It's The End of the World as We Know It-The TCD Gang's Last Fort Trip (BC)

You're talking about Toy Story, and yes, that was fast.  I've seen them let groups of one or two up the other side of the stairs. But like you said, this does not happen regularly.  I'm not sure why they do it some times and not others.  Also, I should have mentioned that for some reason, they have been holding back people in the main room, and not letting the stairs fill.  Not sure why they made that change but they did.

TCD

We have noted them stopping people at the base of the stairs on TSM as well.  I think it is a safety issue, it makes sense to keep people from standing 3 wide on those steps for minutes at a time.  I appreciate it because it increase the face-to-ass distance while waiting in line.

I am also a conspiracy theorist RE:  inflated wait times, but I think it is just the punk CM's trying to decrease guests visiting their attraction, thereby decreasing work for themselves, especially as closing time looms.  I would think the sooner their attraction processes all guests waiting in line at closing the sooner they get out of there, right?

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, TCD and I met in person right in line for TSM!! It was a highlight of my trip!!! I am not kidding, it truly was!!! Four weeks prior to that trip, I had been a healthy "normal" 44 year old lady. I

This thread is a weird combination of a Hallmark channel movie and a tissue commercial. I'm going to go watch monster trucks or something. Then hug my kids and forbid them to grow up.

Do my eyes deceive me? Did I actually make page 1 on a TCD report??

We have noted them stopping people at the base of the stairs on TSM as well.  I think it is a safety issue, it makes sense to keep people from standing 3 wide on those steps for minutes at a time.  I appreciate it because it increase the face-to-ass distance while waiting in line.

I am also a conspiracy theorist RE:  inflated wait times, but I think it is just the punk CM's trying to decrease guests visiting their attraction, thereby decreasing work for themselves, especially as closing time looms.  I would think the sooner their attraction processes all guests waiting in line at closing the sooner they get out of there, right?

Has anyone ever told you that you have a way with words?

face-to-ass distance?

LOL!

Very true- I would like as much distance there as possible.

I never considered CM manipulation of the wait times. That could be a valid theory, especially at the end of the day.  But, management would want guests cleared out of there too, to get the CM's off the clock as soon as possible.

So, I hold to my belief that the conspiracy goes all the way to the top.

TCD

Lucky for you, it's another double update day!

In case you are wondering how long this day lasted, I'll just tell you it lasted a long time. 

Remember, we were at DHS at dawn for rope drop, and we are just now heading out for some lunch.

We left off on our boat ride to the Contemporary.

We have finally arrived.  The pool there was busy, but there were still tables open to sit at if you got a meal from the quick serve place there.  Which wouldn't be a bad idea for someone from the Fort looking for a quick serve lunch option:

MemorialDay2013501_zpse0f77f10.jpg

This crepe myrtle in the area behind the main tower is already starting to bloom.  I also got a shot of the scaffolding around the Top of The World Lounge:

MemorialDay2013502_zpsa4e08e57.jpg

I guess the construction is still under way up there:

MemorialDay2013503_zpse6fa799a.jpg

MemorialDay2013504_zps42506472.jpg

We headed right up to the monorail platform, where we found a monorail waiting for us to board.  I love it when that happens.

I had not seen the new construction going on at the MK bus stop from this vantage point, and was surprised to see how big the project is.  You can see the current bus shelters to the right in this photo.  As you can see, the cleared area is even larger than the currently developed area:

MemorialDay2013505_zps7a0ae804.jpg

I'm sure some of that will be for new drainage facilities and such, but still, the cleared area is pretty big.

This is what you call a TCD photo fail.  I was trying to get a photo of the metal mouse that sits on one of the buildings outside of the Contemporary, but I couldn't see it as we passed by.  I took the photo anyway.  Then I looked at the photo, and was about to report that the mouse is MIA.  But, then I saw its feet over there along the roof to the left.  So it's still there.  It's easier to see from the Express Monorail:

MemorialDay2013506_zpsb729b9a7.jpg

I call this photo "A Pretty View Ruined" :

MemorialDay2013507_zpse89107de.jpg

The ruined part is the big Four Seasons resort building you see going up there in the background.

Here's another photo fail.  I tried to take a photo of the new bus area construction, but I didn't point the camera high enough:

MemorialDay2013508_zpsdb22563c.jpg

I am going to need to go up to the Contemporary roof to get a good photo of this project.  I didn't make it there on this trip.  I'll try to remember on my next one.

Here's a photo of the MK ferry with the new DVC going up in the background along the shore of the Seven Seas Lagoon:

MemorialDay2013510_zps254a697a.jpg

Even though that is a 7 or 8 story building, it blends in nicely with its surroundings.  They did a good job with squeezing that large of a building into a tight spot.

