Happy Fall Y'all! TCD's September 2013 Not So Scary TR

Andrew, great to see another fort trip report from you. I thought we would all have to wait til the holidays. Great job on the 900 loop. We are actually starting to like it more than the 800. I feel a little safer with the kids in that loop riding their bikes since there is less people. Did it rain or what last week? We had major flooding at work. Just drying up this weekend. If the fort got just as much, I feel sorry for the 1900 loop and all the people in tents. 2 more months before we get our AP's. then we can finally enjoy the food and wine festival along with all the other things we never see. Looking forward to a great report

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you will still have 3 very expensive princess dresses to buy. And the color is white.

Lol. Only a southerner knows what "bless your heart..." Really means.

Ray I know you warned us, But you still owe me that 3:45 of my life back. 

Don't you people work? Jeez, I can't make page one of anything.

Page 2 is better than 3 though!

That pretzel brat looks no where near as good as the pretzel dog at DHS! I hope you got one of those this trip.

Page two is the new page one. Haven't we had this discussion? Lol

ANOTHER one?  

Geesh!  I haven't even gotten through the last few reports of yours, let alone any of the others!

Once again I am in envy of your frequent visits to WDW and the Fort, especially now that I am so far away.

The "turn your engine" sign was there when we were there in June, so it's been there at least that long, and I think I recall seeing it on trips prior to that.

Those folks at the guard shack probably weren't guests and were simply trying to get past him to go to the pool or whatever.

If I can't get reservations at Christmas, that will be me.  Except I won't go to the pool, just looping.

Very happy to hear you got the whole fan-dam together, at the Fort no less!  Perfect.

Ok, we are off an running.

Let's get to these comments, and then it's update time.

I'm in :)

And first!

Well done.

I'm in!

Of course the pork belly was good, it's un-smoked "BACON".......

Really?  I didn't know that.  To me, it tasted like a very good pork chop.  Definitely one of the favorite things I had that night.

First page

Yes.  Good job.

You might have also gotten a shout out in the first post.  But, you were in Louisiana at the time.

I'm in!

Yep.

And you beat Dave.

First page too!

Good job, Gwen.

Where is Dave to page hog? I may need to do one or two post in his honor to try and secure all the hot spots on page 1.

Nicely done.

Only, you should have double posted to bump Dave to page 2.

Oh, I am here.  But I'm a bit scared to post....being afraid that Andrew will actually post a picture of him eating the sausage.  So I am going to stay quiet. 

LOL.

I'll hold back on the sausage eating photo to keep you in line.

Do you people have any idea how hard it is for me to stay quiet?? 

So...I will comment on a couple other things. 

That kimchi dog looks like garbage.  Does not look like real kimchi to me.  Like you said...looks like slaw. 

The pretzel roll looks too little.  Makes the sausage look quite strange. 

The trading post is looking pretty nice these days.  I would love to try out those new coffee and cocoa machines.  INC and I love going down there in the evening without kids, and I make a nice 50/50 mix of decaf and cocoa to sip on the porch.  Wish we could get back there sometime. 

Ok, that's about all. 

Your observations are spot-on.  The kimchi dog (my spell check wants me to say kimchee)  is a fail.  The "brat" on the pretzel roll is not.  I agree that the meat to pretzel ratio is not optimum, but it's still good.

That cocoa concoction would be a cinch now that there is a cocoa machine.  And, the Joffrey's coffee is not bad.  I tested it all weekend, and never got a cold cup.  There was only once that they ran out of coffee- but that was right after opening time one morning at the Meadow Trading Post.

Did I make the top of page two???

Nah.  You have solid page one bragging rights.

For future reference, 20 posts go on a page, so it's pretty easy to figure out where your post is going to fall.

I agree the sausage pretzel roll looks sad.

Oh and Dave we have a battle of the losers going on our fantasy football this week. Me vs you lol

What's that, your third page one post? 

Nice DIT impersonation!

TCD

I'm in...looking forward to the report.

Glad to have you along.

You are right Dave, my fears were totally unfounded.  I spent all day Sat. passing those dogs out and couldn't smell a thing.  As anyone who has been there knows, it you can't smell it, it AIN'T kimchi!!

So, Thursday Australia, and Saturday Korea.

Where to next?

I've never been to Korea, but I did date a Korean girl for 3 years in college.  Her mother's house smelled like rotten cabbage, fermented fish and hot sauce.  That was close enough for me.  I learned to eat the stuff to not offend her mother, but I never did like it.  And eventually I got to tell her exactly what I thought of it.  LOL> 

You are a brave man, Dave.

I have heard a lot about kimchi/kimchee, and I want to try the real deal some time.

From all that I have heard, what they are trying to pass off as kimchi at the Food and Wine Festival isn't even close to the real deal.

FPBR!!

Now going back to read.

Good job, Marty!

I'm in.

I miss the bus pilot around here amongst others.

Looking forward to more.

I had another SBP encounter later in the trip.

I miss his posting too.

I'm in

Welcome, neighbor.

