lately.  But that sky is looking kind of blue.  I was hoping that meant the rain was done.

It didn't look quite as wet on this stretch of the beach, but the sky didn't look quite as blue that way:

July12013165_zps931edd76.jpg

A thread was just started yesterday about the Lawnmower Tree.  Guess what I took photos of? :

July12013166_zps19c14245.jpg

July12013167_zpsb2a78e89.jpg

Since the tree has died and it is now just a decaying stump, more lawnmower parts can be seen than before:

ltdetail_zpsdf45bd9a.jpg

We stepped right up to the Trail's End take out counter and ordered our meal.

I took a photo to show that those fancy Joffrey's coffee machines have not yet arrived in these parts of the wilderness:

July12013168_zps8eda0d05.jpg

Twin #1 and I had our pick of tables on the porch.  There were lots of guests waiting around for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue, but nobody was using any of  the picnic tables. 

Miss Josie was hanging out on the porch, and I got to have a brief chat with her.  Since I'm usually at the Fort on weekends, I don't see her every trip.

Our chicken was going to take about 15 minutes, so that gave me a chance to take a stroll down to check on River Country.  Someone had started a thread here asking about rumors that there was new construction equipment and activity going on there, so I had to go and check on that.

I stepped off the porch and headed toward River Country.

I noticed that the overgrown landscaping in front of the spot where the old River Country wagon used to be on display has been replaced:

July12013169_zps808fb196.jpg

I guess as long as that fenced-in area remains, there is hope that that wagon will come back one day.  I wonder if people look at that oval of fence and wonder why its there?

The crepe myrtle trees just past the playground are starting to bloom:

July12013170_zps7ddf5484.jpg

Nothing new was going on around Clementine's Beach:

July12013171_zps5b90b865.jpg

The old River Country entrance looks the same as it has for a while now:

July12013172_zps2d73e207.jpg

But, hold on.

There was something new here.

You might not notice it, but I sure did.  This water fountain:

July12013174_zpsbc9dacff.jpg

July12013175_zps29498862.jpg

Doesn't look new to you?

Well, here's how the water fountains used to look:

FW10308108.jpg

And that's not all.

Go back and look at page 23 of this report.  Post #256.  Do you remember this strange box and me commenting that I didn't know what it was doing there?:

MemorialDay2013659_zpsa3a35a7f.jpg

That's where the new water fountains are now.

And, check it out- Hidden Mickeys! :

July12013176_zpsa7980d19.jpg

Also, earlier in this report, I commented on the damaged state of the old owl enclosure:

MemorialDay2013658_zpsdfc5fbe8.jpg

Look-they fixed that too! :

July12013177_zps4e8c5cd0.jpg

There was no Backyard BBQ going on tonight, so it was deserted back here:

July12013178_zps138690e0.jpg

There used to be a really cool old water tower there in that spot:

July12013179_zps82924524.jpg

That water tower is never coming back.

This is the old River Country entry area.  It looks much like it did when River Country was still in operation:

July12013180_zps008cb7b3.jpg

The old green construction fences are all still in place cutting off all of the rest of River Country from public view:

July12013181_zps9b1c9184.jpg

The old Restroom buildings are still there where they always have been:

July12013182_zpsafb67181.jpg

Have you ever noticed that when people post photos from back here, they always show the same areas of the areas behind the fence?

That's because there are only so many gaps and holes in the fence that you can see through.

This is one of them:

July12013183_zpsbc43cffd.jpg

All we learned from that last photo is that the bushes have grown up on the other side of the fence, and that a bird family has moved in.

The blue tanks are still there doing whatever it is that they're doing:

July12013184_zps4cfa9186.jpg

The old slides are still slowly crumbling:

July12013186_zpsb5affd23.jpg

The deck adjacent to the big pool looks about the same:

July12013187_zps1b434f23.jpg

Bottom line:  There is no new construction going on.  No construction equipment.  No signs of anything about to happen.  Nothing.

So that was a false rumor.

Here we are heading back to the entry area:

July12013188_zps9a89bb87.jpg

The old ticket booth from inside the old waterpark area:

July12013189_zpsd3bd2763.jpg

The path back to the restaurant:

July12013190_zps5e8b31d8.jpg

Nothing new was going on around the barn:

July12013191_zps02bed118.jpg

My 15 minutes was just about up.  Time to head back to eat.

We will pick it back up on the porch in the next update.

TCD

Even though it looks horrible, I still like seeing the pics of RC.

I think because I can still visualize how awesome it was.

But since I can visualize how awesome it used to be, the current condition p***** me off a bit.

I'm so confused.

At least the rumor was proven false.

I'm so happy to hear the rumor is false!  Thank you, TCD!

River Country was awesome.  I'm so glad we got to experience it.  Back then it was really something special.  It was the first water park we ever took our kids to.  But by today's water park standards, few would be impressed.  

i am one that misses River Country.  I think the great appeal to me was that everything River Country had could have been back in Pennsylvania where I lived.   yeah it was in Disney World, but the rock slides weren't seven stories tall,  the tires and swings were just like those found on the creeks and rivers back home,  so it all seemed possible.   The new parks with their huge drops and waves and all of that just doesn't translate into my life like River Country did.   It was all believable and possible.