At the Transportation and Ticket Center, we got to see the Iron Man 3 monorail.  The lamer Monsters U monorail was on the MK loop for the all night event, but we didn't see it today:

MemorialDay2013513_zpsb459ee6f.jpg

There was a good sized group of guests waiting to board the ferry.  Looks like MK is busy today too.  Well, it is Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, so I guess that is to be expected:

MemorialDay2013515_zpsf3c6fd6c.jpg

Next stop was the Polynesian Resort.  I paid particular attention to the Kona Sushi Bar, as it was recently announced that they had moved the sushi chefs out of there.  Sure enough, at 1:41 pm, it was still set up with just coffee stuff:

MemorialDay2013518_zps640a22e2.jpg

And, even more telling, the sushi menu is no longer posted under the Kona Island sign:

MemorialDay2013517_zpsa65b7c6f.jpg

The sushi chefs were at work in their new location in the Kona restaurant itself:

MemorialDay2013519_zpsc1e16fc1.jpg

We stopped here so I could interrogate a CM at the check in stand.  He confirmed that the sushi chefs have been moved in to the main restaurant dining room.  But, the seats at the bar and the window are still first come first serve for dinner hours.  If you seat yourself there during the dinner hours, a Kona server will present you a Kona menu and a sushi menu, and will take your food order. This is the way it worked before.  The only difference is that the sushi is not made in front of you.  I guess that isn't a big deal.

We proceeded on to Captain Cooks and placed our order.

While we waited, I noticed this guy in the corner busily pinning a bunch of pins on his new rolled up cowboy/safari hat:

MemorialDay2013520_zps5953b462.jpg

That is one guy who is going to get lucky tonight.

He ought to team up with the guy with the blackboard car.

Twins:

MemorialDay2013524_zps860d18ec.jpg

A rather tame Dole Whip:

MemorialDay2013526_zps07c5949d.jpg

That was Twin #1's.  She didn't want a big huge one.  And, I didn't get a photo of mine.  Sorry DIT, no ammunition for you.

Twin #2's favorite quick serve dish- the Captain Cook's noodles:

MemorialDay2013528_zps4941236a.jpg

We had a nice relaxing meal.  It was not busy in there at all.

Then it was time to move on.

As we headed back upstairs to the monorail, I asked the girls if I could make a quick detour.

There was recent discussion on this board about the art gallery on the first floor of the Polynesian, and as far as I can recall, I have never stepped foot in the place.

So I decided to change that this afternoon.

I had fun looking at the Star Wars art last night, so this couldn't be any worse than that.

Here we go:

MemorialDay2013529_zpsdb4cdb57.jpg

How about this?  Look how that wave looks like two dogs!  Now that is what I call art:

MemorialDay2013530_zps9aad40c5.jpg

Not your style?

How about this?:

MemorialDay2013531_zps66bb0e6f.jpg

You want to guess how much those pieces cost?

Well that is what you will have to do, because there were not prices posted anywhere.

You know what they say:  "If you have to ask . . . "

So, I didn't ask.

And, just FYI, the art in this place is not limited to pictures.  They have sculptures, and even a sculpture of dolphins that doubles as a coffee table:

MemorialDay2013532_zpsd19f56ef.jpg

No price on that either.

Some of the sculptures:

MemorialDay2013533_zpscb58ff65.jpg

MemorialDay2013534_zpsf99235de.jpg

Another painting:

MemorialDay2013535_zpsa867e1a4.jpg

And one last look at some more of the art on display outside:

MemorialDay2013536_zps78abbb45.jpg

So, now I've been in there.

But, I don't know anymore about the place than I did before.

I guess enough people buy stuff to justify keeping it open.

But, it's an odd little store.

From here, we headed back upstairs and boarded the monorail.

Here's a close look at the new GF DVC:

MemorialDay2013540_zps13375ad6.jpg

How many floors do you count there?

I got seven.

Which, by no coincidence, is the number of floors that were planned for the new River Country DVC buildings.  Can you imagine what a building this size would look like plopped down along Clementine's Beach?  And the River Country DVC didn't just plan for one building this size.  It planned for several.  I really hope that project is dead.

Speaking of abominations, look what photobombed my nice photo of the ferry, monorail, and Wilderness Lodge:

MemorialDay2013544_zps57b7459b.jpg

I still can't believe that someone approved an outside hotel being built that close to Disney property.

We exited the monorail at the MK to catch a boat back to the Fort.

This is how things looked there at 2:45 pm.  Note the bag check guys are standing around with nothing to do:

MemorialDay2013545_zps161ac656.jpg

I expected it to be busier.

