It's The End of the World as We Know It-The TCD Gang's Last Fort Trip (BC)

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, TCD and I met in person right in line for TSM!! It was a highlight of my trip!!! I am not kidding, it truly was!!! Four weeks prior to that trip, I had been a healthy "normal" 44 year old lady. I

This thread is a weird combination of a Hallmark channel movie and a tissue commercial. I'm going to go watch monster trucks or something. Then hug my kids and forbid them to grow up.

Do my eyes deceive me? Did I actually make page 1 on a TCD report??

I do not want to speak for her.  But, I did discuss her absence from here with her.  To make a long story short, she didn't like the direction certain things had taken, and she decided that participating here is no longer something she wanted to spend time doing. 

In case you haven't noticed, Lil' Lisa and Genia /SCTigerCock went missing around the same time.

The loss of all of those great posters is a huge loss for this site.

Yes, she's alive and well, but unfortunately, has moved on from here.

TCD

I had noticed that Lil Lisa and Genia had not been posting also. I miss seeing Stef and them around here and am

very sorry that they have moved on.

Mainly by height.

Sorry, it's a Caddy shack reference

Sorry, I should have known that.

Great updates, as always!

Sorry to hear that Stef has moved on. I always enjoyed her trip reports, especially the ones about mud bogging.

Thanks.  And I agree with you about Stef's reports.

River Country! Hurry up, TDD!

Don't get too excited.  All of the photos are from inside the fence.

I had noticed that Lil Lisa and Genia had not been posting also. I miss seeing Stef and them around here and am

very sorry that they have moved on.

This place is not the same without them. 

It's a shame they are gone.

TCD

Who's up for another update?

This one is all Fort photos.  Taken Monday morning.  30 more photos of the Fort.

If you're still reading this report, you presumably have some interest in the Fort, so 30 more Fort photos shouldn't be a problem.

We left off on the pedestrian trail that runs between the back of the 300 loop and the Settlement. 

We were in the area of where the new dining pavilion was supposed to be going.

Only now the word is that this is not going to happen.

The jungle rejoiced:

MemorialDay2013651_zps60000435.jpg

You see all this stuff growing here?

It's hard to remember, but this is how the entire Fort used to look- especially on all of the loops.  There were walls of vegetation like you see here surrounding every site:

MemorialDay2013652_zpsbe319eba.jpg

It's hard to remember that- but that is how it looked.  There's a certain beauty to it, but what we see here is really non-native invasive stuff.  It is a good thing that they got rid of this stuff, but the Fort sure feels a lot less Wilderness-y without it.

Right after this little photo break, the trail ends, and I'm right behind the Settlement Trading Post.  I always have to peek in the fenced in area behind it.  You never know what they might be hiding back there.

Today, no peeking was required.  The gates were wide open.  Of course, there was nothing to see:

MemorialDay2013653_zpsc1770c52.jpg

MemorialDay2013654_zps0e519a73.jpg

Time to head over to River Country for a look around.

A CM is cleaning the Settlement playground.  How many playgrounds do you know of that get a daily cleaning? :

MemorialDay2013655_zpsb70a70c6.jpg

Even though Trail's End doesn't open until 7:30, Josie was already there at 7:07 am cleaning and straightening up the porch.  She is the only CM who does this, so on the days she has off, it doesn't get done:

MemorialDay2013656_zps6dda3628.jpg

Ordinarily, I would stop for a visit with Josie, but she was busy, and so was I.  So, I zipped right past and headed to River Country, and here we are:

MemorialDay2013657_zpsc5049229.jpg

Of course, nothing here tells guests that this used to be a waterpark.  I'm sure the majority of guests who show up for the Backyard BBQ have no idea.

But I remember the burrowing owl who used to live in that cage, and I am sad to see that it has been vandalized:

MemorialDay2013658_zpsdfc5fbe8.jpg

I am not sure why this new wooden box is here, but it is:

MemorialDay2013659_zpsa3a35a7f.jpg

Probably nobody but me would notice this, but for some reason somebody installed two electric outlets on the outside of the old River Country ticket window.  Disrespect! :

MemorialDay2013660_zpsd09a34b8.jpg

This is not the best photo of a rabbit in mid jump that you will ever see, but it is the only one I've ever taken, so I'm sharing it:

MemorialDay2013661_zps434dc1f2.jpg

If there is a way you could ignore the imposing green chain link fence, you might be able to imagine that you are still in River Country when you see the old rocks and wooden fences:

MemorialDay2013662_zps1eef4652.jpg

If you have forgotten how early it is, note how the lights are still lit from the night before:

MemorialDay2013663_zps91bf0a5a.jpg

Over there is the building that used to house the locker rooms and a quick serve restaurant for River Country.  The restrooms are still in use for the Backyard BBQ guests:

MemorialDay2013664_zpsfccbb9fa.jpg

The big tree you see in the middle of this photo is a really nice crepe myrtle- probably my favorite one in the entire Fort:

MemorialDay2013665_zps39ebf871.jpg

It's sad to look at how they've been able to keep this small part of River Country in decent shape, and then peek through the green fence at this:

MemorialDay2013666_zpscb4977c0.jpg

I don't know what is causing the fake rocks beneath the slides to break into pieces like you can see here, but they look horrible:

MemorialDay2013667_zps02e27122.jpg

Hey, another bunny:

MemorialDay2013669_zps9228c358.jpg

This rock over here looks like it's in fine shape.  And do you know why it has a metal vent?:

MemorialDay2013670_zpsf2430c78.jpg

That's not a vent.  It's a light.  They used to light up the walkways with lights like this.

The lights along the path leading out of River Country are all still lit:

MemorialDay2013671_zps0e085e80.jpg

I wonder how many of the guests who visit the Backyard BBQ and sit on these benches as they wait to go in and chow down realize that the marks there on the concrete were left when they tore down the landmark water tower that used to stand at the River Country entrance:

MemorialDay2013672_zps4259f9ce.jpg

MemorialDay2013673_zps4db1bb15.jpg

I like how this next photo came out.  I call it The Light at the End of the Tunnel (of trees) :

MemorialDay2013675_zps0a254aeb.jpg

We had been going through a dry spell in central Florida back around Memorial Day, so the sprinklers were in action this morning:

MemorialDay2013677_zpsa3379c88.jpg

Since I was right here, I decided to check on Clementine's Beach:

MemorialDay2013679_zpsd4dcdaaa.jpg

I'd still like to know when it picked up that name and why.  It isn't shown as being called Clementine's Beach on the early maps of the Fort.

A look at the Pioneer Hall complex from near the beach:

MemorialDay2013680_zpsd4aaf5d9.jpg

There's another MK boat loading up:

MemorialDay2013681_zps7d42e7a4.jpg

Same spot, looking the other way:

MemorialDay2013682_zpsd602e5c3.jpg

It's just me and the guy raking the beach down here.  Everyone else is still in bed:

MemorialDay2013683_zps293b944c.jpg

Time to move on.  People will be up soon.  I am now going to stop by my site, get some more coffee, and move on to a different area of the Fort.

Sunrise over the Settlement Trading Post at 7:17 am:

MemorialDay2013684_zps545bc7fd.jpg

TCD

This place is not the same without them. 

It's a shame they are gone.

TCD

Agreed. I just assumed she was traveling around on the Jimmie Johnson groupie tour.

I totally missed whatever drama drove her away. Bummer that Stef is gone.

:lmao1:

:thumbsup3:

Oh and can I just say that I would like Jimmy-Buffett-golf-cart-guy's job.  I have 3 border collies that would be thrilled to screw around patrol on a golf course all day with a golf cart.

Hearding dogs!!!

They can heard the golfers right into the gators in the Canal!

Dan

Great mention of the light vents. I had forgotten about those. Imagine, someone thought up the idea to put lights in vents in rocks.

BTW, I've said this before many times, but thank you, Andrew, for writing these reports. Mrs. Troll and I enjoy them tremendously.

My parents house has a "night light" in the hall outside the bathroom at ankle level, it is a "light in a vent" and does a wonderful job of keeping your feet safe from stray lego's or matchbox cars at 2 am.

And my wife and I would like to second what The Troll said regarding your reports Andrew! We Love reading along with your trips and really hope to get the chance to say hi in person some day! 

Agreed. I just assumed she was traveling around on the Jimmie Johnson groupie tour.

I totally missed whatever drama drove her away. Bummer that Stef is gone.

To Stef's credit, there was no drama.

She and some others decided this was no longer the place for them, and they quietly left.

I wish all of them would come back.

Ok, I'm not sure which question is more baffling?

Why would they install the electric outlets at this point in time?

Or

Who else but you would notice a new outlet?

Both are puzzling.

I think the outlets are probably used by CM's checking guests in for the Backyard BBQ.

And, I don't think anyone else would notice the new outlet.  Or care.

Great mention of the light vents. I had forgotten about those. Imagine, someone thought up the idea to put lights in vents in rocks.

BTW, I've said this before many times, but thank you, Andrew, for writing these reports. Mrs. Troll and I enjoy them tremendously.

Disney is still big time into the fake rock making business.  All you have to do is look at the New Fantasyland to see that.  Next time I'm there, I'm going to look for lights like this.  I am guessing there won't be any.  It's not the most practical way to light a walkway.

