We Need a Little Christmas- TCD's Express Christmas TR

Sorry, didn't mean to be confusing about the tent, what I meant was that I used to fold up the sleeping bags during the day so we would have some more room to walk in the tent to change or get out of the rain, and so no one would leave muddy footprints on my bed...  

I guess I tented totally differently..... I just had a really big tent so I would have walking room anyway. (13x13 L shaped tent just for me) I always set up a a double high air mattress, and ALWAYS had an outside rain shelter for my chair just outside the door so I could enter and leave the tent dry. and wasn't stuck inside the tent when it rained.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the pictures!  SPBR?  I guess that will have to do - not too shabby for my third post.  :)

Do do do do.

Andrew, please don't stray from the official anti-Magicband talking points.  Next thing I know, you'll be telling us you got something to drink from the MSB Star.....oh wait.  Nevermind.  You already

I guess I tented totally differently..... I just had a really big tent so I would have walking room anyway. (13x13 L shaped tent just for me) I always set up a a double high air mattress, and ALWAYS had an outside rain shelter for my chair just outside the door so I could enter and leave the tent dry. and wasn't stuck inside the tent when it rained.

That is what we do.  We just need a bigger one because we have 3 air mattresses.  I would prefer not to have to move anything and keep it all orderly.  We are looking for a bigger one that we can afford.  I'd love to tent camp at the Fort but my husband says no way after the amount of rain we got on our last trip.  The whole time he kept saying do you know how miserable we would be if we were tent camping.  :)

TCD,

I haven't been on here for months, so what a treat to come on today and see a trip report from you! Lucky me. I am just beginning page 5 and it sounds like a great trip so far. I was surprised to read that there wasn't any Christmas props on the actual Jungle Cruise ride. I just assumed that there would be!

I haven't stayed in the Big Bear loop for 26 years now, but from the age of 8 until I was 20, that was the loop we stayed in at least once a year. We loved that it was close to the campfire program as well as the "field" to play pick-up softball games!!! That was when there was no pool, but a larger field.

Back to reading!!

Heidi

I have a feeling our trusty explorer TCD may be ringing in the new year at the fort or at least at Disney since he has been absent from this trip report for a bit. Any sightings of him? If I'm true, I call page one on the pre trip report...lol. Happy new year all.

That is what we do.  We just need a bigger one because we have 3 air mattresses.  I would prefer not to have to move anything and keep it all orderly.  We are looking for a bigger one that we can afford.  I'd love to tent camp at the Fort but my husband says no way after the amount of rain we got on our last trip.  The whole time he kept saying do you know how miserable we would be if we were tent camping.  :)

Fowlandfishmommy, I sent you a PM. Hoping you read it and will be able to join us.

I have a feeling our trusty explorer TCD may be ringing in the new year at the fort or at least at Disney since he has been absent from this trip report for a bit. Any sightings of him? If I'm true, I call page one on the pre trip report...lol. Happy new year all.

You are right, I saw TCD & the twins new Years Eve heading to the boat for the MK. I at least got a chance to say high and to thank him for the SPIKE I was fortunate enough to receive via Lou at our GG the 29th at the Fort. So keep your eyes open as I'm sure he will treat us with another wonderful trip report, but I would not count on two at once.

I hope you're not going to use the dog ate my computer as a reason for not being on here.

Ha, ha!! I wish!! I had some good reasons, my youngest ran cross country this Fall, so I traveled all over the state watching the meets, that was fun! The other reason wasn't so fun.....needed to have genetic counseling/testing due to having had two cancers. That took 1 1/2 months of terrible anxiety, but I am happy to report that I was tested for three different genetic mutations and I don't have any of them!! Yippee!! Soon after that bit of good news, I needed a biopsy for an area of concern, which meant another couple weeks of waiting/worrying, but I again received good news that all was well! Double Yippee!!     All is good, but man, wish my reason for not being here had been because of a hungry dog!!

I finally finished!! What a fun way to spend parts of New Years Eve and Day, reading a TCD trip report!