Maybe everyone went to DHS today.

I think we had transportation waiting for us at each stop on the way on this little trip.  And, sure enough, our Fort boat awaited:

MemorialDay2013546_zpsec173962.jpg

That is a green flag, right?

Fort boat.

Not a red and green flag, like they fly when the boats are being shared with WL.

Good.

A non-stop trip to the Fort.

But it didn't turn out that way.

Next up, our cruise back to the Fort.

With an unannounced stop on the way.

TCD

I would think the sooner their attraction processes all guests waiting in line at closing the sooner they get out of there, right?

I never considered CM manipulation of the wait times. That could be a valid theory, especially at the end of the day.  But, management would want guests cleared out of there too, to get the CM's off the clock as soon as possible.

I think your theory is based on baloney.

Maybe Dave Devore can weigh in on this as I've never been a park CM. I do know that in order to deviate from your schedule, resort and at least bus transportation CMs must notify a manager of their desire to leave early and the manager has to go on the computer, find the CM's schedule, and make the change, So why would a manager encourage that? It's more work for him and it's not like he's paying the CMs out of his own pocket.

First off.....major FAIL on the lack of Dole Whip pics.  I know the real reason is that you were embarrassed by your creation, but still.  I expected better. 

I still can't believe that someone approved an outside hotel being built that close to Disney property.

Isn't the Four Seasons actually ON Disney property?  If it were off property, there wouldn't be any reason to blame Disney management, but the issue is that they sanctioned this thing. 

Maybe Dave Devore can weigh in on this as I've never been a park CM. I do know that in order to deviate from your schedule, resort and at least bus transportation CMs must notify a manager of their desire to leave early and the manager has to go on the computer, find the CM's schedule, and make the change, So why would a manager encourage that? It's more work for him and it's not like he's paying the CMs out of his own pocket.

Of course my theory is based on baloney.  I'm making the whole thing up, because I, as a paying guest, have no idea why the wait times are being consistently and blatantly exaggerated.  All I know is something fishy is going on.  The rest I'm just making up.

First off.....major FAIL on the lack of Dole Whip pics.  I know the real reason is that you were embarrassed by your creation, but still.  I expected better. 

Isn't the Four Seasons actually ON Disney property?  If it were off property, there wouldn't be any reason to blame Disney management, but the issue is that they sanctioned this thing. 

Like I said, you can't make fun of my lame Dole Whip skills very much if there isn't a photo.

That's a good question about whether or not the Four Seasons is on Disney property.

What I know is that the golf course it is being built on used to be Disney property.

And then, with much fanfare, an announcement was made that a parcel of that land was sold to a third party developer for a hefty sum.

But, I thought that was the same deal as the Golden Oaks land.  And, Disney certainly acts like they own that after all.

If I remember right, Mickey was at the groundbreaking.  So Disney has something to do with it.

So who knows?

TCD

Isn't the Four Seasons actually ON Disney property?

I'm assuming that as it's located inside the Golden Oak development, that like Golden Oak, the Four Seasons resort is part of Orange County, and is not in RCID, or as we know it, WDW.

The wording in the promotional fliers, which is technically correct, is genius, "located within the gates of WDW".

Disney sold that land to itself. They formed a subsidiary and it is the owner. That way residents have no say on what goes on at RCID.

I am also a conspiracy theorist RE: inflated wait times, but I think it is just the punk CM's trying to decrease guests visiting their attraction, thereby decreasing work for themselves, especially as closing time looms. I would think the sooner their attraction processes all guests waiting in line at closing the sooner they get out of there, right?

When I worked at Six flags. If your ride was clear and done for the night, you would have to go to the next one and start helping them get done. So the people working the small easier rides were always then sent over to the bigger , longer to close ones.

And the red cards, I sometimes think the employees scan them when they have to and then may wait for a more trust worthy looking person to hand it too. We have seen them scan it and then wait for the large group of not from this landers pass and then give it to someone who looks like they will turn it in.

I'm assuming that as it's located inside the Golden Oak development, that like Golden Oak, the Four Seasons resort is part of Orange County, and is not in RCID, or as we know it, WDW.

The wording in the promotional fliers, which is technically correct, is genius, "located within the gates of WDW".

Disney sold that land to itself. They formed a subsidiary and it is the owner. That way residents have no say on what goes on at RCID.

So does Disney, directly or indirectly through a subsidiary, own the Four Seasons Hotel?  I know that Four Seasons' business model is set up so that they do not actually own their hotels, but rather operate them and receive a % of gross receipts and profits.  So who owns the property?  I am curious because I want to know who will be pressing charges when I vandalize the place. 