In again

Congrats again.  Page one still!

First page bragging rights!  I love the food and wine festival!  Can't wait to hear more!

Nice!  You made it just under the wire.

I'm here with the rest of the gang.

Last one to get FPBR, nicely done.

I'm in!

And robbed of page 1 again. Thanks Dave.

Looking forward to the report. I think you guys are going to make it there more than you think.

Live Troll Rants! Love it.

You was robbed!

Dave's fault!

Always Dave's fault.

Yes, live Troll RantsTM.

And, I will be making another visit under the bridge later in this report. 

TCD

Whoa.........looks looky here. An honest to goodness TCD TR about a stay at the fort. Bonus!!!!!

I've heard you talk about college football's impact on your schedule before. It never really resonated with me until this year. Now, when DW and I want to see DS, we consult the football schedule first. You are a wise man TCD.

Captain Lou has his head tilted just right, and I'm sure he's wearing a St. Louis Cardinals baseball cap. Don't try to convince me otherwise, I'll just assume you are doing something fancy with Photoshop or your purple pen.

Pretty sweet flight deal at $39 and getting a AAA discount to boot. Hope you used some of that luck to buy a Powerball ticket.

Yeah, nothing beats a TCD FORT TR. 

You can't see that big ugly B on Captain Lou's cap?  He is loving his Sox about now.  But, he told me he hopes they don't have to play the Rays in the Division Championship.

I should have bought that Powerball ticket, but I spent all the extra cash at the Food and Wine Festival.  Those little $4 and $5 plates add up quick.

I am in. Also I can answer what the white thing is. At least what I suspect it is. It looks like a wireless access point. Probably to provide good reception to the Ipads they are using sometimes for check in. 

I forgot about those iPads.  You're probably right.  I was wondering why they needed so much wireless access there, but that would explain it.

Where's Bob?

Go Braves!

LOL!

Somebody poke Bob, because I'm going to be breaking out some photos of his dock to kick off our first morning at the Fort.

Andrew, great to see another fort trip report from you. I thought we would all have to wait til the holidays. Great job on the 900 loop. We are actually starting to like it more than the 800. I feel a little safer with the kids in that loop riding their bikes since there is less people. Did it rain or what last week? We had major flooding at work. Just drying up this weekend. If the fort got just as much, I feel sorry for the 1900 loop and all the people in tents. 2 more months before we get our AP's. then we can finally enjoy the food and wine festival along with all the other things we never see. Looking forward to a great report

I can't remember the exact site you were on when I last saw you on 900, but the Troll was on a site on that stretch of the loop.  He likes it there too.

Hold that thought about the 1900 loop and all the rain.  I have some photos you might like.

I think you'll like the Food and Wine Festival when you finally get a chance to go.  You'll love being a passholder- you can just pop in and out whenever you want.

Who are these Braves you speak of? LoL

LOL.

The catchphrase for this TR is Go Rays!

At least for today.

Hopefully, it will be the same tomorrow.

I'm in! Glad you got everyone in on a trip to the Fort!

Me too.  It took a bit of planning, but it all worked perfectly.

I'm in. Now that my adventure is over I have time to read about someone else's. :)

Sorry that your adventure is already over.

But, mine is too.

You wrote yours as you went.  I have to re-tell mine.

Nice to see you can still get to the fort with your girls. I bet you really enjoy the time together. We went camping at the river this weekend and it was so much fun to watch my little girl experience things.

I still have fun watching my girls experience things.

Glad to hear you got the new trailer out for a camping trip.

I'm in, too!

Welcome!

TCD

I'm in. Great pix and waiting to see more. Keep them coming.

Glad to have you along, Ray.

I will keep the photos coming.

Don't worry, I've got plenty.

I even have a couple from the first day I haven't posted yet.

Including one of me consuming a sausage which makes DIT uncomfortable just thinking about.

Don't you people work?  Jeez, I can't make page one of anything.

Page 2 is better than 3 though!

That pretzel brat looks no where near as good as the pretzel dog at DHS!  I hope you got one of those this trip.

Yes, page 2 is good on a TCD TR.

Agreed on the DHS pretzel dog.  Spoiler alert- I did make it to DHS, but still no pretzel dog for me.  Don't feel too bad for me, though, I got something else there that I really like.

I'm in. Maybe page 2, or even 3. Can't wait for more.

Dave I agree. Needs more pretzel.

Welcome.

It seems that we have a rare time where there is unanimous agreement on ff.net about an important issue.  The pretzel roll needs to be bigger!

Page two is the new page one. Haven't we had this discussion? Lol

You are right.

And, you are the new DIT of page 2!

Agree. Pretzel should be as big as the wurst that's served with it.

See?

Unanimous!

Page Two, whew I made it.

Yes, barely.

Ray was about to block you out!

ANOTHER one?  

Geesh!  I haven't even gotten through the last few reports of yours, let alone any of the others!

Once again I am in envy of your frequent visits to WDW and the Fort, especially now that I am so far away.

