It's The End of the World as We Know It-The TCD Gang's Last Fort Trip (BC)

I always brew my own coffee, but 8am is WAY too late for a place that calls itself a "resort" to start selling caffeinated beverages.

Agreed. Trail's End opens at 7:30, but that is still kind of late.

Another great morning update.

Except for the mopes that can't read the sign and interrupted your rocker time.

We did not fish on our last trip.  That was something that fell through the cracks.

In December we will need to remedy that.

I will request dock access from the gatekeeper prior to leaving.

Okay.  Now I am a bit creeped out by De-Vine too.

I will now officially add her to my SMB list along with the Ariel ride, Starbucks instead of MSB, etc.

You must take your kids fishing.

I will smooth things over with Bob to get you permission to use his dock.

Although, I honestly have never seen anyone, including Bob, actually catch a fish from that dock.

Thank you.

I do not understand the Devine hate.

From DIT, yes.

He hates everything.

But for anyone else, there's nothing wrong with Devine.

TCD

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, TCD and I met in person right in line for TSM!! It was a highlight of my trip!!! I am not kidding, it truly was!!! Four weeks prior to that trip, I had been a healthy "normal" 44 year old lady. I

This thread is a weird combination of a Hallmark channel movie and a tissue commercial. I'm going to go watch monster trucks or something. Then hug my kids and forbid them to grow up.

Do my eyes deceive me? Did I actually make page 1 on a TCD report??

Another update.

This is the bridge I was looking for:

MemorialDay2013716_zpsf5b1dd51.jpg

I love this bridge.  It leads from the 600 loop over to the campfire area.  It is perfect.

I don't know what happened with this photo.  I wanted to take a photo of the canal to show that despite the low levels and lack of rain, the canals are relatively slime free.  For some reason, I got a really odd reflection there on the left.  It's the only photo I have looking this way from the bridge, so you'll just have to deal with it:

MemorialDay2013717_zps5de6227e.jpg

Here's a shot from that same spot on the bridge, but looking the other way.  Beautiful.  I appreciate that the bushes behind the new sites on the expanded part of the 600 loop have now grown enough that you can't see the backs of the RV's on those sites:

MemorialDay20137182_zps5c59dcef.jpg

One small problem I note is that there are some vines creeping back in over in that area on the right.  Those vines could have some unwanted side effects. Like attracting nuisance animals.  And other nuisance living forms.  If you don't catch my drift, take another look at that photo.  Over to the right.

Here's a look in the same direction, but from the far end of the bridge:

MemorialDay2013719_zps2655a49a.jpg

Same area, but turned more toward the Bike Barn:

MemorialDay2013720_zps0a757696.jpg

Here we are at the Theater Under the Stars.  It's 7:45 am, and a CM is busy cleaning up last night's mess:

MemorialDay2013721_zps3143e3ed.jpg

There was a report made by a fellow Fiend that the horribly faded canvas curtain that they roll up and down on the stage for the sing a long was finally replaced.  It looks like there is something rolled up above the metal door over there, but I can't be sure.  In any event, it wasn't rolled down like it should have been:

MemorialDay2013723_zps704c0ebf.jpg

It looks like someone left a cooler last night.  I also am quite certain that there are less wooden benches here than there used to be.  The missing benches have been missing for a while, so I guess they're gone for good:

MemorialDay2013724_zps8be3403c.jpg

I think this little sign is new.  I don't remember it:

MemorialDay2013725_zps6a718039.jpg

Now we are walking down the sidewalk a bit.  You can see the backs of the RV's on 600 in this shot:

MemorialDay2013726_zps84973075.jpg

It was time for me to head back and get packing.

This trailer was parked in the site right next to the bridge.  Note the door on the curb side of the unit. I don't recall ever seeing a trailer with a door on that side.  What's the deal? :

MemorialDay2013727_zps1515e9eb.jpg

My kind of traffic jam:

MemorialDay2013728_zps41c8f1e6.jpg

I was going to loop around the 700 loop on the way back, but this changed that:

MemorialDay2013729_zps440513a2.jpg

Whoops.  Somebody had a long walk home last night:

MemorialDay2013730_zps55f2b352.jpg

Back at 123, I got to watch the horse and buggy heading back:

MemorialDay2013731_zpsc1eea5c9.jpg

Since the girls were still asleep, I decided to run the cable converter box back to the Meadow Trading Post right at 8. This time, I made sure to get a good photo of the channel line up, as there has been confusion about this.