So does Disney, directly or indirectly through a subsidiary, own the Four Seasons Hotel?  I know that Four Seasons' business model is set up so that they do not actually own their hotels, but rather operate them and receive a % of gross receipts and profits.  So who owns the property?  I am curious because I want to know who will be pressing charges when I vandalize the place. 

Unless it's changed since being announced, Disney does not have an ownership stake in the hotel.  

The Four Seasons company owns 30% of the resort, and the rest is split among, I believe, 3 out of state developers. 

Love the Monsters U cart!

Lines app?

Ain't nobody got time for that.

LOL.  Apparently the Touring Plans folks must be wise to the possilbly-intentionally-not-so-accurate posted wait times also.  Their app gives you both "posted" wait times and "expected" wait time - the latter being theirs.

More often than not there is a discrepancy, and more often than not, their expected time is less... and correct.

However that said.... the 24 hour MK day must have thrown their calculations for a loop because they were off quite a bit that day.

He confirmed that the sushi chefs have been moved in to the main restaurant dining room.  But, the seats at the bar and the window are still first come first serve for dinner hours.  If you seat yourself there during the dinner hours, a Kona server will present you a Kona menu and a sushi menu, and will take your food order. This is the way it worked before.  The only difference is that the sushi is not made in front of you.  I guess that isn't a big deal.

WHEW!! Thanks for that.  DH will be able to skip his planned hissy fit if it turned out that sushi at the bar was no longer available.

OK, time to move forward.

I will respond to the comments in two separate posts, as I have some information to share on the topic of the Four Seasons resort.

When I worked at Six flags. If your ride was clear and done for the night, you would have to go to the next one and start helping them get done. So the people working the small easier rides were always then sent over to the bigger , longer to close ones.

And the red cards, I sometimes think the employees scan them when they have to and then may wait for a more trust worthy looking person to hand it too. We have seen them scan it and then wait for the large group of not from this landers pass and then give it to someone who looks like they will turn it in.

As far as I have seen, Disney CM's do not move from one attraction to the next at the end of the night.  And, I have seen plenty of CM's goofing off when they are assigned to the less busy attractions.  I doubt that it's these CM's who are intentionally inflating the wait times, but they would have a motive to do it.  If they can keep us annoying paying customers off the rides, then they have more time to goof off.

I'm sure you're right about them being selective who they hand the red cards to.  I couldn't imagine them handing one off to a big group of kids not from this land.

Love the Monsters U cart!

LOL.  Apparently the Touring Plans folks must be wise to the possilbly-intentionally-not-so-accurate posted wait times also.  Their app gives you both "posted" wait times and "expected" wait time - the latter being theirs.

More often than not there is a discrepancy, and more often than not, their expected time is less... and correct.

However that said.... the 24 hour MK day must have thrown their calculations for a loop because they were off quite a bit that day.

WHEW!! Thanks for that.  DH will be able to skip his planned hissy fit if it turned out that sushi at the bar was no longer available.

It's a pretty sad thing that an unofficial site is able to provide more accurate wait times than the official site. Something is wrong there!

Yes, Brian can have his sushi, the same as always.  In fact, for a while it may be better, as guests many not realize they can claim seats there.  Or, it could be worse, if the hosts at the check in stand direct guests without reservations there.  I kind of thing it will be the latter.  Some genius manager must have gotten the idea that they could make more money off of those seats that way.

Tell him to take a deep breath, and pick up his chopsticks. 

Really.  Brian better watch it with those hissy fits.  Mo may decide to leave him for the guy with the blackboard car.

It's been so long, I forget how to post comments.

doh.

I think it goes something like woh ooh or something.

Maybe woo hoo.  I forget.

Wow!

CK2 is in the house!

It's great to see a post from you.

School must be out in Georgia!

Woo Hoo!

TCD

Isn't the Four Seasons actually ON Disney property? If it were off property, there wouldn't be any reason to blame Disney management, but the issue is that they sanctioned this thing.

Unless it's changed since being announced, Disney does not have an ownership stake in the hotel.

The Four Seasons company owns 30% of the resort, and the rest is split among, I believe, 3 out of state developers.

This Four Seasons thing is something that I have been following since the beginning, and like the Golden Oaks story, there are slight differences in the story every time it's told.

There are press releases that go all the way back to 2008, but let's pick up the story with this article from the Orlando Sentinel from September, 2011:

sentinel_zps8514deeb.jpg

So, according to this article, "Toronto-based Four Seasons bought the land for the hotel from Disney World in August 2008 for approximately $51 million, according to property records."

And there are three principal players in the deal, none of whom are Disney: "Four Seasons will hold a 30 percent stake in the project, with the remaining equity split between Silverstein Properties, a New York real-estate developer, and Dune Real Estate Partners, a New York private-equity fund."