I have to tell you that my husband LOVES Good & Plenty!! Santa even left him two boxes in his stocking!! Me on the other hand, you couldn't pay me to eat them!

I agree that pin board at the Outpost was looking pretty weak! We are big pin collectors and I could tell that all of those pins were CM hidden Mickey pins from old sets. I didn't even see any from the 2013 set.  Over the years though, we have had fantastic luck getting new editions of the hidden Mickey sets (what we mostly collect) in the Meadow Trading Post.

We like the pretzel dogs too. However, on our August trip, all of the mustard on mine was ALL at one end. UGH!! No mustard on most of it and way to much on one little part of it. I think next time, I'll do what the twins do and get it on the side.

Thanks for sharing!

Heidi

Thats cool rennie. Maybe it will be included as bonus at the end of this report.

And i wonder if he worked out anything to head to Pasadena for the Auburn-FSU game?

I've been wondering the same. Seems unlikely if they're at the Fort now, but maybe!

Ha, ha!! I wish!! I had some good reasons, my youngest ran cross country this Fall, so I traveled all over the state watching the meets, that was fun! The other reason wasn't so fun.....needed to have genetic counseling/testing due to having had two cancers. That took 1 1/2 months of terrible anxiety, but I am happy to report that I was tested for three different genetic mutations and I don't have any of them!! Yippee!! Soon after that bit of good news, I needed a biopsy for an area of concern, which meant another couple weeks of waiting/worrying, but I again received good news that all was well! Double Yippee!!     All is good, but man, wish my reason for not being here had been because of a hungry dog!!

So glad that you had 2 rounds of good news!!!!

And, I'm back!

Sorry for the delay.

But, the TCD girls were home from school, and we had to celebrate Christmas.

And think of something to do for New Year's.

Which we did.

But, let's get to the comments so we can get this stalled report moving again:

I don't remember seeing the shirt on the bottom left before.  Does anyone have a closeup of it?

Your wish is my command.

Hang on just a second or two while the photo uploads.

Great tr as usual, TCD

Thanks, but keep reading- this one ain't quite done yet.

Yes, I'm heading out of the Fort, but a few things happened before we got on our way home.

Well the presents are open, the food has been cooked and now it's time for dad to relax and get caught up on fort fiends. Andrew, you caught me off guard and just realized you had a new TR here. Yipeeeee....page 10. Anyways, you had so many cool things I'll try to remember what I was going to write.

1. Jingle cruise- I guess I would give Disney an "A" for effort on this. I totally agree they could have done such a better job if they themed some of the items along the cruise. Even some Christmas lights would have been a good touch. We got excited with the themed que and the colored lights on the dock across the river. I guess that's what we get for not reading about it prior and waiting almost an hour during a MVMCP I will say this was the first time we did the JC at night and I thought it was much better

2. Fort decorations- a real big kudos to Disney for decorating the fort in normal grand style. As you pointed out even with the small attention to details of tree ornaments. I think they do a great job from pioneer hall to each bus stop. The only thing that stunk for us during our thanksgiving trip was ,there was a large strand of lights out on your favorite tree near pioneer hall right in the middle of it. This was a huge fail for nighttime holiday photos. If you had a chance to stop at the contemporary you would probably agree they super slacked on holiday decorations. When standing on the dock and looking at the hotel, nothing looked like Christmas. Even in the lobby, besides the huge Mickey ears wreath and the gingerbread tree, they were severly lacking decorations, at least for usual Disney tradition.

3. Magic bandits- Only Disney could think of ways to recoup 1 billion dollars through plastic crap that will get lost on you trip. I guess if this is your once a year magical vacation from Antarctica and have a wad of money to blow, you could bling yourself and your band out. Totally crazy yet very smart.

4. Packing in the rain- nothing worse. When we had a pop up it was always a re-set up back at the house to dry everything out. I learned the hard way with boat canvas/tops years ago. No fun

5. Personal opinions on FF- I think this past year it has been seen how some people take offense to personal opinions. This is the internet.. Everything is a goof on the net. I'm not sure what you said about the people with the white "plastic car ports" in a previous TR, but I'm guessing it may have been the Sanford and son group that brought a ton of junk. If it is, I wouldn't care how they felt. I felt it was a disgrace to the fort. See, I said it...lol

This was a great quick report. It's so great you can still pull these off from time to time with school schedules. We bought our AP's last week and are totally excited. There may not be as many fort trips as in the past due to rising site cost, but many more quick weekend trips at an Expedia deal hotel. Hope you had a great Christmas.

