So my family gets to FW at least once a year and for the last 3 years running we have noticed one camper that is in the same spot. It is in the end of a loop right off the walking entrance to the Marina and Trails End, very close to where the wand waiving traffic cops direct traffic after the fireworks.

It is a really nice diesel pusher motor home completely decked out with some awesome Disney decorations and a Mercedes parkedin the lot.

Is that someone on this board, or does anyone know the scoop behind this person? I only ask because it is my dream to retire and live at FW and it is really cool to think how awesome those people must be!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every time we go to Disney, my wife gives me ten dollars spending money. Last trip I ate better than any meal plan, drank as much booze as I could hold, swam at nearly every pool, snagged some sweet

I, like Seals, am pretty far from retirement but it is still pretty fun to think about.  We had noticed a few sites being the same from year to year and thought maybe it was a cast member spot or mayb

It looks like for 2014 a premium site rack rate adds up to $36,894. but that does include all the FREE transportation. Oh forgot the tax make that about $43,904 or $ 120.28/day Avg. or $3,658.66/ mont

That's Hilda. To maintain her privacy that's all I'll say about that.

I recently retired and lived at the Fort for a year straight. We decided to move after some careful consideration. The money we saved can be used for other adventures in our life. We may move back at some point but are focused on other things right now.

Hilda isn't a member of this board, but yes, she's been living in that spot for a while now.

We have a few Fiends that are at the Fort a lot during the year, and as Dave said, he was there for quite a while until recently, but I don't think we've got anyone here now that's living there full-time.

That is a day dream of mine too so I'm curious how it works (so that my daydream can be more detailed; I've got at least a decade until retirement unless the lottery thing works out :)) ).  Are there no restrictions on maximum reservations? Does one make a reservation for an entire year at once? Do you pre-pay? Is there a discount for long term?  

I, like Seals, am pretty far from retirement but it is still pretty fun to think about.  We had noticed a few sites being the same from year to year and thought maybe it was a cast member spot or maybe the campground manager or something so we asked at the buffet one night and the waiter told us it was just a year round camper.  At that point, my mind went right to.......THAT IS MY GOAL!

On a side note, I believe when we started remembering some of the more tenured wait staff's names and specific campers and sites from year to year is when I felt like I should be part of some Fort Wilderness group.......here I am hangin' with the Fiends!

Some of those campers are not permanent. They just get the same site every time. They come and go but when they stay at the Fort, they always stay in the same site.

To my knowledge, there are, at this time, 3 sites that are year round and 2 of them have moved sites but never left the Fort. Hilda is the only one who has squatted on the same site for more than a year.

Not to smash dreams, but it is an expensive endeavor. You can find some discounts if your lucky, but for the most part you pay rack rate like everyone else. Now figure the busy times when sites are $120 a night. $120 X 30.......you get the picture. So if this is your dream, your retirement plan better be VERY good. Ours worked out, but figured there's more to life than living at the Fort. Check mark on the bucket list, but time to refocus.

What's your estimated annual cost for the average person?

It looks like for 2014 a premium site rack rate adds up to $36,894. but that does include all the FREE transportation. Oh forgot the tax make that about $43,904 or $ 120.28/day Avg. or $3,658.66/ month avg.

looks doable for me ....If I retire when I'm 243 years old 

We were talking to someone at the Fort over the Holidays who said that Hilda pays a flat rate of $100 per night for her site. I don't know if that's true but anyway you look at it, that's a chunk of change!

I do not believe that one bit. If it's true I'd like to speak to the new fort GM. Why does she get a special rate when there are thousands of folks who return monthly, seasonally, or stay for months at a time. I do know she use to get all kinds of discounts. A TA discount until that was taken away and a cm discount until she lost that job.

It looks like for 2014 a premium site rack rate adds up to $36,894. but that does include all the FREE transportation. Oh forgot the tax make that about $43,904 or $ 120.28/day Avg. or $3,658.66/ month avg.

Hmmm how many fiends can we cram on a site? That would help with the cost...

I managed but I got the best discount available and had a great retirement plan. If I had to pay the $3000 a month I'd never have done it. But that is one of the good things about the fort. You don't have those permanent settlements all over the place like other camp grounds in Florida.

I do not believe that one bit. If it's true I'd like to speak to the new fort GM. Why does she get a special rate when there are thousands of folks who return monthly, seasonally, or stay for months at a time. I do know she use to get all kinds of discounts. A TA discount until that was taken away and a cm discount until she lost that job.

Maybe because there is so much junk on her site...lol

That is the one in the 100 loop. I also heard she lost her job. What got me is right after she started staying there is when they blocked it so you couldn't take your GC through.

Other than the individuals directly involved, no one has all the facts regarding that incident.

It was discussed in depth when it occurred, so I don't think it's an issue that we need to revisit here.

What got me is right after she started staying there is when they blocked it so you couldn't take your GC through.

Stopping the carts had nothing to do with her being on that site it was done since too many peope had no respect for those who were walking and drove like idiots. That along with the constant traffic in 100 is why the it was blocked off.

LOL!!  Don't forget too - no utilities!  You can leave all the lights on all the time.  8)

We were talking to someone at the Fort over the Holidays who said that Hilda pays a flat rate of $100 per night for her site. I don't know if that's true but anyway you look at it, that's a chunk of change!

I wouldn't believe that.  The Fort is an interesting place when it comes to rumors about stuff like this.  I think they grow them out by the old swamp trail.  

Hmmm how many fiends can we cram on a site? That would help with the cost...

Now you're thinking!  If we max out at 10 that's only $3,689 per year!

Cheaper than a typical assisted living facility!

Sad but true.

LOL....it should be titled "respect the fort" :)

Oh geez... please put that one on the debate board?   8)

That is the one in the 100 loop. I also heard she lost her job. What got me is right after she started staying there is when they blocked it so you couldn't take your GC through.

See comment above re: rumors at the Fort.

However one fact is that she'd been staying on that site long before they blocked that walkway.

Other than the individuals directly involved, no one has all the facts regarding that incident.

It was discussed in depth when it occurred, so I don't think it's an issue that we need to revisit here.

Agreed.

So my family gets to FW at least once a year and for the last 3 years running we have noticed one camper that is in the same spot. It is in the end of a loop right off the walking entrance to the Marina and Trails End, very close to where the wand waiving traffic cops direct traffic after the fireworks.

It is a really nice diesel pusher motor home completely decked out with some awesome Disney decorations and a Mercedes parkedin the lot.

Is that someone on this board, or does anyone know the scoop behind this person? I only ask because it is my dream to retire and live at FW and it is really cool to think how awesome those people must be!

Where in PA are you?  We just moved up here this past summer.  Haven't had the pleasure of dragging our camper all the way to the Fort, yet.  It's still in FL, but will be up here eventually.  Glad to hear we aren't the only crazies to be doing that!

I used to always wonder about all of the long term guests, as well.  But I eventually learned who all of them are and a bit of their stories from hanging out here.  Like you, I can only dream about being there all the time and envy those lucky folks who are.

The cart path was only blocked for safety reasons due to inconsiderate golf cart drivers/increased golf cart volume at the Fort and through that loop.  No connection with the guests in the area.

As for the other topic that has been hinted at, I agree with Lou……it doesn't need to be discussed any more.  Not even on the "debate" thread.  If anyone feels the need to revisit that, go on over to the Facebook page someone set up about the Fort.  It comes up on there just about every day.