But, a couple of months later, when ground is broken, the Disney Parks Blog posts this:

disneyparksblog_zps1a1442b6.jpg

If you want to look for yourself, here's a link: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/12/four-seasons-breaks-ground-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

If you want a good laugh, take a look at the comments on the blog- there are tons of questions being asked, and not a single answer given. I like the reader who asked why Mickey doesn't have a shovel. That is a good question.

So if Disney is not involved in this deal, what are Mickey and Meg doing there? The blog says: "Construction officially kicked-off this week with a groundbreaking ceremony that included Mickey Mouse, Meg Crofton, president of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts operations, and joint venture partners Silverstein Properties and Dune Real Estate."

Joint Venture?

Hmmm.

Are they being cute by wording it that way? Based on what was previously announced, Silverstein and Dune are joint venture partners with each other. That caption doesn't actually say that Disney is also a partner, but it could be read that way.

The Orange County Property Appraiser's website shows the Four Seasons parcel as a separate parcel of land from anything owned by Disney or Golden Oaks, LLC. The OCPA map shows the owner of the land as FS Orlando II, LLC:

fourseasonsprop_zpse8db03d2.jpg

And the Florida Department of State shows that FS Orlando II, LLC's business address is c/o Silverstein Properties in New York:

silverstein_zps57fbe312.jpg

The Florida Department of State website does not say who owns the shares in an LLC, they just want an address so they or others can legally serve the entity should the need arise.

Does Disney have skin in this deal?

Originally, it seemed to be that they were saying no.

But, why was the Mouse at the groundbreaking?

TCD

I'm late but enjoying the trip report all the same.

It is darn near impossible to work, mother, write a trip report and keep up with the "new" on this board.

I will leave commenting up to my husband since he doesn't have the mothering or trip reporting on his plate, but know that I am enjoying what I read especially the geek 'discussions' and the great Fort pictures.

Does Disney have skin in this deal?

Originally, it seemed to be that they were saying no.

But, why was the Mouse at the groundbreaking?

TCD

Seems to me that they do not have direct ownership and will not actually see any profit from the hotel.  Mickey and that chic at the ground breaking is just good public relations.  Even though they don't see any profits from the hotel they will still get revenue from the guests staying there, transportation contracts, and who knows what else...all without the liability of running another hotel.  It is in their best interest to have that sucker full, and if putting a mouse costume there for an hour does the trick, they are gonna' do it. 

I am not refuting the inaccuracy of some wait times. And your theory is a good one. But, loaded attraction or not, the doors close with park close. Not a second sooner. And A leader must make the call to close the doors, not some pimply faced CP working the front of the line. Then, even after the attraction is closed, those CMs still have an hours worth of work to do that cant be done with guests in the attraction. So closing early does nothing for them.

As far as deviating from your schedule, you must notify a coordinator or leader if you leave your assigned position for any reason. So say pimply faced CP needs to use the bathroom because he was too busy goofing off on his break to do it on his own time. He would have to contact a coordinator, get permission, then wait for someone to come relieve him at his position so he can go, then report back in when done. And as far as going home early, you can request an early release, but it must be approved by a leader. If you leave without an approval, you get dinged on your record card.

I agree with BuckeyeFortFan.  Mickey was at the groundbreaking because, for all intents and purposes, this hotel will be marketed as a "Disney" hotel, operated by Four Seasons.  Some wealthy Arab or California entrepreneur is not going to be excited about booking a stay at Larry Silversteins's hotel.  But they'll certainly be thinking that they are booking the Four Seasons at Disney World, and that means Mickey is involved, even if he isn't involved on paper.  And they also get to visit in the smug knowledge that they are "special", and not crowded into a typical Disney flea-bag. 

All caught up.

The Abominable Monstrosity is an eyesore and someone should be fired for approving the POS.

I too hope the RC Panther is doing okay with the lack of water.

All this talk about SW geekdom....I bet TCD is tenting outside DHS and first in line to meet Carrie Fisher in her slave outfit holding a wild turkey bottle when the buildup to the Episode 7 release gets in full swing.  Can't wait to read all about it in your 2014 and 2015 SWW TRs.  No pictures necessary though.

I am with DIT.  There are never enough dole whip pics.

I'm late but enjoying the trip report all the same.

It is darn near impossible to work, mother, write a trip report and keep up with the "new" on this board.

I will leave commenting up to my husband since he doesn't have the mothering or trip reporting on his plate, but know that I am enjoying what I read especially the geek 'discussions' and the great Fort pictures.

Thanks for commenting!