This is the current Fort channel line up.  If you don't have a digital TV, you have to use one of their boxes to get these channels:

MemorialDay2013732_zps5534bfe3.jpg

MemorialDay2013734_zps9b7caf2f.jpg

I ran the box back.  The lady handed me back the original form that I had filled out on Friday.  I guess that was that.  There was never any charge on my folio for this.

I had noticed some things on the 100/200 loop comfort station bulletin board earlier, so I snapped a few photos when I made an ice run.

We have more apostrophe and unnecessary "s" problems.

First, we know whoever makes these publications has at least heard of apostrophes, because he or she used one here for Crockett's:

MemorialDay2013735_zps0607ba00.jpg

But Trail's End lost its apostrophe:

MemorialDay2013736_zps8d968a02.jpg

The Meadow Snack Bar gained an "s," which had been taken away quite a while ago (but not the apostrophe that it sometimes gets too) :

MemorialDay2013737_zps20926307.jpg

Remember the skateboarders?

Here's the rules on what you're allowed to ride around the Fort:

MemorialDay2013739_zps8eb1e8b4.jpg

That last line lists some things that are prohibited.

The first item mentioned on that line is skateboards:

MemorialDay2013741_zpsef7be8c5.jpg

I have mentioned before that there is an ice machine at the Fort which has always delivered a bag and a half of ice.  I went there twice on this trip, and it appears that after all these years, it has been adjusted.  Both times, I just got one bag full.  But at least it was a full bag.  The 100/200 loop ice machine only gave me half a bag:

MemorialDay2013742_zps06d61f38.jpg

Thieves!

I can't be too mad though.  I've been getting an extra half a bag from that other machine for years, so it will be a long, long time, before I can say I've been shorted.

Still, I will be making my future ice purchases elsewhere.

After this, I whipped up a little breakfast and got the girls up and going.

They were going to take off for the MK.  Since they had a car, they were going to go ahead and pack up and leave, and I would finish packing up, and meet them at home later.

But, we did have to take one last loop.

On 2000, we saw a guy who really worked hard to get a big tarp over everything in his site:

MemorialDay2013743_zps897022ae.jpg

The weekend warriors on 2000 were packing up and leaving like crazy.  I figured these two guests must know each other- they had identical small pop-ups which they towed with regular cars:

MemorialDay2013744_zps00d94530.jpg

MemorialDay2013745_zps7e73d340.jpg

I didn't do a very good job photographing this next site.  But, if you look, you'll see that they had a motorhome, pop-up, and carport tent all on one site. This was on the 1600 loop, and visible from the road.  The pop-up was way at the back of the site, off the coquina pad:

MemorialDay2013746_zps23291255.jpg

MemorialDay2013747_zps5ec19303.jpg

MemorialDay2013748_zps652ab4ce.jpg

I guess they must know the right person.

From here, we headed back so I could finish packing and the girls could take off.

That means we will be leaving soon.

And you might think that also means this report is about to wrap up.

But you would be wrong if you thought that.

TCD

That motorhome and popup have been there for months. There are parrot cages under the white canopy things and a living room type set up with chair and light etc. The pop has moved recently, but not far. One site down but still behind a motorhome. The white canopy thing is still there and another has sprouted up behind the motorhome.

This trailer was parked in the site right next to the bridge.  Note the door on the curb side of the unit. I don't recall ever seeing a trailer with a door on that side.  What's the deal? :

MemorialDay2013727_zps1515e9eb.jpg

Is that door on the street side?  We saw some trailers at the RV show this year with bunkrooms in back and a street side exit door.  I don't recall exactly....but it's possible that there is an outside kitchen on the other side.  In any case, I like having doors at both ends of a trailer, if for no other reason than ease of exit in the event of fire. 

That motorhome and popup have been there for months. There are parrot cages under the white canopy things and a living room type set up with chair and light etc. The pop has moved recently, but not far. One site down but still behind a motorhome. The white canopy thing is still there and another has sprouted up behind the motorhome.