Thanks for the kind words, but whoever you are you had better give the Troll his computer back.

I enjoy the Fort photos.

Good.  Because I have a bunch more to post before this TR will be done.

This picture freaked me out at first.  It looks like Devine. 

Dave, I was hoping that you wouldn't mention that.

It doesn't just look like Devine.

I wasn't going to post this next photo.

But as a public service, I must.

Right after I took that photo you mentioned, I heard a rustling in the brush, and something stuck its head out of the vines.

Take a look toward the bottom of this photo:

devine_zps6ec76e9a.jpg

I guess we won't be seeing you at the Fort ever again, huh?

Or at least not without a jug of RoundUp with you at all times.

Great updates!

I always love your early morning at the Fort posts.

Looking forward to re-creating the experience in December.

I hope that you do just that.

And that you share the photos here.

I also really love the early morning pictures. Especially of the Fort, although the early morning is my favorite time at any campground!

Yes.

There is something special about watching a campground come to life in the morning.

Hearding dogs!!!

They can heard the golfers right into the gators in the Canal!

Dan

Again, I would pay money to watch it.

My parents house has a "night light" in the hall outside the bathroom at ankle level, it is a "light in a vent" and does a wonderful job of keeping your feet safe from stray lego's or matchbox cars at 2 am.

And my wife and I would like to second what The Troll said regarding your reports Andrew! We Love reading along with your trips and really hope to get the chance to say hi in person some day! 

Thanks!

If you post on here when you will be at the Fort, you never know who might show up to say hello.

TCD

Dave, I was hoping that you wouldn't mention that.

It doesn't just look like Devine.

I wasn't going to post this next photo.

But as a public service, I must.

Right after I took that photo you mentioned, I heard a rustling in the brush, and something stuck its head out of the vines.

Take a look toward the bottom of this photo:

devine_zps6ec76e9a.jpg

I guess we won't be seeing you at the Fort ever again, huh?

Or at least not without a jug of RoundUp with you at all times.

I hope you are willing to pay for my therapy. 

Update time.

You fans of early morning Fort photos will like this update.

Those of you hoping to make fun of Star Wars geeks will not.

But if you are in the second group, stick around.  I will have a surprise for you when we get to the end of this report.

For now, though, we are still at the Fort early on Monday morning.

I stopped by my conveniently located site for a coffee refill, and then headed out to our next stop:

MemorialDay2013685_zps4e17f0cd.jpg

I like how the guys who originally laid out the Fort did things.  Take, for instance, how this tree was allowed to remain and the road was built around it.  That would never happen today:

MemorialDay2013686_zpsaf9d425d.jpg

Here's a look to the right from where I snapped that last photo.  There is a bus over there at the Settlement bus stop, but no guests to ride it:

MemorialDay2013687_zps7fb86d27.jpg

In case you are wondering, we are heading to the Meadow Trading Post to take a look around there.  I like it around there early in the morning.

On our way, we pass the 800 loop.  These blue flowering plants are all over the Fort, and I like them:

MemorialDay2013688_zps85d2bf8a.jpg

Since I was right across from site 617, and the sun was rising, I thought a couple of 617 at dawn photos would be appropriate:

MemorialDay2013689_zpsc9063a22.jpg

MemorialDay2013690_zps5d73f0be.jpg

That is one awesome campsite!

Here we are at the Meadow Trading Post- it isn't quite 7:30 yet, and they don't open until 8, so it should be nice and quiet around here for the next half hour:

MemorialDay2013691_zps93815976.jpg

Here's another example of how different the men who planned the Fort are from those who are in charge today.  Look at how much open space was left in front of the Meadow Trading Post:

MemorialDay2013692_zpsf725a6a7.jpg

If this was being planned today, there would be campsites in that empty space.

Or a DVC resort at least.

The empty porch awaits:

MemorialDay2013693_zpse6301d95.jpg

Ah, here is the bulletin board of useless information.  Let's see what gems are here for us to enjoy today:

MemorialDay2013694_zps3a242c78.jpg

So, this is May 27, 2013 when we are here taking a look around.   This letter from March, 2013 reminding us that Daylight Savings Time begins on March 10 this year is sure helpful:

MemorialDay2013695_zpsf1807ddc.jpg

I know.

That was a cheap shot.

It's only been 2 1/2 months. 

That isn't that bad.

Well, OK, how about this letter, then, which reminds me that Daylight Savings Time will end on November 4, 2012? :

MemorialDay2013697_zps17c7d757.jpg

See?

Useless!