I am glad that you enjoyed the geek discussions.  But, hopefully, they are over.

Seems to me that they do not have direct ownership and will not actually see any profit from the hotel.  Mickey and that chic at the ground breaking is just good public relations.  Even though they don't see any profits from the hotel they will still get revenue from the guests staying there, transportation contracts, and who knows what else...all without the liability of running another hotel.  It is in their best interest to have that sucker full, and if putting a mouse costume there for an hour does the trick, they are gonna' do it. 

Well, according to the Orlando Sentinel article, Disney already pocketed $51 million for the 30 acres it sold to the Four Seasons group.  That's pure profit in cold hard cash up front.

I reckon Silverstein and Co. are happy to cough up a few bucks to rent a kid in a mouse suit, and that Disney is more than happy to oblige.  They probably have a lot more 30 acre parcels they would love to unload at that price.

I am not refuting the inaccuracy of some wait times. And your theory is a good one. But, loaded attraction or not, the doors close with park close. Not a second sooner. And A leader must make the call to close the doors, not some pimply faced CP working the front of the line. Then, even after the attraction is closed, those CMs still have an hours worth of work to do that cant be done with guests in the attraction. So closing early does nothing for them.

As far as deviating from your schedule, you must notify a coordinator or leader if you leave your assigned position for any reason. So say pimply faced CP needs to use the bathroom because he was too busy goofing off on his break to do it on his own time. He would have to contact a coordinator, get permission, then wait for someone to come relieve him at his position so he can go, then report back in when done. And as far as going home early, you can request an early release, but it must be approved by a leader. If you leave without an approval, you get dinged on your record card.

Good comments.

Bottom line- the wait times have been wildly inaccurate of late.  Why is anyone's guess.  It could be intentional.  More than likely, it's just incompetence.

I agree with BuckeyeFortFan.  Mickey was at the groundbreaking because, for all intents and purposes, this hotel will be marketed as a "Disney" hotel, operated by Four Seasons.  Some wealthy Arab or California entrepreneur is not going to be excited about booking a stay at Larry Silversteins's hotel.  But they'll certainly be thinking that they are booking the Four Seasons at Disney World, and that means Mickey is involved, even if he isn't involved on paper.  And they also get to visit in the smug knowledge that they are "special", and not crowded into a typical Disney flea-bag. 

And I agree with you.

I am sure Disney will rent out there whole menagerie of characters to Mr. Silverstein as long as the price is right.  And Mr. Silverstein will be happy to pay it.  I have no doubt that there will be character breakfasts and more at that hotel, and that guests will line up to fork over the cash.

All caught up.

The Abominable Monstrosity is an eyesore and someone should be fired for approving the POS.

I too hope the RC Panther is doing okay with the lack of water.

All this talk about SW geekdom....I bet TCD is tenting outside DHS and first in line to meet Carrie Fisher in her slave outfit holding a wild turkey bottle when the buildup to the Episode 7 release gets in full swing.  Can't wait to read all about it in your 2014 and 2015 SWW TRs.  No pictures necessary though.

I am with DIT.  There are never enough dole whip pics.

OK, if Carrie Fisher ever shows up at a SWW weekend in her slave outfit, I will paint the entire TCD pop-up with blackboard paint and adorn it with appropriate drawings and geek writing, and it will be parked in the DHS parking lot for as long as needed to assure a Fastpass for that meet and greet.  And there will be photos!

TCD

Thanks for commenting!

I am glad that you enjoyed the geek discussions.  But, hopefully, they are over.

OK, if Carrie Fisher ever shows up at a SWW weekend in her slave outfit, I will paint the entire TCD pop-up with blackboard paint and adorn it with appropriate drawings and geek writing, and it will be parked in the DHS parking lot for as long as needed to assure a Fastpass for that meet and greet.  And there will be photos!

TCD

What was that about the geek discussions being over? 

Wow, this TR is getting long!

Which is quite an accomplishment considering the almost constant error messages that plague this place lately.  Not to mention all the effort required to avoid double posting.

Is this site ever going to work right?

I thought I would get it wrapped up this week, but now I see that is not going to happen.

I guess I went a bit overboard with the photos on Sunday.

But, I took them, so you have to look at them.

We left off with us catching the Fort boat from the MK.  As I mentioned it had a green flag.  Not a red and green flag. That means it was supposed to go directly to the Fort.

We had one of those funny guy boat CM's.

He announced that this boat was going to Epcot.

Hardy Har Har!

Never heard that one before.

A couple of dummies in front of us believed him, and let us go ahead of them, saying they were waiting for a boat to the Fort.

I had to tell them that the funny boat guy was just joking.  They asked him, and he assured them that he had only been kidding.