Thanks for reading and commenting, Dave.

You made some very good points there, and I agree with all of them.  I hope you and your family make good use of those passes.  Remember, that at least for now, old room keys can be used to pull paper FP's in addition to your FP+'s.  With proper planning, this means you can ride whatever you want, as many times as you want, with no waiting.  It surely won't be like that forever, but enjoy it while you can!

Great TR as always!  Okay so I'd like to hijack your report and discuss those tents that attach to your SUV.  We are tent campers and are looking for a bigger one.  We have looked into these.  We just can't decide if they really are a good idea.  I drive a suburban.  Here is the thing, you have to take your home apart to go anywhere.  I just can't think of too many pluses.  Am I missing something?  They look so cool so I want to like them.

You know, I never even thought about the not being able to drive anywhere part.  That is a problem.  Not so much at the Fort, but certainly at other campgrounds.  I still think it would be good for a quick camping trip.

3 benches for me please

I'll put you on the list.  I put myself down for four.

I'll take one bench and two rockers.

OK.

I want to make my own camp fire and movie. So I can have a little bit of the Fort at home.

Me too.  I would love to build a fire pit in my back yard, and surround it with some of those benches.  That would be awesome.

I don't have a photo of that t-shirt on the bottom, but I remember that it did not say Fort Wilderness on it.  It was something stupid like pacific or west coast camping.

I would love a bench too please.  Let me know when, and I will have my dad come pick it up.

Correct!

This is the shirt:

371_zps64a47f63.jpg

Why would they be trying to sell a shirt about Pacific Lakeside camping in Fort Wilderness?

TCD

More comments:

Should we totally hijack this thread until TCD is back? What could we discuss?

Wow.  Christmas just ended, and you're already going on the naughty list for next year.

How about the Gator blocking another Gator play being named the #1 play on the Not-Top Plays for 2013 on ESPN?

Oh man, you're on the naughty list too. 

How about not?

Thank you.

A voice of reason.

I am always amazed at some of what I see when at FW, (I posted last year about out-of-control groups and the trashed group areas they left behind....)  TCD's pics remind me that the real problem isn't with the groups or people who take advantage, there will always be those who are self-centered and oblivious.  The real problem is with FW allowing it to happen.  Just as with society in general, if the rules are not perceived to be fairly enforced, then respect for the rules quickly goes out the window....

The icing on the cake is when someone is "offended" when their bad behaviour is pointed out!    :banghead:

TCD, does this rate a RWOG award?   :laugh:

Very good point.

It's not acceptable tor Fort management to just ignore their own rules.

Okay I think I get it.  Not really for families with kids?  No one really sleeps in the tent?  I didn't really understand what you meant on this part of your comment, "many people in tents do that anyway so they can walk in the tent"

Also on you signature. God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.  -- I know the man who wrote that song.  Sweetest guy and family.  His daughter and I grew up together.  I worked with his wife.  They are friends of my parents and live in the same tiny town as them.  And right across the river from me.  :)

Now, that's a good hijack.

I love that song too, and it's cool that you know the guy who wrote the song.  Is there a true story that it's based on?

TCD,

I haven't been on here for months, so what a treat to come on today and see a trip report from you! Lucky me. I am just beginning page 5 and it sounds like a great trip so far. I was surprised to read that there wasn't any Christmas props on the actual Jungle Cruise ride. I just assumed that there would be!

I haven't stayed in the Big Bear loop for 26 years now, but from the age of 8 until I was 20, that was the loop we stayed in at least once a year. We loved that it was close to the campfire program as well as the "field" to play pick-up softball games!!! That was when there was no pool, but a larger field.

Back to reading!!

Heidi

Great to hear from you Heidi!