So, I had a mug full of coffee, and I settled down into one of the rocking chairs, and looked forward to just enjoying the peace and quiet before everyone else woke up and started making noise and doing annoying things.

No sooner had a sat that up walked a guy who walked right up to the doors of the Trading Post, and gave them a tug.  Never mind that there was a closed sign hanging there, or that the shades were drawn, or that it was 7:27 am.  He thought those doors would open.  And, for good measure, he tried a second time.  There's a sign right there that says the Trading Post is open from 8 am to 10 pm.  That sign has been there for years.  The hours are the same every day of the year and have been for years.  The sign is permanent.  The Meadow Trading Post hours never change.  But this guy missed all of that.

So, he asked me, is the Trading Post closed?

I guess he was slow?

I told him yes, it opens at 8.

He asked me what time it was.

Really, guy?

Then he asked me where I got my coffee.

I told him at my campsite.

He asked why I was sitting there.

I told him because I like to sit on this porch.

No big deal.

But if I wanted to talk to dummies, I would go sit on the Trail's End porch or somewhere where I might expect them this time of morning.

Anyway, the guy finally left:

MemorialDay2013698_zps7f324924.jpg

No sooner had he left, that another guy walks up.

This guy looked rough.

Like he had been up all night.

He needed coffee.

I had about the same exact conversation with him.

Then he finally left.

When I saw yet another guy coming, I got up and decided to move it to the back.

It was early, remember.

But there were two guys with a bunch of fishing gear already busy feeding Bob's fish.  Look at all the gear they have over there on the picnic table:

MemorialDay2013699_zps9541241a.jpg

And some inconsiderate dope was on Bob's dock!

I call this photo An Inconsiderate Dope on Bob's Dock at Sunrise:

MemorialDay2013700_zps6a28abf5.jpg

Here's a better look at him before I went over there and told him he would have to move:

MemorialDay2013701_zps2ff68477.jpg

There were no rocking chairs on the back porch.

And, my choices were these wet benches or the wet picnic table:

MemorialDay2013702_zpsdf8988aa.jpg

MemorialDay2013703_zpse8ad131b.jpg

MemorialDay2013704_zpse1966634.jpg

MemorialDay2013705_zps9b61093b.jpg

Why is everything on the covered back porch wet?

Sprinklers.

You would think maybe somebody could adjust these.

There were drought conditions going on during this visit.

You can see how low the water level is in the lake:

MemorialDay2013706_zps6434ca2a.jpg

I call this photo a beautiful view of the Meadow Fishin' Hole Marred by the Inconsiderate Dope on Bob's Dock:

MemorialDay2013707_zps62dde794.jpg

The other guy was over there by the Bobber Eating Tree- maybe he had just fed it? :

MemorialDay2013708_zps4043f388.jpg

Since everything was wet, and I wasn't going to sit back here anyway, I told the two fishermen that I would let them off with just a warning.  Of course, if Bob was at the Fort, I would have made them leave.  They were happy to continue with the fish feeding:

MemorialDay2013709_zps07d46b58.jpg

I went back to the front porch and reclaimed my rocker.  It was now 7:30, and hopefully the early birds had all come and gone.  I enjoyed the view and quiet:

MemorialDay2013710_zpsa81ade90.jpg

MemorialDay2013711_zps972eff77.jpg

Just how I like it- empty:

MemorialDay2013712_zps57bdffac.jpg

My moment of solitude did not last for long.

A family of dummies came up with their whining kids, and were quite disappointed to learn that the Trading Post hours had not magically changed overnight.  They left in a noisy huff:

MemorialDay2013713_zps79a41ab5.jpg

I could see where this was going.

So, I decided to move on.

But, before I forget, I have a great idea for a little business that someone could open at the Fort.

Set up a coffee bar outside the Meadow Trading Post and operate it from 7 am to 8 am each morning.

Since you would be the only game in town, you could charge Disney prices.  Probably pay for your campsite every day with just an hour's work.

Think about it.

Before leaving the Meadow Trading Post, I had to go and look at my favorite sycamore tree:

MemorialDay2013714_zps5c50bbee.jpg

And the bridge:

MemorialDay2013715_zps3b5f866e.jpg

Looking at this bridge reminded me that I needed to go and take some photos from another bridge, which is much more picturesque.  So, we will be heading there next.

TCD

Another great morning update.

Except for the mopes that can't read the sign and interrupted your rocker time.

We did not fish on our last trip.  That was something that fell through the cracks.

In December we will need to remedy that.

I will request dock access from the gatekeeper prior to leaving.

Okay.  Now I am a bit creeped out by De-Vine too.

I will now officially add her to my SMB list along with the Ariel ride, Starbucks instead of MSB, etc.