Parrot cages?  Uh-oh!  The Sanford and Sons site had bird cages.  An one of these carports, now that I think about it.

There was a post just last week where people were insisting that there had been a crack-down on pop-ups behind motorhomes, but you say there is one there now?

Some crackdown.

ETA:

Here's a photo from last year around Halloween of a motorhome with a carport tent next to it with bird cages and furniture inside- I'm wondering if this is the same one that's on 1600 now:

FW101812283.jpg

Is that door on the street side?  We saw some trailers at the RV show this year with bunkrooms in back and a street side exit door.  I don't recall exactly....but it's possible that there is an outside kitchen on the other side.  In any case, I like having doors at both ends of a trailer, if for no other reason than ease of exit in the event of fire. 

Yes, it is on the street side.  I said curbside.  But it's street side.  I have not seen this before on a trailer.  I googled the name of the trailer, and see that this manufacturer's thing is being innoventive.  There is a big entertainment system, and a bedroom slide on the other side- so no place for a door- I am thinking this is an emergency exit. As I said, it's the first time I've ever seen a back door on that side of a trailer.

TCD

That is the same motor home. They moved from the 1800 to the 1600 loop right around when sanford and sons left and were in the 1200 before that. They also drive around with the parrots on the GC.

And yes there is a pop up in the site next to this one with a motor home in front.

That is the same motor home. They moved from the 1800 to the 1600 loop right around when sanford and sons left and were in the 1200 before that. They also drive around with the parrots on the GC.

And yes there is a pop up in the site next to this one with a motor home in front.

That is Nancy (aka The Bird Lady) she is the person who lost her husband at the FORT last year when he had a heart attack. She is also a TA. There was an article in one of the RV magazines a couple years ago about her and her husband, They actually "rescue" the birds that she has with her.

Yikes!  A back door out of the bathroom?

Why not?  I think it's a great idea, can enter just the bathroom without tromping through the rest of the camper, and if you need to go while on the road, can stop at a rest stop, walk back without walking around to the passenger side.

Those people with the bird cages were there in September of last year too. 

As Devores says below, this camper has been around the Fort for a while. I've heard people refer to her as the Bird Lady.  I did meet her once when she was on the 1200 loop.  She seemed nice enough.  And, her site was not junky. The Sanford and Sons folks seem to have rubbed off on her.

I think this is the floor plan. 

ST270BH_a9e3f0a27abed96d2956af0c2b4bb54c

Yes, that must be it.

Looking at the various configurations, this is the one with the door on the street side.

Yikes!  A back door out of the bathroom?

Yes, I didn't realize that was the bathroom.

But, I kind of like it.

As Carol says below, it would be great if you had kids- they could go in and use the bathroom without having to walk through the whole trailer.

OK- so, as Grumpy Dave confirms below, this is the Bird Lady.

She must have friends in high places at the Fort.

That is Nancy (aka The Bird Lady) she is the person who lost her husband at the FORT last year when he had a heart attack. She is also a TA. There was an article in one of the RV magazines a couple years ago about her and her husband, They actually "rescue" the birds that she has with her.

I remember someone (maybe you?) posting a link to the article.

She seems like a great person.

But, rules are rules.

Why not?  I think it's a great idea, can enter just the bathroom without tromping through the rest of the camper, and if you need to go while on the road, can stop at a rest stop, walk back without walking around to the passenger side.

Yes.  I agree with this.

Didn't think about being able to use the bathroom on the road.

And, it would be great if you were camping at a beach- you could shower all the sand and stuff off inside without walking through the living area.

TCD

There's a reason she moves around the fort. Ill keep my opinions to myself, but yes, rules are rules and everyone should have to follow them regardless.

We have been nearly a year and you could not tell. Just saying.

There's a reason she moves around the fort. Ill keep my opinions to myself, but yes, rules are rules and everyone should have to follow them regardless.

We have been nearly a year and you could not tell. Just saying.

Yeah?  Well you are missing out on an opportunity to make some money by renting out the back of your site as a pop-up site. ;)

TCD

Since you are a former junkie, how about answering these questions, which have always bugged me:

1. Where is earth? Is it ever even mentioned?

2. Who paid for all that stuff they have? Seriously, where did the money come from for the Death Star, and who funded the Rebels? All those space ships and stuff can't be cheap.

