Cheaper than a typical assisted living facility!

Not to start a debate but I beg to differ. I'm in the assisted living business for less than $100 a day you get 3 chef prepared meals a day, housekeeping, all personal laundry done, on site maintenance to fix what you need free of charge, a range of activities, trip outs to shops and restaraunts, transportation to doctors, on site clinic, a general store, personal care and a large pool and whirlpool with a guarentee of no freeloaders while being one monthly fee. So how can anyone say the fort is a better deal?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every time we go to Disney, my wife gives me ten dollars spending money. Last trip I ate better than any meal plan, drank as much booze as I could hold, swam at nearly every pool, snagged some sweet

I, like Seals, am pretty far from retirement but it is still pretty fun to think about.  We had noticed a few sites being the same from year to year and thought maybe it was a cast member spot or mayb

It looks like for 2014 a premium site rack rate adds up to $36,894. but that does include all the FREE transportation. Oh forgot the tax make that about $43,904 or $ 120.28/day Avg. or $3,658.66/ mont

That does not describe the four of five facilities my grandparents were at. Glad you're in a nice one. I guess I should have said "typical of what I've seen".

The ones my grandmother were in cost a ton too, $5,000 a month. She didn't need any care at that one either. It wasn't top of the line or anything like that.

although, the fort is a better deal because you go to the fort for enjoyment not because you need help in activities of daily living. I guess it's like jail offers a lot of ammenities one May not have but that does not mean I want to be in jail

It looks like for 2014 a premium site rack rate adds up to $36,894. but that does include all the FREE transportation. Oh forgot the tax make that about $43,904 or $ 120.28/day Avg. or $3,658.66/ month avg.

looks doable for me ....If I retire when I'm 243 years old 

I can get that number down by sleeping in my tent in a tent/popup loop. Sometimes those are $60 a night I think. Utilities are included so I can take a lengthy shower every day for that price. I would hang out in various resort lounges on days when I'm not in the parks or when the weather is horrible.  I love people watching so that would be an activity that would keep me occupied for many days. I'd read and get lots of exercise walking around.  I'd only use my old car for going to a cheap grocery store for food. Splurge for meals occasionally.

I'm not thinking of a permanent stay, probably only for a year or so since there are a number of other places I'd like to live for a year. Yes, I'm a daydreamer!  And this is related to a fun conversation I had with my son about whether a kid (or "homeless" person) could hide out at WDW and for how long and what would he do to survive. 

And this is related to a fun conversation I had with my DS about whether a kid (or "homeless" person) could hide out at WDW and for how long and what would he do to survive. 

That is an interesting thought. I wonder how long one could "hide out" at WDW and live cheaply. Any Fiends want to try this?

Set a budget of $100 a month. Could you spend a few months here?

That would be an interesting trip report to read. Maybe FF.net could front the money to get this going. An experiment in social behavior.

I would add, no mooching off fiends at the fort. Must be done totally on your own. Cause it would be too easy to mooch.

That is an interesting thought. I wonder how long one could "hide out" at WDW and live cheaply. Any Fiends want to try this?

Set a budget of $100 a month. Could you spend a few months here?

I could see how it could be done easily

Nobody bats an eye if folks are hanging out in hotel lobbies at all hours, there are numerous pool showers at the various resorts that are open during the daytime hours, Comfort stations at the Fort. Free parking without gates can be found at DTD, any of the water parks. If you moved the car around, security probably wouldn't notice.(If you didn't have car, then no car to notice, take Lynx to get to a grocery store for essentials). If you hung out at a different resort each overnight hours, it would take awhile for security to notice. There are microwaves in the various food courts and hot water dispensers for Ramen Noodles, etc. Ride the buses to get around. The biggest obstacle is laundry, cause that's pretty expensive. You would need two or three changes of clothing, and need to keep them clean and tidy to not draw suspicion.

I could see how it could be done easily

Nobody bats an eye if folks are hanging out in hotel lobbies at all hours, there are numerous pool showers at the various resorts that are open during the daytime hours, Comfort stations at the Fort. Free parking without gates can be found at DTD, any of the water parks. If you moved the car around, security probably wouldn't notice.(If you didn't have car, then no car to notice, take Lynx to get to a grocery store for essentials). If you hung out at a different resort each overnight hours, it would take awhile for security to notice. There are microwaves in the various food courts and hot water dispensers for Ramen Noodles, etc. Ride the buses to get around. The biggest obstacle is laundry, cause that's pretty expensive. You would need two or three changes of clothing, and need to keep them clean and tidy to not draw suspicion.

Ok so when are we doing this?   8)

Damn Carol. you've given this a lot of thought! Is there something you would like to tell us?

These are many of the ideas my son and I thought of. We actually had this conversation while sitting in the lobby of WL and decided it was a pretty nice place to live.  We agreed we would probably get a refillable mug and keep extending it at various locations -- hot chocolate is pretty filling.   We said shower at the Fort would probably be easiest.  An alternative to laundry could be going to the various lost and founds and saying one lost a "blue t-shirt" or something. "Is this is?" "Yes, that's it!"  An Annual Pass, while expensive, would help supplement the locations one could hide out in (good long naps in the People Mover, for example). I'd love to give this a try. 

I don't know about the Fort, but it's being done elsewhere at WDW already.

I've had them come on the buses. They're well known to some of the drivers.

They can hangout, take naps, sleep, workout, and take showers at just about any of the larger resort's, and DTD CM Services Buildings.

They're open 24/7, no ID in order to get in, and no one is there to check. Just pretend that you belong there and no will ask.

I don't know if, or how, they get food.

Where in PA are you?  We just moved up here this past summer.  Haven't had the pleasure of dragging our camper all the way to the Fort, yet.  It's still in FL, but will be up here eventually.  Glad to hear we aren't the only crazies to be doing that!

I used to always wonder about all of the long term guests, as well.  But I eventually learned who all of them are and a bit of their stories from hanging out here.  Like you, I can only dream about being there all the time and envy those lucky folks who are.

The cart path was only blocked for safety reasons due to inconsiderate golf cart drivers/increased golf cart volume at the Fort and through that loop.  No connection with the guests in the area.

As for the other topic that has been hinted at, I agree with Lou……it doesn't need to be discussed any more.  Not even on the "debate" thread.  If anyone feels the need to revisit that, go on over to the Facebook page someone set up about the Fort.  It comes up on there just about every day.