I wish there was a way for me to travel back in time to when the Meadow Recreation Area was really just a meadow.

Good call.

Turns out your instincts were right on this.

You are right, I saw TCD & the twins new Years Eve heading to the boat for the MK. I at least got a chance to say high and to thank him for the SPIKE I was fortunate enough to receive via Lou at our GG the 29th at the Fort. So keep your eyes open as I'm sure he will treat us with another wonderful trip report, but I would not count on two at once.

True.

That meeting has to go in the record book for the shortest Fiend meeting of all time.

Sorry 'bout that Rennie.  As you know, it was NYE, and the MK boat was there, and I would have been murdered or worse if we missed it.

I had hoped to run into you again around the Fort.

Thats cool rennie. Maybe it will be included as bonus at the end of this report.

And i wonder if he worked out anything to head to Pasadena for the Auburn-FSU game?

Sorry, no bonus.

We were there for three nights.

Over NYE.

That requires a whole separate report.

And, unfortunately, the FSU/Auburn game trip got scrubbed.  I'll explain that in the NYE report.

Which will launch if this one ever gets done.

I wonder if TCD can be talked into making a quick trip for MLK weekend so I can act like a 13yo again, screaming and pointing when I see him. 

Cause he is rock star.

Just in case you didn't already know that.

I'll see what I can do.

But, being a Rock Star and all, you have to imagine how busy my calendar is.

TCD

Just a few more comments before we move on:

So glad to hear this.  I had noticed your absence, and was worried that maybe something was wrong.  Good to hear you're well and following your son around the state!

I finally finished!! What a fun way to spend parts of New Years Eve and Day, reading a TCD trip report!

I have to tell you that my husband LOVES Good & Plenty!! Santa even left him two boxes in his stocking!! Me on the other hand, you couldn't pay me to eat them!

I agree that pin board at the Outpost was looking pretty weak! We are big pin collectors and I could tell that all of those pins were CM hidden Mickey pins from old sets. I didn't even see any from the 2013 set.  Over the years though, we have had fantastic luck getting new editions of the hidden Mickey sets (what we mostly collect) in the Meadow Trading Post.

We like the pretzel dogs too. However, on our August trip, all of the mustard on mine was ALL at one end. UGH!! No mustard on most of it and way to much on one little part of it. I think next time, I'll do what the twins do and get it on the side.

Thanks for sharing!

Heidi

Wow!

That's amazing.

Someone who actually loves Good and Plenty?

Your husband isn't from Iraq is he?

I've been wondering the same. Seems unlikely if they're at the Fort now, but maybe!

Yup, you're right.

We couldn't make it to Pasadena.

But we were able to squeeze in a Fort trip.

I'm glad it worked out the way it did.

So if y'all are bored come on over and read my TR until TCD is back.  I've added tons of updates over the last week.  And another today. 

Best Trip Ever, but rain, rain, go away. 

Agreed.

Go read that TR!

It's a good one, from a different perspective.

I'll continue to work on this one, but the weekend is already upon us, and this one isn't going to finished until some time next week.

TCD

Please remain seated.  This attraction will resume movement immediately.

We left off with the impromptu backstage tour.

After passing the benches, we passed by this generic looking aluminum building.  It's not much to look at, and apparently is the home of the laundry equipment for Fort Wilderness:

FW121313523_zps7ed17ebc.jpg

But this building wasn't always to laundry room.

Nope.

In a previous life it was known as the Round House.

It's where they kept the FWRR trains at night.  Supposedly, the old train tracks are still on the floor.  If the jackwagons behind be weren't tailgating, I would have stopped and run over to look for the tracks.  But, instead, I had to keep going.

Abomination Photobomb:

FW121313524_zps5a7fdf87.jpg

A couple of interesting things I see in that photo-  do you see the truck there with all the wheeled compartments behind it?  Do you know what that is?  That's the truck they use to deliver the mousekeeper's carts to the cabin loops every morning.  They load them up with clean towels and linens back here, and take them back and forth every day.