Hardy Har Har!

I had a conversation with my good friend Lou the bus driver one day on this trip where we discussed how the IM's in the bus driver department have made it clear to the bus drivers that their job is to drive the bus, not do stand up comedy.  And, I am thankful for that.  There are a lot of people in this world who think they are a riot, but they are really just annoying.  And a lot of them end up being CM's.  Since the bus drivers have to be serious now, the deluded funny guys all seem to end up on the boats.

Anyway, we get on our boat, and are about to leave, when a couple of stragglers come running up.

The funny boat guy speaks to them briefly and  waves them in and on to the boat.

That was nice of him.

And away we go.

It is hard to believe, but I was on a Fort boat, and had taken a photo of the moon setting, just the morning before from this very spot:

MemorialDay2013547_zps8bafc91e.jpg

You can see the new DVC addition over there to the left of the existing resort.  As I mentioned, they did a good job designing the addition so that it looks like it fits right in with what was already there.

Here's a look across to the Polynesian Resort.  Rumor has it that they are going to get a DVC addition next.  I think they will design that addition to blend in there too:

MemorialDay2013548_zpsc671b2e1.jpg

We motored right along, and over the water bridge.  I think the water bridge is cool, so I took a photo:

MemorialDay2013549_zps0fcc6b1b.jpg

Instead of heading to the left when we got to Shipwreck Island, we went to the right.  The driver announced that we would be making a stop at the Lodge to drop off some passengers:

MemorialDay2013550_zpsaa4a0bd8.jpg

It turns out that the guests funny boat guy waved on to the boat were Wilderness Lodge guests, not Fort guests.  Hardy Har Har!  But the joke is on us lowly Fort scummy campers, we have to make a detour to drop off these folks because God forbid we go to the Fort first and inconvenience the wealthy WL guests.

Oh well, at least the geyser put on a show for us:

MemorialDay2013551_zpsfecfe537.jpg

MemorialDay2013552_zps3de232ca.jpg

The detour was not a big deal, but if that stupid funny boat guy would just do his darn job instead of trying to be funny, we would have been at the Fort now, and the people waiting there would be on the boat and on their way to the MK instead of baking in the sun.  But, who cares about them?  They're just filthy campers.

One good thing about the detour, though, is it took us a bit closer to the shore of Bay Lake between the Lodge and the campground.  Look at how much beautiful wilderness there is here:

MemorialDay2013553_zps08c4fad5.jpg

Right over there is the Castmember dock and the rotting remains of River Country to the left of it.  This is where that new DVC resort was going to go.  Imagine a bunch of buildings the size of that Grand Floridian addition sitting right here along the shore:

MemorialDay2013554_zps0bc778bf.jpg

Here are the rotting remains of River Country:

MemorialDay2013555_zps7c748e26.jpg

I love how this group of cypress trees grows out into the lake here.  These trees were there when Walt first laid eyes on this beautiful piece of land, and here they stand 50 years later.  It is inconceivable to me that some knucklehead Imagineers planned to build a building out in the lake at this very spot.  But that is exactly what they planned to do:

MemorialDay2013556_zps208b7942.jpg

If that ever happens, instead of trees, you would see a big building with a bunch of balconies decorated with huge drying bathing suits and beach towels.   Inconceivable.  Unbelievable. But true. That is exactly what was planned.

I know I already posted some photos of the shoe tree, but we went by it again.  What do you want me to do?  So, here is another shoe tree photo showing all the shoes- you can see some up high in this shot that you couldn't see in the others:

MemorialDay2013557_zpsf92a5ade.jpg

You know I didn't take only one shoe tree photo:

MemorialDay2013558_zpsae8f91e2.jpg

Alright, stop complaining, this is the last one:

MemorialDay2013559_zpsb5534dcc.jpg

To make up for the unnecessary shoe tree photos, I'll post a photo of something that I have never seen before.

And if I haven't seen it, that more than likely means that you haven't seen it either.

Check this out- there were people actually playing volleyball on the beach.  With a net and a ball.  I've never seen that before:

MemorialDay2013560_zpsaac8f837.jpg

The marina:

MemorialDay2013561_zps232d7966.jpg

Since I knew funny boat guy would get a mention in this report, I figured I should post a photo of him in case any of you have the pleasure of making his acquaintance in the future.  Here he is:

MemorialDay2013562_zps4814752c.jpg

Your shorts are too tight, bro.

Hardy Har Har!

Here's another thing you don't often see.  A long line of people waiting to shell over their hard earned dough to rent one of the water contraptions they rent at the marina:

MemorialDay2013563_zpsbfdbd703.jpg

I don't know about you, but I can think of a lot more things I would rather waste my money on at WDW.