The "turn your engine" sign was there when we were there in June, so it's been there at least that long, and I think I recall seeing it on trips prior to that.

Those folks at the guard shack probably weren't guests and were simply trying to get past him to go to the pool or whatever.

If I can't get reservations at Christmas, that will be me.  Except I won't go to the pool, just looping.

Very happy to hear you got the whole fan-dam together, at the Fort no less!  Perfect.

Glad to hear from you, Cyndee.

Is it getting cold up in PA yet?

Well, if I can't be there, at least I can read about it! Looking forward to more. Too bad about the grapefruit beer. I tried it in July and really liked it. Very refreshing on a hot day.

Congrats!  You get top of page 3 bragging rights!

Don't worry about me and the grapefruit beer.  Since I couldn't get it the first night, that gave me a reason to go back this trip.  And we did.  You'll find out about the lengths I went to to get that darned grapefruit beer.

TCD

An update is coming, but first I need to correct a couple of oversights that I missed in the initial post.

The most glaring oversight is that I left out something really important that happened on Thursday afternoon.

It's my meeting with Fort Wilderness Guy.

How could I have forgotten that?

Maybe I need to start taking notes like some of my fellow Fiends?

Anyway, before we move on, I need to report about my meeting with the famous FWG on Thursday afternoon.

As soon as I was done setting up, I needed to go looping.

I knew that FWG was on the 1800 loop, so I headed that way.

I could hear FWG's site way before I could see it.

I heard loud bass music.  Like the kind you can hear when some cool kids pull up next to you at a traffic light, and your car shakes?  Like that.

I pulled into the loop, and approached cautiously. That thumping bass was coming from a trailer near the loop entrance.

The door to FWG's crib/camper flew open, and out he came!

I had never met him before.  I was taken aback.  I don't know what I was expecting.  But, I wasn't expecting all the gold.  Or the diamond encrusted grill. Or the tats.  But, he seemed friendly enough.  We chatted for a while.  He called me "Playa" and used the phrase "fo shizzle" a lot.  I am not sure exactly what he was saying most of the time- there was a lot of slang.  But, I could tell that he was really cool.  I wasn't put off by his looks or talk.  But, then I saw the big wrecking ball which he had hung with a chain from a tree branch overhanging his site.  At one point in our conversation, he asked me to wait a minute, and he came out of the camper with a big foam finger and started to climb up on the wrecking ball.  When he stopped to pull his t-shirt over his head, I spotted my opportunity, and I hopped on my cart and got the heck out of there. So, sorry that the meeting was so brief, Jim.  It was good to meet you.

The second oversight was I forgot to explain the title of the thread.  When we met up with Lou and Gail at Epcot, we went through the normal introductions, and discussed a game plan.  My oldest DD suggested that we split up, so the young folks could travel at their pace and us old folks could travel at ours.  I remember that she used the word "Y'all" a lot.  Lou asked me later if she used to say "Y'all" that much before she moved to Alabama.  He had a point.  For the rest of the weekend, we all noticed the "Y'alls."  And there were a lot of them.  My oldest got teased a bit about it.  And, maybe we all started to say "Y'all" a lot more than we used to.  Anyway, that's where the title came from.

Lastly, I am sure you noticed the photos from the first afternoon/evening of this trip were a bit sparse. There are a couple of reasons for this.  First, it's hard to take photos at the Food and Wine Festival.  Think about it.  You only have two hands.  One hand may have a plate with food on it.  The other might have a drink.  There's no place for the camera. It's hard enough trying to figure out how to get the food from the plate and into your mouth. Also, the girls all had their phones and/or cameras and were taking photos.  I figured I would get copies of some of their photos.  So far, that hasn't happened, but I was able to swipe a couple off of my oldest daughter's Facebook.  So, here's a couple more photos from Thursday night at the Food and Wine Festival:

foodandwine2_zps1f01f648.jpg

foodandwine_zpsc1d58ba1.jpg

There may be some more photos that come into my possession, and if they do, I'll post them.

For now, I think we can move on.

TCD

Being from the south I am very pro y'all, and standing IN line, or offering a Coke to someone and then asking what kind.

I am anti youins, or yous guys, or being ON line, or offering Pop (unless I am offering my father or grandfathers help.) 

So bless your heart Lou for making fun of "y'all"  I know I don't have to worry about Lou seeing this because he doesn't read trip reports.

Glad to hear from you, Cyndee.

Is it getting cold up in PA yet?

Very funny.  My first thought was, "bite me", instead I will simply rub it in that in fact the weather I am experiencing now is far more pleasant than what I remember being this time of year in FL.

It's gonna be 80 today, the windows are open and I can go for a run without feeling like I am going to melt into the pavement!

The hills are beginning to get very colorful and there are REAL pumpkin patches and hayrides and apple picking!

And, I don't have to change my shirt after going out to get the mail or a short ride in the car where the a/c didn't have time to cool it down.

I realize this will all change very soon……but am making the best of it and "blooming where I'm planted".