Also, in both of the photos above, you can see that there is some lumber stacked up, and what looks to me like a prefabricated deck railing.  I wonder if they are replacing the wooden cabin decks?  Some of them are 15 years old now.

The calliope trailer is parked in the spot where it's been for a while now.  I assume that the calliope is in there:

FW121313525_zpsddbced85.jpg

In case you have plans to visit back here, note that access from the Vista Blvd. entrance is controlled by a gate:

FW121313526_zps48476a65.jpg

An old curmudgeon of a bus driver once shared that he loves to drive under these oaks:

FW121313527_zps495058ac.jpg

So do I.

The horse facilities are off  to the right here:

FW121313528_zpsabb805d7.jpg

The overflow lot had overflowed on to the field adjacent to the old kennel building this morning:

FW121313530_zps3156bbd8.jpg

What a mess:

FW121313532_zps90b8e38d.jpg

The thing is that there was still space in the real overflow lot:

FW121313533_zps83940021.jpg

We needed to park someplace too, because we weren't heading home just yet.

But, I know a better place than the overflow lot.

I'll share it with you as your reward for reading this far in to a TCD TR, but don't tell anyone.  If too many people use my secret place, then they're going to have to stop allowing it.  And I wouldn't be happy about that.

Here's a clue to where we're going- we are passing by the Fort entrance sign.  I thought this was the last time I would be seeing the Fort's Christmas decorations this year:

FW121313534_zps5812225d.jpg

We headed straight to Wilderness Lodge.  Showed my parking pass and resort ID to the security guard, and she directed us to the far edge of the parking lot.  We then headed in to the Lodge and I got a nice bowl of the WL chili for lunch.  Twin #1 tried a new pressed sandwich that I don't recall seeing on the menu before, and pronounced it to be a winner.

Then we hopped the bus to Animal Kingdom.

The WL bus to AK stops at the Grand Floridian- which makes for a long ride:

FW121313535_zps147297c7.jpg

It also stops at Blizzard Beach, which was open for business.  The parking lot was practically empty, though:

FW121313536_zpsd8e4ece9.jpg

FW121313538_zps942b2611.jpg

It was warm enough a day, that I would have gone to Blizzard Beach if I had a pass that would've let me in.  Can you imagine what fun it would be to have the place to yourself?

Finally, we arrived at our destination.  Here's the AK Christmas tree.  Also note the shorts and t-shirts. On December 15.  It's good to be TCD:

FW121313539_zps503a2f7a.jpg

We came to the AK because the girls wanted to see the Jingle Jungle parade, and possibly the Festival of the Lion King show one last time before it closed down to move to the new theater.

We weren't sure how busy it would be, but the Tip Board showed that Expedition Everest was only a 30 minute wait, and the Safari was only 10.  Oh, and we had FP+ reservations made already too:

FW121313540_zpsfe53afba.jpg

We had a FP+ reservation that was already good at EE, so we headed there.  From the bridge heading in to the Asia area, you can see the construction on what I believe is going to be the new FOTLK theater building:

FW121313541_zps9aa84954.jpg

I took this photo for possible use on the Where in the World? thread here on ff.net, but now I can't remember where in Asia I took it.  I think it was on the bridge:

FW121313542_zps84d95317.jpg

I think these must be fake flowers in this tree- but maybe they're real:

FW121313543_zps42979be1.jpg

There's a place along the path here that's a photo op to take a photo with the EE mountain in the background.  This afternoon, there was a film crew there, and a couple of actors filming some kind of segment:

FW121313544_zps90830aaf.jpg

FW121313545_zps8bafec14.jpg

They were not speaking the English.  We called the girl Brazilian Stacy.

Since I couldn't take a photo of the Forbidden Mountain from where Brazilian Stacy was filming her top Dez, I had to take my photo from over here:

FW121313548_zpsd61612d1.jpg

I already mentioned this, but we saw these video display boards for the first time in the very last room of the queue where the FP guests meet up with the standby guests.  In my opinion video monitors mounted on the wall there is totally at odds with the theming.  Plus, the cartoonish Yeti is inconsistent with the serious/scientific aspects of the room that standby guests have just left.  Dumb:

FW121313550_zpseb6d30fb.jpg

So why are these here?