3. How come there is air everywhere and everyone can breath it?

4. What about gravity? It seems to be the same wherever anyone goes in space.

5. How is it that there are a zillion storm troopers shooting at the good guys and nobody ever gets shot? Not even nicked.

Sorry, I forgot I wanted to answer these questions. Understand, I am a purist, so these are purist answers.

1. Where is earth? Is it ever even mentioned

A galaxy far, far away. Perhaps doesn't even exist yet. That is, perhaps the planet known as "earth" has not even formed yet. Star Wars happened "a long time ago."

2. Who paid for all that stuff they have? Seriously, where did the money come from for the Death Star, and who funded the Rebels? All those space ships and stuff can't be cheap.

It depends on which side you're asking about. The Empire is very much like the Nazis -- they rape and pillage the homeworlds of alien races and enslave them. Wookies, for example, are heavily enslaved by the Empire.

The Rebels are the leftovers of the Old Republic that splintered from the Empire when Palpatine declared himself Emperor. They are vestiges of the good guys who ran the Old Republic as a democracy. The Rebels fight with the weaponry, ships, and materiel of the Old Republic. That's why it looks so old and beat up.

Passenger ships are equipped with artificial gravity generators.

5. How is it that there are a zillion storm troopers shooting at the good guys and nobody ever gets shot? Not even nicked.

Ahhh...remember, a stormtrooper shot Leia in the ROTJ. The stormtroopers shot C3PO in ESB. And the Empire entirely routed the good guys in ESB. Even so, the stormtroopers are shock troops. Since the Empire has absolutely no regard for human life, the stormtroopers are simply conscripts impressed into service. They receive very little training, and the Empire's battle strategy is to simply overwhelm the enemy with sheer numbers, the way the Soviets fought the Germans in WWII.

The backstory of Star Wars was logical, interesting, and well thought out...until Lucas ruined it all with those prequel abominations.

How's that for nerdy?

Sorry, I forgot I wanted to answer these questions. Understand, I am a purist, so these are purist answers.

1. Where is earth? Is it ever even mentioned

A galaxy far, far away. Perhaps doesn't even exist yet. That is, perhaps the planet known as "earth" has not even formed yet. Star Wars happened "a long time ago."

It depends on which side you're asking about. The Empire is very much like the Nazis -- they rape and pillage the homeworlds of alien races and enslave them. Wookies, for example, are heavily enslaved by the Empire.

The Rebels are the leftovers of the Old Republic that splintered from the Empire when Palpatine declared himself Emperor. They are vestiges of the good guys who ran the Old Republic as a democracy. The Rebels fight with the weaponry, ships, and materiel of the Old Republic. That's why it looks so old and beat up.

Passenger ships are equipped with artificial gravity generators.

Ahhh...remember, a stormtrooper shot Leia in the ROTJ. The stormtroopers shot C3PO in ESB. And the Empire entirely routed the good guys in ESB. Even so, the stormtroopers are shock troops. Since the Empire has absolutely no regard for human life, the stormtroopers are simply conscripts impressed into service. They receive very little training, and the Empire's battle strategy is to simply overwhelm the enemy with sheer numbers, the way the Soviets fought the Germans in WWII.

The backstory of Star Wars was logical, interesting, and well thought out...until Lucas ruined it all with those prequel abominations.

How's that for nerdy?

Bravo Troll!!! I never bothered to answer him cause I figured I had exposed my geekiness enough

I like the street side door on the bathroom. This way, if I am having a tough time finding my way back to the campsite after some fun at Crockett's and I need to use the facilities, I can just go on in without disturbing you while you are sitting under your awning.

As far as the bird lady, birds are annoying. I don't care if you rescued them or not. They are loud and obnoxious. In Central America, they are considered pests. So no worries. If the bird lady and her following are there when I am, there will be some exotic meats grilling on FWGuy's BBQ. Stop by.

As far as the bird lady, birds are annoying. I don't care if you rescued them or not. They are loud and obnoxious. In Central America, they are considered pests. So no worries. If the bird lady and her following are there when I am, there will be some exotic meats grilling on FWGuy's BBQ. Stop by.

Mmmm...BBQ macaw. Dibs on the white meat.