We got back to the site, and decided to go looping.

These rotten kids on skateboards were riding around like wildmen in the intersection of the 100 and 200 loops, right near the Comfort Station:

MemorialDay2013564_zpsb3d99fe2.jpg

Do you know that the official Fort Wilderness rules say that skateboards are prohibited at Fort Wilderness?

Not just limited to certain areas, but absolutely, 100% prohibited.  You can't use a skateboard at Fort Wilderness.  Anywhere.  At any time.  Period.

You may think that's a dumb rule.

But I don't.  Skateboards are dangerous.  Even the best skateboarders are often forced to make sudden and erratic moves.  That is not a good thing to be doing on roads and walkways that are being shared by buses, trucks, a variety of cars and golf carts, along with folks on foot, bikes and scooters.  So, the Fort say no skateboards.  At all.

But you know what I see every time I loop at the Fort?  And I mean every single time?  Kids on skateboards.

Why have a rule and do nothing to enforce it?

What kind of way is that to run a business?

Who is in charge at the Fort?

Why is he such a big idiot?

They send old geezers in orange vests around on golf carts every night to harass guests about how they park their cars on their sites, but they let people violate a written rule that is handed to every guest at check in and posted on every bulletin board in the campground?

That makes no sense at all.

But, that is only one of many things that make no sense at the Fort.

You know what?

We are really deep into this trip report, and there has been no TCD Real Man of Genius Award.

And no photo of site 617.

Is the old guy finally slipping?

No.

The old guy slipped a long time ago.

But that is not the explanation for the lack of photos.

Remember, on morning one, we were just getting to bed at 6:30 am, and on morning two (this morning in this TR) we had scrambled to make the DHS rope drop.

So that means there had been no morning patrols. 

Which I hated.

But what could I do?

Not to worry, though, there was a TCDRMOG.

And it just so happens that he was camped right next to Devores on the 400 loop.

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl9LwypUYxY&feature=youtu.be

Do you see that?

A rotating Mickey light!

Well done!

And as long as I am checking things off the checklist, here's a photo of 617:

MemorialDay2013566_zpscd9df309.jpg

Look at how nice those bushes have filled in!

Now you can hardly even see the parade of guests walking by your site all day.

Nice job there.

After we looped, the girls wanted to chill at the site.

I don't chill.

So, while they chilled, I set out on an expedition.

I needed to go and check on something.

So, I headed that way.

Take a look at this- this photo was taken right outside the 100 loop, just past the 400 loop entrance, looking up the road toward the 300/500 bus stop, and that is the 300 loop playground you see on the left:

MemorialDay2013567_zpsc32280bc.jpg

Let's move up the road just a smidge.  Take a look just above the tree line near the center of this photo:

MemorialDay2013568_zps14e1eae0.jpg

Do you see that?

It's the crane from the Four Seasons project!

Those stupid idiots!

Nice way to mess up the illusion that we are camping in the wilderness.

Why did they allow this?

I can give you 51 million reasons.

Anyway, I continued on.

Look at all the guests enjoying the Meadow Recreation Area:

MemorialDay2013569_zpsf5a81f53.jpg

That is what it's all about!

Here we are at our destination- the gate to the dog walk area at the back of the 1800 loop:

MemorialDay2013570_zpsb70a99f8.jpg

Here's a look down the canal from there- looking toward the 1600 and 1500 loops.  You can see guests enjoying canoes and kayaks there in the canal:

MemorialDay2013571_zps7e5e54d7.jpg

And here is a look in the other direction from that very same spot:

MemorialDay2013572_zpsa2fd748c.jpg

Do you see something there behind that little oak tree in the center?

What is that?

Let's take just a couple more steps in that direction and take another look:

MemorialDay2013573_zpscd4b4c5f.jpg

Yeah, there is something there all right.

A couple more steps, and another look:

MemorialDay2013574_zps0da6c67f.jpg

For that last photo, I was standing behind a site on 1800.  So all of this can be seen from the campground.

Just a few steps past the last one, and we can see the whole thing:

MemorialDay2013575_zpse9365bb9.jpg

Wow, that is big.

And it's close to the Fort.

This is what I came to see, so here we go.

That gate you see is the edge of the Fort's property.  The sign you see on the post there says no pets beyond this point.  Pets.  Doesn't say anything about people.  We are going to go and take a look:

MemorialDay2013576_zpsd7f99e31.jpg

We will need to stop here, as that is 30 photos.

We will pick it up from this exact spot in the next update.

Which will include more Four Seasons photos as well as a big snake encounter, and an impromptu meeting with the general manager of the golf course.

TCD