Look at this photo:

FW121313551_zps060a2bad.jpg

See how the Yeti is welcoming Wilby Daniels?  Who the heck is Wilby Daniels?  I think some knucklehead imagineer came up with a plan to have some technology read guests' MagicBands and display their names here in the queue.  I guess they think guests will love that.  I'm not so sure about that plan.  How about you build some more rides, so that the guests spread out among them, and you don't have to think about how to entertain them while they wait?  How about figuring out a way to reduce the wait?

We got seats near the front of the train.  I love those seats, as you can see over the top and catch glimpses of other parts of WDW- like this:

FW121313553_zps9a841f3d.jpg

Whoa.

Hold on a second.

Did you see that?

Used to be, what you saw there from the top was mostly trees.  Then you would stop and think how brilliant Walt was when he bought up so much land for WDW.  He didn't want the outside world to intrude as it had in California.

But, look what the current idiots in charge did.

They sold off some of that land that Walt so carefully purchased to a third party developer, so they could build a non-Disney Four Seasons Resort hotel right in the middle of Walt Disney World.

And, behold, there it is!:

ee4seasons_zps606a8c82.jpg

If Walt's body was intact and in a grave, it would roll over at that sight.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: that thing is an abomination.

I can't believe you can see it from Animal Kingdom.

Here's our ride photo.  The single rider line assures me that I will never have to buy a family photo when it's just me and the twins on one of the rides where they take photos.  What do they think I'm going to do with a family photo with a random stranger in it?:

FW121313555_zps3739b8da.jpg

I know how your feel, partner:

FW121313556_zpsf9e02499.jpg

Brazilian Stacy and her crew were now blocking the EE entrance as we headed out of the gift shop:

FW121313557_zps2e814bf9.jpg

I forgot to mention that I had grabbed some paper FP's before our FP+ ride on EE.  They would be good in less than an hour now, so we headed over to Dinosaur to ride it standby while we waited for our EE FP's go become valid.

On the way there, we got stuck behind the slow walker family. They walked four across so no one could pass.  And occasionally, two would drop back to entice non-slow walkers to try to break through the barricade, but then they would close the gap just in time.  They were good.  So good, they get a photo in a TCD TR.  Way to go Slow Walkers!:

FW121313558_zps770c9e2f.jpg

Dinosaur still had a 20 minute wait posted, but there was no line out the door, so we went in.  The big room with the skeleton in it was empty, and we were in the pre-show room in just a couple of minutes.  For whatever reason, they continue to inflate the posted stand-by times.

The end of this ride was different this time around.  The big Dino that usually pops out from the right wasn't there.  A smaller one came at us from the left.  I'm pointing him out here.  The girls are ducking for cover:

FW121313560_zps250ab848.jpg

That's 30.

Next up, another EE ride then on to the safari.

And then we will very close to the end.

And the big reveal.

Of that free gift I picked up during my backstage drive at the Fort.

TCD

On our checkout day we almost always go to AK because they have a RV parking lot that is only about a 4 minute walk to the place where the tram drops you off at the park entrance. Closer than the bus stops. Plus when your ready to head out your rig is there and your that much closer to I4.

I see what you did there.  Top Dez.  :rofl3:

Abrigado.

On our checkout day we almost always go to AK because they have a RV parking lot that is only about a 4 minute walk to the place where the tram drops you off at the park entrance. Closer than the bus stops. Plus when your ready to head out your rig is there and your that much closer to I4.

Not a bad idea.

I have done that at Epcot on check-out day.  But now they've moved the RV spaces.  When I was there earlier this week, they had the RV parking in a field adjacent to the furthest group of bus stops. Thanks but no thanks.

I have not tried the AK RV parking..  I wasn't sure how busy it might be there, or where I might end up in the parking lot. 

Plus, if I parked at AK, how was I going to get my chili?

But, you do have a good point about being closer I-4.  From the Lodge, I have to drive past the TTC and Polynesian and take that long drive up World Drive.  In heavy traffic.

All in all, I'd rather have the chili.

TCD